Brasserie Max & Julie
4315 Montrose Blvd
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Brasserie Max & Julie
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.maxandjulie.net/Brasserie/Home.html
- Phone: (713) 524-0070
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:30pm - 10pm. Tuesday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm Wednesday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10pm Thursday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 11pm Friday Lunch: 11am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 11pm Saturday 11am - 11pm non stop. (Brunch served from 11am - 3pm) Sunday: 11am - 9pm non stop. (Brunch served from 11am - 3pm)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Jeff Boudreaux
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Upon request and agreement of both parties.
- Private Party Facilities: We have an enclosed upstairs private room that serves up to 16 people and another upstairs room that can accommodate up to 40 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sylvie 713 524 0070
A word from Brasserie Max & Julie
First French Brasserie in Houston, Brasserie Max and Julie serves traditional French food as you may find it in Paris or Lyon. Boeuf Bourguignon, Steak Tartar, Onion Soup and soufflé are but a few of the many dishes served. Chef Boudreaux love of fine cuisine and a wide array of French wines from our cellar are sure to make your evening a pleasant one. Patio dining is available year round in one of our two patios ( upstairs and downstairs) so feel free to simply request outside dinning should you choose to do so.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Max & Julie reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (62)romantic (51)notable wine list (46)special occasion (45)great for brunch (38)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (24)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)scenic view (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good and BadcoursedoctorDined on 11/14/2014Our server was from France and was fabulous. The Pate was served cold, which neither my date or I liked. We both prefer it at room temperature so something was lost when we had it had it heated. We should have been given a choice. My Steak au Poivre was OK, but my date's Duck dish was below average. It was served 2 ways and one was sliced and tough. For dessert the caramel tart was burnt, but was replaced by some wonderful bread pudding. All in all, OK but not great. We will probably try again, but kind of expensive too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/10/2014This is as authentic a French restaurant as I've found anywhere in the US. The food is delicious - my husband and I both had beef - and the wine list is extensive! You can get wine by the carafe, half bottle, or whole bottle, which is not an option you have in most restaurants. The atmosphere is wonderful; I almost forgot we were in Houston!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I was visiting from out of town. Dinner at the brasserie was one of the best meals I hand had in a long time. Waitstaff were helpful without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014private comments below. my wife's fish dish was wonderful. My steak was not so good.Special Features:
- Great food, great restaurantNJMMDined on 11/1/2014I've always liked Max & Julie's, it is one of those few places that provide delicious food consistently, with no fuss. Their staff is always knowledgeable about the menus and wine options. Further, they serve items that would be near impossible to find elsewhere like bone marrow and ris-de-veau. And the soufflé is heavenly...Special Features:
- Another Excellent BrunchArchbackVIPDined on 11/1/2014A party of six for Saturday Brunch. Max & Julie's is a steal - very reasonable prices for excellent food and service. Everyone loved their meal. It is also relatively easy to get a table here on weekends and the noise level is low enough so you can actually have a conversation. Great outdoor terrace too during Houston's patio season. Highly recommended as always.I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice staffOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Knowledgeable staff. Would be nice to have background musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Excellent food and service. We always treat ourselves by dining here when we are in Houston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Neighborhood GemSeisrunnerDined on 10/19/2014Max and Julie's is a great restaurant, with wonderful food, and a very comfortable atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and attentive. We had a wonderful, relaxed time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something not quite right....?StevenCVIPDined on 10/19/2014BM&J has become something of a regular spot for my wife and I to enjoy brunch with good friends. We enjoy the atmosphere, sitting outdoors and the food and service have always been wonderful. This weekend, we noticed a lot of new staff; from the hostess to the servers... didn't feel it's usually friendly self and the food was ok, but regular menu items were somehow different... Not sure what it was, but not its normal 5-stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely French BistroMarilynVIPDined on 10/18/2014We had a very enjoyable meal. The food and service were outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This is the 2nd time I have dined at the restauraunt. Excellent service and food. I have booked a perty for 10 next month to celebrate my wife's birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown FindchuckVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our first visit to Houston, picked a random place from the Open Table list that did not have the word Barbeque in the name, and it was PERFECT. Great food, wonderful atmospher, outstanding wine list, excellent service. If you're in the area, this is a real find.Special Features:
- Talk about QualityKandSDined on 10/5/2014If one is looking for outstanding food, service and ambiance this is the place to go!!! We were with a party of 4, each ordering something different and each person exclaiming about their selection. My wife has lunch their often and I have dinner there as often as I am able always with the same results: 100% satisfied. Ken WeatherlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsSugardocDined on 10/4/2014M&J never fails to deliver outstanding food and wine and service. Steak au poivre was steak au perfect. A bit too much salt on the bistro french fries though. And oh that bread!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old FaithfulSAPDAVIPDined on 10/4/2014Brasserie Max & Julie is the kind of place to go to when you want a classic French brasserie type of meal; tasty and well prepared and does not disappoint;where the staff get to know you and the service is always excellent. We have been going there a few times a year since it opened and even though the menu is limited, there is enough variety for everyone in a party of friends to find something that they will enjoy or you can always go for the same dish that you really love and know because it is consistently good. Their cellar is impeccable and there are few restaurants in Houston, if they even provide bread, that have bread as good and crusty as they have.Special Features:
- ServiceSundayBrunchDined on 9/28/2014The food is always excellent. Service can be hit or miss, sometimes great, other times they forget you are there. Last visit, it was the latter.Special Features:
- Sauces are terrific!SavorySaucesDined on 9/20/2014Your sauces that accompany your Boeuf a la Wayne are excellent! Your frites (french fries) are tasty, but since we try to eat healthy, we would have preferred to replace the frites with steamed veggies or other healthier option. Our waitress did not let us know if we could replace the frites with anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like Paris!KnowGodtrustChristDined on 9/19/2014The look, feel and taste of this place makes me miss Paris!Special Features:
- Good place.ArtgourmetDined on 9/15/2014Good ambiance, food, and good service. Nice and quiet upstairs if that is what you prefer. Not inexpensive, but reasonable. The truit is divine!Special Features:
- BrunchSurajShaynaDined on 9/13/2014I took the love of my life for brunch at this amazing place, and she loved it! Beautiful place, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Severely disappointing foodDLukeDined on 9/12/2014Over the past 6 years I've recommended this place to anyone looking for well-executed French food in Houston. That time, however, is over. While the service remains acceptable, the food quality has taken a dive. The salads were enjoyable. My wife had the Duck roasted with Honey and Lavender. While it was neither dry nor tough, it lacked any hint of lavender scent or flavor. I chose the cassoulet, and for 28$, it should be a truly outstanding example of cassoulet. Instead, I received a small iron skillet(?) of undercooked gritty beans, three thin slices of sausage, and a dessicated, nearly inedible duck leg. If you aren't able or willing to present this dish correctly, why even offer it? We left still hungry, & the entrees half-eaten.
- Overall positive experienceJeremyl82VIPDined on 9/6/2014Food is tasty but our reservation was set for 830pm and we weren't seated until 900pm. What's the purpose of the reservation if we aren't seated near our time?
- Lovely dining experienceDukeDined on 9/1/2014Went here for my anniversary and the food and dessert was delightful! Will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/1/2014Very accommodating service. Reasonble prices. Outdoor dining permits quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houston Restaurant WeeksTakurdziDined on 8/31/2014My wife and I along with another couple decided to check out Brasserie Max and Julie the last weekend of the 2014 HRW. The Wait staff is very attentative and they do not hover. Our glasses were never empty, and the food was fantastic. This was a great place to go and have a great meal and a wonderful place to catch up with some friends. I'm still not sure where you are supose to park for this resturant, however there is ample parking on the street if you are willing to walk a block or two.Special Features:
- Noisy But NiceNoisyButNiceDined on 8/31/2014Very noisy environment and close quarters with other diners. I had trouble hearing my companion because of the band and just the noise level of the place. It made our meal less enjoyable and our food was delicious but the environment definitely put a damper on our meal.Special Features:
- Very Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014We went for Sunday brunch. It was very nice and the food was really good. It was a little noisy but most Houston restaurants are this way. They have patio dining but we ate inside as its summer. I like this restaurant a lot and I recommend it to anyone that likes French food ! Good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off nightjjjjDined on 8/30/2014We've dined at M&J numerous times, all with great experiences. Tonight, the french onion soup was burned (twice) and the waitress forgot to submit our souffle order to the kitchen.
- So glad we found this onemuseumdist03Dined on 8/30/2014Excellent very French brasserie cuisine. Service friendly and helpful. Tends to be expensive but worth it for a special night out. Sommelier was especially helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodLive2EatDined on 8/30/2014Both the Food and the Service were excellent! I would come back definitely!! I have gone to five restaurant for the Houston Restaurant week and this place by far is the best one. Our glasses were never empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below standardselbrujoDined on 8/28/2014After a mediocre dinner at Max and Julie like a year ago, we decided to give it a try again. Well, this time was as mediocre as the previous time. The place resembles a typical French bistro and the menu is very well presented and balanced, as well as the wine list. Service is attentive and helpful. But the house paté is served cold and hard just coming out of the fridge which is kind of unpleasant. And it was bland. No flavor at all. Beef Bourguignon, great texture on meat and sauce, but completely lacking flavor; Entrecote (Rib eye), asked for medium rare, it came well done. No flavor at all either. Fries were very good though, same as the bread/butter that were amazing. No excuses. French food is about flavor and Max and Julie lost it.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceTravellerDined on 8/24/2014A pity that I have only discovered Max & Julie after 5 years in Houston. The excellent French food and ambiance are definitely worth coming back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Houston restaurantRomanticDinnerDined on 8/23/2014No words to describe how great this restaurant is. Fell in love with their pepper-steak and have been ordering the same ever since! My girlfriend usually tries something different; she has had it all, different kinds of chicken, fish and steak dishes...she said she loved every single one (also her favorite restaurant). Somelier was right on point. Best food vs. $$$ value in Houston! I wish I could eat here everyday of my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeyDined on 8/22/2014Great meal. Good service . Very attractive mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent menumayitamartDined on 8/21/2014We had a very special time and very delicious meal. Loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French Food in H townvgk53Dined on 8/17/2014This was our second visit to Brasserie Max & Julie's - how wonderful it was again!. The Boeuf Bourguignon is rich in flavor and melts in your mouth. The Onion Soup was lovely with the right amount of cheese and bread. The tomato salad although good was a bit disappointing as the tomatoes were not as flavorful as I would have hoped. Topped off the evening with puffed pastry stuffed with vanilla ice cream and warm chocolate sauce- outstanding. Again some of the servers are actually from France and all very attentive. We look forward to dining at Max & Julie's again.Special Features:
- Sunday dinnermariaperuVIPDined on 8/17/2014One of the few Zagat listed restaurants open for Sunday night dinner. Seated in a small tucked away dining room, feared being "out of sight out of mind", but service was fine.Special Features:
- Would absolutely returnOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Food, wine great as usual. The service was extremely slow!! I do believe they had more people than they had anticipated and just not enough servers. The servers were almost running, Or maybe the kitchen was overpowered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HRW BrunchrosekaltDined on 8/17/2014Service was on the slower side, but we didn't mind because we weren't in any rush. The menu was fantastic, altogether we had the duck confit & brie crepe, the cured salmon, the quiche lorraine, the croques madame et monsieur, the profiteroles, and the tarte citron. Everything was delicious, but the clear winner was the duck confit & brie crepe - cooked to perfection, the flavors are phenomenal and well-paired. Only drawback was that the A/C unit could not keep up with the number of people in the restaurant, so the air inside was rather warm and humid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.