Brasserie Jo - Boston
120 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie Jo - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasseriejo.com/
- Phone: 6174253240x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Sunday: 10am - 1am, Monday - Wednesday: 8:00am - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 8:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Calias
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Salon Privé, the private dining room in Brasserie JO, is an elegant choice for your next social gathering or business dinner. Appointed in the same rich cherry wood and marble as the main dining room, the walls are decorated with vintage French posters, giving it an unusually exuberant air without the stuffiness of an ordinary banquet space.
A word from Brasserie Jo - Boston
Internationally renowned chef Jean Joho presents Brasserie Jo, Boston's only authentic French Brasserie. Joho's extensive menu features simply prepared light offerings, entrees and desserts that incorporate Alsace and other regional French influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Jo - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (29)notable wine list (29)great for brunch (27)great for lunch (26)romantic (24)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (13)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (9)great for outdoor dining (7)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Food was great- reservation on time- nice round table and service terrific.
- Superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/16/2014Food was great. Service was great. Matt, our server was fantastic! Could not have enjoyed it more.Special Features:
- Consistent and comfortable.notgr8Dined on 9/14/2014Consistently good - variety, food, service. Great for pre-theater dining. Early in the evening noise level is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris on HuntingtonPeterDined on 9/13/2014Brasserie Jo is great place to revive memories of your trip to Paris or to be substitute if you have never been. The menu offers many classic dishes found in French Bistros including the classic steak frites (it takes an expert to deliver a steak that thin medium rare) coq au vin, duck a L'orange and crepe suzette. The food is prepared beautifully. The wait staff is efficient, pleasant and very knowledgeable about the menu. They also come with a delightful French accent. The wine list offers a good selection of mostly French wines with a short list of "foreign wines" - i.e. American offered on the specials menu. All meals come a perfect baguette(a must for a good French Bistro) & a dish of raw carrot sticks with tasty dijon dressing.Special Features:
- ExcellentGeorgeVIPDined on 9/12/2014The food at Brasserie Jo has always been excellent when we visit. Valet parking at the restaurant, separate from the hotel, is available. the service was good, the dishes were well prepared, and the vegetable sides were especially well prepared and were of ample portions. The meal always comes with a crusty loaf of bread which is fresh and excellent. The atmosphere was energetic and pleasant on this visit. Many people come to the restaurant for a pre-theater meal. The last two times my wife and I were here we came solely for the food.
- Almost like ParisElllenandJohnDined on 9/12/2014Decor & waitstaff felt like a Paris bistro. Our shared app (charcuterie), salads and main dishes (Cod with mussels & chorizo, and duck a l'orange) were very good. Baguette and butter were also good - with a fun presenation of the demi-baguette in a paper bread bag. Dessert portions were too large. Service was attentive without being intrusive. We look forward to returning for future pre-theatre meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014We visit this restaurant often for preshow and pre-concert meals. Service is always excellent and the food is well prepared. Specials can be very interesting and delicious. At this most recent visit, had the lamb chops special.Special Features:
- fourleafDined on 9/11/2014Good food - handy bay bay location - service was fineSpecial Features:
- Still good food but a bit offKimbaVIPDined on 9/10/2014We hadn't been for awhile but have always enjoyed this place for its food and service as well as proximity to the Huntington. On this visit the service was a bit off. For example, me and my DC ordered drinks and it took awhile so the server comes back with one drink and informs my DC they didn't have his bourbon cocktail. Why wait? Instead my DC ordered a glass of wine. Also although delicious as I like spice many people who like less spicy food my want to avoid the tuna tartare.Special Features:
- On its way downhill/already thereEmptynesterVIPDined on 9/8/2014We've dined frequently at Brasserie Jo and always enjoyed our meal. In past visits the bread has always been fabulous. On our most recent visit the bread was stale. We requested a second loaf and it was still horrible. The entrees were mediocre at best. The chairs are the most uncomfortable I've ever sat in (too low, very hard, strange seat contour) and several diners requested replacement chairs. The manager refused to accept my online voucher from Restaurants.com and to say he was hostile is to put it mildly. This is such a disappointment since we really enjoyed going there but will never go again.
- Great dining experienceiluvf00dDined on 8/30/2014I went with my boyfriend here for a congratulations dinner, and it was great. The food was incredible and the ambiance was nice. I recommend this restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great Service great foodPeter2663883VIPDined on 8/28/2014Our waiter Rich was fantastic. He made dinner memorable. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Insdoc76Dined on 8/27/2014I went to Brasserie Jo's for the recent Dining Out Boston program for the $20 per person lunch. The atmosphere was nice and the wine list was extensive. It is located next to the lobby of the Colonade Hotel. The appetizer and dessert were very good. The main course (we ordered the skate/fish) was only fair. Even with the promotional lunch, the total bill was around $80.Special Features:
- Dine Out Menu UnimpressiveCherokeeLolaDined on 8/26/2014The options for the Dine Out menu were very limited. We had the bouillabaise and were not happy that we had to crack our own lobster tails! They didn't even give us bibs! It was a messy affair.
- Very disappointingFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014I was looking forward to this restaurant based on the reviews. I was in Boston for two nights so wanted to make sure I was getting the best of the best. Having been to Mistral on a previous trip it was my first choice but it was booked solid so Brasserie Jo looked like a good second. I ordered the pork belly which had a nice flavor but oddly tough. For my main course I chose Duck L'Orange, a favorite of mine. The leg was over salted, and extremely dry. The breast was more moist but had a watery flavor. I have to say the best part of the meal was the chocolate mousse. It was top notch, almost as good as my mom's. My suggestion is go elsewhere for dinner but drop in for dessert.
- LovelythisismynicknameVIPDined on 8/22/2014The lunch combos were delicious (the sausage and white bean soup, I'll come back for), service was great and the location and feel are nice for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Solid LunchMegKVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had the Croque Madame. Solid meal. Wasn't empty, but wasn't busy and had a nice ambiance. Would come for lunch again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm, mmmWavetheoceanDined on 8/19/2014The meal was delicious start to finish, the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still the best mussels everYummyEats23Dined on 8/7/2014Brought my family as a treat to Brasserie Jo's while on short vacation to Boston. Mussels were smaller than last visit two months ago but the sauce and the fresh baguette for dipping were once again phenomenal. Hubby had the Coq au vin and my son had the scallops--all dishes surpassed our greatest expectations. Foie gras is a must have for appetizer, as well as the crepes (if you have room!). Will be back next time we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable dinnerSusanNHDined on 8/6/2014Brasserie Jo's is one of our all time favorite places anyway however this visit was all that more memorable as I was there for a dinner "with" a colleague dear to me that had been taken by cancer earlier this year. Although it was unknown to the staff - somehow everything was simply perfect which shows its the way they are regardless. Food and service wonderful. Love the modern yet classic feel you get the minute you walk in which follows you through until you walk out the door with a smile of satisfactory enjoyment of your time at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always love this place.MasbostonDined on 8/2/2014Great options for breakfast or brunch, with a distinctly French flavor. On this visit I had an omelette and croissant, and my friend had eggs benedict. Everything was delicious and the service was perfect -- attentive but not rushed.Special Features:
- Girls night outRikkilynn1Dined on 7/31/2014Took my teenage nieces out for their 1st French meal... I was a hit! Food was excellent, service was spot on. Scallop plate divine, short rib bourginone was to die for!!!! And the desserts...we died after and went straight to heaven! We were so full we waddled our way out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor menu descriptionTastepoliceDined on 7/17/2014I had the Salade Nicoise. The worst I ever had--the lettuce was all frisee (which is too bitter to stand alone). The beans and fish were good. The tomato was too small (or too few) and the potatoes likewise. The remainder of the ingrediates were so shredded they fell through the frisee and could not be picked out or tasted against the strong frisee taste. This is another example of "innovation" ruining a good dish. If there are so many changes, they aught to be in the description on the menu. Surprises are not welcome.
- Always good...LuckyPDined on 7/12/2014The dining area was quite slow it seems everyone has fled town. Always get a very good meal here, and the service tonight was exceptional. This is my most favorite breakfast in Boston.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014Management took note of our special occasion and handled our allergy concern perfectly. The food was absolutely incredible and the value for the cost is great. Loved it!!
- First RateBrooklineMikeDined on 7/5/2014We loved everything. White bean soup, seared scallops, duck a l'orange, all masterful. Excellent service. Great bartender who made a perfect old fashioned.Special Features:
- steve830Dined on 6/29/2014This was our 2nd visit for breakfast. Our first visit was excellent all around. It was so good my wife insisted on going back for breakfast again. As with our initial visit, we were in Boston for the weekend and had breakfast on sunday morning prior to the start of their brunch service. My breakfast was once again excellent- had the omelet and it was fluffy and packed with fresh veggies, ham and swiss cheese. My wife ordered poached eggs with salmon. It is the salmon which knocked my rating for the food down to "good". Her eggs were served benedict style and were delicious. However, she expected smoked salmon and it was actually cooked salmon and very salty. Overall, the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Alsatian Food Boston!Bartholdi350Dined on 6/28/2014Superb French/Alsatian cuisine. Attentive service. Great location in the Colonnade Hotel Back Bay.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceTouristVIPDined on 6/23/2014The service was poor. Long wait time for order to be taken, to receive food and drinks, to receive checks, the waiter never made eye contact with his customers. All of the patrons were upset. It was a very disappointing dining experience. Never again!
- Little French gemOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Great place to people watch right across from the Prudential Center. Reasonable wine list. Shared the fried cauliflower with mint yogurt sauce (not breaded and not heavy!). Husband had swordfish (and finished all of it!) I had the soft-shelled crab with was perfect! Dessert was Chocolate mousse (served from a terrine at the table) and floating islands. Espresso after dessert, not with (the french way). Lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/15/2014Went back to the hotel where we had our wedding reception 40 years earlier. Food was very good, service outstanding. We even received a complimentary glass of champagne.Special Features:
- Excellent BrunchCarolitaDined on 6/15/2014My family took my father here for Father's Day Brunch. We had a n excellent dining experience. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable! I will be back, and I'll definitely recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- going downhill?HouryDined on 6/13/2014service and food is going downhill and table for two is tooo close to other tables, not once did waiter come to check if everything is okSpecial Features:
- A pleasant and satisfying placepierzyna01Dined on 6/11/2014This is the second year in a row that we spent our weddiing anniversary at Brasserie Jo before attending Film Night at the Boston Pops. The food and service was great, desert was free courtesy of the Boston Pops tickets. All in all, a very pleasant way to spend a romantic evening -- at less expense than some neighboring restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placebruhamaDined on 6/11/2014I like to go here from time to time when I don't want a lot of ambient noise or hustle bustle. Lunch was good, service a little too good (interrupting important conversation), but locating us at a table where we could only face a partial wall when there were quite a few other open tables felt odd. I'll still return, though.Special Features:
- Server helped us get to BSO on timediner21VIPDined on 6/10/2014A recent dinner was potentially stressful as, due to traffic, we were 30 min. late and had a performance at Symphony Hall to get to by 8 pm. Once our server heard this, he stepped up the pace of beverage delivery and taking our food order. The choices appeared in time for us to both enjoy our meal and get out the door when we needed to. Good job.I would recommend this to a friend.
- like it for French bistro foodAlisonDined on 6/9/2014Love the food and atmosphere. The salad Nicoise is excellent and the pomme frite are the best in Boston.Special Features:
- yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014Thank you for a wonderful lunch! Have heard of Brasserie Jo through family and made it a priority to visit during our trip to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableNoneVIPDined on 6/7/2014Selected this restaurant based on OpenTable membership and reviews. It was an excellent dining experience. Highly recommended!I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeMikeVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great. Thank you. You made our Boston visit that much more!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.