New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cognacrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2127573600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Mon-Fri 7:30 am-11am
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:30pm;
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Special Menu Available for Valentine's Day!
A word from Brasserie Cognac
Restaurateurs Vittorio Assaf and Fabio Granato brought their love for French culture and cuisine to New York City by giving the Big Apple an authentic slice of France when they opened Brasserie Cognac de Monsieur Ballon in April 2008. Located in the theater district and frequented by celebrities, businessmen, locals and tourists, the setting is both exciting and charming. The Brasserie style menu offers French classics . Guests can choose to dine in the outdoor sidewalk café, casual original French bakery, classic main dining room, lively bar/lounge or the private Cognac Room as they enjoy meals complimented by 102 varieties of cognac and a gorgeous wine list including first-growth Bordeaux sold by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Cognac reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (15)great for brunch (15)good for groups (10)great for outdoor dining (8)late-night find (8)romantic (5)special occasion (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Always a treatBoomerwomanVIPDined on 10/25/2014Not frou-frou fancy but always a fine meal in a gently french preparation. We have had lunch, brunch and dinner (based on theater or JALC tix) and find it tasty, charming and well priced. And when the outdoor seating is open, lovely indeed.Special Features:
- Great BrunchSaraDined on 10/25/2014Met friends for brunch and had a wonderful time. Cozy and comfortable and very French!Special Features:
- Pre-theater gemhelenenycDined on 10/24/2014I go to this restaurant often before going to the theater. It's location is ideal for all the theaters. The food is always good. Nice selection on the menu. Service is good.Special Features:
- MehAdSmithVIPDined on 10/22/2014The food and ambiance are good. The service is weird, slow and slightly off. I asked for lime several times and they kept bringing lemon...I guess they didn't have lime?!? Also, you'd ask for things twice and waitresses can't/won't/don't bring drinks, so they have to find someone...it's complicated. VERY expensive for what it is. I'll pass on this one.Special Features:
- Enjoyable DiningCandlestyxVIPDined on 10/18/2014We booked a reservation at Brasserie Cognac before an evening performance at the Met. In a departure from the usual, the Met started at 8:30, giving us an opportunity to dine more leisurely than is normally the case. The meal was terrific and we both enjoyed our entrees and the appetizer. The lobster bisque is not to be missed and my wife enjoyed the goat cheese and tomato appetizer.Special Features:
- Really a superb placeTomandMaryVIPDined on 10/9/2014Excellent good, perfect service, ample room and quiet - almost unheard of in NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceCaptainChardonnayDined on 10/6/2014Food great, the 5 cheese tray was beautiful and delicious. I had a glass of wine and it was a fine choice....Service was pleasant and outstanding.Special Features:
- Dinner @ CognacAandBDined on 9/22/2014Excellent food, good service and atmosphere. Authentic French cooking in a friendly, neighborhood environment. Their fish special and Beef Bourguignon were delicious and the server was attentive. We will return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- melaminDined on 9/21/2014An expensive and disappointing experience. Although we went early and restaurant was empty, noise from the bar and loud radio music made for an unpleasant dining experience food and wine were good but overpriced. Service was friendly.
- We like this restaurant very much!NickVIPDined on 9/18/2014We like Cognac very much. It's well located and convenient to our work locations. The food is good.We've regulars, and it's nice to know it's not a risk.Special Features:
- Brasserie # 3BobLVIPDined on 9/10/2014I frequently use this restaurant whenever I meet friends or business clients in this area of midtown. At lunch time it's a always bit hectic & the service can be spotty but overall I find them to be pretty good. Brunch is better as far as service because it's not as crowded. I had the grilled chicken caesar salad & it's always excellent & certainly large enough for two to share. I've reviewed them elsewhere here but I would recommend them for meals anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackVIPDined on 9/9/2014Best cheese platter I ever had. Better than Jean George's. The gazpacho was different and delicious. Keep up the good work.Special Features:
- Delicious BreakfastNCgirlVIPDined on 9/4/2014We had breakfast here three times, we liked it so well. We like the Eggs Benedict and the Omelet's best; they are reasonably priced for NY City and come with delicious potatoes and a small salad. Their coffee is also good. When the weather is nice, you can enjoy eating at the tables on the sidewalk. Service is pretty good also.Special Features:
- adminnieVIPDined on 7/24/2014I discovered Brasserie Cognac during the Winter 2014 Restaurant Week and enjoyed my dining experience. The Summer 2014 Restaurant Week menu was just as good. I'll be returning to this restaurant often.Special Features:
- shankiVIPDined on 7/22/2014for our last night in New York it was wonderful. good ambience, delicious food, nice attentive waiters. very very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and terrific serviceFoodieDined on 7/19/2014Brunch was delicious and the service was attentive. The entire meal was a wonderful experience and a terrific price point. The wine list was limited but the pinot grigio was a complement to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!NattDined on 7/9/2014Take time for the made to order soufflé. Amazing! This is a wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in a quiet settingMonaVIPDined on 7/6/2014Our party of four was in seventh heaven, enjoying everything from a variety of cheeses with a pear and grapes, to perfectly sautéed sea scallops over mushroom risotto, along with a fresh, delicious tuna tartare and some fantastic crispy cookies in a variety of flavors for dessert. The beef bourguignon was scrumptious. We appreciated the quiet and loved the food.Special Features:
- Good, as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/5/2014We go here often because the food and service are uniformly very good. This time we sat outside and enjoyed the warm summer evening with good wine and good food.Special Features:
- Croque MonsieurJaniceDined on 7/4/2014We always order the Croque Monsieur appetizer here. We and our friend who lived in France for a while love this brasserie. Great serving staff as well.Special Features:
- The following 768 reviews are from the Brasserie Cognac reviews archive.
- MehAdSmithVIPDined on 7/1/2014Service was SLOW, even though I mentioned we were in a rush and the restaurant was not even 1/2 full at 1:45pm when we were there for lunch. The food looked amazing and tasted mediocre. NO DRINKS and for four people, the bill was $200 for lunch. Very overpriced. I won't return.Special Features:
- Good midtown breakfast spotAthensDinerDined on 6/30/2014This is a good option for breakfast in midtown. Prices are fair, the food is well prepared, and it's a nice looking space.Special Features:
- Disappointing ServiceMarylandLionDined on 6/28/2014We were disappointed in the service. The restaurant was not busy and we saw little of our waiter. We had to search for him when we wanted to pay the bill. Basically we were ignored for most of the evening. I don't know if this was because our original waiter left after he took our order as his shift ended. It was 7:30 PM. Also I ordered Grand Marnier for an after dinner drink and they ran out of it. How could this happen on a Saturday evening in a French restaurant???? We've been to this restaurant before and enjoyed ourselves. I wonder if our experience is going to become the norm?Special Features:
- you should know your regularsArteVIPDined on 6/11/2014I eat there frequently at least once a month and never ceases to amaze me that when i walk in they have absolutely no idea who I am?????
- Good FoodadminnieVIPDined on 6/3/2014This was my second time dining at Brasserie Cognac. First time was during Restaurant Week and I was very happy with the menu offerings. This time, I ordered off the prie-fixe menu. The food was quite good, but the the number of items on the prie-fixe menu are, I feel, too limited. Loved the cheese puffs!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- A good breakfast meeting locationIenjoyeatingoutVIPDined on 6/3/2014There was a pretty wide variety of breakfast choices and the coffee was very good. The waitress was friendly but the service was a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely meal in a quiet cornerJss322Dined on 5/29/2014We were really impressed with the food and service. We were entertaining UK guests and wanted to eat near the theater. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- porkyVIPDined on 5/28/2014This is a great pre-theater restaurant...however, our waiter was a disaster! He did not put in our food order and we had to rush to be finished in time for our curtain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner spot in midtownlricecspDined on 5/24/2014Our group of three really enjoyed Brasserie Cognac. The service was excellent, and the food was perfect. I don't usually order pork chops, because they are so easy to over-cook. But the Berkshire chop was absolutely delicious. The atmosphere was a little loud for my taste, but was no louder than the New York average. The wine was a little pricey. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Reliable and professionalTimeguideVIPDined on 5/24/2014Very relaxed French restaurant. The food is well above average and the service is friendly and helpful. Smooth running kitchen and fresh interesting menu. Prices are reasonable given that it is located so close to "tourist central".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/24/2014I have a thing against restaurants (particularly those that are only afraid to charge a fair amount) refusing to substitute sides with the main meal and charging extra. Seems really poor.
- an old stand-bydiner14VIPDined on 5/19/2014Always a good stand-by. Classic menu and nice atmosphere...and when weather is nice, you can sit outside.
- Ooh-la-laKenLauVIPDined on 5/16/2014The food at Brasserie Cognac was outstanding and the soup special (tomato-red pepper) added a nice touch to the traditional French cuisine. The service was prompt and professional, and we got a window-side table with a great view of the pedestrian traffic on Broadway. Who could ask for anything more?Special Features:
- Expected so Much MoreAllanah2000VIPDined on 5/13/2014Should of known better..Firstly the host was good and accomadating however the service was just average. On many occasions I had to ask for water and then bread theses things should be standard. Then I had to ask for sauce it was exhausting .. Then came the food $27 for their Steak frites okay I will pay that amount however a big piece of fat and poor quality given bearnaise sauce instead of pepper again what a dissapointment when I mentioned it I just recieved a nod....I detect they specifically go for the tourist and bridge & tunnel customer thats their safety net as a local there are far better choices ..Hope they listen Prime theatre district and I for one was looking forward to my meal what a dissapointment
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Bad kitchen work....left out one of four entrees, the last coming 10 minutes later than the others, only after asking twice as to its whereabouts. One of the original entrees was missing key elements of the omelet that had been ordered...Special Features:
- A la francaisanonVIPDined on 5/6/2014A wonderful brasserie in a classic style with a wide range of quality choices. The tuna tart is a "must"Special Features:
- ReviewfromOct192013VIPDined on 5/3/2014We sometimes eat at Brasserie Cognac before going to Carnegie Hall. The food is always solid, but not exceptional. This time we enjoyed the Salad Nicoise, in which the ingredients were very fresh, the house burger, and the mussels. All met our expectations. And the pommes frites were outstanding. The service, as always, was excellent. We told our waiter that we needed to be at Carnegie Hall, and he timed everything perfectly. He and the others who attended our table were on top of things without being obtrusive. We will most definitely return.
- NiceSEC45Dined on 5/2/2014Food, service, ambiance were all great. The music did NOT fit the the overall feel of the restaurant and detracted from the experience. It was too modern/hip and too loud.Special Features:
- Brasserie # 3BobLVIPDined on 5/2/2014I have review this restaurant previously & they remain one of the better breakfast & lunch places in the midtown area. worth a trip, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- GenRDined on 4/27/2014We had brunch here on a Sunday afternoon, pre-theatre. It's just far enough away from "restaurant row" and the Times Square scene to make it more of a desirable location. We sat by the window, which gave us a perfect view of laid back NY on a weekend. The ambiance and food were excellent. Very tasty selections in a French brasserie milieu. The waiters were friendly, if a bit inattentive, which suited our schedule, since we had time to spare and preferred not being rushed, which is more of the norm in NYC. Overall, would highly recommend this lovely spot.Special Features: