300 West 46th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brasserieathenee.com/
- Phone: 2123991100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Brasserie Athenee
A rich elegant atmosphere with simply great French food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Athenee reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Good locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014Great location for pre/post theatre. Food was okay. Service was friendly and efficient. A table by the window to watch the busy street set the tone.
- flemingsVIPDined on 6/28/2014a french restaurant.... didn't have cafe au lait... and waiter didn't even know what that is... hummmmm
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/19/2014a positive addition to the theatre district dinner optionsSpecial Features:
- a window on the worldauntgidgetVIPDined on 6/8/2014It was a lovely place for brunch pre-theater. We were three people who had different items from the menu and everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Row Disappointmentdougt01Dined on 6/3/2014We love going to brasseries because the food tends to be consistent and satisfying. however, the food here was really sub-par. My friend had an ok experience with the pre-theater menu, but I ordered a la carte and each dish was uncharacteristically bad. The goat cheese appetizer (baked) was like eating rubber. The steak frites were a fat and gristle affair with tepid fries that were anything but crisp. The "apple tart" was nothing like tarte tatin - just baked apples on the thinnest layer of mushy pastry - I had to send it back. Without any wine, the bill with tip was still $100 - just not worth the quality of food. Our waiter was very attentive (until it got busy with the pre-theater crowd). Go to Pigalle on 48th instead!Special Features:
- The following 424 reviews are from the Brasserie Athenee reviews archive.
- great location, everything else badTellsItLikeItIsDined on 5/14/2014Made reservation for 12:30 since restaurant was very near the theatre. Had tickets for a matinee. Arrived 12:15 and there were 5 other tables taken yet hostess tried to put us at a table that practically blocked the front door to the restaurant. Not acceptable with so many empty tables. Refused to sit there and were escorted to a better table. Told hostess we had to get to the theatre but no waiter appeared. After 15 minutes, we had to get up and look for a waiter so we could order. Finally ordered and waited another 30 minutes for 2 mediocre salads. We'd probably still be sitting there if we had ordered something that had to be cooked. Were time and location not an issue we would have left. Restaurant wasn't even crowded. Avoid!
- Excellent Meal & Excellent ServiceSammyDined on 5/10/2014We were celebrating Mother's Day and were heading to a Broadway show afterwards. We didn't have much time before the show and our waiter helped to get our food delivered quickly and we still had a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, ok foodsmarcDined on 5/9/2014We made reservations for a pre theatre dinner and found the restaurant to by busy but certainly not full. Service was fine, the atmosphere nice and prices were reasonable. We all really enjoed our salads (Frisse aux lardons, Poached pears and arugula) and the thick slices of delicious breads. Our entrees were fine (hamburger, salmon, steak frites) but we all agreed we would return for the salads only.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brasserie AtheneeDBM1VIPDined on 4/30/2014Mussels were fantastic - very fresh, some of the best we've had. Salade nicoise was ok - presentation could have been better. A good choice pre- theatre - convenient location - and good service. Major criticism is that tables are so small - hard to reach for the salt and pepper without maneuvering not to knock over wine glass.
- don't botherFoodie92VIPDined on 4/30/2014Hosts were unpleasant. They insisted on taking our umbrellas and did not "check them". When we left our umbrellas had been taken by others, it was pouring and were only offered inferior, damaged umbrellas unlike the high quality umbrellas that we owned and were forced to check. Food was fair and arrived at the table cold and overcooked.
- DisappointingJMadfesVIPDined on 4/23/2014Food was bland at best. Much better options nearby
- Great Place to DineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014I was presently surprised how tasty the food was and attentive the waiters were. I will definitely eat at this restaurant again and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food--terrible serviceQtOne75Dined on 4/13/2014This was the second visit. We had such a positive experience the first time that we went back. When the waiter brought our beverages, he literally just threw them on the table such that the plate with cream wobbled for a few seconds. We noticed he forgot our requested water, but we didn't see him again to ask for them. When another server brought our food, we asked for refills and water and was told they were too busy. After we finished eating we could not get anyone's attention to request the check do we had to go to the bar to request it. The food was excellent but the service was so bad we will not return.
- Good thing the food was good...AlysonVIPDined on 4/12/2014This was our first time at this restaurant, but we will hesitate before going back. This is all about the service, not the food. If you don't care about quality service, then I would recommend this restaurant. The salads were well-proportioned and delicious. The braised short ribs were really good and the chicken with mushrooms was also enjoyed. Once we ate our dinner, however, no one ever returned to offer a dessert menu. We had numerous failed attempts to get the waiter's attention. He then brought over the dessert that came with the one prix fix meal that was ordered and offered nothing to the rest of the party. The tea I ordered never arrived and we again had to track down the waiter to get the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Freshest food, good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014Food is so fresh -- the vegetables, especially. Delicious, good portion size, reasonable cost. A find in the theatre district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French breakfastJussieDined on 4/12/2014Brasserie Athenee is nicely located in the theater district and just a few blocks up from the Port Authority on a corner location. The building is painted blue on the outside and interior is cozy and welcoming. The tables are close nit but comfortable. The service was prompt and efficient. The food was nicely plated and tasted delicious. I ordered the Brioche French toast and it was sublime. We enjoyed our breakfast and didn't feel rushed. The only disappointment for a few in our party was that the Nutella Crepes on the menu were not available when we ordered them! It seemed odd that a French restaurant that advertised crepes could not make them available.Special Features:
- Excellent pre-theater optionmeanjeanDined on 4/11/2014Had passed by this restaurant many times and decided to try it prior to a show. Good energetic atmosphere, varied selection of wines by the glass,and solid classic French bistro food. Escargot were wonderful; I had the moules frittes which were flavorful and fresh; my friend had the salmon which was cooked perfectly. Not a typical tourist stop despite location. Would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JewelOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/8/2014Great for pre-and apres - theater -- Terrific menu. Very accommodating. Pre fixe includes dessert which we did not have time for before theater so they served us when we came back after theater. Mussels, burgers, salmon -- all delicious. Great for people watching on the corner of 46th & 8th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We returned to this placeSandyDined on 4/8/2014We returned to this place because we liked it a lot, but this time the food was subpar and with so many choices in the theater district I see no reason to return.
- Good pre theater dinner atOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014Good pre theater dinner at a reasonable price. Staff was courteous and polite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant. ServicejohnDined on 3/29/2014Excellent restaurant. Service was excellent, especially waitress Tina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingTheatretripperDined on 3/27/2014Our second time here, proabaly the last. Great location, so convenient to theaters, pretty setting, $29 prix fixe pre-theater menu. Prix fixe menu selections were few in number. No one in our group had a good meal--dry and tasteless chicken, stringy beef, forgettable accompaniments. Waiter was polite but inept. This could be such a great spot, pretty interior, light and bright because of the windows which make for great people watching. Food and service needs lots of improvement.
- Small space, smaller tablesWayneDined on 3/22/2014Small breakfast menu. High price, for small space, small tables, and small plates
- Great location in theater districtbeverlyDined on 3/8/2014Food was good. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Portion size was decent for the money. Service was good. Casual, a tad worn but fits the bill for a smaller type restaurant near the theater district. Had plenty of time to enjoy meal and then get to our showSpecial Features:
- If and when on broadway.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/8/2014Good location for pre show dinner. Food was very fresh and tasty. Great wine list ! The service was good as well. Wouldn't go out of my way to travel if not on the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have been here to the bar5of5dinnerDined on 3/8/2014Have been here to the bar on several occasions and love the ambience and appetizers. Went for dinner after a show on Saturday and was disappointed in the food. The pork and duck were overcooked and not very flavorful. Big disapointment. But will be back for a pre-theater drink or break in the day cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the prix fixe meal.bearleDined on 2/22/2014I've eaten at Athenee many times and have always ordered the pre-theatre prix fixe meal but this time the vegetables were a kind of pulverized slush and the chicken was dry and tough. Both the green salad and the creme caramel were fine but I'm going to order off the menu next time. As always, the service was impeccable and the ambience just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy restaurantNyronniDined on 2/14/2014We had dinner here for Valentines Day and had a delicious meal. We had salads, appetizers and a main course each. All were prepared very well and tasted delicious. The service was great, everyone was very friendly and gracious, and the ambiance was cozy and romantic. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and will eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Busy Pre-TheatresharonVIPDined on 2/8/2014I had dinner with my boyfriend for his birthday just as the pre-theatre crowd was finishing up. The service was attentive, the food was good, and it was pleasantly quiet as we finished our meal and dessert leisurely. It was a little crowded when we first arrived; I felt like I was bumping elbows with the table next to me and was unintentionally eavesdropping because they were so close. Also, there wasn't much protection from the cold--every time someone came in or left, a cold breeze sent a chill through the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before theaterAuntBarbaraDined on 2/4/2014Very good, varied, imaginative dishes. I had butternut squash soup and the Mediterranean tapas appetizer, a very complete, reasonably healthy and delicious meal. I have been there before and will return often. Very convenient to Broadway theaters. The service was also good, attentive but not intrusive. That may vary depending on the crowd -- this time we were there early on a snowy week night and not many people were out.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnersbartDined on 1/31/2014The location was perfect for the theater we were going to, and the food was good. Service could have been a little more attentive.Special Features:
- reviews were correctdisappointedDined on 1/26/2014food was disappointing -- fair at best. sea bass had a strange preparation, the mussels (billed as one of the better items on the menu) were small and tasteless and had to be sent back because they came out cold. with so many other good eateries on the same street (restaurant row -- 46th street), this one should be passed by.
- nice brunch spotlovedmDined on 1/26/2014i especially liked it during its quiet time at three on a cold Sunday afternoonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant !martycDined on 1/25/2014This is a great restaurant with fabulous food, friendly service !Special Features:
- Decent mealDPH07Dined on 1/24/2014Good meal overall. Slightly overpriced, but typical for the area. Food was great, service was good, ambiance was a little lack lustre. Was cold sitting by the windows, small wine list, and the server was not all that knowledgable on the available selections. Portions sizes were decent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brasserie AtheneeLovetodineVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great spot to eat before seeing a matinee. Fun to watch people going by. Food is task and plentiful but not so much that you get sleepy during the show.Special Features:
- Just ConvenientChrisIDined on 12/29/2013It was convenient to the Theater District...which is why one eats up there. The restaurants are not know for excellent food, just convenient food. Too Bad! Anyway Athenee was no great shakes, but eatable. Not sure how a French Brassier can be out of Mussels for an early Saturday seating. I feel that the wait staff should inform you what they don't have before you get your heart set on a certain thing and go to order items they don't have...And the frits (fries) were soggy! Really?, that's what you go to a Brasserie for! Big Sigh!!!
- Noisy but really tastyMikswifeVIPDined on 12/28/2013We went on a recent Saturday evening. The service was good, the food was very tasty, though my grilled octopus was tough and cold:( my husbands onion soup was wonderful. He also inhaled his Duck Confit LOVED IT! The service was very good though I so hate how very close together the tables are. This is not at all relaxing and you learn entirely to much information about the diners around you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was ok.Foodie87Dined on 12/26/2013The food was just ok. The service was slow. They were overbooked and totally understaffed.
- ConvenientdilmDined on 12/23/2013Overall our experience was mediocre. We did love the ambiance of the restaurant but neither my husband or my food was of the quality we would expect in NYC for the price. Next time we would just go for drinks and appetizers.Special Features: