Brasserie Cognac East
963 Lexington Ave.
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie Cognac East
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cognaceast.com/
- Phone: 2122495100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm/>Dinner nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;/ Brunch 10am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Brasserie Cognac East
Restaurateurs Vittorio Assaf and Fabio Granato brought their love for French culture and cuisine to New York City by giving the Big Apple an authentic slice of France when they opened Brasserie Cognac de Monsieur Ballon in April 2008. The Brasserie style menu combines French classics. Guests can choose to dine in the outdoor sidewalk café, classic main dining room, lively bar/lounge or the private Cognac Room as they enjoy meals complimented by over 85 varieties of cognac and a gorgeous wine list including first-growth Bordeaux and Burgundies and an extensive wine by the glass list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Cognac East reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (50)great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (20)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (11)romantic (10)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- SouthamptonsouthamptonVIPDined on 9/29/2014We went for a girls dinner. The service was not great, but I am not sure if that was because the waiter was letting us "chat" or not. The food was reLly good. I would recommend Cognac to others.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemLocalNeighborVIPDined on 9/27/2014Cute restaurant with a good selection of French bistro dishes. Went with 3 others, we all ordered different dishes and loved what we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gemPIPMDVIPDined on 9/23/2014Wonderful low keyed, but, well dressed upper East Side restaurant. Excellent food and wines for lunch and dinner - couldn't be a better setting for lunch on a sunny day.Special Features:
- Food below averageFrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/22/2014convenient location but service and food below average
- Great neighborhood bistroJJssVIPDined on 9/17/2014We had just a wonderful evening. We sat outside and a quiet side street on a beautiful evening. Great, simple food and nice wine.Special Features:
- Good French bistrocath98Dined on 9/12/2014Love having Cognac in the neighborhood. You can eat as heavily or lightly as you want and dishes like cheese soufflé and cheese fondue in the winter are a nice change of pace. The salads are good, the halibut is delicious, and there is a good range of choices. Love it for brunch, lunch and dinner. A cut above.Special Features:
- RobnycDined on 9/9/2014Great menu and food was super. A little noisy, but in a good "happening" way. A great neighborhood place.Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 9/4/2014They honored our request for one of the front tables, which we appreciated. The wine prices here are ridiculously high for a brasserie--can't find a red for less than $45, and ordering by the glass is infuriating. They give a pour that's embarrassing. Once I sent the glass back, once I complained and they added a little more wine. I ordered the filet mignon hamburger, medium rare, and it arrived well done. I had to send it back and wait until my husband had finished his dish before it arrived. It was properly cooked the second time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StellaDined on 9/3/2014Love dining there, excellent for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for warmthGoodGollyMMDined on 8/29/2014My daughter had audition at Marymount college, it started a snow and sleet mix. I saw the Cognac sign and I immediately thought I would like some cognac to warm my 62 yr old bones. We entered, and suddenly we sat at a corner booth chatting with local new yorkers on the subject of art shows and good bistro hotels in the area. We kept drinking, eating and visiting until snow was over, but we did not wish to leave. My daughter did start her semester at Marymount college and she loves it. So to celebrate her birthday, when I was in town from Oklahoma, I made sure we celebrated her 19th year at Cognac. We will forever have a soft spot in our hearts for this cozy brasserie. It gave her audition that day the luck she needed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place!Look4goodeatsDined on 8/25/2014We discovered this restaurant by accident. There are few restaurants of this caliber in that area of the city. It's small, but the menu has a nice selection of choices. I especially liked the cold soup and the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasure in every way.CitygirlDined on 8/20/2014Charming venue with gracious and friendly service. Creative and delicious cuisine, as well as new takes on standard fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly great foodDaveVIPDined on 8/5/2014We have been over a dozen times. They make the best and freshest salads of any restaurant in our 10 block area on the UES. We showed up early so decided to eat at the bar. Despite being very busy, the bartender could not have taken better care of us. The halibut was real delight which is now added to our list of favorites there which include the filet and chicken for entrees and profiteroles for dessert. Truly great food.Special Features:
- Lovely family eveningCaseystarDined on 8/2/2014Sat outside on a beautiful night. They do the scallops, burgers and pork perfectly. Great salads too. Service was good and desserts are outstanding. It is a little pricey but we had such a nice family night it felt worth it.Special Features:
- Would not recommendGummaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Eat there often but a very bad night. Will not go back there again!
- Could do betterCharlieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Arrived for a reservation on time and had requested a quiet table. The hostess directed us to a banquette table close to diners on either side. As we passed a four top, I asked if we could be seated there since it was a week night and rather late. She declined because it was set aside for four, she explained. Less than ten minutes after we were seated a couple were seated by the same hostess at the four top. Not smart on her part. Food is OK but not exceptional and service was at best acceptable. Ordered a Sauvignon Blanc wine that arrived very warm. After several returns the third time the wine arrived at a cool drinkable temperature. "Cognac" should know better. Also noted a two top was placed and occupied blocking an emergency exit
- Wonderful food worth the priceElizabethDined on 7/21/2014The scallops dish was exquisite, and the ambiance was lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014It was a little more money than I planned on spending, but the food was great.Special Features:
- Not so sure on the weekendCGNNYCVIPDined on 7/13/2014Maybe because it was late in the afternoon on a summer Sunday, but Brasserie Cognac East was a little disappointing. I live in the neighborhood and was anticipating coming here. Was just so-so. Will come back and try for dinner.
- OutstandingShikaraVIPDined on 7/12/2014A small restaurant but not small on its offerings or the caliber of the food. There are so many choices that it is necessary to return to try other dishes. The wine list, although not large, offers some good choices. A wonderful restaurant with good service and wonderful food.Special Features:
- Brasserie Cognac SuperbRickDined on 6/28/2014This is our 4th or 5th time having either lunch or dinner...we had dinner with friends. The place never disappoints. The food and service are excellent and they are responsive to requests...e.g. lower the music, air conditioner, etc. We consider it a neighborhood gem. It is not inexpensive, but worth it by NY standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is always accommodating by saving the table we like in the front. Food is okay--not exceptional but fine for lunch.Special Features:
- RonJVIPDined on 6/26/2014Very disappointing. The food was only so-so. Will not be going back.
- Lucky to live nearbyPIPMDVIPDined on 6/18/2014Since opening, the quality of food has improved and it is an excellent restaurant. I used to consider it a great spot for a salads at lunch and a great spot to talk.Now the BISTRO + menu is wonderful.Lively, helpful staff. PPIPMDSpecial Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2014We sat in the window for an early dinner for two. It was bright and cozy at the same time. The food selections were so good and so authentically French Bistro that it was difficult to decide. The service is excellent. Top recommendation.Special Features:
- Upper East Side FindcrisVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time at Cognac and look forward to returning. The upstairs feels like a cozy townhouse living room. We sat downstairs on our second visit and were just as comfortable. The fish dishes were excellent and so was the lobster ravioli. If you are in the mood for something simple, the hamburger was delicious and it came with very good fries. On Saturday night two musicians strolled around and were not intrusive and added a fun touch as guests made special requests. Wines by the glass were reasonable and good. Desserts are ample for sharing. The service was informative and friendly although they could have been a little more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch treatnewyorker10021VIPDined on 6/13/2014Onion soup is the best , chicken salad deelish, lunch menu has many choices, all seemed goodSpecial Features:
- EastsideVIPDined on 6/8/2014Extremely pleasant neighborhood bistro with a great menu. And they have floating island on the dessert menu everyday !!Special Features:
- needs trainingninaVIPDined on 6/5/2014nice place but lackluster servers/bussers unattentive or overattentive ( clearing before finished with meal ) menu very nice but server disinterested or not eager to entice/explainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 138 reviews are from the Brasserie Cognac East reviews archive.
- Brasserie Cognac EastFrenhsk8VIPDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food is always superb. The service is top notch. Being a New York City restaurant, it is small and the tables are close together. If you are seated next to a large party it can be noisy. Reservations are recommended and the owner will always try to honor a request for seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, poor serviceFrequentdinerVIPDined on 5/27/2014We were constantly having to wave to get attention of the waiters at a night that wasn't too busy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/25/2014I love their food especially the soufflé it is delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 5/23/2014They honored my request for a front table, which I appreciated. Food was good. High wine prices by the glass. Restaurant was very quiet as it was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerKCNYVIPDined on 5/17/2014Classic French dishes are so hard to come by, but Brasserie Cognac manages to offer a wonderful selection. The food is delicious and the service is very attentive and prompt. A great wine list and the server offers great suggestions for wine pairings. It was our first visit and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014Great food and extremely good service. I asked for something not on the menu and was easily accommodated. We spent 3 hours at the table and never felt rushed. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 5/16/2014Even though we requested a front room table through Open Table, there was a new person at the reservation desk who didn't know us and ignored the request. She put us in the backroom, which is very noisy. We asked to be moved and were put at a smaller table in the front. The food here is never great but consistently good.Special Features:
- IntroductionsBarryDined on 5/13/2014Every time I introduce someone new to Cognac they all seem to enjoy everything, food, ambience, and service. It is really a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Always consistentGoldieDined on 5/12/2014Whether it's brunch, dinner or late night snack, the service is always consistent, the food is always delicious... great neighborhood place too! I love it here!Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 5/7/2014This is a good restaurant for lunch. Good variety, consistent quality. The wait staff are very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna Tart!CousinsVIPDined on 5/6/2014That tuna tart never fails to impress! Nothing better and it is the perfect lunch, light dinner, or late-night snack. I could eat it every day.Special Features: