102 N. Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasseriegigi.com/
- Phone: (843) 722-6393
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday from 11:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Dinner: 5 - 10:30 p.m.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Frank McMahon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: We are delighted to welcome private dining to our lovely, light-filled second floor dining room. This is a favorite venue for bridal luncheons.
- Cross Street: The Charleston City Market
- Public Transit: Charleston's free DASH hop-on/hop-off trolly stops in front of Brasserie Gigi.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking is available 1/2 a block away at the corner of Church and North Meeting Street as well as three parking garages within two blocks of the restaurant.
A word from Brasserie Gigi
Located across the street from the Charleston City Market in the very heart of the Historic District, Brasserie Gigi serves lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch in a lively, casual French atmosphere. Brasserie Gigi is situated adjacent to the acclaimed Planters Inn on North Market Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Gigi reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (144)special occasion (88)neighborhood gem (87)romantic (81)notable wine list (57)good for groups (47)vibrant bar scene (43)great for lunch (38)great for brunch (35)hot spot (33)scenic view (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent food and service!EllenSDined on 11/22/2014I have dined here several times and it has always been a great experience. Excellent food and service. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rjmcmillDined on 11/18/2014Took clients to dinner here and they had a great time and everyone enjoyed their entrees. Appetizers and desserts were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were both superb.AlyssaDined on 11/16/2014We ate half the menu, everything was perfection. They were extremely accommodating with my mom's allergies and they had no problem replacing the dessert I actually ordered with the one I wanted even though it was completely my mistake in ordering. Our server was perfectly available and never overbearing- she understood implicitly that we were celebrating and wanted to leisurely enjoy the meal. I cannot recommend enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlestonEDinerCharlestonEDinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014Brasserie Gigi at 102 N. Market St., purveyor of French cuisine extraordinaire, exceeded all of our expectations. From the Escargot, prepared in a delicious broth of garlic, parsley, butter, chives, shallot and anise, served in the shell, to the chocolate pot de creme, all was perfection. Read the full review at www.ladylovetoread.blogspot.comSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great basic French Bistro food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014If you are looking for basic french food and a varied menu, this is the place. The Friday nite special of beouf bourgeon was outstanding. The portion size was more than adequate . My wife and I enjoyed the doggie bag almost as much as the first serving. Nice moderately priced Pinot Noir to accompany. The evening couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014This place had great food. Everything on the menu looked delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereCharlestonlocalDined on 11/11/2014We enjoyed going to this restaurant on a Tuesday night because it was not very crowded. Atmosphere was beautiful. The service was great as well. Smaller portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Couples Sunday NightKEMADined on 11/9/2014Had dinner on a bit of a slow fall Sunday night. Three had escargot appetizers. Two loved them. Could have done without the hassle of the shells. Another had oyster salad. Excellent. Entrees included scallops, swordfish, and flounder. Three scallops floating around mashed potatoes in their gravy just didn't seem fitting. But they were well cooked and good enough. Probably would not order again. Swordfish very good. Flounder over spinach quite good. Proportions small overall on entrees. Price somewhat high. Service excellent. Would give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French food and fresh seafoodlynnMVIPDined on 11/9/2014The seafood tower and other entrees were very good. The drinks were made to perfection. We were allowed to try wine before ordering. The server could have been more helpful with portion sizes. Nice quiet booth and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still could be better, second visitJoeBigAppleDined on 11/8/20141.We couldn't be seated at first, b/c we were told there were no menus. 2.Our server was way too quick and impatient. 3.When it came time to tell us the specials, he said that he didn't have any. 3.One dish (monkfish) was too rubbery to stick a fork in. 4.One of the desserts was a fruit tort; we were told the only fruit they had was apple; the problem was we couldn't find any apple in the tort, either. The matre d' did comp the dessert. 5.Finally, the bill came, which we asked to be split with the other couple we were with. Rather than provide 2 separate bills, the server hand-wrote the division on the tab. All in all, the restaurant has lots more work to do to bring it up to the standards it deserves.
- Locals disappointed..chslocalVIPDined on 11/8/2014We are locals. This Market area location makes parking difficult--and I really do not think they "need to be here." I LOVED the decor and ambiance. My monk fish was not well cooked--it was tough. Mussels that my sister ordered were good. Creme Brulee was good but "average." Charleston is has so many good restaurants--I hate to be so picky. My Mom lived in downtown Charleston and was "Gigi" to her grandchildren--we WANTED to love this place... Each of us had a glass of wine, entrees and shared dessert--with a tip, our bill was $100. I was disappointed overall.
- very enjoyablePetalVIPDined on 11/8/2014comfortable seating, knowledgeable staff and tasty foodSpecial Features:
- Killer bar & Great foodKiawahTomDined on 11/7/2014My wife had told me that Gigi's had a really impressive bar, but it exceeded my expectations. It's gorgeous and it seems to be half a block long. It alone makes a visit to Brasserie Gigi worthwhile. We were 5 people and we ordered 4 different entrees. Everyone raved about the food.Special Features:
- A pleasant surprisediningmomDined on 11/6/2014Service was attentive, although our waiter was taking care of a table of 10 also. Food was delicious! My husband thought the scallops were the best he ever had. Te seafood cassoulet- special for the night- was perfect! Very light and flavorful. We will return when in Charleston again.Special Features:
- Great new addition to CharlestontravelingduoDined on 11/6/2014Hank Holliday and his group have added a great new French restaurant to the Charleston scene. My wife and I enjoyed Gigi for lunch downstairs in the more active, bistro setting, and then returned for dinner upstairs in a more quiet and refined atmosphere. Excellent food and service. The scallops were excellent and my wife and our guest enjoyed the seafood cassoulet special.Special Features:
- bistro food made easyyumyumDined on 11/4/2014The room captures the feel of a Paris restaurant without the dramatics. Teri had the monkfish which was very meaty and well prepared. I had the schnitzel and it was a trifle dry but crisp and thin as it should be. With my lighter appetite I only ate one of the pork pieces and brought the other home for next night's dinner. Espresso and a cookie ended the night. My only complaint is that as in many restaurants, the vintage on the list did not conform to the bottle we were served. If you cannot serve the year listed you should make sure that you alert the customer. This is a pet peeve of mine. Bill came to exactly $100 plus tax. First time we hit what has become our magic number right on the head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice bistroLoveDiningOutDined on 11/2/2014Nice atmosphere, nice menu, good simple bistro food at reasonable pricesI would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Space & Delicious FoodIoP4meDined on 11/1/2014We sat a a nice table near the windows, facing the big, artfully designed chalkboard listing the menu. Our server, Paul, was very attentive and helpful with menu recommendations at our request. We ordered trout and flounder and loved both of our meals. The portions were very large and the accompanying vegetables were interesting and plentiful. The interior of the restaurant is very evocative of France and is lovely in every detail-- the zinc topped bar with the half round banquettes were terrific. All around divine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food/ServiceFoodie1989Dined on 11/1/2014We chose Brasserie Gigi for dinner when we went to Charleston for a night. We are so happy we did! The food was delicious and prepared perfectly (my boyfriend says it was the best steak he had ever had at a restaurant). One of the best parts of the experience was our waiter. From beginning until end, he was so friendly and efficient; we did not have to ask for a thing. We're foodies always looking for great restaurants, and we found one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Mercado to Brasserie GigieosccVIPDined on 10/31/2014The last time my wife and I dined at this location, it was an Italian restaurant called Mercado. We had a very good experience that night. Mercado was replaced by Brasserie Gigisince our last visit. We decided to try it on Halloween. It was a fun evening.....our meals were very good and most of the servers wore Halloween costumes.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2014Food was excellent, service prompt and pleasant. Definitely a winner!Special Features:
- Spur of the Moment ChoiceDinerDanDined on 10/30/2014I had planned to take a friend to dinner in return for a special favor. Peninsula Grill was my first choice, but it was booked for the time we needed. Open Table gave me the Brasserie Gigi alternative, and I decided to give it a try. (We wanted to keep it in the Market St. neighborhood as we were coming from a cocktail gathering held nearby.) In a word, it was delightful. Great food (I had the steak, and my friend ordered Shrimp Provençale), attentive service, and the lovely atmosphere all combined to make it a memorable experience. As a bonus, the price for the meal was considerably less that I would've paid at Peninsula Grill. Very highly recommended.Special Features:
- French wine findwestbraeVIPDined on 10/26/2014We had a wonderful Sunday evening dinner for six with an awesome Chablis, shrimp provencal and flounder after a trio of musclesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- danm in charlestondanmVIPDined on 10/26/2014excelent food. We are locals to Charleston and thrilled that this new French restaurant is open and doing well.Special Features:
- DelightfullichtblausVIPDined on 10/26/2014Gave this only 4 stars because we did not challenge the kitchen but our salmon 3 ways was delicious. And it was 11 AM so no wine was involved. But I would definitely go back to this charming restaurant next time in Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally!RegularcustomerVIPDined on 10/25/2014At last! A good French restaurant in Charleston! A friend and I had early dinner on Friday night. I have eaten here several times and this visit met expectations. I had the lamb shank which was perfectly cooked and full of flavor. My friend ordered the flounder meuniere and couldn't have been happier. The wait staff is engaging, knowledgeable, and helpful. Brasserie Gigi is my new favorite spot in Charleston!Special Features:
- Fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Upstairs dining was superb. Carl was wonderful waiter, the Vesper cocktails were a happy surprise, raw oysters, fish chowder, scallops, lamb shank were all exceptional and their chicken was truly outstanding. Even the mashed potatoes brought raves at our table. Our 90+ mother wants to go back and try everything on the menu. Total A+!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Charleston's take on a French bistro. Both of our dishes (fish and chicken) were cooked perfectly. Chicken was moist with a crisp outer skin and fish was flakey and moist.. Tables for two can be somewhat close together and therefore conversation can be difficult at times. Only draw back was that waiter failed to inform us of all the specials. My wife would have liked to have tried the Beef Bourguignon .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Cocktails at the beautiful bar, excellent bartender (chad). Excellent dinner in the very comfortable booth. Our server, Paul, did a fabulous job - he gave excellent recommendations for both wine and food - very professional. Moules frites and duck confit were wonderful appetizers followed by flounder meunière with GiGi potatoes. We would like to be regulars at GiGi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service but delicious foodAviddinerVIPDined on 10/22/2014Numerous complaints about the poor service. Seems the college boy server isn't cut out for his job. The escargot was best I ever had. The duck confit app was great. Scallops entree had wonderful flavor and they were cooked perfect. My friend enjoyed his salmon entree n it looked pretty too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatfoodDined on 10/21/2014This:-)was our first viisit and we will return...service:-)was:-)very:-)attentive and the menu excellent. The salmon we had melted in our mouths! ABSOLUTELY loved thisnew restaurant in Charleston. The Grants, Atlanta,Ga.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Went here for a light birthday dinner. Had several appetizers.. The mussels, escargot, and oysters were all outstanding. The wine and beer paired well with our meal. The crème brulee was the perfect dessert. The noise was only moderate considering it was a Saturday night. The waitstaff was friendly and not pushy with any recommendations. This restaurant is a welcome addition to Market Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Our server was way too loud and was not polished. Wine was served in wrong glass. I was still eating my app when my dinner arrived, no timing with the kitchen. Food was great, a little over priced in my opinion, wine list not accurate, they were out of wines that were listed. Gentleman who greeted guests at the door was way underdressed. Way too casual for my liking.Special Features:
- LuluDined on 10/17/2014Loved the restaurant..we had great food,service and fun. Happy to have found you..would recommend and would return!Special Features:
- Classic French CuisinefoodfanVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything was delicious...from the duck confit salad, to the seared sea scallops, to the elegant creme brulee'. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- French fareMonroe43Dined on 10/17/2014The menu covered a lot of 'French' bases. We came upon the recommendation of friends and were not disappointed. The escargot, salads were lightly dressed; the pork schnitzel was lightly breaded and fried and was delicious. The cocktail that was recommended hit the spot. All in all, we enjoyed Brasserie Gigi and will dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food, excellent bar.MPPerkinsDined on 10/15/2014The bar is beautiful, the bartenders are friendly and attentive, and best of all there are no TVs. Ambiance is lovely and food is delicious. Service in the dining room was just ok but I got the sense our server was new. I do love this restaurant. Get the schnitzel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Lunch!angelalmDined on 10/15/2014Our food was cooked perfectly! We will definitely be back!!!!Special Features:
- ..MonkeynavigatedDined on 10/14/2014The food was delicious, but the service was some of the worst I've had in a fine dining restarant.Special Features:
- great food and attention to detailsGigi22Dined on 10/13/2014this has become a favorite spot for us , the food is great, menu is interesting and the atmosphere is sophisticated. We had last minute guests and chose Gigis first from so many fine restraints in CharlestonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.