Brasserie 8 1/2
9 West 57th St.
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Brasserie 8 1/2
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brasserie812.com/
- Phone: 2128290812x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Sunday Brunch 11am-3pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary French / American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our catering menu for private events incorporates our critically acclaimed classic French cuisine with a modern twist, custom-designed menus to meet your needs, and an extensive, award-winning wine list of domestic and imported bottles.
A word from Brasserie 8 1/2
Brasserie 8 ½ achieves a delicate fusion of creativity and comfort, featuring a world-class art collection, adventurous haute French cuisine and a plush atmosphere. A luscious raw bar, Latin and Asian influenced dishes, succulent meats, and a dessert selection that is a world apart, artfully complement this glamorous setting.Visit our other great restaurants by clicking on the link below.Continued
The Patina Restaurant Group
The Patina Restaurant Group
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie 8 1/2 reviews from OpenTable diners
198 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)fit for foodies (72)good for groups (59)romantic (56)great for lunch (50)great for brunch (48)neighborhood gem (41)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (6)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- PhiWDined on 8/18/2014Never fails to please. Fine dining and outstanding ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our yearly visitjojoDined on 8/17/2014For the last 5 years we have gone to brunch here at Brasserie 8 1/2 on our anniversary weekend. Always super nice staff, delicious meal and great ambiance. It has never let us down. Will be there next year, God willing.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great place, service and food excellent. Delicious lobster bisque that came with fresh lobster meat. It is a great place for any occasion. Nice bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice SpotStacyMelindaDined on 8/15/2014My two friends and I went for restaraunt week summer 2014. We wanted to try a cuisine that was new to us. Some of the things on the menu were strange so we stuck to what we new...which is kind of contradictory actually..never the less, it was delish. Our waiter was very nice. The food was interesting. I really have no complaints. We were the only ones in the place at the time. Except for maybe one or two other parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My all time favoriteneighborVIPDined on 8/15/2014No matter what the occasion,this is a wonderful place for everyone,especially a senior who doesn't like noise…Younger diners like the Bar..the etchings and painting and lever are beautiful….The food is always good.Special Features:
- Love it!JoeLeeDined on 8/14/2014The restaurant occupies a rather big area and the lighting is dim, but the servers are all extremely friendly and easy to get along with, especially a waiter by the name of Norman. The filet mignon was exquisite and cooked to perfection, and the chocolate dessert was fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant week lunchLovelyDined on 8/14/2014My girlfriend and I went to Brasserie 81/2 for the restaurant week lunch. We were called the morning of to confirm our reservation. We arrived exactly on time and our table set for two at a large booth was waiting for us. The entrance down to the dinning area and lounge was spectacular. It reminded me of the elegance of the 1930's Hollywood. Very bright and airy. We ordered drinks and given time to select our appetizers, entrees and dessert. We ordered the tomatoes medley salad, duck patte, grilled chicken with fried zucchini flower and the steak with mushroom sauce. All DELICIOUS!!!! Very beautifully presented and a nice sized portion. The desserts were cherry Black Forest cake and mousse and peach tart with vanilla ice cream. Loved it.Special Features:
- The place to have a good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food is good and service is very good. We loved the steak and duck breast. The bread is cold, may need to warm them a little. Overall, this is a place for a good dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great VibeMonicaDined on 8/13/2014Brasserie 8 1/2 was a great find from reading up about NYC restaurant week. The service was truly outstanding, and the food was of a high standard. The dishes were well thought out and looked great. My lobster was incredibly fresh. The space is big but with enough private nooks and crannies for those who want privacy. Also the decor is very quirky, it has a 1960's feel about it featuring a truly magnificent bar and a wonderful grand sweeping staircase. All in all we were very pleased to have chosen Brasserie 8 1/2 to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impeccable servicealexisnyDined on 8/13/2014the food was delicious, escargot was havenly and filet mignon was perfect! we were a little pressed with the time and our waiter made sure the food arrived on time making our unfortunately short stay very pleasantSpecial Features:
- SherylVIPDined on 8/13/2014Step down the spiral stairs and you are transported. The dining room is lovely, and the RW lunch was outstanding. Pate was tasty; others enjoyed the heirloom tomato salad. Trout was delicious! One diner had the cobb salad which came creatively and beautifully presented. Cherry dessert was crazy good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCFoodie1Dined on 8/13/2014The lobster salad was all lobster and no salad. It would have been better with more greens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrjsyreefDined on 8/12/2014A spacious, modern upscale French restaurant that reminds me of MOMA. A great ambiance for a special occasion. The wait staff are gracious and courteous. I was impressed with the thoughtful food presentation and skilled demonstration of technique.Special Features:
- Experience was good.MaurDined on 8/11/2014The Brasserie 8 1/2 is an attractive restaurant with a popular bar. Very modern and a little on the noisy side. Food was good but portions were sparse. Service was good. It was a nice experience, but I don't think I'll be rushing back anytime soon. I would, however, consider going for drinks.Special Features:
- My reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014The place is great for any type of the occasions. Friendly and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014It was just ok. The omelet was ok nothing special.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014Great place with excellent food choices.Tried the Long Island duck breast with Sauvignon Blanc -> exquisite.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureRDawaltDined on 8/8/2014We have eaten here regularly over the past years. We use the restaurants for celebrations, sometimes just for a quiet place for dinner, and sometimes because we can get a last minute reservation. We have always had a good meal in a lovely setting. This past week we were two needing a place for conversation and good food. Both of us had superb fish dishes. The appetizer wasn't as wonderful and the desert not worth ordering. The Martinis were well made and the service a little to relaxed but still appropriate. Go for the totality of the package and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Disappointing during restaurant wkBartonKeyesVIPDined on 8/8/2014We've very much enjoyed eating here before, for both dinner and scrumptious brunches, but coming during restaurant week we were a little disappointed by both the food and the service. I understand that reduced-price three-course menus are bound to be a little mass-produced and that servers would prefer the tips that come with ordering off the menu, but restaurants should either be prepared to make the best on both scores or not do restaurant week at all. As it was, our food was blander than usual, the dessert lacking, and the service a bit snitty. We still like the place and consider it a hidden gem for dinner (when it tends to be much emptier than the food and price would suggest, due to location). But avoid it for restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousBarbaraDined on 8/7/2014The food is consistently delicious. The waitress made great recommendations based on our cravings.Special Features:
- Good meal but very coldPapapatVIPDined on 8/6/2014Located subterranean in a beautiful building 8. 1/2 is very elegant, the food very good as was the waitstaff. But the temperature was Very cold which made the dining somewhat unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014We had an amazing meal. The wait staff was really friendly and professional. The food was outstanding. The filet mignon was better than most steak places I've been to recently, and the duck was excellent. The ambiance of the restaurant and overall experience continues to be great every time I go.Special Features:
- BoopsterVIPDined on 8/5/2014I have been dining here with a friend, who loves coming here, for about five years. We come on birthdays, restaurant week and any other occasion we can think of. Think for the price it is great.Special Features:
- IslandGirlDined on 8/2/2014We loved the fact that the restaurant was quiet enough that we had no problem hearing each other. There was space between the tables...so we felt that we had some privacy. The food was excellent!Special Features:
- REW4infoDined on 8/2/2014This is a very pleasant restaurant near upscale shopping and easy to find. We visited on Saturday for lunch at noon. One of our group was disabled and couldn't walk down stairs. we used an elevator in the building where the security guard had to give us directions. Once inside, we found bright, modern surroundings with the hallway and dining room walls decorated with beautiful Matisse cutouts and paintings. Noise levels were low, service was good, the menu was sufficiently varied and the food was excellent. We surely will return.Special Features:
- Excellent nightChristianDined on 8/1/2014Everything was perfect. I was a little bummed that it wasn't full. I wish it would've been filled with more people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8 ½ is a 10food4seajayDined on 8/1/2014we love this place. food is interesting and unique without being overly precious or pretentious. staff always just the right balance between invisible and engaging. booths make it possible to have great conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheEnglishDined on 8/1/2014The food and wine were of a very high quality. My only criticism was the additional charges on the fixed menu. What is the point of a fixed menu when 2 of the items have additional charges.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous fareRavenousDined on 8/1/2014Descending a heavily worn but once plushly carpeted sweeping staircase to be welcomed by Matisse's and a wickedly long, luminous bar that guides you into the spacious restaurant, lined with leather buttoned booths and super keen and courteous wait staff, what's not to like? The restaurant week dinner menu was both generous and tasty, the wine list extensive and delectable and the only minor catch was that the wait staff were just a little too attentive for my liking, approaching the table far too often to ask if "everything is ok".
- Used to be betterDisappointedDined on 8/1/2014Food used to be better at this restaurant. The food served that evening was mediocre, it wasn't memorable and portion size is small for eg the lobster bouillabaisse was like an appetizer portion. Definitely not 4 star dining
- Quiet Oasis in Busy MidtwonPantheonDined on 7/30/2014I went to the Brasserie 8 1/2 with a few lady friends of mine. The ambience was pleasant with lots of sunshine from above. Food was authentic French and meticulously prepared. Waiting staff was excellent, too. They were always ready hovering somewhere, but never intrusive. They were visible yet invisible. What is most amazing was its quiet interior. I go to many restaurants in Midtown, and feel disturbed by the noise especially during a busy lunch hour. But Brasserie 8 1/2 was serene and pleasantly quiet. It was full of guests. Somehow tables are well arranged so that we never hear the next table. I would highly recommend this restaurant for all kinds of occasions. I can imagine a dinner with children would be nice, too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014after visiting a local photo gallery, we enjoyed a leisurely lunch and would highly recommend the resturant.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceHappyDined on 7/30/2014Took advantage of Restaurant Week specials. Do not normally frequent restaurants of this caliber but would certainly return for a special occasion. Meal, service, ambiance could not have been better.Special Features:
- Great ExperiencePBRYummyTummy161Dined on 7/30/2014West there for lunch before a matinee performance. I informed the hostess who immediately informed the wait staff. The service was courteous, efficient, pleasant, and prompt so we made the curtain time. We loved the food. I had the tomato heirloom salad and the trout. My lunch companion had the Asian salad. We were both very happy with our choices, I will be definitely be going bacl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/28/2014Works of art worthy of a museum, hang in this truly beautiful restaurant. Tables are spaced far enough apart to allow for conversation. Great food (best duck breast I've had in years) and lovely service. What more could anyone want.Special Features:
- Brasserie 8 1/2OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Restaurant week gave us an excellent opportunity to sample this lovely brasserie on 57th street. The portions were more than adequate and all the food was well prepared and served beautifully. We will be back.Special Features:
- AwesomedoUluvsteakNseafoodDined on 7/27/2014I've been to so many buffet style restaurants. What makes Brasserie 8 1/2 so good for brunch and a stellar buffet setting is they have structured the food in miniature or reduced portions so that you actually can eat a smattering of all the dishes without over-eating and feeling bloated. The desserts are worth the entire trip.Special Features:
- DeliciousirishamerigalVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was delicious, great menu, staff was very friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbaraVIPDined on 7/26/2014We love the ambiance, which allows for normal conversation. The food is not quite up to what it used to be (especially the fish that I've had recently) but it's still one of our favorite places.Special Features:
- BlescaDined on 7/25/2014Although the patrons were chatting and the noise level somewhat elevated, I was sitting at a booth which dampened the din of the rest of the tables. So if you go with a group you can feel free to talk and have a great time while at the same time couples can have a more private meal at a booth while still in the same space. Our waiter was terrific, and helped recommend a wine for my daughter and was very attentive in general. Good food. Will definitely return.Special Features: