Brasserie by LM
800 S. Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Brasserie by LM
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://brasseriebylm.com/
- Phone: 3124311788x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday thru Thursday 7am - 9pm
Friday and Saturday 7am - 10pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Christian Gosselin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Brasserie by LM
Brasserie by LM is the new restaurant in the Essex Inn!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie by LM reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (15)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (12)neighborhood gem (9)scenic view (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (4)special occasion (3)hot spot (3)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- not goodkirstjenVIPDined on 9/15/2014We hadn't been to Brasserie in awhile. We both ordered onion soup and found the onions under cooked & the soup generally flavorless. I ordered the fish of the day & was told it was trout served with spinach, fingerling potatoes & white beans. It was NOT trout & was served over a bed of white beans - not a fingerling or leaf of spinach to be seen, again with no seasoning. My husband ordered the burger with fries. The burger was good, but the fries were coated with some powdery substance & were leathery & cold. After our order was taken, our waitress never returned to our table. Nobody asked how our food was & we had to ask another waiter for our bill.
- Great PlaceKBanFoodieDined on 8/31/2014Great brunch spot with a cute outdoor area and for $25 bottomless mimosas and a meal, you really cant beat that! Plus side, our server was phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch but very busy!AAKelsoDined on 8/31/2014Not what we expected but the bottomless mimosa brunch was great! Sort of confusing when you get there but once you're in your seat, you're happy.Special Features:
- SplendidYvonneVIPDined on 8/24/2014We've decided that Brasserie by LM will be a tradition for us. It's in the perfect location for dining right after one of Chicago's legendary downtown events. For us it was the Chicago Triathlon but there are concerts, races, dances, shopping, sites, etc. Brasserie by LM fits in perfectly to satisfy our hunger after all of that. We are huge fans of their bottomless mimosas and have probably sampled their entire brunch menu because of it! My personal favorite is the French Toast. I think what people will appreciate about this restaurant is that the food is approachable and good. You want a burger? You get a burger. You want French Toast? That's what you get. It's clean, simple, and wonderful.Special Features:
- DisappointingcentennialdinerDined on 8/8/2014My husband and I met a friend who was attending a convention at the Hilton here. After hearing great things about the LM line of restaurants, we were excited to try the Brasserie. We planned to have drinks and dinner, but eventually decided not to order any more food after the cheese plate we had as a starter was overpriced and lackluster and our waiter was nowhere to be found. Even after asking for the check multiple times, we had to wait for at least half an hour for him to bring it (while he set all the tables for breakfast service) and when he did finally bring it, the bill was incorrect and needed to be rerun.Special Features:
- Great For BrunchWhatWhatDined on 8/2/2014This is the best brunch I've been to in a long time! The bottomless mimosas were great. The food was great. The bill wasn't outrageous as it could have been for Michigan Ave. I made a reservation because I knew how close to Grant Park/Lolla it was and was seated immediately. My guests had a great time!Special Features:
- Nice place for a dinner outChichiDined on 8/1/2014My family and I went yo this restaurant during lolapalooza. We sat outside for drinks and dinner. The service was great. Food was ok overall. Only complaint for me was the chicken entree . The chicken barely had any flesh on it and I ended up leaving hungrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous brunch!marbDined on 7/27/2014We stayed overnight at the Hilton (next door) and brunch at The Brasserie was a perfect way to start our Sunday. The food was fresh, delicious, and plentiful. I ordered the American Breakfast and it was prepared exactly the way I ordered it. The potatoes and English Muffin, especially, made me compliment the chef. Whoever heard of compliments for the English Muffin - but it was so good, and the potatoes are homemade and so tasty. My husband ordered pancakes - he said they were so light and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless MimosasYvonneVIPDined on 6/29/2014The Bottomless Mimosas was a fabulous deal - especially if you have at least two mimosas. The $25 dollar deal comes with unlimited mimosas and an entree (I got a burger but you can get brunch food also). The service was friendly and great. We had a great time but didn't think the food was awesome. that's okay because we still feel as if we got a great deal and DEFINITELY drank enough mimosas to make it worth it!Special Features:
- outdoor seating / wineCityGirlVIPDined on 6/25/2014The outdoor seating area on Michigan Avenue is nice and the wine list decent (1/2 price bottles on Wednesday). Service was very good. I'd return for cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/22/2014This was our first visit on a late Sunday afternoon. The food was excellent and the service attentive and very good. Since the restaurant was not busy at this off hour it is hard to objectively assess such features as service, noise level etc. We had an excellent dining experience and definitely will go back.Special Features:
- First ReviewBte86VIPDined on 6/21/2014I usually don't like to write reviews but this place is amazing- great staff, awesome food, and a terrific location and view. My wife and I go all the time for brunch. A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014He food was pretty good. I didn't have an omg moment as in I have to go back. But if I ever stumble across this place aagin I won't be upset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A well done classic bistroapiciusVIPDined on 6/6/2014I have always liked this restaurant which has lovely outdoor dining on Michigan Ave. across from the beautiful park, and have had good food, but this meal was above the usually good food. I don't know why it was even better this time, but the fish of the day we had that day was absolutel fresh and delicious and cooked perfectly on a bed of pea puree, beans and other vegetables also beautifully cooked. The food here is not fussy or overly complex, but excellent comfort French bistro fare. The service was friendly and efficient and it was just an excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoupsVIPDined on 5/20/2014I am not sure which was worst - the food or the service. Don't waste your time or money
- The following 200 reviews are from the Brasserie by LM reviews archive.
- First timeCeceOfOzDined on 5/11/2014This was my first time at Brassiere by LM, & I can't say it was great, though I wish I could. A friend of mine & I came for brunch on Mother's Day, & were not seated for our noon reservation until almost 20 mins past. It should be noted that I arrived about 15 mins early to prevent an additional wait. Where Brassiere fails is in the service part of the service industry. We were told to wait at the bar and they would call our name, yet the bartender didn't acknowledge us when we sat. Mind you, the bar was NOT full. I then had to approach the hostess 2x, both times she forgot who I even was, thus adding to the longer wait time. Our waiter took his time before bringing us our drinks, & he did not refill them. I may try again, but I doubt it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!KathDined on 5/9/2014We were looking for a nice restaurant with outdoor seating near the Auditorium Theatre and found this. It was great - good food, lots of great and varied choices on the menu with a good range of prices. We enjoyed the nice sidewalk tables; it's always fun to watch passersby on Michigan Avenue, and it's a quieter part of Michigan so was not as noisy as farther north.Special Features:
- KitchenClosedVIPDined on 4/28/2014Okay to drop in for a quick lunch. Service was attentive and pleasant. Atmosphere somewhat cold and dreary.Special Features:
- SeafoodFanVIPDined on 4/26/2014We were staying next door at the Hilton Chicago and four of us went next door to Brasserie LM. Loved the menu and everyone enjoyed their entree. Chocolate mousse was only OK. It seemed several dining groups were coming in and out for just one course of their dinner.
- Great foodbigjakeDined on 4/26/2014Get the lyonnaise salad, beef bourguignon, potatoes puree, fingerling potatoes, chocolate mousse. Food was outstanding. Sit away from the front door.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch!Melissa71600Dined on 4/20/2014Went here for Easter Brunch! We did their bottomless mimosa Sunday brunch which was great! We sat outside which made it even more awesome. The service was great and so was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An aberrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2014Living in the neighborhood I like this restaurant. Friday was different. We told the waitor we needed to leave at 6:50 and 7:10 we discovered we didn't have the bill. The fish of the day was to be walleye and we were served a cod because it was changed but the waitor never informed us. I really didn't think the cod was too fresh. I will give them another chance because I've always had a much better experience there.
- Excellent location and foodYodaDined on 4/13/2014We had breakfast here while staying at the attached hotel. It is a very inviting restaurant with tall ceilings and open areas that are well lit by the natural coming in through the huge windows on Michigan Avenue. My son and I had the Croque Madame and my girlfriend had the American Breakfast. Everything was delicious and delivered in a timely manner. The waiter made mistakes. My girlfriend and I had both ordered turkey sausage with our meals. She got bacon and I got nothing. My son's croissant was forgotten too. We brought this to the waiter's attention and he quickly fixed them. The restaurant did not charge us for these mistakes so I think that should be noted as good effort on their part. I would still recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a late brunchAbbyDined on 3/29/2014We went to Brasserie by LM on a Saturday around 2pm. We were hoping for brunch but the restaurant ends brunch at 2pm so we had to order from the lunch/dinner menu. The food was amazing. I ordered a salad with salmon on top and it was delicious. Our waiter was very attentive. The one flub was at the end when he brought cold coffee but he immediately fixed the problem. We also had our baby with us and it wasn't a problem at all. I would definitely recommend this place for a Saturday brunch, lunch or dinner. They also have five dollar martinis on Saturdays after 2pm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So impressive!SuziQVIPDined on 3/29/2014Between the delicious food and the wonderful customer service... I look forward to sending everyone there. It is the perfect spot in the summer for outside seating on Michigan Ave. Living in the South Loop, we are limited to the pleasures of dining outside when the weather is nice. LOVE LOVE this place! I have been here for both brunch and dinner. Delicious french delacacies all around. They didn't have Nutella crepes on the menu, so when I asked they had the chef make me a special crepe, he did with no hesitation...Out of this world service :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and moderate pricesksnickelDined on 3/15/2014Nice place with good food. Prixe fix menu very good price. Nice for any meal. Pleasant staff and owners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have read the scathing reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 3/14/2014I have read the scathing reviews of the poor service and even experienced myself once in the past. Friday, we couldn't have dreamed of better service. Taken to our seat immediately, drink order taken quickly with a quick turn around. Everything was very quick and friendly and professional. The food, as always, was very well done. If I could cook chicken this well at home, I would be very very proud of myself. A delightful eveningSpecial Features:
- Slow service poor foodMcby61Dined on 3/14/2014I had the Amish chicken which was too salty and very tough on one side. It came with two fingerling potatoes the size of grape tomatoes which were also too salty. The service was very slow, I was often missing drinks, and often it was after I had requested them. 4 times the server came back to the table after I had asked for a drink, without the drink. The prices were very reasonable (we live in the neighborhood) and the decor was trendy but these we're the only bright spots in the trip. The mixed drinks I ordered were quite random in terms of pour. First one was over poured, second under and then over again, always by extreme amounts. It's clear that this place is a trap for hotel patrons who see the great menu and prices and stop in.
- Poor service at LMBenFranklinDined on 3/13/2014Three friends, went to LM for a latish dinner. It was 9 PM; business was slow and 2 waitresses were working the floor. After seating the three of us, we all ordered wine and chatted, After an attempt to get our order, another few customers came in.We eventually flagged down a member of the wait staff and ordered. It took over an hour for the entrees to arrive. Although the dinners were competently prepared, it was clear tht we had been forgotten. One of us had ordered the three course-the signature rice pudding was eh and one diner's tea was forgotten.
- Best Potatoes EverOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/23/2014What I will remember most about my brunch at this restaurant was the potatoes. They are so good that I am still thinking about them a week later!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every timeblondemezzoDined on 2/21/2014Every time I come here the service is slow. I mean REALLY slow. I don't know if it's the kitchen, the wait staff, or the management, but it is probably why there are only about 8 people in there for both lunch and dinner each time I go.
- The place is nice, the serviceLeBlancDined on 2/14/2014The place is nice, the service is great and the food is delicious, We waited 30 minutes or so to get a table but it was worth the wait. The mango margarita was just right, but the food really blew my mind, that bibb salad with salmon was a great started, main dish was the beef boumignon(please correct me if i spelled wrong) and it was perfect, the dessert was pretty sweet and lovely a well prepared creme broule. Our waiter was exceptional and lead us just right on our first french dinner (thank you Luc!). Definetly going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of waitingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Don't except to be seated at the time of your reservation, we waited about 40 min after our reservation time and then felt rushed to finish our meal.Special Features:
- Keep it hotmountaingirlDined on 2/14/2014Better for this restaurant to aspire to be a pub than a brasserie. It just doesn't have the kitchen staff to turn out upscale meals, although it's menu touts itself as an upscale one. My food came out of the kitchen luke warm and gussying up an ordinary profiterole with a swath of something doesn't make i a French dessert. Even my frisee salad lacked panache. Too bad.
- College emporium?ZchiguyDined on 2/14/2014Even for a Bistro portions are small. But served with tough green stems
- First timeZenchantDined on 2/14/2014First time at this restaurant. Seems they weren't ready to handle Valentine's crowd. Twice food meant for others was brought to our table. Our main course was delivered before our starters were finished. Someone came by to ask how are desserts when clearly we haven't tasted them yet. I always give restaurants a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Atmosphere is good for conversation Food is fair. Price is acceptable. .
- French coffee shopbanjochefDined on 2/14/2014Brasserie by LM is less a Brasseie than it is a coffee shop or french style diner. The onion soup tasted like it was made with unseasoned Swansons beef broth. No bread was put on the table, thoug we saw that a few other tables were lucky enough to $9.00 wines by the glass were pedestrian. The mussels had a nice tomato fennel broth but were pretty flavorless. The frites were passable. The cider glazed chicken lunch special had a nice cider crust but was slightly overcooked and under seasoned. Finally, there was very little on the menu that spelled Brasserie.
- Good food, confused serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2014Appropriate and flavorful French bistro cuisine. But they were understaffed with inexperienced waiters. They were constantly scrambling on an average Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The beef bourguignon was absolutelyAvivaDined on 2/13/2014The beef bourguignon was absolutely delicious! The wine suggested by our waiter was a perfect pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.