Brasserie Max & Julie
4315 Montrose Blvd
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Brasserie Max & Julie
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxandjulie.net/Brasserie/Home.html
- Phone: 7135240070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:30pm - 10pm. Tuesday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm Wednesday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm Thursday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 11pm Friday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 11pm Saturday 11am - 11pm non stop. (Brunch served from 11am - 3pm) Sunday: 11am - 9pm non stop. (Brunch served from 11am - 3pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jeff Boudreaux
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Upon request and agreement of both parties.
- Private Party Facilities: We have an enclosed upstairs private room that serves up to 16 people and another upstairs room that can accommodate up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sylvie 713 524 0070
A word from Brasserie Max & Julie
First French Brasserie in Houston, Brasserie Max and Julie serves traditional French food as you may find it in Paris or Lyon. Boeuf Bourguignon, Steak Tartar, Onion Soup and soufflé are but a few of the many dishes served. Chef Boudreaux love of fine cuisine and a wide array of French wines from our cellar are sure to make your evening a pleasant one. Patio dining is available year round in one of our two patios ( upstairs and downstairs) so feel free to simply request outside dinning should you choose to do so.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Max & Julie reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (56)romantic (52)special occasion (49)great for brunch (43)notable wine list (41)great for outdoor dining (32)great for lunch (25)hot spot (7)good for groups (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- ServiceSundayBrunchDined on 9/28/2014The food is always excellent. Service can be hit or miss, sometimes great, other times they forget you are there. Last visit, it was the latter.Special Features:
- Sauces are terrific!SavorySaucesDined on 9/20/2014Your sauces that accompany your Boeuf a la Wayne are excellent! Your frites (french fries) are tasty, but since we try to eat healthy, we would have preferred to replace the frites with steamed veggies or other healthier option. Our waitress did not let us know if we could replace the frites with anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like Paris!KnowGodtrustChristDined on 9/19/2014The look, feel and taste of this place makes me miss Paris!Special Features:
- Good place.ArtgourmetDined on 9/15/2014Good ambiance, food, and good service. Nice and quiet upstairs if that is what you prefer. Not inexpensive, but reasonable. The truit is divine!Special Features:
- BrunchSurajShaynaDined on 9/13/2014I took the love of my life for brunch at this amazing place, and she loved it! Beautiful place, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Severely disappointing foodDLukeDined on 9/12/2014Over the past 6 years I've recommended this place to anyone looking for well-executed French food in Houston. That time, however, is over. While the service remains acceptable, the food quality has taken a dive. The salads were enjoyable. My wife had the Duck roasted with Honey and Lavender. While it was neither dry nor tough, it lacked any hint of lavender scent or flavor. I chose the cassoulet, and for 28$, it should be a truly outstanding example of cassoulet. Instead, I received a small iron skillet(?) of undercooked gritty beans, three thin slices of sausage, and a dessicated, nearly inedible duck leg. If you aren't able or willing to present this dish correctly, why even offer it? We left still hungry, & the entrees half-eaten.
- Overall positive experienceJeremyl82VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food is tasty but our reservation was set for 830pm and we weren't seated until 900pm. What's the purpose of the reservation if we aren't seated near our time?
- Lovely dining experienceDukeDined on 9/1/2014Went here for my anniversary and the food and dessert was delightful! Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Very accommodating service. Reasonble prices. Outdoor dining permits quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houston Restaurant WeeksTakurdziDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I along with another couple decided to check out Brasserie Max and Julie the last weekend of the 2014 HRW. The Wait staff is very attentative and they do not hover. Our glasses were never empty, and the food was fantastic. This was a great place to go and have a great meal and a wonderful place to catch up with some friends. I'm still not sure where you are supose to park for this resturant, however there is ample parking on the street if you are willing to walk a block or two.Special Features:
- Noisy But NiceNoisyButNiceDined on 8/31/2014Very noisy environment and close quarters with other diners. I had trouble hearing my companion because of the band and just the noise level of the place. It made our meal less enjoyable and our food was delicious but the environment definitely put a damper on our meal.Special Features:
- Very Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014We went for Sunday brunch. It was very nice and the food was really good. It was a little noisy but most Houston restaurants are this way. They have patio dining but we ate inside as its summer. I like this restaurant a lot and I recommend it to anyone that likes French food ! Good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightjjjjDined on 8/30/2014We've dined at M&J numerous times, all with great experiences. Tonight, the french onion soup was burned (twice) and the waitress forgot to submit our souffle order to the kitchen.
- So glad we found this onemuseumdist03Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent very French brasserie cuisine. Service friendly and helpful. Tends to be expensive but worth it for a special night out. Sommelier was especially helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodLive2EatDined on 8/30/2014Both the Food and the Service were excellent! I would come back definitely!! I have gone to five restaurant for the Houston Restaurant week and this place by far is the best one. Our glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below standardselbrujoDined on 8/28/2014After a mediocre dinner at Max and Julie like a year ago, we decided to give it a try again. Well, this time was as mediocre as the previous time. The place resembles a typical French bistro and the menu is very well presented and balanced, as well as the wine list. Service is attentive and helpful. But the house paté is served cold and hard just coming out of the fridge which is kind of unpleasant. And it was bland. No flavor at all. Beef Bourguignon, great texture on meat and sauce, but completely lacking flavor; Entrecote (Rib eye), asked for medium rare, it came well done. No flavor at all either. Fries were very good though, same as the bread/butter that were amazing. No excuses. French food is about flavor and Max and Julie lost it.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceTravellerDined on 8/24/2014A pity that I have only discovered Max & Julie after 5 years in Houston. The excellent French food and ambiance are definitely worth coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Houston restaurantRomanticDinnerDined on 8/23/2014No words to describe how great this restaurant is. Fell in love with their pepper-steak and have been ordering the same ever since! My girlfriend usually tries something different; she has had it all, different kinds of chicken, fish and steak dishes...she said she loved every single one (also her favorite restaurant). Somelier was right on point. Best food vs. $$$ value in Houston! I wish I could eat here everyday of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 8/22/2014Great meal. Good service . Very attractive mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menumayitamartDined on 8/21/2014We had a very special time and very delicious meal. Loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French Food in H townvgk53Dined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to Brasserie Max & Julie's - how wonderful it was again!. The Boeuf Bourguignon is rich in flavor and melts in your mouth. The Onion Soup was lovely with the right amount of cheese and bread. The tomato salad although good was a bit disappointing as the tomatoes were not as flavorful as I would have hoped. Topped off the evening with puffed pastry stuffed with vanilla ice cream and warm chocolate sauce- outstanding. Again some of the servers are actually from France and all very attentive. We look forward to dining at Max & Julie's again.Special Features:
- Sunday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014One of the few Zagat listed restaurants open for Sunday night dinner. Seated in a small tucked away dining room, feared being "out of sight out of mind", but service was fine.Special Features:
- Would absolutely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Food, wine great as usual. The service was extremely slow!! I do believe they had more people than they had anticipated and just not enough servers. The servers were almost running, Or maybe the kitchen was overpowered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HRW BrunchrosekaltDined on 8/17/2014Service was on the slower side, but we didn't mind because we weren't in any rush. The menu was fantastic, altogether we had the duck confit & brie crepe, the cured salmon, the quiche lorraine, the croques madame et monsieur, the profiteroles, and the tarte citron. Everything was delicious, but the clear winner was the duck confit & brie crepe - cooked to perfection, the flavors are phenomenal and well-paired. Only drawback was that the A/C unit could not keep up with the number of people in the restaurant, so the air inside was rather warm and humid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite places2winodinosDined on 8/17/2014We discovered this place a few years ago when out-of-town visitors asked us to meet them somewhere for a special dinner. We picked this restaurant and it's become a "must visit" whenever our friends come to town. In the past, we've enjoyed dinner and lunch. This was our first brunch. Since we had a time constraint, we went early but service became spotty as soon as the restaurant became busy. But that didn't detract from the wonderful food. The only things that would have made it better would be toast points served with the cured salmon appetizer and some kind of bread, maybe a brioche, served with the scrambled eggs with truffled mushrooms. Croque Madame was the best I've ever had, including in Paris! (The view in Paris was better!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/16/2014MIxed review. went there for Houston Restaurant weeks. The mains were very good-coq au vin and seafood papilotte. The seafood soup to start had no taste and needed loads of salt and pepper. Do chefs not taste their soups/sauces? Sommelier recommended a chateau neuf du pape that was rather thin but the bordeaux he recommended was very nice. desserts were lackluster.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.MysticrockDined on 8/15/2014Food was wonderful, layers of flavors. Lovely wines by the glass. Delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014We recently returned from Paris and were looking for a French cafe fix...this place fit the bill. I found the Sunday brunch delicious and the service excellent, all in a pretty setting. My only sort-of complaint is being charged 1.25 for a smear of jam to go with my croissant (also a la carte). That's a minor quibble though, and I'm sure it cuts down on waste which is a good thing.Special Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Brasserie Max & Julie offered a beautiful atmosphere with great food in the heart of Houston. The waitstaff was always timely and pleasant and the food superb. We had the chance to dine on fresh oysters (not of the Gulf Coast variety) from various locations while enjoying a nice glass of wine as we waited for our main courses. The trout dish was superb, the beef stew hearty, and the bread soft but crusty (as it should be). All in all, it is a great place to bring that special someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would Return AgainkrisandmacDined on 8/8/2014Love the space and the aesthetic. Feels formal at night, though people dress casual. Enjoyed a French speaking waiter. Service was attentive. Food service was slow, noticeably slower than the next table. Food is traditional and on point. Dining room was uncomfortably hot, but finally cooled later in the meal per request. Would return on occasion. Expense is more than I look for. Houston Restaurant week was a perfect reason to enjoy.Special Features:
- Not authenticSpringFoodieDined on 8/5/2014Brasseries put great attention on their food and customers. Neither was evident here. Food was mediocre, Americanized portions. Incredibly long time required to bring entrees. Great attention being paid to photographing dishes on the bar but what was served ... Not so much. Great ambience without the food or service to make a good brassier.
- Sunday Brunchtexaggie79Dined on 8/3/2014The waitstaff is nice, but it took almost 40 mins to get our food, which tasted great. It could not be blamed on being busy because more than half the tables were vacant at the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and deliciousFabfoodieDined on 8/3/2014I came with my mother for brunch on Sunday. All of our food was great! Get the coffee and pain au chocolat! It's so authentically French!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres bien!DixieDined on 8/1/2014We love Brasserie Max & Julie. The service is always friendly, knowledgable, and accommodating. The food is always excellent. The wine list is great. The ambience is at once cozy and fancy. Truly a gem.Special Features:
- Sorta...meh.DharmaWheelerDined on 7/31/2014Maybe this is what Houston thinks is what passes for good French brasserie food, but it is sub-par and over-priced at best. If you are going to do French brasserie food at these prices ($150 for 2, 1 bottle of wine), you better nail it. Brasserie food is very simple but must be done well. Service staff were very nice & highly responsive but the food mediocre. Zagat has rated this place WAY too high. They really lose it on some of the basics...the very basics... like good French bread and frites. Their bread was awful. Salad ditto. Their 'Steak Pommes Frites' fries tasted worse than McDonalds. Onion Soup with a chunky gloppy mess. Beef Bourguignon was served in an iron fry pan like a Denny's Grand Slam Sizzle and as dry and unappealing.
- Love, love, love!ZaphelpsDined on 7/28/2014Wonderful restaurant! I ordered the Ris De Veau ( sweetbreads) in mushroom Madeira sauce, and they were tender and delicious. Others at the table had the marvelous Trout Provençale and the Boeuf à la Wayne (which is sautéed beef with three different dipping sauces). We finished with Tarte Merangué au Citron and Tarte Tintin, (upside down apple caramel tart with crême fraîche). We had several bottles of a lovely rosė from Provence. The waiter was great; attentive yet non obtrusive. Lovely evening all round!Special Features:
- MamaJuiceVIPDined on 7/27/2014Brasserie Max & Julie is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. The food and service are always consistent and the staff makes you feel like they really appreciate your business. We have eaten several times and always leave feeling we have had a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Fancy that!RMcK37VIPDined on 7/26/2014A French waiter in a French bistro ... fancy that! Great all around .. service, wine, food, ... all great. We will be back.Special Features:
- excellent food, excellent serviceburgersandbrewsDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Max & Julie's a number of times for brunch and the food is always amazing and the service is always great. I was particularly impressed with the service the last time we went to M&J's for brunch. I made an online reservation and requested a table upstairs as it is normally quieter and more charming. We were seated upstairs as I had requested even though the section wasn't open so we essentially had a private dining room. The waiter was amazing and never forgot about us. He came to make sure the food was okay with every course he served and was extremely friendly and generous with recommendations. M&J's is a favorite of mine and I will continue to return. However, I must say my last experience there really wowed me.Special Features:
- A FAVORITElafranDined on 7/25/2014We frequently go here for a late lunch. The lunch specials are a good value and the full menu is always available.Special Features: