New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cognacrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (212) 757-3600
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Fri 7:30 am-11am
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Special Menu Available for Valentine's Day!
A word from Brasserie Cognac
Restaurateurs Vittorio Assaf and Fabio Granato brought their love for French culture and cuisine to New York City by giving the Big Apple an authentic slice of France when they opened Brasserie Cognac de Monsieur Ballon in April 2008. Located in the theater district and frequented by celebrities, businessmen, locals and tourists, the setting is both exciting and charming. The Brasserie style menu offers French classics . Guests can choose to dine in the outdoor sidewalk café, casual original French bakery, classic main dining room, lively bar/lounge or the private Cognac Room as they enjoy meals complimented by 102 varieties of cognac and a gorgeous wine list including first-growth Bordeaux sold by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Cognac reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (17)fit for foodies (17)good for groups (12)special occasion (9)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (6)late-night find (6)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- MumaVIPDined on 11/14/2014Lovely dinning experience. Even at rush hour prior to Theater, the staff managed to deliver excellent service. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of a disappointment.EdddDined on 11/14/2014After a great week in New York City, we planned to finish it up with dinner and a Broadway play with friends. We chose Brasserie Cognac for our pre-play dinner, and thus did not have a lot of time to dawdle. Our waiter was well aware of this. Yet he paid very little attention to us. My friend's pan-roasted salmon which she had ordered well-done (and made it clear that she could not eat underdone food) came back looking like salmon sushi and we had a very hard time to get the waiter back to rectify it. Eventually we had to search through the restaurant for him. My "Farm Raised Chicken Paillard" was essentially tasteless. Because of the salmon snafu, we barely made it to the play on time. With all of the great NYC restaurants, there will be absolutely no reason for us to set foot in Brasserie Cognac again.
- Fine dinner, accommodated last minute seatingHoundduetVIPDined on 11/13/2014The restaurant quickly modified our reservation from 2 to 5 at the last minute without any hesitation or delay even though the house was very full. Service was attentive and the food was well prepared. Brasserie Cognac is comfortable, consistently reliable. It rarely disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what was expectedtheodoraDined on 11/9/2014Have eaten there many times-- my filet mignon burger was tasteless--one pat of butter for 2 people, requested a quiet table and it was right by the door the maitr'd was not friendly. My guest's salmon was the size of a silver dollar and the side of spinach which was extra, was dry and cold. This with 2 glasses of wine was almost $100.Special Features:
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014This is one of our favorite spots for pre theater dinners. It is a bit out of the chaos of Times Square but close enough to walk to all theaters. It is quiet. Service is terrific. You really feel they are all very glad you came. The menu is varies and tasty. Upscale and portions are nice. We always feel well fed.Special Features:
- Wrong Orders and Poor TimingSusanRRVIPDined on 11/2/2014My husband's order wasn't right when it came to the table. The soup and appetizer were served at the same time. You could have played hockey with the halibut. In general....not very impressed and won't be returning.
- good food nice ambienceJjnycVIPDined on 10/31/2014service was good. food was nice and portions were reasonably sized.
- Always a treatBoomerwomanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Not frou-frou fancy but always a fine meal in a gently french preparation. We have had lunch, brunch and dinner (based on theater or JALC tix) and find it tasty, charming and well priced. And when the outdoor seating is open, lovely indeed.Special Features:
- Great BrunchSaraDined on 10/25/2014Met friends for brunch and had a wonderful time. Cozy and comfortable and very French!Special Features:
- Pre-theater gemhelenenycDined on 10/24/2014I go to this restaurant often before going to the theater. It's location is ideal for all the theaters. The food is always good. Nice selection on the menu. Service is good.Special Features:
- MehAdSmithVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food and ambiance are good. The service is weird, slow and slightly off. I asked for lime several times and they kept bringing lemon...I guess they didn't have lime?!? Also, you'd ask for things twice and waitresses can't/won't/don't bring drinks, so they have to find someone...it's complicated. VERY expensive for what it is. I'll pass on this one.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DiningCandlestyxVIPDined on 10/18/2014We booked a reservation at Brasserie Cognac before an evening performance at the Met. In a departure from the usual, the Met started at 8:30, giving us an opportunity to dine more leisurely than is normally the case. The meal was terrific and we both enjoyed our entrees and the appetizer. The lobster bisque is not to be missed and my wife enjoyed the goat cheese and tomato appetizer.Special Features:
- Really a superb placeTomandMaryVIPDined on 10/9/2014Excellent good, perfect service, ample room and quiet - almost unheard of in NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceCaptainChardonnayDined on 10/6/2014Food great, the 5 cheese tray was beautiful and delicious. I had a glass of wine and it was a fine choice....Service was pleasant and outstanding.Special Features:
- Dinner @ CognacAandBDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, good service and atmosphere. Authentic French cooking in a friendly, neighborhood environment. Their fish special and Beef Bourguignon were delicious and the server was attentive. We will return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- melaminDined on 9/21/2014An expensive and disappointing experience. Although we went early and restaurant was empty, noise from the bar and loud radio music made for an unpleasant dining experience food and wine were good but overpriced. Service was friendly.
- We like this restaurant very much!NickVIPDined on 9/18/2014We like Cognac very much. It's well located and convenient to our work locations. The food is good.We've regulars, and it's nice to know it's not a risk.Special Features:
- Brasserie # 3BobLVIPDined on 9/10/2014I frequently use this restaurant whenever I meet friends or business clients in this area of midtown. At lunch time it's a always bit hectic & the service can be spotty but overall I find them to be pretty good. Brunch is better as far as service because it's not as crowded. I had the grilled chicken caesar salad & it's always excellent & certainly large enough for two to share. I've reviewed them elsewhere here but I would recommend them for meals anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackVIPDined on 9/9/2014Best cheese platter I ever had. Better than Jean George's. The gazpacho was different and delicious. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Delicious BreakfastNCgirlVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had breakfast here three times, we liked it so well. We like the Eggs Benedict and the Omelet's best; they are reasonably priced for NY City and come with delicious potatoes and a small salad. Their coffee is also good. When the weather is nice, you can enjoy eating at the tables on the sidewalk. Service is pretty good also.Special Features:
- adminnieVIPDined on 7/24/2014I discovered Brasserie Cognac during the Winter 2014 Restaurant Week and enjoyed my dining experience. The Summer 2014 Restaurant Week menu was just as good. I'll be returning to this restaurant often.Special Features:
- The following 774 reviews are from the Brasserie Cognac reviews archive.
- shankiVIPDined on 7/22/2014for our last night in New York it was wonderful. good ambience, delicious food, nice attentive waiters. very very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and terrific serviceFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Brunch was delicious and the service was attentive. The entire meal was a wonderful experience and a terrific price point. The wine list was limited but the pinot grigio was a complement to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!NattDined on 7/9/2014Take time for the made to order soufflé. Amazing! This is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a quiet settingMonaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our party of four was in seventh heaven, enjoying everything from a variety of cheeses with a pear and grapes, to perfectly sautéed sea scallops over mushroom risotto, along with a fresh, delicious tuna tartare and some fantastic crispy cookies in a variety of flavors for dessert. The beef bourguignon was scrumptious. We appreciated the quiet and loved the food.Special Features:
- Good, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014We go here often because the food and service are uniformly very good. This time we sat outside and enjoyed the warm summer evening with good wine and good food.Special Features:
- Croque MonsieurJaniceDined on 7/4/2014We always order the Croque Monsieur appetizer here. We and our friend who lived in France for a while love this brasserie. Great serving staff as well.Special Features:
- MehAdSmithVIPDined on 7/1/2014Service was SLOW, even though I mentioned we were in a rush and the restaurant was not even 1/2 full at 1:45pm when we were there for lunch. The food looked amazing and tasted mediocre. NO DRINKS and for four people, the bill was $200 for lunch. Very overpriced. I won't return.Special Features:
- Good midtown breakfast spotAthensDinerDined on 6/30/2014This is a good option for breakfast in midtown. Prices are fair, the food is well prepared, and it's a nice looking space.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceMarylandLionDined on 6/28/2014We were disappointed in the service. The restaurant was not busy and we saw little of our waiter. We had to search for him when we wanted to pay the bill. Basically we were ignored for most of the evening. I don't know if this was because our original waiter left after he took our order as his shift ended. It was 7:30 PM. Also I ordered Grand Marnier for an after dinner drink and they ran out of it. How could this happen on a Saturday evening in a French restaurant???? We've been to this restaurant before and enjoyed ourselves. I wonder if our experience is going to become the norm?Special Features:
- you should know your regularsArteVIPDined on 6/11/2014I eat there frequently at least once a month and never ceases to amaze me that when i walk in they have absolutely no idea who I am?????
- Good FoodadminnieVIPDined on 6/3/2014This was my second time dining at Brasserie Cognac. First time was during Restaurant Week and I was very happy with the menu offerings. This time, I ordered off the prie-fixe menu. The food was quite good, but the the number of items on the prie-fixe menu are, I feel, too limited. Loved the cheese puffs!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- A good breakfast meeting locationIenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 6/3/2014There was a pretty wide variety of breakfast choices and the coffee was very good. The waitress was friendly but the service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal in a quiet cornerJss322Dined on 5/29/2014We were really impressed with the food and service. We were entertaining UK guests and wanted to eat near the theater. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- porkyVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a great pre-theater restaurant...however, our waiter was a disaster! He did not put in our food order and we had to rush to be finished in time for our curtain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner spot in midtownlricecspDined on 5/24/2014Our group of three really enjoyed Brasserie Cognac. The service was excellent, and the food was perfect. I don't usually order pork chops, because they are so easy to over-cook. But the Berkshire chop was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was a little loud for my taste, but was no louder than the New York average. The wine was a little pricey. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Reliable and professionalTimeguideVIPDined on 5/24/2014Very relaxed French restaurant. The food is well above average and the service is friendly and helpful. Smooth running kitchen and fresh interesting menu. Prices are reasonable given that it is located so close to "tourist central".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/24/2014I have a thing against restaurants (particularly those that are only afraid to charge a fair amount) refusing to substitute sides with the main meal and charging extra. Seems really poor.
- an old stand-bydiner14VIPDined on 5/19/2014Always a good stand-by. Classic menu and nice atmosphere...and when weather is nice, you can sit outside.
- Ooh-la-laKenLauVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food at Brasserie Cognac was outstanding and the soup special (tomato-red pepper) added a nice touch to the traditional French cuisine. The service was prompt and professional, and we got a window-side table with a great view of the pedestrian traffic on Broadway. Who could ask for anything more?Special Features: