Brasserie 8 1/2
9 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie 8 1/2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brasserie812.com/
- Phone: 2128290812x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11am-3pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French / American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our catering menu for private events incorporates our critically acclaimed classic French cuisine with a modern twist, custom-designed menus to meet your needs, and an extensive, award-winning wine list of domestic and imported bottles.
A word from Brasserie 8 1/2
Brasserie 8 ½ achieves a delicate fusion of creativity and comfort, featuring a world-class art collection, adventurous haute French cuisine and a plush atmosphere. A luscious raw bar, Latin and Asian influenced dishes, succulent meats, and a dessert selection that is a world apart, artfully complement this glamorous setting.Visit our other great restaurants by clicking on the link below.Continued
The Patina Restaurant Group
The Patina Restaurant Group
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie 8 1/2 reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (87)fit for foodies (80)good for groups (64)romantic (53)great for lunch (49)neighborhood gem (47)great for brunch (37)notable wine list (24)kid-friendly (11)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (6)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- My Favorite...DrJTFVIPDined on 10/19/2014spot for brunch in New York. If you want an elegant room, a magnificent buffet, and outstanding, service Brasserie 8 1/2 is the only place for brunch in New York. At the time whem so many places have given up Sunday buffets, this place maintains standards with all your favorites. Great omlettes and crepes, three carving boards, a plethora of salads, bagels and lox, fresh shrimp, paella, traditional breakfast fare, and a delicious array of desserts.Special Features:
- Just Perfect!diniVIPDined on 10/18/2014The folks at Brasserie 8 1/2 are so warm, friendly and accommodating. The ambiance is quiet and soul soothing, making it easy to have a conversation, and the food is just out of this world! Have been for both brunch and dinner and both are outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food far from tasty.FoodreviewDined on 10/15/2014Tough food was presented nicely it was simply not tasty at all!
- slow serviceinvrreviewDined on 10/14/2014the fish was really good, however the portion was lacking. Service was slow but we were there for a meeting so i guess that is not really too much of an issueSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014Service was slow- a large bus tour group arrived when we did which was off putting; the rest of the restaurant was fairly empty. Food was salty.
- Quiet Bar and Dinner ScenerushbraDined on 10/7/2014Staff were friendly and accommodating. Food and cocktails were good. This ia a great place to have a dinner with friends, family, and business associates. The booths are spacious and conducive to socializing, but the atmosphere is subdued enough that you can hear one another talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food reasonable pricesjis010Dined on 10/7/2014Great find. Leg of lamb $29. 3 course Prix fixe $38. Excellent food attentive aerviceSpecial Features:
- Fine experience for mature guests.LionsDined on 10/6/2014We needed to dine in Midtown West, and after reading the reviews, reserved. Upon making my open table reservation, I was prompted to subscribe to the dining group's communications and in return, receive a $50.00 birthday voucher. We were celebrating my birthday, coincidentally. We went on a Monday night, and the place was pretty deserted. After reading all the amazing reviews, I was surprised it was not bustling as other local establishments near by --even on a Monday. Service was outstanding from start to finish. Our waiter extremely knowledgeable of the menu and wine list. Personable as well. Patient. Professional service without attitude. Food was very good. Bar was beautiful. A wonderful evening all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lala1dinesVIPDined on 10/3/2014Very spacious place that actually feels "lonely" with tables too far apart. There is a choice of a regular menu as well as 3 course pre-fixe which is advertised as a "restaurant week" menu available every day at affordable price ($38). My fish, Loup de Mer was so salty that I had to ask to replace it (which was done gracefully and quickly). Also available a "wine tasting" menu (set of three wines that one can choose for $23).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchChefDined on 10/2/2014Exquisitely cooked dishes. Superb without being pretentiousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not as great as last timeRobinVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been here several times before and have always enjoyed it. The service was great, as usual, and the ambiance is nice- alot of room between tables so we never feel cramped and it is never too noisy. The onion soup was good as was the lobster bisque. The risotto was good as well. The pate was disappointing and so was the soinach side order. The dessert, beignets, were the hight point !Special Features:
- Quiet and deliciousJacquelineVIPDined on 9/25/2014It's hard to find a delicious, quiet restaurant where you can enjoy a conversation. But this is it!Special Features:
- Oh So Terrific!CTGALVIPDined on 9/21/2014What more could be said? The space is spacious. Gorgeous art work on the walls and the illuminated wall between the kitchen and the restaurant. Luxurious semi-round booths for comfort and privacy. Not cramped tables as some bistros where you can't carry on a conversation. And that's just the venue. The food is exquisite. French influenced, but oh so wonderful. Fresh, creative, always surprisinginly pleasing. Kudos to Chef Franck Delatrain.Special Features:
- Excellent Sunday Brunchfood4thoughtDined on 9/21/2014What a wonderful place for a Sunday brunch! The selection is wonderful and goes far beyond your typical Sunday brunch buffet. So much variety, and all very fresh, including made to order items. The service was very attentive (coffee and water refills), and most friendly. Will definitely recommend to friends and will return on our next visit. It is close to St. Patrick`s Cathedral (just a five minute walk).Special Features:
- Awesome food.ShecksopinionDined on 9/19/2014We celebrated our anniversary. The food was amazing. The service was outstanding. Very clear discription of foods and wine. Clearly the server knew the menu and wine list completely!!! Will definitely go again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyableMikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014This was our second time at this restaurant and we enjoyed it as much. Once again we shared the tuna tartare appetizer which was excellent. We both had the duck breast. It was prepared perfectly. Stephen, our waiter, provided outstanding service. Our dining experience was made even better because I had a birthday coupon.Special Features:
- Satisfaction guaranteed!40yearsDined on 9/12/2014We were extremely pleased with the food and extraordinary service at this dining establishment! A true gem in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSherylVIPDined on 9/8/2014Lunch here was a real treat. The restaurant is lovely and welcoming, and the food is just delicious. Chicken paillard was excellent, and the chop-chop salad was also good. The presentation is beautiful, and service is attentive and helpful. Would absolutely recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceGourmandDined on 9/7/2014We had a wonderful dinner. The service was excellent, the food outstanding, and the entire experience what you hope for in a restaurant on a special occasion. It was a Sunday night, so not crowded, but we found it consistently exceeded our expectations. We were taking out of town foodies to the restaurant so were particularly pleased at how impressed they were with the food. We definitely recommend and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb food, peaceful ambiencedehillerinVIPDined on 9/4/2014Had a birthday dinner and great conversation (in conversational tones). No raised voices to compete with others. Plenty of diners, but well designed to keep the noise down. I think the food tastes better that way. PS One of the best creme brulees you'll find.
- A restaurant where you can converseRichard45VIPDined on 9/3/2014The food is always creatively prepared, the service is attentive and the room is lovely. The noise level is moderate, and it is possible to hold a conversation, especially in one of the generously sized booths.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible EleganceElsasolseatsVIPDined on 8/27/2014Beautifully presented, delicious cuisine, professionally served in an elegant, expansive setting -- at fair price. A fine offspring of Patina, formerly ad memorably in West Hollywood.Special Features:
- Overpriced and not deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014I don't recommend this at all. Anything you order comes in a very small quantity. Moreover, it's not delicious. But the cost is almost 2-3 times as high as if you order in another high scaled restaurant. I don't recommend it at all.
- PhiWDined on 8/18/2014Never fails to please. Fine dining and outstanding ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our yearly visitjojoDined on 8/17/2014For the last 5 years we have gone to brunch here at Brasserie 8 1/2 on our anniversary weekend. Always super nice staff, delicious meal and great ambiance. It has never let us down. Will be there next year, God willing.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great place, service and food excellent. Delicious lobster bisque that came with fresh lobster meat. It is a great place for any occasion. Nice bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for conversationMAOSDined on 8/15/2014For NYC this was very economical without compromising location or quality. It had added plus of being able to have conversation with your friends. Service was very nice with a friendly and helpful waiter. My husband is a meat and potatoes type eater and our friend and I like healthy, fresh and creative food. We were all very happy with our selections.Special Features:
- Nice SpotStacyMelindaDined on 8/15/2014My two friends and I went for restaraunt week summer 2014. We wanted to try a cuisine that was new to us. Some of the things on the menu were strange so we stuck to what we new...which is kind of contradictory actually..never the less, it was delish. Our waiter was very nice. The food was interesting. I really have no complaints. We were the only ones in the place at the time. Except for maybe one or two other parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My all time favoriteneighborVIPDined on 8/15/2014No matter what the occasion,this is a wonderful place for everyone,especially a senior who doesn't like noise…Younger diners like the Bar..the etchings and painting and lever are beautiful….The food is always good.Special Features:
- Love it!JoeLeeDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant occupies a rather big area and the lighting is dim, but the servers are all extremely friendly and easy to get along with, especially a waiter by the name of Norman. The filet mignon was exquisite and cooked to perfection, and the chocolate dessert was fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant week lunchLovelyDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriend and I went to Brasserie 81/2 for the restaurant week lunch. We were called the morning of to confirm our reservation. We arrived exactly on time and our table set for two at a large booth was waiting for us. The entrance down to the dinning area and lounge was spectacular. It reminded me of the elegance of the 1930's Hollywood. Very bright and airy. We ordered drinks and given time to select our appetizers, entrees and dessert. We ordered the tomatoes medley salad, duck patte, grilled chicken with fried zucchini flower and the steak with mushroom sauce. All DELICIOUS!!!! Very beautifully presented and a nice sized portion. The desserts were cherry Black Forest cake and mousse and peach tart with vanilla ice cream. Loved it.Special Features:
- The place to have a good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food is good and service is very good. We loved the steak and duck breast. The bread is cold, may need to warm them a little. Overall, this is a place for a good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VibeMonicaDined on 8/13/2014Brasserie 8 1/2 was a great find from reading up about NYC restaurant week. The service was truly outstanding, and the food was of a high standard. The dishes were well thought out and looked great. My lobster was incredibly fresh. The space is big but with enough private nooks and crannies for those who want privacy. Also the decor is very quirky, it has a 1960's feel about it featuring a truly magnificent bar and a wonderful grand sweeping staircase. All in all we were very pleased to have chosen Brasserie 8 1/2 to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable servicealexisnyDined on 8/13/2014the food was delicious, escargot was havenly and filet mignon was perfect! we were a little pressed with the time and our waiter made sure the food arrived on time making our unfortunately short stay very pleasantSpecial Features:
- SherylVIPDined on 8/13/2014Step down the spiral stairs and you are transported. The dining room is lovely, and the RW lunch was outstanding. Pate was tasty; others enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad. Trout was delicious! One diner had the cobb salad which came creatively and beautifully presented. Cherry dessert was crazy good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCFoodie1Dined on 8/13/2014The lobster salad was all lobster and no salad. It would have been better with more greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrjsyreefDined on 8/12/2014A spacious, modern upscale French restaurant that reminds me of MOMA. A great ambiance for a special occasion. The wait staff are gracious and courteous. I was impressed with the thoughtful food presentation and skilled demonstration of technique.Special Features:
- Experience was good.MaurDined on 8/11/2014The Brasserie 8 1/2 is an attractive restaurant with a popular bar. Very modern and a little on the noisy side. Food was good but portions were sparse. Service was good. It was a nice experience, but I don't think I'll be rushing back anytime soon. I would, however, consider going for drinks.Special Features:
- My reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The place is great for any type of the occasions. Friendly and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014It was just ok. The omelet was ok nothing special.