New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cognacrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2127573600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Fri 7:30 am-11am
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Special Menu Available for Valentine's Day!
A word from Brasserie Cognac
Restaurateurs Vittorio Assaf and Fabio Granato brought their love for French culture and cuisine to New York City by giving the Big Apple an authentic slice of France when they opened Brasserie Cognac de Monsieur Ballon in April 2008. Located in the theater district and frequented by celebrities, businessmen, locals and tourists, the setting is both exciting and charming. The Brasserie style menu offers French classics . Guests can choose to dine in the outdoor sidewalk café, casual original French bakery, classic main dining room, lively bar/lounge or the private Cognac Room as they enjoy meals complimented by 102 varieties of cognac and a gorgeous wine list including first-growth Bordeaux sold by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Cognac reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (16)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (8)good for groups (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- adminnieDined on 7/24/2014I discovered Brasserie Cognac during the Winter 2014 Restaurant Week and enjoyed my dining experience. The Summer 2014 Restaurant Week menu was just as good. I'll be returning to this restaurant often.Special Features:
- shankiVIPDined on 7/22/2014for our last night in New York it was wonderful. good ambience, delicious food, nice attentive waiters. very very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and terrific serviceFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Brunch was delicious and the service was attentive. The entire meal was a wonderful experience and a terrific price point. The wine list was limited but the pinot grigio was a complement to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!NattDined on 7/9/2014Take time for the made to order soufflé. Amazing! This is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a quiet settingMonaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our party of four was in seventh heaven, enjoying everything from a variety of cheeses with a pear and grapes, to perfectly sautéed sea scallops over mushroom risotto, along with a fresh, delicious tuna tartare and some fantastic crispy cookies in a variety of flavors for dessert. The beef bourguignon was scrumptious. We appreciated the quiet and loved the food.Special Features:
- Good, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014We go here often because the food and service are uniformly very good. This time we sat outside and enjoyed the warm summer evening with good wine and good food.Special Features:
- Croque MonsieurJaniceDined on 7/4/2014We always order the Croque Monsieur appetizer here. We and our friend who lived in France for a while love this brasserie. Great serving staff as well.Special Features:
- MehAdSmithVIPDined on 7/1/2014Service was SLOW, even though I mentioned we were in a rush and the restaurant was not even 1/2 full at 1:45pm when we were there for lunch. The food looked amazing and tasted mediocre. NO DRINKS and for four people, the bill was $200 for lunch. Very overpriced. I won't return.Special Features:
- Good midtown breakfast spotAthensDinerDined on 6/30/2014This is a good option for breakfast in midtown. Prices are fair, the food is well prepared, and it's a nice looking space.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceMarylandLionDined on 6/28/2014We were disappointed in the service. The restaurant was not busy and we saw little of our waiter. We had to search for him when we wanted to pay the bill. Basically we were ignored for most of the evening. I don't know if this was because our original waiter left after he took our order as his shift ended. It was 7:30 PM. Also I ordered Grand Marnier for an after dinner drink and they ran out of it. How could this happen on a Saturday evening in a French restaurant???? We've been to this restaurant before and enjoyed ourselves. I wonder if our experience is going to become the norm?Special Features:
- you should know your regularsArteVIPDined on 6/11/2014I eat there frequently at least once a month and never ceases to amaze me that when i walk in they have absolutely no idea who I am?????
- Good FoodadminnieDined on 6/3/2014This was my second time dining at Brasserie Cognac. First time was during Restaurant Week and I was very happy with the menu offerings. This time, I ordered off the prie-fixe menu. The food was quite good, but the the number of items on the prie-fixe menu are, I feel, too limited. Loved the cheese puffs!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- A good breakfast meeting locationIenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 6/3/2014There was a pretty wide variety of breakfast choices and the coffee was very good. The waitress was friendly but the service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal in a quiet cornerJss322Dined on 5/29/2014We were really impressed with the food and service. We were entertaining UK guests and wanted to eat near the theater. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- porkyVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a great pre-theater restaurant...however, our waiter was a disaster! He did not put in our food order and we had to rush to be finished in time for our curtain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner spot in midtownlricecspDined on 5/24/2014Our group of three really enjoyed Brasserie Cognac. The service was excellent, and the food was perfect. I don't usually order pork chops, because they are so easy to over-cook. But the Berkshire chop was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was a little loud for my taste, but was no louder than the New York average. The wine was a little pricey. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Reliable and professionalTimeguideVIPDined on 5/24/2014Very relaxed French restaurant. The food is well above average and the service is friendly and helpful. Smooth running kitchen and fresh interesting menu. Prices are reasonable given that it is located so close to "tourist central".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/24/2014I have a thing against restaurants (particularly those that are only afraid to charge a fair amount) refusing to substitute sides with the main meal and charging extra. Seems really poor.
- an old stand-bydiner14VIPDined on 5/19/2014Always a good stand-by. Classic menu and nice atmosphere...and when weather is nice, you can sit outside.
