Brasserie Cognac East
963 Lexington Ave.
New York, NY 10021Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie Cognac East
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cognaceast.com/
- Phone: 2122495100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm/>Dinner nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;/ Brunch 10am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Brasserie Cognac East
Restaurateurs Vittorio Assaf and Fabio Granato brought their love for French culture and cuisine to New York City by giving the Big Apple an authentic slice of France when they opened Brasserie Cognac de Monsieur Ballon in April 2008. The Brasserie style menu combines French classics. Guests can choose to dine in the outdoor sidewalk café, classic main dining room, lively bar/lounge or the private Cognac Room as they enjoy meals complimented by over 85 varieties of cognac and a gorgeous wine list including first-growth Bordeaux and Burgundies and an extensive wine by the glass list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Cognac East reviews from OpenTable diners
78 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (26)great for brunch (21)fit for foodies (19)great for outdoor dining (18)special occasion (11)romantic (10)kid-friendly (6)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A pleasure in every way.CitygirlDined on 8/20/2014Charming venue with gracious and friendly service. Creative and delicious cuisine, as well as new takes on standard fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly great foodDaveVIPDined on 8/5/2014We have been over a dozen times. They make the best and freshest salads of any restaurant in our 10 block area on the UES. We showed up early so decided to eat at the bar. Despite being very busy, the bartender could not have taken better care of us. The halibut was real delight which is now added to our list of favorites there which include the filet and chicken for entrees and profiteroles for dessert. Truly great food.Special Features:
- Lovely family eveningCaseystarDined on 8/2/2014Sat outside on a beautiful night. They do the scallops, burgers and pork perfectly. Great salads too. Service was good and desserts are outstanding. It is a little pricey but we had such a nice family night it felt worth it.Special Features:
- Would not recommendGummaVIPDined on 7/30/2014Eat there often but a very bad night. Will not go back there again!
- Could do betterCharlieVIPDined on 7/23/2014Arrived for a reservation on time and had requested a quiet table. The hostess directed us to a banquette table close to diners on either side. As we passed a four top, I asked if we could be seated there since it was a week night and rather late. She declined because it was set aside for four, she explained. Less than ten minutes after we were seated a couple were seated by the same hostess at the four top. Not smart on her part. Food is OK but not exceptional and service was at best acceptable. Ordered a Sauvignon Blanc wine that arrived very warm. After several returns the third time the wine arrived at a cool drinkable temperature. "Cognac" should know better. Also noted a two top was placed and occupied blocking an emergency exit
- Wonderful food worth the priceElizabethDined on 7/21/2014The scallops dish was exquisite, and the ambiance was lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014It was a little more money than I planned on spending, but the food was great.Special Features:
- OutstandingShikaraVIPDined on 7/12/2014A small restaurant but not small on its offerings or the caliber of the food. There are so many choices that it is necessary to return to try other dishes. The wine list, although not large, offers some good choices. A wonderful restaurant with good service and wonderful food.Special Features:
- Brasserie Cognac SuperbRickDined on 6/28/2014This is our 4th or 5th time having either lunch or dinner...we had dinner with friends. The place never disappoints. The food and service are excellent and they are responsive to requests...e.g. lower the music, air conditioner, etc. We consider it a neighborhood gem. It is not inexpensive, but worth it by NY standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is always accommodating by saving the table we like in the front. Food is okay--not exceptional but fine for lunch.Special Features:
- RonJVIPDined on 6/26/2014Very disappointing. The food was only so-so. Will not be going back.
- Lucky to live nearbyPIPMDVIPDined on 6/18/2014Since opening, the quality of food has improved and it is an excellent restaurant. I used to consider it a great spot for a salads at lunch and a great spot to talk.Now the BISTRO + menu is wonderful.Lively, helpful staff. PPIPMDSpecial Features:
- Wonderful RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/18/2014We sat in the window for an early dinner for two. It was bright and cozy at the same time. The food selections were so good and so authentically French Bistro that it was difficult to decide. The service is excellent. Top recommendation.Special Features:
- Upper East Side FindcrisVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was our second time at Cognac and look forward to returning. The upstairs feels like a cozy townhouse living room. We sat downstairs on our second visit and were just as comfortable. The fish dishes were excellent and so was the lobster ravioli. If you are in the mood for something simple, the hamburger was delicious and it came with very good fries. On Saturday night two musicians strolled around and were not intrusive and added a fun touch as guests made special requests. Wines by the glass were reasonable and good. Desserts are ample for sharing. The service was informative and friendly although they could have been a little more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch treatnewyorker10021VIPDined on 6/13/2014Onion soup is the best , chicken salad deelish, lunch menu has many choices, all seemed goodSpecial Features:
- EastsideVIPDined on 6/8/2014Extremely pleasant neighborhood bistro with a great menu. And they have floating island on the dessert menu everyday !!Special Features:
- needs trainingninaVIPDined on 6/5/2014nice place but lackluster servers/bussers unattentive or overattentive ( clearing before finished with meal ) menu very nice but server disinterested or not eager to entice/explainSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brasserie Cognac EastFrenhsk8VIPDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant never disappoints. The food is always superb. The service is top notch. Being a New York City restaurant, it is small and the tables are close together. If you are seated next to a large party it can be noisy. Reservations are recommended and the owner will always try to honor a request for seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food, poor serviceFrequentdinerVIPDined on 5/27/2014We were constantly having to wave to get attention of the waiters at a night that wasn't too busy.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/25/2014I love their food especially the soufflé it is delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 5/23/2014They honored my request for a front table, which I appreciated. Food was good. High wine prices by the glass. Restaurant was very quiet as it was the Friday of Memorial Day weekend.Special Features:
- Delightful DinnerKCNYVIPDined on 5/17/2014Classic French dishes are so hard to come by, but Brasserie Cognac manages to offer a wonderful selection. The food is delicious and the service is very attentive and prompt. A great wine list and the server offers great suggestions for wine pairings. It was our first visit and we will definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/16/2014Great food and extremely good service. I asked for something not on the menu and was easily accommodated. We spent 3 hours at the table and never felt rushed. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 5/16/2014Even though we requested a front room table through Open Table, there was a new person at the reservation desk who didn't know us and ignored the request. She put us in the backroom, which is very noisy. We asked to be moved and were put at a smaller table in the front. The food here is never great but consistently good.Special Features:
- IntroductionsBarryDined on 5/13/2014Every time I introduce someone new to Cognac they all seem to enjoy everything, food, ambience, and service. It is really a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Always consistentGoldieDined on 5/12/2014Whether it's brunch, dinner or late night snack, the service is always consistent, the food is always delicious... great neighborhood place too! I love it here!Special Features:
- RemiVIPDined on 5/7/2014This is a good restaurant for lunch. Good variety, consistent quality. The wait staff are very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuna Tart!CousinsVIPDined on 5/6/2014That tuna tart never fails to impress! Nothing better and it is the perfect lunch, light dinner, or late-night snack. I could eat it every day.Special Features:
- Interesting menu, cozy brasserieUptowndinerDined on 5/1/2014Varied menu with the French standards plus some new twists. The tuna tart was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 126 reviews are from the Brasserie Cognac East reviews archive.
- Cute PlaceMikeVIPDined on 4/27/2014This cute little spot has an excellent Bistro-style menu and a small bar area. We sat in the front room with a view of the world passing by. Almost felt like sitting in a Paris cafe!Special Features:
- Nice first visitNancyVIPDined on 4/23/2014This was my first time at Brasserie Cognac, after having been to Lumi numerous times over the years. I am very happy with the change. The menu is very interesting, service was professional and prompt, and the food was delicious. The bar was quite busy for a Wednesday night, and the atmosphere was fun but not too loud.Special Features:
- famous tart, not that great.nyctdDined on 4/22/2014I didn't think the famous salmon tart was that great. In fact, it was pretty awful. I asked for a description, and it seemed like it would salmon in a pastry shell. this was more like salmon pizza. ugh.Special Features:
- Good lunch placeRemiVIPDined on 4/18/2014The food here is that of a typical brasserie. Lots of choices, most good, none outstanding.Special Features:
- nice bistrolove3dineDined on 4/12/2014We went on a Saturday night and it was sort of crowded. Next time we'll go during the week. The spinach avocado salad was great and so was the bread. I had a traditional beef dish which I liked and was happy that the portion wasn't too hugh. We had a New Zealand sauvignon blanc which was good and reasonably pricedSpecial Features:
- the food is consistently good;RemiVIPDined on 4/4/2014the food is consistently good; the service professional. It can get crowded and noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsGlobalvagrantsDined on 3/28/2014Good varied menu, delicious food, lovely atmosphere, pleasant staff. No complaints and always a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but portionsporkyVIPDined on 3/25/2014Food was good, but portions were very small!!! Service was inattentive.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch.JaneVIPDined on 3/22/2014We had an early brunch at Cognac, but it was so early that there was nobody else there, so I can't really comment on the atmosphere when it's full. I will say that the gougeres were fantastic, and our entrees (the Cognac chicken salad, and the tuna tart) were absolutely delicious. The service was immaculate. It was expensive, but I thought very very good. I would definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and TastyDaveVIPDined on 3/16/2014The freshest salads of any restaurant and all the food is well done. We shared the spinach and avocado salad. I had the duck which was unbelievable and my wife had the lobster ravioli which she raved about. We have been there a half dozen times so far and have not been disappointed. Wonderful addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- highly recommendshellwomanDined on 3/15/2014Went on a busy Saturday night and despite the crowd the table reservation was honored, the waiter attentive and the food very good. The cocktail was a generous size. Only downside is there is only one bathroom in the restaurant. An odd thing for such a busy venue.Special Features: