Brasserie 8 1/2
9 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie 8 1/2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brasserie812.com/
- Phone: (212) 829-0812
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11am-3pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French / American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our catering menu for private events incorporates our critically acclaimed classic French cuisine with a modern twist, custom-designed menus to meet your needs, and an extensive, award-winning wine list of domestic and imported bottles.
A word from Brasserie 8 1/2
Brasserie 8 ½ achieves a delicate fusion of creativity and comfort, featuring a world-class art collection, adventurous haute French cuisine and a plush atmosphere. A luscious raw bar, Latin and Asian influenced dishes, succulent meats, and a dessert selection that is a world apart, artfully complement this glamorous setting.Visit our other great restaurants by clicking on the link below.Continued
The Patina Restaurant Group
The Patina Restaurant Group
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie 8 1/2 reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)fit for foodies (87)good for groups (57)romantic (54)great for lunch (54)neighborhood gem (53)great for brunch (44)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014The decor was very nice. The bread, main course and desert were quite good. Especially the filet mignon. The soup had no trace of heat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant was a delightful find.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/23/2014The food was varied and attractively displayed. The mini bar of small desserts--so one could sample several without waste--was terrific idea. Very attractive atmosphere, with ability to talk with one another without shouting. Pleasant service, though sometimes very slow. Definitely a bargain for 5th Avenue neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I LOVE THIS RESTAURANT!JayEmmeVIPDined on 11/20/2014The surroundings are GORGEOUS, the food is EXCEPTIONAL and the service is EXCELLENT. A GREAT dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Manhatten delightsoutherngal1Dined on 11/18/2014We frequently meet out-of-town guests here for dinner...........friends with whom we want to share very good food and conversation. We love the service, the menu with something for all, the value, the ambiance, and the feeling of space and quiet..........We can actually hear each other talk! The prix fixe menu, at $38, was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown Gembignight1Dined on 11/17/2014Great location. Chic and roomy. Accommodating and friendly staff. Excellent drinks and delicious food. Met 5 friends for drinks and 3 stayed for dinner on a Monday night. Concise menu with lots of choices- we all liked the crab cakes! The prix fixe options looked great. Loved it. Will be back and have all ready recommended it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French at 9 W.57thBeachEsqVIPDined on 11/16/2014Returned to Brasserie 8-1/2. As always, the food was excellently prepared and presented. Attentive service. Interesting wine list, including an interesting selection by the glass. The atmosphere is warm, starting from the spiral staircase, from the street level to the restaurant. Looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice brunchJohnWDined on 11/16/2014I was looking for a nice place to go for Sunday brunch, and this was it. Food and selection were good. Mimosa's were very nice. It's a good choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great birthday brunchsatisfiedVIPDined on 11/16/2014Thanks to Dina for her help making by his such a special brunch for my fiance. It was so fun n enjoyable. We can't wait to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is true French restaurant!CrepesVIPDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant is conveniently located near Carnegie Hall and City Center. The french onion soup is as good as you can get in Paris. Main courses are terrific and dessert is wonderful. However, the best feature of this restaurant is that there is no banquet seating and there are free-standing tables for 2 with very adequate distances between the tables. This is a rarity in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- boothbayVIPDined on 11/14/2014With nicely spaced tables and many booths, it is a great find in an area where in many restaurants, tables are tightly spaced next to each other. We enjoyed oysters on the half shell, the scallop special, the escargot in puff pastry and the seared tuna. The escargot were almost like a pot pie in a ramekin with some carrots and potato bits. It was delicious. All the food was excellently prepared. The cheese tray for dessert was lovely with nice size portions of the selected cheeses. They also have a nice selection of wines by the glass.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/9/2014Braised short ribs as good as I make them...........outstanding. The Seafood tower fabulous. Will return. Great locationSpecial Features:
- Consistently ExcellentSteveDined on 11/8/2014The food is beautifully prepared and served. The service is attentive. The ambiance is perfect if you like a quiet place. Our out of town guests were wow'd.Special Features:
- JaneVIPDined on 11/5/2014You can be confident that you are in good hands at this very grown-up restaurant. Neither the food nor the service will disappoint, and the spacious setting allows for gracious dining.Special Features:
- Today Experience out of the normwellssbVIPDined on 11/5/2014Food was terrible; service incredibly slow. Completely unlike the usual experience here.
- Always DependableneighborVIPDined on 11/4/2014I eat at 8 1/2 regularly and enjoy it every time. I know when I bring friends there is always so meting they can eat,no matter what their diet is.The service is impeccable,and I especially appreciate the quiet…and the bonus of the Leger and the other art. I will continue to return!Special Features:
- Become a "regular"kateDined on 11/2/2014So glad we decided to go to the Sunday brunch. We had always gone during the week and chose from the menu. Brunch was excellent; so many choices, and very attentive service. Good value. I'm going to make it a regular Sunday event. The entire staff couldn't have been more pleasant. We feel the same way about the restaurant as a whole. Tables aren't on top of each other so one can have a real conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, Tasteful EleganceNickDined on 10/31/2014For a good lunch conversation, great ambiance and terrific food and service, Brasserie 8 1/2 is wonderful!Special Features:
- Absolutely lovelySherylVIPDined on 10/27/2014This restaurant is so lovely - the room is beautiful, the food is good, there are plenty of options & choices, and the service is excellent. Our waiter was patient (we were enjoying a lunch visit between old friends), kept our iced tea refilled, and made recommendations when asked. I love this spot! PS - Why did they remove dessert from the prixe fix menu??I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchJb03Dined on 10/26/2014Had a great brunch here!!! The waiting staff were very efficient and nice and the food was excellent! The restaurant itself is beautiful and an art form in and of itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceprefernotVIPDined on 10/22/2014The space here is one of its great assets, with the staircase descending... Feels like dining on the Queen Mary. Staff were welcoming.Special Features:
- My Favorite...DrJTFVIPDined on 10/19/2014spot for brunch in New York. If you want an elegant room, a magnificent buffet, and outstanding, service Brasserie 8 1/2 is the only place for brunch in New York. At the time whem so many places have given up Sunday buffets, this place maintains standards with all your favorites. Great omlettes and crepes, three carving boards, a plethora of salads, bagels and lox, fresh shrimp, paella, traditional breakfast fare, and a delicious array of desserts.Special Features:
- Food an decor right out of the '70sRoctmanVIPDined on 10/18/2014I thought this was going to be a real treat. The food was just ok. The service was nice. The place was almost empty, so very quiet.
- Just Perfect!diniVIPDined on 10/18/2014The folks at Brasserie 8 1/2 are so warm, friendly and accommodating. The ambiance is quiet and soul soothing, making it easy to have a conversation, and the food is just out of this world! Have been for both brunch and dinner and both are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantReginaDined on 10/17/2014I have dined here several times and I am never disappointed. Food was great (as always). I highly recommend to all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food far from tasty.FoodreviewDined on 10/15/2014Tough food was presented nicely it was simply not tasty at all!
- slow serviceinvrreviewDined on 10/14/2014the fish was really good, however the portion was lacking. Service was slow but we were there for a meeting so i guess that is not really too much of an issueSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Service was slow- a large bus tour group arrived when we did which was off putting; the rest of the restaurant was fairly empty. Food was salty.
- Quiet Bar and Dinner ScenerushbraDined on 10/7/2014Staff were friendly and accommodating. Food and cocktails were good. This ia a great place to have a dinner with friends, family, and business associates. The booths are spacious and conducive to socializing, but the atmosphere is subdued enough that you can hear one another talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food reasonable pricesjis010Dined on 10/7/2014Great find. Leg of lamb $29. 3 course Prix fixe $38. Excellent food attentive aerviceSpecial Features:
- Fine experience for mature guests.LionsDined on 10/6/2014We needed to dine in Midtown West, and after reading the reviews, reserved. Upon making my open table reservation, I was prompted to subscribe to the dining group's communications and in return, receive a $50.00 birthday voucher. We were celebrating my birthday, coincidentally. We went on a Monday night, and the place was pretty deserted. After reading all the amazing reviews, I was surprised it was not bustling as other local establishments near by --even on a Monday. Service was outstanding from start to finish. Our waiter extremely knowledgeable of the menu and wine list. Personable as well. Patient. Professional service without attitude. Food was very good. Bar was beautiful. A wonderful evening all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lala1dinesVIPDined on 10/3/2014Very spacious place that actually feels "lonely" with tables too far apart. There is a choice of a regular menu as well as 3 course pre-fixe which is advertised as a "restaurant week" menu available every day at affordable price ($38). My fish, Loup de Mer was so salty that I had to ask to replace it (which was done gracefully and quickly). Also available a "wine tasting" menu (set of three wines that one can choose for $23).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchChefDined on 10/2/2014Exquisitely cooked dishes. Superb without being pretentiousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as great as last timeRobinVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been here several times before and have always enjoyed it. The service was great, as usual, and the ambiance is nice- alot of room between tables so we never feel cramped and it is never too noisy. The onion soup was good as was the lobster bisque. The risotto was good as well. The pate was disappointing and so was the soinach side order. The dessert, beignets, were the hight point !Special Features:
- Quiet and deliciousJacquelineVIPDined on 9/25/2014It's hard to find a delicious, quiet restaurant where you can enjoy a conversation. But this is it!Special Features:
- Oh So Terrific!CTGALVIPDined on 9/21/2014What more could be said? The space is spacious. Gorgeous art work on the walls and the illuminated wall between the kitchen and the restaurant. Luxurious semi-round booths for comfort and privacy. Not cramped tables as some bistros where you can't carry on a conversation. And that's just the venue. The food is exquisite. French influenced, but oh so wonderful. Fresh, creative, always surprisinginly pleasing. Kudos to Chef Franck Delatrain.Special Features:
- Excellent Sunday Brunchfood4thoughtDined on 9/21/2014What a wonderful place for a Sunday brunch! The selection is wonderful and goes far beyond your typical Sunday brunch buffet. So much variety, and all very fresh, including made to order items. The service was very attentive (coffee and water refills), and most friendly. Will definitely recommend to friends and will return on our next visit. It is close to St. Patrick`s Cathedral (just a five minute walk).Special Features:
- Awesome food.ShecksopinionDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary. The food was amazing. The service was outstanding. Very clear discription of foods and wine. Clearly the server knew the menu and wine list completely!!! Will definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyableMikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014This was our second time at this restaurant and we enjoyed it as much. Once again we shared the tuna tartare appetizer which was excellent. We both had the duck breast. It was prepared perfectly. Stephen, our waiter, provided outstanding service. Our dining experience was made even better because I had a birthday coupon.Special Features:
- Satisfaction guaranteed!40yearsDined on 9/12/2014We were extremely pleased with the food and extraordinary service at this dining establishment! A true gem in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSherylVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lunch here was a real treat. The restaurant is lovely and welcoming, and the food is just delicious. Chicken paillard was excellent, and the chop-chop salad was also good. The presentation is beautiful, and service is attentive and helpful. Would absolutely recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.