- Ooh-la-laKenLauVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food at Brasserie Cognac was outstanding and the soup special (tomato-red pepper) added a nice touch to the traditional French cuisine. The service was prompt and professional, and we got a window-side table with a great view of the pedestrian traffic on Broadway. Who could ask for anything more?Special Features:
- Expected so Much MoreAllanah2000VIPDined on 5/13/2014Should of known better..Firstly the host was good and accomadating however the service was just average. On many occasions I had to ask for water and then bread theses things should be standard. Then I had to ask for sauce it was exhausting .. Then came the food $27 for their Steak frites okay I will pay that amount however a big piece of fat and poor quality given bearnaise sauce instead of pepper again what a dissapointment when I mentioned it I just recieved a nod....I detect they specifically go for the tourist and bridge & tunnel customer thats their safety net as a local there are far better choices ..Hope they listen Prime theatre district and I for one was looking forward to my meal what a dissapointment
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Bad kitchen work....left out one of four entrees, the last coming 10 minutes later than the others, only after asking twice as to its whereabouts. One of the original entrees was missing key elements of the omelet that had been ordered...Special Features:
- A la francaisanonVIPDined on 5/6/2014A wonderful brasserie in a classic style with a wide range of quality choices. The tuna tart is a "must"Special Features:
- The following 752 reviews are from the Brasserie Cognac reviews archive.
- ReviewfromOct192013VIPDined on 5/3/2014We sometimes eat at Brasserie Cognac before going to Carnegie Hall. The food is always solid, but not exceptional. This time we enjoyed the Salad Nicoise, in which the ingredients were very fresh, the house burger, and the mussels. All met our expectations. And the pommes frites were outstanding. The service, as always, was excellent. We told our waiter that we needed to be at Carnegie Hall, and he timed everything perfectly. He and the others who attended our table were on top of things without being obtrusive. We will most definitely return.
- NiceSEC45Dined on 5/2/2014Food, service, ambiance were all great. The music did NOT fit the the overall feel of the restaurant and detracted from the experience. It was too modern/hip and too loud.Special Features:
- Brasserie # 3BobLVIPDined on 5/2/2014I have review this restaurant previously & they remain one of the better breakfast & lunch places in the midtown area. worth a trip, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- GenRDined on 4/27/2014We had brunch here on a Sunday afternoon, pre-theatre. It's just far enough away from "restaurant row" and the Times Square scene to make it more of a desirable location. We sat by the window, which gave us a perfect view of laid back NY on a weekend. The ambiance and food were excellent. Very tasty selections in a French brasserie milieu. The waiters were friendly, if a bit inattentive, which suited our schedule, since we had time to spare and preferred not being rushed, which is more of the norm in NYC. Overall, would highly recommend this lovely spot.Special Features:
- Bistro fareFoodfanVIPDined on 4/25/2014Felt l8&3 being in a French bistro- great baguette and salad! Friendly service. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteKevinDined on 4/12/2014I had never been to this restaurant before but I'm now a huge fan. Great service. Lovely ambiance. And great food. I had the rotisserie chicken. I think it was the best chicken I've ever tasted. We went pre-theatre. Perfect. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambience and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2014Had a business lunch here and service and food were excellent. My first time, so only had onion soup and beet salad; a bit skimpy on the size of this entree salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently good.rascalVIPDined on 4/4/2014Food is consistently good. Our favorite waiter, Ryan, is the best. He takes such good care of us - very attentive, polite, efficient. We are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Skimpy PortionsMonaBVIPDined on 4/4/2014I used to love eating at this restaurant -- their special chicken salad was the bomb! It's still good, but now you only get half the portion size they used to serve == and the salad is almost all lettuce and cabbage, so they aren't even saving that much money. It's a shame, really as I won't be coming back any time soon.
- Terrific!EljefeDined on 3/30/2014Terrific as always. Greeted promptly, nice table, service, food excellent. Price is fair. A must visit destination when coming to New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/25/2014We picked the restaurant because it was close to the theatre. This is a pleasant surprise and a gem. There was even a prix fix for the theatre. The onion soup was off the charts and every dish at the table looked amazing. I know need to go back to try each different entrée that arrived. The chef came out to watch a table side meal be prepared and started to talk with my family. He was so nice and between the food and service I can not praise this enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not this timeTexasgirlVIPDined on 3/21/2014We have eaten here many times. The food was great as usual but the service was horrible. We seemed to be lost between two servers. And neither one was attentive to our needs. Constantly had to flag down someone to get water, condiments, the bill. This is not the first time that we have received poor service, but it will be the last since we don't plan on returning.Special Features:
- Pre-theaterChrisGVIPDined on 3/19/2014Good for pre-theater dinner. The restaurant is large but feels cozy because it is broken up into smaller areas. The menu has a nice variety of bistro dishes, from soups and salads to bigger meals. Wines are expensive.
- Tasty selectionBoomerwomanVIPDined on 3/15/2014Can't be beat for pre or post Jazz at Lincoln Center. Not as pretentious or pricey as the eateries in the Time Warner Center, and lovely low key service. We've enjoyed brunch and dinners here, anytime we came; someone knows how to cook delicious French bistro fare and hopefully will continue.
- Great Brunch Spot In Midtown WestOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2014We really enjoyed brunch at Cognac. Food was yummy and the atmosphere was fun. Great sunlight lit the space.Special Features:
- geared entirely to tourists.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/13/2014geared entirely to tourists. food was bland and overcooked (when I ordered my dish medium rare, the waiter said they cook everything fully through and don't take special orders for temperature, so we should have known). wine list was out of date and four of the five wines we ordered weren't available, so it took forever to get our order. waiter was pleasant but completely hapless. decor was complete kitsch. filled with tourists who were having a great time. we won't ever go back again.Special Features:
- Too noisyCousinsDined on 3/12/2014Food very average music too loud for any concersation