Brasserie Jo - Boston
120 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie Jo - Boston
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasseriejo.com/
- Phone: (617) 425-3240
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am - 12:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Sunday: 10am - 1am, Monday - Wednesday: 8:00am - 1:00am, Thursday - Saturday: 8:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Calias
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Salon Privé, the private dining room in Brasserie JO, is an elegant choice for your next social gathering or business dinner. Appointed in the same rich cherry wood and marble as the main dining room, the walls are decorated with vintage French posters, giving it an unusually exuberant air without the stuffiness of an ordinary banquet space.
A word from Brasserie Jo - Boston
Internationally renowned chef Jean Joho presents Brasserie Jo, Boston's only authentic French Brasserie. Joho's extensive menu features simply prepared light offerings, entrees and desserts that incorporate Alsace and other regional French influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Jo - Boston reviews from OpenTable diners
154 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)good for groups (54)fit for foodies (53)special occasion (49)notable wine list (33)great for lunch (31)great for brunch (29)romantic (24)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Try the French dishesBrooklinerVIPDined on 11/19/2014Coq au Vin and spaetzle-like side dish were utterly delicious -- large portions, but I could not leave any on the plate. The crisp french bread and dilled carrots are a wonderful way to start the meal, and the wine list has a great variety and complements the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Very helpful team who accomodated our tight schedule and made us feel welcome. They treated us as though we were important to them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/13/2014perfect for before symphony or Jordan Hall concert, or the Huntington. Good and dependable food and service -- all the waiters are knowledgable and friendly, in a good way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tutti28Dined on 11/13/2014Had appetizers and desserts, everything was delicious, but the ambiance was only so so.Special Features:
- BJOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/11/2014We needed to be out in time for the BSO concert and made it exactly right
- Pleasantly reliableMainStDined on 11/9/2014I have been coming to Brasserie Jo for over ten years and am rarely disappointed. Brunch on Sunday was very pleasant. The food was good and nicely presented, and the service was excellent. The house mimosa is delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Very classic French bistro style. Went during a meeting and had easy access for reservation. Had coq au vin and was very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/6/2014Great spot for pre-symphony or pre Huntington Theater dinners. Food is consistent and daily specials are delicious. Service is very good and excellent in meeting time schedules for departure to events without being overly pushy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- love love B-JoannabeleeVIPDined on 11/2/2014We have been coming to Brasserie Jo for years, for the food, the wine, and the service. It's the little things that really set them apart--fresh hot bread, hot mustard, carrots gratis upon sitting down. Very continental feel due to all the foreign tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Food was great. Our quiche was luke-warm but excellent. The other meals ordered were very good. Fashion show was surprise and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/30/2014It is the perfect dinner before going to Symphony hall or Jordan Hall. An easy walk down Huntington. The menu and wine list have a fine range and the servers are all fantastic. It is totally dependable and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we'd hopedChuckDined on 10/26/2014Went expecting a romantic bistro, but it turned out to be a relatively ordinary hotel restaurant. Several families with young children seated around us. Adequate menu and service. Parking $20 in the hotel but they don't validate.Special Features:
- Great meal after a concertCheersDined on 10/25/2014Each of us enjoyed a fine meal after symphony on Saturday. Great service and the noise level was lively but conversation was easy. Menu included quail which my husband thoroughly enjoyed. House wines were fine too making the final bill very reasonable for such a good meal and great experience.Special Features:
- I wouldnt recommendlsanlucasDined on 10/24/2014We waited 30 miuntes after sitting down for waiter to see if we wanted to start with a drink and we asked for a Menu of the "Specials" since we saw people next to us who had that specific menu and he was shocked we didnt receive one. The food was different , not extraordinary.
- Fantastic lunch specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/23/2014Especially love the French onion soup and the fact that they let you mix and match from the express lunch menu (something our server told us, wasn't listed anywhere). Fast, tasty, good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French food in bostonJSNJVIPDined on 10/22/2014Good french food but the waiter is inexperienced and does not know how to properly explain the dish. He really tried but had no knowledge about the dish or the ingredients.Special Features:
- Nice pre-symphony dinner!westenderVIPDined on 10/21/2014This restaurant is always dependable. It is a lovely space with a nice bar and several different seating areas so you do not feel crowded. The service is prompt and knowledgeable, and the kitchen is amazingly fast at creating very tasty dishes! We love the crusty French baguette, served in a paper bag and one of us loves the wasabi-marinated carrot strips. We had time before the concert so splurged on the chocolate mousse. One order is easily enough to share. SO GOOD!Special Features:
- Fantastic!MarilynDined on 10/20/2014Brasserie Jo's food is outstanding. Everyone in my party of 8 thoroughly enjoyed their meal. I had the onion soup, coq au vin, and profiteroles, washed down with 2 different French wines. The portions are generous! Their is no better wait staff in Boston. They are extremely courteous and attentive. I complain when things aren't satisfactory; however, Brasserie Jo left me nothing to complain about. I hope to return soon.Special Features:
- Very French BistroPariseurVIPDined on 10/19/2014Bright and shiny decor, wonderful snails and the best steak tartare this side of 21. Knowledgeable service including bartenders and wait staff. ll in all a very good place to take a foodie friend or just a friend.Special Features:
- Excellent!!loveditDined on 10/17/2014Couldn't be any better. The food was fantastic, as was service and menu. I would return in a heartbeat and can't recommend it any more highly. Directly across from Prudential's parking garage and mall. Easy to park and walk across street. It's nothing fancy to look at from outside, in fact, I was a bit dismayed. Once inside and eating, you will not be disappointed. My only (barely) negative would be that the menu doesn't really match the tables and chairs which are very casual, almost garden-style. Our chairs were plastic wicker which is incongruous to the elegance of the menu and wine offerings. The rest of the decor is more upscale. My advice to them would be ditch the chairs and purchase something far more elegant!Special Features:
- ShelTVIPDined on 10/16/2014A go-to place for out of town guests. Always dependable. Food is good, service is professional. Prices are high, but not exorbitant, like many Boston eateries that aren't as good. Convenient location. Excellent Alsatian flatbread & seafood was properly prepared.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/15/2014Great food and great service. Our server Matt was incredible! So helpful in choosing entrees and wine. Thanks.Special Features:
- BostonGirlBostonGirlDined on 10/12/2014Excellent and elegant 18th birthday celebration! A very special night for our birthday girl.Special Features:
- Weird feelingStuka123VIPDined on 10/9/2014We always go to Brasserie Jo when visiting Boston. We have some great experiences and other so so experience. That is the reason for 3 stars only. I talk about food and service.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014It is a great place to have dinner when going to either Jordan hall or the Boston Symphony concerts, an easy walk, valet parking, varied menu, good food and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodMattersVIPDined on 10/4/2014All was good but not great - this works well all the same for pre-theater and so we're likely to return.Special Features:
- DonnaVIPDined on 10/4/2014We went before the theatre. The food and service was excellent.
- Always a treatGmanVIPDined on 10/4/2014Lovely atmosphere- great for before or after the theater. Low key, excellent service. A little piece of Paris in Boston.Special Features:
- Fashion show a bonusdiner21VIPDined on 10/3/2014Server was very responsive to time constraints. Quiche of the day was on the dry side, not usual. Clothing was beautiful on the models.
- Love this place!AnneDined on 10/2/2014Have been here several times a year for years... it is still great! Food, atmosphere, and the waiter I have gotten last few times is so good!Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 10/1/2014Brasserie Jo is a great pre- theatre restaurant. The service is always very professional. It is possible to order 2 courses and still be in and out in an hour! My husband and I both got the Boston Bibb salad for an appetizer. The lettuce was fresh and delicious. I used to order lamb chops, but they no longer have them on the menu! We both ordered duck a l'Orange for our entree. The preparation was delicious, but the duck was a little tough and therefore hard to chew. The crunchy French bread in a bag and the carrots offered at the beginning of the meal are wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Brasserie fareCathyVIPDined on 9/30/2014The menu doesn't change but the dishes are generally well prepared and the portions generous though not ridiculously so. Service is attentive and one can actually carry on a conversation here. The Moules/Frites is my go to dish here - mussels were delicious and perfectly cooked. Regrettably the fries were cold and dried out. My companion's roasted salmon was attractively presented over various vegetables and cooked to flaky perfection.Special Features:
- First timeDineAndWhineDined on 9/28/2014Pleasant, comfortable ambience and prompt, friendly and attentive service, but the meal was not up to expectations (set rather high based on other reviews and word of mouth on good French cuisine). Four of the seven entrees were good to excellent, but three were overcooked -- two being the signature steak frites and one salmon. We had the feeling that perhaps "world-renowned" Chef Jean Joho was back in Vegas that day (Sunday). The location is convenient to theatre goers on Huntington but I would try again before recommending to others.
- On the SkidsCurtVIPDined on 9/27/2014We ordered two wines which they did not have, and one appetizer, also on the menu, which they did not have. The restaurant was nearly emtpty on a night when neighboring places were filled. The food was mediocre and it had been quite good in the past. One diner s6ggested that they are not paying their vendors.
- This is spectacularIluv60Dined on 9/26/2014What a pleasant surprise. Our first time here even though we are in the area frequently.Everything from service to the food was wonderful. Lovely lemontini. Will definitely eat here again and highly recommend this eatery!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always dependablejr2204VIPDined on 9/23/2014Brasserie Jo continues to do what it does, and do it very well. The general level is high, and the duck confit is a standout. If you like bistro cooking (and who doesn't?), this is definitely a place to go.Special Features:
- Reviews suggested bettercalypsoVIPDined on 9/21/2014I selected the restaurant based on the great reviews for both food and service and its proximity to where we were staying. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday night, but on both the food and service I was very disappointed. Everything was OK, but not up to the ratings. We were greeted by a hostess with a scowl on her face...not friendly at all. Felt like we were bothering her - certainly not what I would want greeting my customers. The restaurant was FREEZING and our waiter said there wasn't really anything they could do about it. We moved outside which was better. He wasn't very friendly at the start either - by the end he did warm up a bit. Food was average, but for the price...not worth it at all. I did enjoy the pate
- horrible serviceAJudithVIPDined on 9/21/2014Came here with a party of 7 for Sunday brunch to celebrate my brother's birthday. I had been wanting to try Brasserie Jo's for a while but now that I have I will not be returning. The service was painfully slow and very disappointing. It took 15min to get a glass of water after sitting down and over 30 to get a bar drink. Our waiter did not appear busy when we came in and then proceeded to paid all his attention to another large party after that. Food was decent but would never return to this restaurant because of the service. I am a waitress and very understanding if servers are busy or overwhelmed but this did not appear to be the case.
- Before Boston Symphony OrchestrawildarmDined on 9/20/2014Great place for dinner if you are watching Boston Symphony Orchestra - it's 2 blocks from Symphony Hall and also provides valet parking (and parking garage is also right next to it). Business casual.Special Features:
- ALways reliableJohnVIPDined on 9/20/2014You can always be assured of top quality food here. Been coming to this restaurant for years and the fine food has never faltered.Special Features: