1131 Kensington RD NW
Calgary, AB T2N 4M7Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasseriekensington.com/
- Phone: 4034574148
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 3:00pm-11:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, International
- Executive Chef: Cam Dobranski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Brasserie Kensington
An eclectic interpretation of an old world inspired brasserie. Experience our rustic approach to "French veigned”' cuisine and traditionally inspired beer and wine in the heart of Kensington Village. Don't take us too seriously--we are just here to share our passions with those that crave...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Kensington reviews from OpenTable diners
- middle of the road at best,smallcraigVIPDined on 12/1/2012middle of the road at best,small portions for the cost.Service was very good.Probably won't return soon.lots of better dining on the same blockSpecial Features:
- the food was great! escargotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012the food was great! escargot appetizer was delicious.Special Features:
- One Great Place!!!GannDined on 11/20/2012I have been here before and will definitely return again and again! I ordered the swordfish special, what a great choice! it was cooked perfectly, juicy and extremely flavourful. Others had two different styles of skirt steak, both were delicious and their muscles & Pom frites were a hit too! Great beer selection and great service, a definite hit! Thank you for another fantastic meal, looking forward to our next dining experience!Special Features:
- Definitely check it out!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/17/2012The wait staff are really nice, friendly and knowledgable. I had the braised duck with brie, arugula aioli and crispy onions. This sandwich is amazing, all the ingredients comes together nicely and balances out. In addition to the duck, I had the parmesan pomme frites with white truffle oil. I didn't taste much of the truffle oil BUT if you are a big fan of thin crispy fries (like me), this is the place to go to!! (but it was a tab bit too salty for me). I also got the Duck french onion soup. THIS WAS AMAZING! I thought it was a bit too salty as well (but I eat light salt) but they do load the soup with A LOT of Gruyére Cheese and two good sized pieces of bread. I LOVED how cheesy it was! The soup was rich and had TONS of onions :)Special Features:
- Any restaurant that cooksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012Any restaurant that cooks with duck fat has to be great! Love the ambience of this neighbourhood gem and pretty much everything on the menu. Steelhead trout duo, foie gras torchon, escargot & brussel sprouts, and steak tartare are all fantastic. When they have oysters available, order them: fresh, and served with a perfect mignonette and freshly grated horseradish. You will be hard pressed to find a better steak frite or cassoulet in the city. If you order anything on the menu that can be dipped in gravy, put your calorie counter down for one night and order a side of their duck fat gravy. You will be dreaming about it for days - it's SO (and I repeat, SO) worth the indulgence. Bon appetit!Special Features:
- Overall the food was great,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/11/2012Overall the food was great, only issue as they seemed to be understaffed on a relatively slow night. Got by that and enjoyed great food and good selection on the menu from drinks to food.Special Features:
- It was absolutely freezingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/10/2012It was absolutely freezing by the window, the service was quite slow, may have ordered more drinks if our waitress came by, because we were a table of six we were going to be charged 18% anyway. Decent food, but not really a great experience overall.
- We had a good meal. Our serverDinoutcalVIPDined on 11/10/2012We had a good meal. Our server was excellent - very helpful and attentive. Unfortunately there was a cold breeze every time the door opened.Special Features:
- New date night spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/4/2012Read about this restaurant in Culinaire magazine & decided to give it a try. So glad we did! Nice & cozy bistro vibe. Scallops & pork belly were to die for! Poutine was good but next time I want to try the fois gras one. Creme brulee with popcorn on the side was delicious to the last bite! Service was friendly & efficient. Had a beautiful evening view overlooking Kensington. First time here but definitely won't be our last!Special Features:
- It seemed like a good spot,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012It seemed like a good spot, unfortunately the restaurant didn't honour our reservation, which they took several days in advance. We left after waiting 40min past our reservation. The food looked good, but we didn't get a chance to try it.
- The restaurant was difficultOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2012The restaurant was difficult to find as the sign is not visible from the street. The food was good, but there was only one waiter on duty. While he was friendly and did his best, he was overtaxed and the service suffered for it. Also, the cappuccino machine was out of commission so we had to make due with plebe coffee (which came with only one tiny container of cream for four people; we had to ask for more and by the time it arrived the coffee was cold). We gave him a 20% tip anyway because we felt sorry for him. I wouldn't go back unless I thought they had dealt with their staffing problem.
- The most notable part of ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/20/2012The most notable part of our evening was our server! She was terrific; she struck the right balance between the appropriate amount of attention without hovering. She had great suggestions and she made for a wonderful night out. I did find the restaurant a little too noisy to carry on any intimate conversation. In the future, we will ask for a table away from the door, the draft was unbearable.Special Features:
- I go to Brasserie occasionallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2012I go to Brasserie occasionally and usually enjoy my experience. This weekend, however, the service was beyond terrible. While I realize that it was a Friday night and the restaurant was very busy, the wait staff was very inattentive. The hostess ended up bringing our drinks 15 minutes in, apologizing and telling us that our server would be with us shortly. The servers occasionally glanced at our table, but never made their way over. It took over 30 minutes for a waiter to stop by and take our order. The server came and asked: Are you guys still doing ok? and really it was downhill from there. Tables around us were attended to and the servers did not appear overly rushed, so I don't know why things took so long. Overall, a disappointing meal
- This was a real find. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2012This was a real find. We went for the trout which was delicious & deboned. Yeah, no bones. I had the lamb special & if I had been at home I would have licked that plate clean. Lovely spot sitting up looking out over the action on Kensington Road. Staff friendly. Did get really noise as it filled up. Glad we got there early & left early. But the food was great.Special Features:
- Great evening out for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2012Great evening out for a group of four. Special entrees were sold out by our reservation at 7:15 but all of us enjoyed our meals.Special Features:
- Tasty food, disappointing service.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/8/2012We chose Brasserie for our monthly girls dinner because we love the food and atmosphere. Unfortunately the service on this visit left little to be desired and definitely put a damper on the night. As we are all in the industry, we understand what it is like to be a new server, but there are certain elements of service that are expected in a nice restaurant such as Brasserie. The head Chef was great and made a point of coming over to chat with us which really improved the experience. I must say the food was amazing. Don't be fooled by "half price foie gras" on mondays. We were charged $10.00 in crustinis which were automatically served with the foie. So it's not in fact half price...
- I am returning customer andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/8/2012I am returning customer and will continue to come back to Brasserie for great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:
- It was my first time there,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/5/2012It was my first time there, but definitely won't be my last!Special Features:
- Brasserie @ TrikoBearPostsAndyLaDined on 10/4/2012Check out my review here (= http://trikobearposts.tumblr.com/post/40242471309/brasserie-kensingtonSpecial Features:
- The food is losing it's greatnessPhenVIPDined on 10/1/2012The food is losing it's greatness - come on chef bring it back to where it was.
- We had a great brunch at Brasserie,FoodieDined on 9/30/2012We had a great brunch at Brasserie, except that the food took a very long time to come to our table and the music was too loud for a Sunday brunch. Our guests found it very difficult to talk and hear one another. But the food was fantastic, as always.Special Features:
- Great food and service. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/29/2012Great food and service. My husband and I went with our four year old son and were treated with great service. Many nice restaurants don't welcome kids which is a shame. We felt very welcome and really enjoyed our evening.Special Features:
- Very disappointing visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2012Very disappointing visit to Brasserie. I had the foie gras poutine, which was amazing all the other times I've had it, but not that day. The fries were somewhat cold, hard and dry, not just on the outside, but inside too. And they were also really salty. The foie gras part was great, but the poutine lacked enough gravy, which would have been crucial, since the fries were so hard and dry.
- Not impressedEatingfoodDined on 9/24/2012I was not pleased to discover that their menu was different than what they posted on their website. First of all, prices are higher than what they advertise online; secondly, some dishes are different and others not offered at all. For example, they list a veal weisswurst on their website, and it's pork in the restaurant. I didn't see the papardelle on their menu in the restaurant at all, but it's listed online. I think a lot of people these days check menus online, so it's a disappointment when you get to the restaurant and they don't offer those dishes or the prices that you thought you'd be paying ($18) are actually higher ($22). I don't think the ambiance of this restaurant supports the higher prices on the menu.
- Didn't live up to what I'd heard.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012I'd heard great things about Brasserie, and thought it would be a relaxing little spot. We arrived on time and our table was ready for us, but I had to yell for the hostess to hear me. The music was so loud it was hard to converse. The escargot spring rolls were delicious! But the duck breast, steak and veggies sides were extremely salty. I can't say we would go back as it was a little pricey for the lack of finesse in the kitchen. Our waitress seemed to rush our experience and brought the bill before we were done. Maybe it was just a bad night.
- Great experience. Food wasFoodieDined on 9/22/2012Great experience. Food was excellent and the menu provided something for all price ranges. I highly recommend this restaurant and I will most definitely go back.Special Features:
- simple yet deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2012The food had very simple flavours yet tased fantastic. I personally could have used less salt on my pomme frites however I choose not to ask for a new order. The restaurant was very lively at 9:00pm and quieted down by 10:30pm. The service was superb and the location is great if you want more night life after dinner.Special Features:
- We had the opportunity toOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/15/2012We had the opportunity to visit Brasserie Kensignton for brunch and definitely glad we did. A fair amount of natural light flows into the room and adds to the welcoming feel of the restaurant. If possible, get seated at the front of the restaurant by the windows. The food was good. I ordered sliders that were ok... not memorable. However, the duck confit omelette was delicious. The service was lacking but the overall experience warrants another visit. Looking forward to trying more brunch items in the future.Special Features:
- It took well over 30 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2012It took well over 30 minutes for food to arrive. The restaurant was freezing cold. Took ages to get bill and settled.Special Features:
- the waitress was enthusiasticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2012the waitress was enthusiastic but her knowledge of food was a bit weak, when asked about the shrimp and pasta dish, it really was quite different and not what my friend was looking for, but it was too late then to change things as we all had our mealsSpecial Features:
- Awesome!Calgary22Dined on 9/7/2012Food and service both amazing, as always.... Brasserie has become our favourite place in Calgary for special occasion dinners, and any weekend brunch!Special Features:
- The food was good at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2012The food was good at this place but what made it distinct was the service. Our server was very friendly and professional - I find this a treat nowadays in this fast paced world we live in.Special Features:
- Yup, I like it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2012I love the feel of Brasserie. Great windows with the bustle of Kensington outside. Small but not scrunched -- I'm always concerned with food spots with 'French' anything that the tables will be 11 inches apart! Our server was attentive but not intrusive and the hanger steak was to die for. Cam (owner/exec chef) has another hit!Special Features:
- Second time we've been hereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/26/2012Second time we've been here for brunch, and it was again absolutely fantastic!Special Features:
- Great food, casual atmosphereEatingfoodDined on 8/23/2012This restaurant was a bit more informal than what I expected, but the food was delicious, and the portions were generous. The atmosphere is pretty casual, the interior is very straightforward, nothing special. The foie gras poutine was very good, except for the fact that the cheese curds were completely melted and were more like melted mozzarella on a pizza rather than the more solid pieces that you like to find in a poutine. That wouldn't stop me from getting it again if I went back. My only real complaints are that my friend was given an old outdated menu and we only realized this afterwards, and that our waiter (who was possibly also the owner) didn't seem to know much about the beers on his drink list.Special Features:
- Frites are just French Fries peopleMissGourmetDined on 8/15/2012The food was over priced. Although the duck breast was good, 29.00 for the duck breast with salad greens or alternatively French fries is ridiculous. Where were the chef inspired accompaniments? A whole lot of hype for a whole lot of nothing. The appetizers were good and if the entrees had measured up to those, then the price would be warranted.
- Enjoyed brunch at the BrasserieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/11/2012Enjoyed brunch at the Brasserie Kensington. Both me and my companion enjoyed our meals. The soup we started with tasted very fresh and you could tell it was not just poured out of a can. The club sandwich and veggie burger are highly recommended as are the smoked salmon and fried potatoes as side dishes. Great service - very prompt and good follow up times to make sure we were enjoying our meals. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Our server and soon to beOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2012Our server and soon to be chef at Muse was fantastic and a compliment to the outstanding quality of food! We ended up chatting with our neighbors about food, wine and travel out of the blue. A great evening overall.Special Features:
- My husband liked it, I didn't.yycfoodsterDined on 7/28/2012My husband liked it, I didn't. I found the food to be VERY rich, which can be fine, but it was just too much. We had the escargot spring rolls, and they had potential, but they needed more acid or crunch. The mussels were pretty tasty, but it was definitely not a cut above mussels I've had at Local 510 or Toque. Perhaps I had the expectation of a fine dining restaurant, or maybe we just ordered the wrong thing. For pub or "Brasserie" food, it was actually pretty good, but to reflect the quality one would expect for that price, I would say it's below average.
- Went for my boyfriends birthday,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012Went for my boyfriends birthday, amazing steak and fries! Has a wide variety of options and were very good with my onion allergie. Would highly recommend.Special Features: