102 N. Market Street
Charleston, SC 29401Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasseriegigi.com/
- Phone: (843) 722-6393x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday from 11:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Dinner: 5 - 10:30 p.m.
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Chef Frank McMahon
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: We are delighted to welcome private dining to our lovely, light-filled second floor dining room. This is a favorite venue for bridal luncheons.
- Cross Street: The Charleston City Market
- Public Transit: Charleston's free DASH hop-on/hop-off trolly stops in front of Brasserie Gigi.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking is available 1/2 a block away at the corner of Church and North Meeting Street as well as three parking garages within two blocks of the restaurant.
A word from Brasserie Gigi
Located across the street from the Charleston City Market in the very heart of the Historic District, Brasserie Gigi serves lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch in a lively, casual French atmosphere. Brasserie Gigi is situated adjacent to the acclaimed Planters Inn on North Market Street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Gigi reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (120)special occasion (81)romantic (72)neighborhood gem (69)great for lunch (58)notable wine list (44)great for brunch (43)good for groups (31)vibrant bar scene (28)hot spot (23)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Another great downtown restaurantcitygirlDined on 8/25/2014Our server was very attentive, everything we ordered was excellent with the exception of the escargot. it was average. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/24/2014My husband and I went to Gigi's for our weekly date night. I wanted to go because it reminded me of a restaurant I loved back home. I went open minded, because I usually steer clear of any restaurants in the "market" area, but I was pleasantly surprised! It was a perfect evening from start to finish. You can go either dressy or slightly more on the casual side. The food and cocktails were fantastic, service was perfect, and the atmosphere was on point for a quiet little date night dinner. The decor was really true to a French brasserie, which I really loved. I really felt like I was not in Charleston! I will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C'est bon !Murray32Dined on 8/22/2014Great mussels and frites. Had a delicious French 75 !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoboVIPDined on 8/21/2014Second time there...table for four overlooking N. Market. Had the fish special (John Dory), just outstanding and very fairly priced. Service continues to be the weak point. Two requests before we got a second bottle of wine; forks and crackers for oysters came almost ten minutes after served on the half shell (we'd already finished). Wine selection, a Sancerre, was very good and reasonable.Special Features:
- A memorable dining experience!aobrien127Dined on 8/20/2014Our meal here was fantastic! The mussels were the best that I've had in a long time and the creme brulee for dessert was one of the best ever. In between the appetizer and dessert, we had the Shrimp with pasta and Scallops. Both were excellent. We can't wait for our next trip to Charleston so we can return to this outstanding restaurant!Special Features:
- First Time at GigiFuninNOLADined on 8/19/2014We had a nice time at Brasserie Gigi and I would have rated it higher but for a couple of things. The steak tartar appetizer was over salted, although the steak frites was was very good. Also, the waitress seemed to be new to her job and didn't have answers to some of our questions and confused dishes and tables and forgot minor requests. We were seated on the upper level which was a bit sparse, I think we would have preferred the more intimate first floor. The manager did stop by to see how we were enjoying dinner which I think is a nice touch. I did let him know about the steak tartar and he seemed to genuinely appreciate the honest feedback. I would give this place another try next time we are in Charleston.
- Nice surprisefoodpersonDined on 8/16/2014The food here was much better than expected. Great flavors. I don't love the location. It is in a more touristy part of town. I prefer this restaurant over Rue du Jean(a brasserie that has been in Charleston for a while) for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Was vet impressed! Our waitress was very sweet & right there if we needed anything. The food was fantastic!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried it!CarolDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I tried Gigi's anyway after reading some negative reviews. We found that we shouldn't have worried. The drinks were good, the food was great, and the service was exceptional. Our server recommended an excellent white wine to go with my grilled monkfish, and my husband raved about his salad appetizer with bleu cheese and slices of beef. My favorite part is dessert; their fresh lemon tart was so light and the flavor was a perfect blend of tart and sweet. It was the perfect ending to a great meal and an a wonderful dining experience. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise FindFoodiesDined on 8/15/2014Picked Gigi's from on-line listing for a light supper choice on our first day in Charleston. What a find, as soon as we were led upstairs to the second floor dining room I was thrilled. Nice atmosphere, superb server, and good choices on menu. I did something I have never done and ordered a hamburg, not a hamburg but a gourmet treat. Double ground with choice of cheese, special bacon and a soft poached egg. Unbelievable! With a salad and small brewery draft beer it was fantastic. My wife's choice of redfish was equally a treat. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Good experience, but menu change?foodserviceeatingjunkiesDined on 8/9/2014Overall the restaurant was good. As I told them about out reservation, I over-heard the host say that she did not see our reservation. We were seated in the upstairs dining area, not my first choice for a reservation made a week in advance. As we were seated and began to look over the menu we started to notice that it was nothing like to menu that the restaurant had posted on their website. This was the most dis-heartening, being that we were excited before we got to the restaurant seeing the dishes that were described by their website. The server was most pleasant and the highlight of our meal. Overall 3 out of 5, at best.Special Features:
- Just okayLocalboyDined on 8/9/2014We had noted in the reservation that it was our anniversary, and we were seated at a cramped table too close to others.The place was also boy warm. The waitress was pleasant but a bit too bubbly. The food was good but not spectacular. For the price, we will go somewhere else next time.
- Loved this french bistrosushiloverVIPDined on 8/9/2014Totally enjoyed our dinner. The food, service and ambience were all delightful. Will definitely return. Be sure to ask for a table upstairs.
- StedeBonnetDined on 8/9/2014Good food, fresh and well prepared. Feels very much like a French eatery (except less crowed and noisy). Service was good aside from a mysterious lack of bread plates.Special Features:
- DisappointingmjsandfjsDined on 8/8/2014We were so looking forward to the great French Restaurant here in Charleston having traveled to France numerous times. Where are the true French menu items ? And why Pork Schnitzel unless this is German night! We ordered the Onion Soup which contained mostly bread and broth, the escargots were cooked in olive oil and dried parsley, where was the rich garlic butter sauce?? When the server was asked to pronounce and describe an item on the menu, he said he couldn't pronounce it and knew little about what it was.Special Features:
- ruthDined on 8/5/2014I have heard great things about this restuarant; although it was good, it was not as good as i had anticipated.Special Features:
- A quick trip to Paris !JanetCDined on 8/5/2014Perfect service, fabulous French bistro food. I spend a lot of time in Paris and would think Gigi was a find, even in a Paris neighborhood. Went for lunch two days in a row and may go again. Waiter was a gem, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!LisarichDined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious. We were seated upstairs for dinner. We started with a dozen oyster and the escargot. Both delicious. Oysters were clean and delicious. The escargot is served in the shells and the garlic butter sauce was delicious. My date and I shared our meal, we got a lobster salade, which was delicious, served cold with large chunks of lobster in it. Then we shared the special which was steak and shrimp. It was served with a red bernaise sauce which was very flavorful and there was a potato cake that was very good which I could have eaten more of. We had creme Brulee for dessert and it was delicious as well. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrasserieGigi fine French cuisineCharlestonEDinerDined on 8/2/2014Delicious Steak Frites, Escargot and Shrimp Provencal...lovely atmospheric restaurant, made us feel like we were in a bistro in Paris. A complete review at http://ladylovetoread.blogspot.comSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern French CharmlillycarolineDined on 8/2/2014We LOVED this restaurant. We've been to lots of Charleston restaurants, and this is now our favorite. The service, food and drink = perfection. We really enjoyed eating at the bar - the bartender had an extensive knowledge of food/drink.Special Features:
- Paris in Charleston SCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/1/2014The food and our server from Paris made this a really special night. The escargot was excellent. I ordered poisson jour - the Pink Snapper was prepared perfectly. It was hard to decide what to order because the menu had several fabulous choices. I cannot wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newintownDined on 8/1/2014Has such a nice bar. Will consider eating at bar next time. Rather dark in restaurant but window seating area is great. Drinks started off a little slow but the service attention was great and the food was excellent. All meals arrived piping hot and each of the three fish entrees we all ordered were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, value and selectionRoadmanDined on 7/30/2014The menu offers a wide range of choices that I found well prepared with great presentation. The location was convenient and offered a nice blend of upscale food with reasonable pricing and a nice wine selection. The staff was attentive and engaging without being too slow or overbearing. The food stole the show as should be expected. Presentation matched the quality and flavor sensations as one would expect from the advertisement and decor. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- capecodcapecodDined on 7/29/2014This is my second visit, my first for lunch. It was excellent. Of course I chose the Maine lobster salad. It was very good; however, as I am from MA where lobster salad is basically lobster meat, perhaps a little celery and salad dressing, I was just a little disappointed. However, I enjoyed it and would order it again. It is a great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatsoutDined on 7/24/2014This was our first visit and we were not disappointed. The food was excellent, our waiter efficient and a nice atmosphere. We will return.Special Features:
- Staff ArgumentJillVIPDined on 7/22/2014As soon as we sat down, the staff was openly arguing with each other about a server who took someone else's table. The hostess came over to the bar staff and manager and said, "I told him!" And then the bar staff openly were hostile to that server. Two of the staff left. None of the staff had a clue that we were aware of their unprofessional bickering. I ordered potato leek soup that was served lukewarm and could have been out of a can. We ended up getting salads because the menu was limited and didn't entice you to try anything. My salad was Beef, Beets, and Blue for $16 and came in the size of a side salad. The beef was tender but had no flavor. The beets clearly were not roasted, but pickled and out of a can. The greens were not crisp.
- Classic French cuisineSteveKDined on 7/22/2014We started by sharing the escargots. Perfectly prepared in the classic French custom in the shelf smothered with garlic and butter. For the main course, I had I had scallops which were perfectly prepared. My wife had the shrimp with linguine and would not share as her dish was so good. For dessert, I had the chocolate pot of cream and my wife had the lemon tarte. The wine list is most impressive. I drank a glass of Sancerre with the escargots and a glass of Chablis with the scallops, both excellent parings. The service was superb, he was very professional and knowledgable, but not over bearing. The atmosphere was of a friendly local brasserie as one would expect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- capecodDined on 7/20/2014Absolutely fabulous with exceptional service! We were served by a wonderful waiter - a young man named "John."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over buzz, under delieverExpectingbetterDined on 7/19/2014Over priced, average food, pushy waitress looking to push numerous side plates as the entrees consist of the fish or meat item with NO other item on the plate. $30 dollar meal quickly becomes $40 plus for average bistro food. Too bad, as we expected more from Gigi.
- One of My Husband's Top TenDSSQDined on 7/19/2014We found this place after trying to get into two other spots that were booked for the evening. The long, narrow restaurant felt friendly from the minute we walked in. The hostess was great, offered recommendations and really set the tone. The server came over right away and offered suggestions for both meals and wine. My husband really wanted grouper but there wasn't any listed on the menu. The server suggested he substitute the grouper for the monkfish and so he did. We shared the seafood tower (small - and it was plenty for two of us to share), I had the swordfish was is a cooked in a very light citrus sauce - quite delicious. My husband hardly made a sound while he was eating and proclaimed it one of his top ten.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Nina102Dined on 7/19/2014We were early for our reservation, so we started at the bar with a drink. I had the signature Rosie Cheeks, very good. My husband had a Manhattan made to order, a perfect start to the night. We split the Mussels appetizer to begin our meal. Excellent choice, the mussels were tender and sweet and the broth was outstanding! Upon recommendation from Chris at the bar, I had the Scallops. Four large scallops crispy seared on the outside and tender and moist inside! My husband had the special that evening, a beef and pork meatloaf. Also excellent! We will return for lunch or brunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014He made our dinner more exciting and wanted us thereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic french feel in CharlestonannieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Awesome food choices, quiet and conducive to a business lunch, transported to a Paris brasserie feel for the duration of the lunchSpecial Features:
- Too saltyNanaDined on 7/16/2014After an incredible lunch at Gigi in June, we were excited to take our out of town guest to dinner at Gigi. The menu was unimaginative, if not boring and fell short of our expectations of a true French Brasserie. Two in our party ordered the Pork Schnitzel. It was so salty we couldn't finish our meal. Please Gigi, step it up;Charleston needs an outstanding French restaraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille Day PerfectionAKB1VIPDined on 7/14/2014My foodie friend and I indulged in the special Bastille Day menu and were not disappointed! The Lobster Thermador was one of the best things I have ever tasted. We cannot wait until next year's celebration!Special Features:
- TastyDined on 7/14/2014Jon made the meal pleasurable. The food was prepare to perfectionSpecial Features:
- outstanding foodFrugalFoodiesDined on 7/12/2014I went here on a Saturday night with friends and had an incredible meal, everything was really outstanding. Make sure you have reservations unless you want to try your luck for a spot at the bar. Everything we had was very well prepared and I am going to have a hard time trying to order next time I go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyable mealDrBehaviorVIPDined on 7/12/2014We are locals and live in Mt. Pleasant. Went here with my partner and another couple for a little Saturday evening celebration. Had Caleb as our server & he was extremely competent & attentive. Great pacing of the courses, food was the proper temperature, nice presentation and appropriate portions. Three of us had fish dishes and the pork was also delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OzzieVIPDined on 7/12/2014Appetizers were great (escargot and squid salad) entrees were good (clams over powered by sauce; grouper great). Lemon tart was almost tasteless; no tartness from lemon only from the raspberry sauce and the crust tasted like it was weeks old. Husband said interesting beer list.
- not bad, but not french enough!Spoleto8Dined on 7/12/2014Food was good, timely. Server gracious and knowledgeable. I was surprised though that he did not recommend some french specialties.... I also was expecting a little more french ambiance, like background music... Overall not bad but if it is a French restaurant, it should show it, right? I will recommend it to friends and I will come back and try the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.