Brasserie by LM
800 S. Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Brasserie by LM
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://brasseriebylm.com/
- Phone: (312) 431-1788
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday thru Thursday 7am - 9pm
Friday and Saturday 7am - 10pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Christian Gosselin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Brasserie by LM
Brasserie by LM is the new restaurant in the Essex Inn!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Brasserie by LM - Best Restaurants in South Loop ›
Brasserie by LM reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (28)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (20)great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (14)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (7)romantic (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (4)special occasion (4)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Unique South Michigan Spot with promiseDeporresDined on 11/21/2014Went on a busy Friday Night before going to see the dance at the Auditorium. In addition to many loud diners, there were several planned events going on. I liked the openness of the room and the diversity amongst staff/servers. Will try a Sunday Brunch next month and a dinner on a Thursday night. I want to explore the different eateries on South Michigan. Suspect some of the surrounding hotels have good dinningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RaccoonMeLunchDined on 11/19/2014Excellent food, very poor service. Good Jazz music not too loud. Nice atmosphere and views of the park.
- Neighborhood gemTheBirthdayGirlDined on 11/15/2014My favorite neighborhood spot! I've been several times and my experience gets better each time. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In With The New!JosetteDined on 11/13/2014Sorry to hear that Greg is no longer at Brasserie by LM; however, the new manager and wait staff are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, quiet restaurantLennyDined on 11/7/2014Went with a group of 6. Could easily converse, and food and service were good. I'll go back again for sure.Special Features:
- great pre-theatre spotAnitaVIPDined on 11/6/2014good, diverse menu & handy MI ave location. would have liked valet parking to extend b/y 9 pm as theatre performance wasn't over by then.Special Features:
- Great food, service was lackingRachDined on 11/4/2014The food was excellent. Our group had everythign from an omelet to crepes to teh chocolate french toast. There was nothing that was anything but outstanding. The service seemed a bit slow and inattentive considering there were not many people there during that time. Also, I am a chai tea latte drinker - they serve it almost everywhere and I definitely expected a location known for breakfast and brunch to offer it, but it was not available - big bummer as I was waiting to get there for my breakfast pick me up.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Love love love this place. Great food and great people. They have never disappointed me. This will be my go to place whenever I go to Auditorium.Special Features:
- SeafoodEatalotDined on 10/11/2014Would have liked to have a fish choice other than salmon. Didn't see whether salmon was wild or farm-raised. Suspect farm-raised and I don't like the taste. Otherwise, my food was tasty.Special Features:
- OutstandingPamcapVIPDined on 10/8/2014Attending a conference with few options for dining. Highly recommend LM. Bravo !I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greg's the Best!JosetteDined on 9/21/2014Manager Greg is wonderful; we have become regulars because of the service! The ambiance is great, and whether we are there on $5 martini night, Sunday Unlimited Mimosa Brunch, or just stopping by to dine, we always have a great experience at Brasserie by LM! The menu selection is not huge; however everything is quite good and there is a variety of items to choose from. The Twisted Frenchie and the Pear Martini are favorites!Special Features:
- great pre-theater diningDmt111Dined on 9/18/2014I always love coming to Brasserie by LM when going to the Auditorium theater or other performance spaces in the area. The food was once again delicious and I had a hard time deciding between their seasoanl specials and some of the signature dishes that never disappoint. I opted for the Beef Bourgignon and enjoyed every tasty bite. My dinner guests were equally delighted with their choices. Service was attentive, knowledgable and friendly and we had plenty of time to eat our dinner before walking over to the Auditorium. We used the hotel valet parking and got a $14 validation from the restaurant for 4hours of parking. It worked out perfectly and rounded out what was a truly lovely evening of dinner and theater in downtown Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not goodkirstjenVIPDined on 9/15/2014We hadn't been to Brasserie in awhile. We both ordered onion soup and found the onions under cooked & the soup generally flavorless. I ordered the fish of the day & was told it was trout served with spinach, fingerling potatoes & white beans. It was NOT trout & was served over a bed of white beans - not a fingerling or leaf of spinach to be seen, again with no seasoning. My husband ordered the burger with fries. The burger was good, but the fries were coated with some powdery substance & were leathery & cold. After our order was taken, our waitress never returned to our table. Nobody asked how our food was & we had to ask another waiter for our bill.
- Great PlaceKBanFoodieDined on 8/31/2014Great brunch spot with a cute outdoor area and for $25 bottomless mimosas and a meal, you really cant beat that! Plus side, our server was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch but very busy!AAKelsoDined on 8/31/2014Not what we expected but the bottomless mimosa brunch was great! Sort of confusing when you get there but once you're in your seat, you're happy.Special Features:
- SplendidYvonneVIPDined on 8/24/2014We've decided that Brasserie by LM will be a tradition for us. It's in the perfect location for dining right after one of Chicago's legendary downtown events. For us it was the Chicago Triathlon but there are concerts, races, dances, shopping, sites, etc. Brasserie by LM fits in perfectly to satisfy our hunger after all of that. We are huge fans of their bottomless mimosas and have probably sampled their entire brunch menu because of it! My personal favorite is the French Toast. I think what people will appreciate about this restaurant is that the food is approachable and good. You want a burger? You get a burger. You want French Toast? That's what you get. It's clean, simple, and wonderful.Special Features:
- DisappointingcentennialdinerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I met a friend who was attending a convention at the Hilton here. After hearing great things about the LM line of restaurants, we were excited to try the Brasserie. We planned to have drinks and dinner, but eventually decided not to order any more food after the cheese plate we had as a starter was overpriced and lackluster and our waiter was nowhere to be found. Even after asking for the check multiple times, we had to wait for at least half an hour for him to bring it (while he set all the tables for breakfast service) and when he did finally bring it, the bill was incorrect and needed to be rerun.Special Features:
- Great For BrunchWhatWhatDined on 8/2/2014This is the best brunch I've been to in a long time! The bottomless mimosas were great. The food was great. The bill wasn't outrageous as it could have been for Michigan Ave. I made a reservation because I knew how close to Grant Park/Lolla it was and was seated immediately. My guests had a great time!Special Features:
- Nice place for a dinner outChichiDined on 8/1/2014My family and I went yo this restaurant during lolapalooza. We sat outside for drinks and dinner. The service was great. Food was ok overall. Only complaint for me was the chicken entree . The chicken barely had any flesh on it and I ended up leaving hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 208 reviews are from the Brasserie by LM reviews archive.
- Fabulous brunch!marbDined on 7/27/2014We stayed overnight at the Hilton (next door) and brunch at The Brasserie was a perfect way to start our Sunday. The food was fresh, delicious, and plentiful. I ordered the American Breakfast and it was prepared exactly the way I ordered it. The potatoes and English Muffin, especially, made me compliment the chef. Whoever heard of compliments for the English Muffin - but it was so good, and the potatoes are homemade and so tasty. My husband ordered pancakes - he said they were so light and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless MimosasYvonneVIPDined on 6/29/2014The Bottomless Mimosas was a fabulous deal - especially if you have at least two mimosas. The $25 dollar deal comes with unlimited mimosas and an entree (I got a burger but you can get brunch food also). The service was friendly and great. We had a great time but didn't think the food was awesome. that's okay because we still feel as if we got a great deal and DEFINITELY drank enough mimosas to make it worth it!Special Features:
- outdoor seating / wineCityGirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014The outdoor seating area on Michigan Avenue is nice and the wine list decent (1/2 price bottles on Wednesday). Service was very good. I'd return for cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2014This was our first visit on a late Sunday afternoon. The food was excellent and the service attentive and very good. Since the restaurant was not busy at this off hour it is hard to objectively assess such features as service, noise level etc. We had an excellent dining experience and definitely will go back.Special Features:
- First ReviewBte86VIPDined on 6/21/2014I usually don't like to write reviews but this place is amazing- great staff, awesome food, and a terrific location and view. My wife and I go all the time for brunch. A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/13/2014He food was pretty good. I didn't have an omg moment as in I have to go back. But if I ever stumble across this place aagin I won't be upset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A well done classic bistroapiciusVIPDined on 6/6/2014I have always liked this restaurant which has lovely outdoor dining on Michigan Ave. across from the beautiful park, and have had good food, but this meal was above the usually good food. I don't know why it was even better this time, but the fish of the day we had that day was absolutel fresh and delicious and cooked perfectly on a bed of pea puree, beans and other vegetables also beautifully cooked. The food here is not fussy or overly complex, but excellent comfort French bistro fare. The service was friendly and efficient and it was just an excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoupsVIPDined on 5/20/2014I am not sure which was worst - the food or the service. Don't waste your time or money
- First timeCeceOfOzDined on 5/11/2014This was my first time at Brassiere by LM, & I can't say it was great, though I wish I could. A friend of mine & I came for brunch on Mother's Day, & were not seated for our noon reservation until almost 20 mins past. It should be noted that I arrived about 15 mins early to prevent an additional wait. Where Brassiere fails is in the service part of the service industry. We were told to wait at the bar and they would call our name, yet the bartender didn't acknowledge us when we sat. Mind you, the bar was NOT full. I then had to approach the hostess 2x, both times she forgot who I even was, thus adding to the longer wait time. Our waiter took his time before bringing us our drinks, & he did not refill them. I may try again, but I doubt it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KathDined on 5/9/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant with outdoor seating near the Auditorium Theatre and found this. It was great - good food, lots of great and varied choices on the menu with a good range of prices. We enjoyed the nice sidewalk tables; it's always fun to watch passersby on Michigan Avenue, and it's a quieter part of Michigan so was not as noisy as farther north.Special Features:
- KitchenClosedVIPDined on 4/28/2014Okay to drop in for a quick lunch. Service was attentive and pleasant. Atmosphere somewhat cold and dreary.Special Features:
- SeafoodFanVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were staying next door at the Hilton Chicago and four of us went next door to Brasserie LM. Loved the menu and everyone enjoyed their entree. Chocolate mousse was only OK. It seemed several dining groups were coming in and out for just one course of their dinner.
- Great foodbigjakeDined on 4/26/2014Get the lyonnaise salad, beef bourguignon, potatoes puree, fingerling potatoes, chocolate mousse. Food was outstanding. Sit away from the front door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch!Melissa71600Dined on 4/20/2014Went here for Easter Brunch! We did their bottomless mimosa Sunday brunch which was great! We sat outside which made it even more awesome. The service was great and so was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An aberrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Living in the neighborhood I like this restaurant. Friday was different. We told the waitor we needed to leave at 6:50 and 7:10 we discovered we didn't have the bill. The fish of the day was to be walleye and we were served a cod because it was changed but the waitor never informed us. I really didn't think the cod was too fresh. I will give them another chance because I've always had a much better experience there.
- Excellent location and foodYodaDined on 4/13/2014We had breakfast here while staying at the attached hotel. It is a very inviting restaurant with tall ceilings and open areas that are well lit by the natural coming in through the huge windows on Michigan Avenue. My son and I had the Croque Madame and my girlfriend had the American Breakfast. Everything was delicious and delivered in a timely manner. The waiter made mistakes. My girlfriend and I had both ordered turkey sausage with our meals. She got bacon and I got nothing. My son's croissant was forgotten too. We brought this to the waiter's attention and he quickly fixed them. The restaurant did not charge us for these mistakes so I think that should be noted as good effort on their part. I would still recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a late brunchAbbyDined on 3/29/2014We went to Brasserie by LM on a Saturday around 2pm. We were hoping for brunch but the restaurant ends brunch at 2pm so we had to order from the lunch/dinner menu. The food was amazing. I ordered a salad with salmon on top and it was delicious. Our waiter was very attentive. The one flub was at the end when he brought cold coffee but he immediately fixed the problem. We also had our baby with us and it wasn't a problem at all. I would definitely recommend this place for a Saturday brunch, lunch or dinner. They also have five dollar martinis on Saturdays after 2pm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So impressive!SuziQVIPDined on 3/29/2014Between the delicious food and the wonderful customer service... I look forward to sending everyone there. It is the perfect spot in the summer for outside seating on Michigan Ave. Living in the South Loop, we are limited to the pleasures of dining outside when the weather is nice. LOVE LOVE this place! I have been here for both brunch and dinner. Delicious french delacacies all around. They didn't have Nutella crepes on the menu, so when I asked they had the chef make me a special crepe, he did with no hesitation...Out of this world service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and moderate pricesksnickelVIPDined on 3/15/2014Nice place with good food. Prixe fix menu very good price. Nice for any meal. Pleasant staff and owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have read the scathing reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2014I have read the scathing reviews of the poor service and even experienced myself once in the past. Friday, we couldn't have dreamed of better service. Taken to our seat immediately, drink order taken quickly with a quick turn around. Everything was very quick and friendly and professional. The food, as always, was very well done. If I could cook chicken this well at home, I would be very very proud of myself. A delightful eveningSpecial Features:
- Slow service poor foodMcby61Dined on 3/14/2014I had the Amish chicken which was too salty and very tough on one side. It came with two fingerling potatoes the size of grape tomatoes which were also too salty. The service was very slow, I was often missing drinks, and often it was after I had requested them. 4 times the server came back to the table after I had asked for a drink, without the drink. The prices were very reasonable (we live in the neighborhood) and the decor was trendy but these we're the only bright spots in the trip. The mixed drinks I ordered were quite random in terms of pour. First one was over poured, second under and then over again, always by extreme amounts. It's clear that this place is a trap for hotel patrons who see the great menu and prices and stop in.