Brasserie 8 1/2
9 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie 8 1/2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brasserie812.com/
- Phone: 2128290812x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11am-3pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French / American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our catering menu for private events incorporates our critically acclaimed classic French cuisine with a modern twist, custom-designed menus to meet your needs, and an extensive, award-winning wine list of domestic and imported bottles.
A word from Brasserie 8 1/2
Brasserie 8 ½ achieves a delicate fusion of creativity and comfort, featuring a world-class art collection, adventurous haute French cuisine and a plush atmosphere. A luscious raw bar, Latin and Asian influenced dishes, succulent meats, and a dessert selection that is a world apart, artfully complement this glamorous setting.Visit our other great restaurants by clicking on the link below.Continued
The Patina Restaurant Group
The Patina Restaurant Group
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie 8 1/2 reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (83)fit for foodies (76)good for groups (56)great for lunch (52)romantic (50)great for brunch (43)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (22)kid-friendly (12)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Awesome food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary. The food was amazing. The service was outstanding. Very clear discription of foods and wine. Clearly the server knew the menu and wine list completely!!! Will definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyableMikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014This was our second time at this restaurant and we enjoyed it as much. Once again we shared the tuna tartare appetizer which was excellent. We both had the duck breast. It was prepared perfectly. Stephen, our waiter, provided outstanding service. Our dining experience was made even better because I had a birthday coupon.Special Features:
- Satisfaction guaranteed!40yearsDined on 9/12/2014We were extremely pleased with the food and extraordinary service at this dining establishment! A true gem in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSherylVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lunch here was a real treat. The restaurant is lovely and welcoming, and the food is just delicious. Chicken paillard was excellent, and the chop-chop salad was also good. The presentation is beautiful, and service is attentive and helpful. Would absolutely recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceGourmandDined on 9/7/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The service was excellent, the food outstanding, and the entire experience what you hope for in a restaurant on a special occasion. It was a Sunday night, so not crowded, but we found it consistently exceeded our expectations. We were taking out of town foodies to the restaurant so were particularly pleased at how impressed they were with the food. We definitely recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb food, peaceful ambiencedehillerinVIPDined on 9/4/2014Had a birthday dinner and great conversation (in conversational tones). No raised voices to compete with others. Plenty of diners, but well designed to keep the noise down. I think the food tastes better that way. PS One of the best creme brulees you'll find.
- A restaurant where you can converseRichard45Dined on 9/3/2014The food is always creatively prepared, the service is attentive and the room is lovely. The noise level is moderate, and it is possible to hold a conversation, especially in one of the generously sized booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible EleganceElsasolseatsVIPDined on 8/27/2014Beautifully presented, delicious cuisine, professionally served in an elegant, expansive setting -- at fair price. A fine offspring of Patina, formerly ad memorably in West Hollywood.Special Features:
- Overpriced and not deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014I don't recommend this at all. Anything you order comes in a very small quantity. Moreover, it's not delicious. But the cost is almost 2-3 times as high as if you order in another high scaled restaurant. I don't recommend it at all.
- PhiWDined on 8/18/2014Never fails to please. Fine dining and outstanding ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our yearly visitjojoDined on 8/17/2014For the last 5 years we have gone to brunch here at Brasserie 8 1/2 on our anniversary weekend. Always super nice staff, delicious meal and great ambiance. It has never let us down. Will be there next year, God willing.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great place, service and food excellent. Delicious lobster bisque that came with fresh lobster meat. It is a great place for any occasion. Nice bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotStacyMelindaDined on 8/15/2014My two friends and I went for restaraunt week summer 2014. We wanted to try a cuisine that was new to us. Some of the things on the menu were strange so we stuck to what we new...which is kind of contradictory actually..never the less, it was delish. Our waiter was very nice. The food was interesting. I really have no complaints. We were the only ones in the place at the time. Except for maybe one or two other parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My all time favoriteneighborVIPDined on 8/15/2014No matter what the occasion,this is a wonderful place for everyone,especially a senior who doesn't like noise…Younger diners like the Bar..the etchings and painting and lever are beautiful….The food is always good.Special Features:
- Love it!JoeLeeDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant occupies a rather big area and the lighting is dim, but the servers are all extremely friendly and easy to get along with, especially a waiter by the name of Norman. The filet mignon was exquisite and cooked to perfection, and the chocolate dessert was fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant week lunchLovelyDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriend and I went to Brasserie 81/2 for the restaurant week lunch. We were called the morning of to confirm our reservation. We arrived exactly on time and our table set for two at a large booth was waiting for us. The entrance down to the dinning area and lounge was spectacular. It reminded me of the elegance of the 1930's Hollywood. Very bright and airy. We ordered drinks and given time to select our appetizers, entrees and dessert. We ordered the tomatoes medley salad, duck patte, grilled chicken with fried zucchini flower and the steak with mushroom sauce. All DELICIOUS!!!! Very beautifully presented and a nice sized portion. The desserts were cherry Black Forest cake and mousse and peach tart with vanilla ice cream. Loved it.Special Features:
- The place to have a good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food is good and service is very good. We loved the steak and duck breast. The bread is cold, may need to warm them a little. Overall, this is a place for a good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VibeMonicaDined on 8/13/2014Brasserie 8 1/2 was a great find from reading up about NYC restaurant week. The service was truly outstanding, and the food was of a high standard. The dishes were well thought out and looked great. My lobster was incredibly fresh. The space is big but with enough private nooks and crannies for those who want privacy. Also the decor is very quirky, it has a 1960's feel about it featuring a truly magnificent bar and a wonderful grand sweeping staircase. All in all we were very pleased to have chosen Brasserie 8 1/2 to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable servicealexisnyDined on 8/13/2014the food was delicious, escargot was havenly and filet mignon was perfect! we were a little pressed with the time and our waiter made sure the food arrived on time making our unfortunately short stay very pleasantSpecial Features:
- SherylVIPDined on 8/13/2014Step down the spiral stairs and you are transported. The dining room is lovely, and the RW lunch was outstanding. Pate was tasty; others enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad. Trout was delicious! One diner had the cobb salad which came creatively and beautifully presented. Cherry dessert was crazy good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCFoodie1Dined on 8/13/2014The lobster salad was all lobster and no salad. It would have been better with more greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrjsyreefDined on 8/12/2014A spacious, modern upscale French restaurant that reminds me of MOMA. A great ambiance for a special occasion. The wait staff are gracious and courteous. I was impressed with the thoughtful food presentation and skilled demonstration of technique.Special Features:
- Experience was good.MaurDined on 8/11/2014The Brasserie 8 1/2 is an attractive restaurant with a popular bar. Very modern and a little on the noisy side. Food was good but portions were sparse. Service was good. It was a nice experience, but I don't think I'll be rushing back anytime soon. I would, however, consider going for drinks.Special Features:
- My reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The place is great for any type of the occasions. Friendly and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014It was just ok. The omelet was ok nothing special.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Great place with excellent food choices.Tried the Long Island duck breast with Sauvignon Blanc -> exquisite.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureRDawaltDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten here regularly over the past years. We use the restaurants for celebrations, sometimes just for a quiet place for dinner, and sometimes because we can get a last minute reservation. We have always had a good meal in a lovely setting. This past week we were two needing a place for conversation and good food. Both of us had superb fish dishes. The appetizer wasn't as wonderful and the desert not worth ordering. The Martinis were well made and the service a little to relaxed but still appropriate. Go for the totality of the package and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Disappointing during restaurant wkBartonKeyesVIPDined on 8/8/2014We've very much enjoyed eating here before, for both dinner and scrumptious brunches, but coming during restaurant week we were a little disappointed by both the food and the service. I understand that reduced-price three-course menus are bound to be a little mass-produced and that servers would prefer the tips that come with ordering off the menu, but restaurants should either be prepared to make the best on both scores or not do restaurant week at all. As it was, our food was blander than usual, the dessert lacking, and the service a bit snitty. We still like the place and consider it a hidden gem for dinner (when it tends to be much emptier than the food and price would suggest, due to location). But avoid it for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousBarbaraDined on 8/7/2014The food is consistently delicious. The waitress made great recommendations based on our cravings.Special Features:
- Good meal but very coldPapapatVIPDined on 8/6/2014Located subterranean in a beautiful building 8. 1/2 is very elegant, the food very good as was the waitstaff. But the temperature was Very cold which made the dining somewhat unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014We had an amazing meal. The wait staff was really friendly and professional. The food was outstanding. The filet mignon was better than most steak places I've been to recently, and the duck was excellent. The ambiance of the restaurant and overall experience continues to be great every time I go.Special Features:
- BoopsterVIPDined on 8/5/2014I have been dining here with a friend, who loves coming here, for about five years. We come on birthdays, restaurant week and any other occasion we can think of. Think for the price it is great.Special Features:
- IslandGirlDined on 8/2/2014We loved the fact that the restaurant was quiet enough that we had no problem hearing each other. There was space between the tables...so we felt that we had some privacy. The food was excellent!Special Features:
- REW4infoDined on 8/2/2014This is a very pleasant restaurant near upscale shopping and easy to find. We visited on Saturday for lunch at noon. One of our group was disabled and couldn't walk down stairs. we used an elevator in the building where the security guard had to give us directions. Once inside, we found bright, modern surroundings with the hallway and dining room walls decorated with beautiful Matisse cutouts and paintings. Noise levels were low, service was good, the menu was sufficiently varied and the food was excellent. We surely will return.Special Features:
- Excellent nightChristianDined on 8/1/2014Everything was perfect. I was a little bummed that it wasn't full. I wish it would've been filled with more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8 ½ is a 10food4seajayDined on 8/1/2014we love this place. food is interesting and unique without being overly precious or pretentious. staff always just the right balance between invisible and engaging. booths make it possible to have great conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheEnglishDined on 8/1/2014The food and wine were of a very high quality. My only criticism was the additional charges on the fixed menu. What is the point of a fixed menu when 2 of the items have additional charges.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous fareRavenousDined on 8/1/2014Descending a heavily worn but once plushly carpeted sweeping staircase to be welcomed by Matisse's and a wickedly long, luminous bar that guides you into the spacious restaurant, lined with leather buttoned booths and super keen and courteous wait staff, what's not to like? The restaurant week dinner menu was both generous and tasty, the wine list extensive and delectable and the only minor catch was that the wait staff were just a little too attentive for my liking, approaching the table far too often to ask if "everything is ok".
- Used to be betterDisappointedDined on 8/1/2014Food used to be better at this restaurant. The food served that evening was mediocre, it wasn't memorable and portion size is small for eg the lobster bouillabaisse was like an appetizer portion. Definitely not 4 star dining
- Quiet Oasis in Busy MidtwonPantheonDined on 7/30/2014I went to the Brasserie 8 1/2 with a few lady friends of mine. The ambience was pleasant with lots of sunshine from above. Food was authentic French and meticulously prepared. Waiting staff was excellent, too. They were always ready hovering somewhere, but never intrusive. They were visible yet invisible. What is most amazing was its quiet interior. I go to many restaurants in Midtown, and feel disturbed by the noise especially during a busy lunch hour. But Brasserie 8 1/2 was serene and pleasantly quiet. It was full of guests. Somehow tables are well arranged so that we never hear the next table. I would highly recommend this restaurant for all kinds of occasions. I can imagine a dinner with children would be nice, too.Special Features: