Oregano Bar & Bistro
3524 Johnson Ave.
Bronx, NY 10463Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Oregano Bar & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 3478438393
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Monday - Wednesday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, French
- Executive Chef: Claude Alain Solliard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Oregano bar & Bistro is available for private events on-premise and for catering off-site functions. Executive Chef Claude Alain Solliard will tap his extensive expertise with a broad range of cuisines to create menus to enhance any theme.
- Private Party Facilities: The "Oregano Jardin" is a the restaurant's private dining and event space. Located in the rear of the restaurant, it includes seating for 45 guest. Indoor trees, skylight and a waterfall tastefully adorn the space.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Parker 3478438393
A word from Oregano Bar & Bistro
Oregano Bar & Bistro presents two popular cuisine traditions – French and Iberian, the latter named after the peninsula which encompasses Spain and Portugal. They have much in coimmon, but seldom share the same menu. Ours is a coupling of French and Iberian culinary customs, including house made breads and house cured meats, which respects the integrity of each, while occasionally cross referencing an ingredient or technique to marry the two in gastronomic harmony – for instance the duck in Oregano Bar & Bistro's signature paella. Whether French, Spanish or Portuguese, or a marriage between them, our food is presented in an ambiance that embodies the welcoming neighborhood bistro culture of all three cuisines and complemented a carefully curated selection of fine international spirits, wines and beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Oregano Bar & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nice Riverdale bistoLocaldinerDined on 5/31/2013Franco Iberian bistro. Somewhat limited menu. But. Good place to drink and eat at a leisurely pace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little bit o Manhattan in RiverdaleriverdalesqrDined on 5/20/2013My wife and I went on a quite Monday night when there were very few other patrons. The service was attentive and friendly, the food was delicious -- I ordered the duck and my wife ordered the lamb chops -- and I just love the ambiance. There is a TV over the bar which is contiguous to the main dining room. We moved seats soas not to see it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They can't get it rightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013I've been here several times with the same outcome, good food, horrible service. This last visit took the cake though. Every table around us had an issue, not just us - I've never seen such dysfunction in my entire life. The waitstaff is poorly trained but in the end, poor management is to blame. If these owners value their reputation, they will fix this problem very quickly. The food is very good, they would have a gem on their hands with some good leadership.
- UnderwhelmingbrunchDined on 5/12/2013The decor is lovely and the food was fine, but overall brunch at Oregano was underwhelming. The staff was friendly but clueless. We arrived at 11:00 for brunch and it seemed as if they woke up at 10:59. We had a similarly lukewarm experience at dinner a few months ago. I'd return for cocktails and appetizers but not dinner or brunch.
- Great Fusion in RiverdaleLM14Dined on 5/2/2013Love this place - have been there many times now and never disappointed! The lobster bisque alone is worth a visit; but every dish is great.Special Features:
- This is a pleasant enoughmnbnycVIPDined on 4/13/2013This is a pleasant enough spot in the neighborhood. The restaurant was strangely quiet for a Saturday evening at peak time. We were a little disappointed that on the Saturday evening we were there that at 8 p.m. the kitchen had run out of a number of the ingredients of dishes on the menu. The staff were pleasant and helpful if a little slow in service. The menu is French bistro-type and the meal we had was good. Prices are very reasonable. There is a concise wine list.
- A nice experienceRaulVIPDined on 3/31/2013Oregano is a great option for quality food in our neighborhood. From the food to the ambiance and the service, everything contributed to a great experience.Special Features:
- I would have given them 5OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/10/2013I would have given them 5 stars, but the all-you-can-drink mimosas for $10 were very weak. Seemed to be more orange juice with a splash of champagne.Special Features:
- Amazing Food but Poor ServiceJulesDined on 2/14/2013My boyfriend and I have been here a few times. The food is delicious and you can't go wrong with any selection; the same goes for the wine. Its a very pretty neighborhood restaurant. However service could be terrible depending on the night. They might be short-staffed with many tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very slow and poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/26/2013Very slow and poor service. Staff seemed to be poorly trained. Lamb burger was served luke warm and not cooked to medium-rare as requested (i.e. overcooked and rather dry).
- French?!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/9/2013Escargot served over kidney beans?! Not quite French in my opinion. The food is tasty, but not conforming to its intended culinary specialty.
- Meal was great, but had toOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2012Meal was great, but had to wait 40 minutes for the server. Must have been an off night, because I haven't had that experience at Oregano before.Special Features:
- Saved the day.gonzaluDined on 12/31/2012Wonderful Pre-Fixe New Year's Eve dinner... we had been away on vacation the week of Christmas and did not plan anything for New Year's Eve.Special Features:
- I have been there a handfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012I have been there a handful of times and I have always been pleased. This time I had the lamb burger and it was very tasty. The chef always comes out to the table and I love that. It has become my favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Not bad but, frankly, toobarbDined on 12/23/2012Not bad but, frankly, too expensive for Riverdale.
- Food and service were great,JoanneDined on 12/9/2012Food and service were great, a very different type of menu, really diverse but I think there is something for everyone as prices vary too. We ordered two appetizers, salad and entrees. All were delicious! Will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Riverdale gemCoppertopVIPDined on 12/8/2012For Riverdale, it's an amazing contribution to the neighborhood, I just hope they can last. The weekday crowd might be younger/hipper, but the Saturday night crowd this week was older though appreciative. Good menu, but it's ambitious to have that much of a range. It would be better to make it smaller and more perfectly executed. Duck medium rare was medium, and skin not crisped enough. Vegetables were all perfect and crown roast of lamb very good.Special Features:
- 3rd time not the charmOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/2/2012This visit to Oregano was our third and kind of disappointing. The food was good but not great-too much salt in my dishes caldo gallego and roast chicken. Each time we've gone I've been a little less delighted. Too bad.
- Lovely ambience although aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/25/2012Lovely ambience although a little noisy. Nice to have a French/Iberian restaurant up in Riverdale. Prices reasonable, presentation of plates attractive.Special Features:
- I had the lobster and filetOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/16/2012I had the lobster and filet mignon, I didn;t care for the taste of the meat, not sure if it was the seasoning or the meat not being very fresh and my lobster, it was 1/2 lobster and for cleaning purposes,the tomalley or green stuff from the lobster, should not have been visible on tail meat and it was so that was disppointing; the lobster was ok, not great, as in very fresh tasting. My dinner companin had the duck and lved it, it was very tasty.
- Awful food, out of items (e.g.,rmatDined on 11/11/2012Awful food, out of items (e.g., oysters - and that's one of their selling points - we were told that there was a party a couple of days before and had had them all) service -- horrible. Will not be returning. I got my entree 45 minutes after my dining companion got hers (the food was DEFNINTELY not worth it), just a miserable experience all round.
- Too loud for easy conversation.SurafaigaDined on 11/10/2012Too loud for easy conversation. Music background was "thump, thump" and seemed like there were two or more channels playing at once. We all enjoyed our food but several dishes were scanty - main course is not enough for a meal. In order to fill up, it would be quite costly. Recommend for the prices charged that the quantity of food be increased on the entree. Also choices were rather limited. Recommend expanding menu - at least one vegetarian dish, please. Waitress was lovely, knowlegable and very professional. We live in Riverdale and are happy to have a place like Oregano for those special evenings or brunches.Special Features:
- The best thing to happen to1shortguyDined on 11/1/2012The best thing to happen to Johnson Avenue in the 40 yrs I've been in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Sinced this is a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2012Sinced this is a neighborhood restaurant, my friends and I eat here many times. I do not need to write a review every time. Helene LevineSpecial Features:
- We had read reviews that theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2012We had read reviews that the service wasn't great, so perhaps the restaurant has been paying attn - no complaints here! Our waiter was attentive. The food was innovative and decadent, though as a foodie, I think the flavors need to be polished a bit. My shell steak dish was tasty; however, there was just too much pepper in the sauce (otherwise the chef would have nailed it). The goat cheese appetizer - good portion, flavorful cheese, but again, accompaniments could have been more harmonious with one another. My husband raved about his duck dish. I didn't try it since I don't eat duck, but I agreed that the sweet potatoes side was amazing! Worth trying again. Intrigued by the brunch.Special Features:
- Unfortunately our waiter hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2012Unfortunately our waiter had a hard day (as reported by him) and it affected his service and our experience.Special Features:
- overall excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2012The service was very slow.we were seated quickly and given menues but after 10 minutes of no one appearing at our table I made eye contact with a young man providing service. He came to our table and said he wasn't assigned our table but would take care of us. Andrew then provided excellent service. We did see a young woman later but she never approached our table. Now for the food - excellent! We had the lobster bisque. Presentation was beautiful and it was delicious. We had an entree of peppercorn shell steak - gravy was great and it came with seasoned firs. I never order fries but if they were all like these I'm a convert. My husband coudn't keep his hands away from my plate. His entree was salmon. It was the best he ever had.Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/6/2012This was our first time at Oregano. We started with the beet salad and the pâté, both of which were quite good. The entrees were even better; the red snapper and the paella maison were excellent and the rack of lamb was to die for. My wife thought that they had given her the rack of lamb for two because the portion was so huge. For dessert we all shared the baba rum cake with vanilla ice cream and it was delicious. The only negative was the noise level which was loud but not so loud that it inhibited conversation. Overall, a great meal; we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- JUST OK!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2012Third time at this restaurant, and it still didn't live up to expectations. Food was just OK- nothing special. Waitress didn't know about the wines. Service was just OK- it was empty and the waitress would disappear for 20 minutes. I would hate to be there when it is crowed.
- Love IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012My Boyfriend and I LOVE our visits to Oregano. Ever since this neighborhood gem came to the area, we've eaten there at least 10 times. Whether you're interested in a weekend Brunch or a romantic weekend dinner, this is a place where you will not only enjoy, but your company will be impressed. And the best part, its in Riverdale, on a sweet main road of the town, where you can stroll to work off your meal.Special Features:
- Downtown comes across the bridge!TheLiterateChefDined on 9/27/2012Opened only 4 months, Oregano is a bright spot in Riverdale dining. Downtown comes uptown and across the bridge! Thank you Chef Claude, for coming to Riverdale and providing the residents with a much needed alternative to the usual collection of Asian resaturants, take-out joints and boring old standbys!Special Features:
- Can't wait to go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/21/2012Pleasantly surprised. Great depth of flavor. The haricot vert green beans are to die for - better than french fries. Would love to sample everything on the menu.Special Features:
- Service is slow but I knewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2012Service is slow but I knew this going into the experience. They were really accomodating because one member of my party wanted to order from the lunch menu and they were only serving brunch but they accomodated the order. The food was really good and the fries were delicious. I will be returning to try out their dinner menu.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/14/2012We had a wonderful dining experience. Everyone in our party of five enjoyed the whole evening. The food is outstanding but a little pricey for a neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- visit number five (5) in pastOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/12/2012visit number five (5) in past two months (we live just one block away): food barely OK, portions too light on the protein; service getting slower and slower, and more disconnected from the clients -- this place has to pick itself up, or it will disappear too soon!!
- goof food; good service butOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/3/2012goof food; good service but slow; rather noisy; otherwise worth going to.Special Features:
- Getting there!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/31/2012After four visits since its recent opening, we are able to say that much progress has been made in the kitchen and in the "front of the house" as well. All of the food was well prepared and the menu is appropriate and inviting. The classic soup caldo Gallego was a total disappointment, however, since it was nothing more than an average minestrone!! The wine, served in beautiful, bulbous classes only filled one third of the glass, and should be a more ample portion. Each and every one of the service people was individually polite, friendly and well-presented -- but they spent far too much time socializing, and not enough attention was paid to the tables (e.g., before dinner drinks were not served until after the appetizers were finished)Special Features:
- I almost do not want the wordOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2012I almost do not want the word to get out about this place. We have already been here at least 6-7 times. They do a Latin Jazz Tuesday every week that is tough to say "no" to after going once. The food is top notch, I do not eat much seafood at all but everyone else says it is great. We went most recently for brunch on Sunday, where they had a harpist and bongo playing in the front of the house which was nice. Again the food was way above average but, for us, a little pricey for brunch (50.00! for 2) they could use a prixe fixe option. My only negative would be the staff, they try really hard but you can tell their training is lacking polish. Try it on a night when they have live music.Special Features:
- Very good place, just a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/5/2012Very good place, just a bit sad the environment and at the beginning we were a bit press on time by the waiter, it was late, but we arrived about 10 minutes ahead. However, then she was excellent.
- A fun Bistro in Riverdale; OREGANO!SantidinesDined on 7/31/2012Oregano is a delightful find for this part of the Riverdale community. The decor is charming the food surpisingly good (well the chef is Suisse), and the service is very, very good. I asked my waitress if they were trained and she said "oh, yes he (meanign the chef), trains us- and it shows! All in all a great place! Salsa music on Tuesdays nights in the summer, while loud is SUPER!Special Features: