Brandy Ho's Hunan Food
217 Columbus Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Brandy Ho's Hunan Food
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brandyhos.com/
- Phone: 4157887527
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday: 3:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Zedgwick Ho
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Delivery is available 11am - 10pm everyday to neighborhood offices, hotel rooms or homes. Please check the menu at www.brandyhos.com. Minimum $10 order for delivery. Catering is also available from 1 to 300 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: The upper floor is available for private parties and it can accommodate up to 70 guests.
A word from Brandy Ho's Hunan Food
Serving San Francisco since 1980, Brandy Ho's restaurant is one of the most popular landmarks on the San Francisco dining scene. Acclaimed by numerous Bay Area food critics, it has also been hailed by publications around the world as a "must visit" when in San Francisco. The food at Brandy Ho's is prepared with only the freshest ingredients, using a minimum of oil and sugar. Absolutely no MSG, artificial chemicals or flavor enhancers are used. The cooking at Brandy Ho's is based on the peasant style found in the Hunan region of China. The distinctive dishes are authentically hot and spicy, using traditional Hunan spices and lots of garlic. Brandy Ho's offers a wide selection of tasty hot and spicy vegetarian dishes. To please every palate, any meat or vegetarian dish can be ordered as mild as you like, or not hot at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brandy Ho's Hunan Food reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance2.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Good food and no MSGAprilGVIPDined on 8/22/2014We went for lunch after reading some good reviews on Yelp and Open Table. Liked the no msg. We had the potstickers ( good), walnut shrimp (too mayonesy), fried rice (good but rice a little al dente), and chow mein (delicious).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food better than service.SpiderrollerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Took recommendation from friend to visit this place. Food was definitely good. Service was like most in San Fran - the "no smiles, here is your food, hurry and leave" attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Brandy Ho's Hunan Food reviews archive.
- Good but not excellentCosta3Dined on 8/21/2013I was expecting a bit more. The smoked duck was ok as an idea and performance, the steamed fish was finished and we tried the fried fish, which was a disappointment (dry, overcooked). The chow mein was very good, especially the cold one. The pork was very good. The deserts were all american... In a summary, dont order the fried whole fish, then perhaps everything might be much better overall!Special Features:
- We were stuffed!caseyfaceDined on 8/9/2013Great Hunan food in a bistro-style atmosphere. Not fancy but pleasant, helpful staff and great country-style food. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mediocre Hunan placeyelcabDined on 7/20/2013This restaurant has a great menu with some notable missing gems from Hunan. I was looking for certain dishes that I have eaten from mainland China and could not find them. The level of spiciness is good, but the level of tastiness is mediocre. For a walk by drop in restaurant, it is great. As a long time eater of spicy Hunan food, Brandy Ho's is just averageSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!melpedeVIPDined on 7/15/2013Fresh, flavorful food - spicy, so ask for medium if you don't want hot. Fast service - really yummy!Special Features:
- This is the "real deal" forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2013This is the "real deal" for genuine, wonderfully flavored Chinese food. Excellent menu selection, freshly prepared in woks using age old recipes. This isn't the mainstream tourist trap stop for heat lamp, lukewarm food. Brandy Ho's quickly became our favorite Chinese food restaurant in The City by the Bay.Special Features:
- Spicy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2013Enjoyed the old country scallops and curried shrimp, which at medium, was quite spicy.Special Features:
- Brandy Ho's has been a greatYosutebitoDined on 6/19/2013Brandy Ho's has been a great Chinese Food restaurant for years. I have ordered delivery and eaten in the restaurant and I have always had excellent food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected find.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2013Late night excursion with a large group of culinary students delighted by the food at Brandy Ho's Hunan Food. the Sizzling Seafood rice Soup was fantastic. Everyone enjoyed the entire meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I always look forward to myRodFDined on 4/18/2013I always look forward to my visit to Brandy Ho's. My spicy beef entree was very flavorful and fresh. Be careful with the level of spicy that you order. Their "mild" is still fairly spicy. I always leave with sweat on my brow - and love it!Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious. OurOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Absolutely delicious. Our server recognized us from when we had gone a month before. Very nice service, relaxed and dedicated to making your dining experience an enjoyable one.Special Features:
- Traditional Chinese Food,BGOODined on 12/28/2012Traditional Chinese Food, nothing special. Good service and the food comes very quickly.
- As one who loves Hunan food,xanadanDined on 12/26/2012As one who loves Hunan food, I was very disappointed at their "spiciest the chef can make it" to be a few more red pepper flakes. Also, we were only a party of 4, yet everyone's food came out at amazingly different times. It was ridiculous the serving times between everyone's entrees. The food was, however, very reasonably priced. You just pay for it in staggered table delivery. I will not be eating here again. Henry's Hunan in the FiDi is hands down the best in the City.
- The biggest problem is thatOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/25/2012The biggest problem is that the restaurant will happily take a reservation without actually making one. We waited for about 40 minutes and everyone waiting had a "reservation", which really doesn't mean anything. Food was pretty good though.
- Good spicey food for a cold night!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/25/2012This was one of the few restaurants open on Christmas night. There was a long line of people waiting to get a table. The crowd was handled in a fair and orderly way, giving preference to reservations. The food was wonderfully authentic. When they offered very spicey, they meant it!Special Features:
- Best Chinese food in USA.scottahansenVIPDined on 11/9/2012Best Chinese food in USA. The General's chicken is outstanding.Special Features:
- Spicy but not deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/22/2012My wife, who is from Hunan Province, says, "they make everything spicy so they say it is Hunan but it is not delicious like in Hunan." Both the waitress and the chef spoke Cantonese - which is not spoken in Hunan Province. That should be a pretty good indicator of authenticity right there.
- We went to Brandy Ho's forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2012We went to Brandy Ho's for dinner two of the three nights of our honeymoon in San Francisco-and we wish we had gone there all three nights! The food was wonderful, full of flavor and promptly served. We especially enjoyed the dish Brandy's Dinner, but really everything we tried was great. Wish we could take this restaurant back home with us.Special Features:
- Hit and MissOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2012The egg rolls and especially the Chef's Recommended Fried Dumplings with Sweet and Sour Sauce were delicious. The Chow Mein tasted slightly burnt. Also, the steamed dumplings were not very tasty but that could have been because my daughter wanted them without the hot and spicy sauce.Special Features:
- We were greeted with a smileScrumptiousDined on 7/21/2012We were greeted with a smile at the door and seated immediately. Our server made sure that our food came out promptly, hot and correct. We have had fried dumplings before, but these were really good. They were crispy and tossed in their sauce. There was a choice of ginger soy or sweet and sour. Different levels of "heat" were available on their dishes. I would definitely return and recommend Brandy Ho's Hunan.Special Features:
- Best Chinese food ever atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/13/2012Best Chinese food ever at reasonable prices. They will make it to your liking when it comes to heat intensity.Special Features:
- Staff were unhelpful and unaccommodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2012Staff were unhelpful and unaccommodating when asked about vegetarian options. . Whole experience felt rushed. Would not return or recommend.
- Great Hunan in San FranWeekDined on 6/8/2012Wow, the best Chinese food in San Francisco! You can't find Hunan style everywhere, so its a very special experience with unique flavors and preparations.Special Features:
- It was Ok, Probably wouldTex58Dined on 4/15/2012It was Ok, Probably would try somewhere else before going back
- When I lived in SF I wentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/31/2012When I lived in SF I went there all the time, since then the food and service have gone down hill. I wouldn't recommend it again.
- not so greatDeliciousVIPDined on 2/11/2012Food was tasteless. We had the chicken salad which was frozen grainy chicken and very tasteless, potstickers w/sweet and sour sauce these were Ok, smoked duck tasteless, chicken chowmein and salt and pepper calamari (this was good). Went on Chinese New Years and needed a place that took reservations, so tried it. Wouldn't recommend it.
- We enjoyed our eveninig andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012We enjoyed our eveninig and had a really good waitress.Special Features:
- One of the few places openOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2011One of the few places open on Christmas Day during a trip to SF. Love the dumplings. Service is always a bit awkward.Special Features:
- Have been going here overLASFDined on 12/25/2011Have been going here over the years and it only has gotten worse. The service was absolutely horrible, the food was dreadful and the plates were so small for the cost. Not quite sure why some people like it, especially in a town that has great chinese food. I know now that this must be mostly for tourists, not local San Franciscans.Special Features:
- Food was wonderful. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2011Food was wonderful. Service was very slow. Worth the wait if you have the time.Special Features:
- What I love about Hunan isOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/22/2011What I love about Hunan is that it has a delightful spice with a kick but it's not drowning in sauce like other styles of Chinese food. Brandy Ho's has the extremely hot woks working overtime to get a truly yummy dish happening. Great taste and great service!Special Features:
- people friendly and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/17/2011people friendly and great service we were a party of 12 with 3 grandchildren all goodSpecial Features:
- The food was tasty, but thechaia9Dined on 12/14/2011The food was tasty, but the vegetable dish we ordered, which was supposed to have broccoli as one of its ingredients, was almost all broccoli. Disappointing for someone who wants mixed vegetables as described. We went early, so it was quiet.Special Features:
- Brandy Blah'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011I had a voucher for this place so I invited friends to join me. Little did I know the voucher was only valid Monday through Thursday (which is REALLY stupid for them to put such a limitation on a $50 voucher like that...) The food was okay, wasn't your typical greasy Chinese food - which I guess is what they pride themselves on. I ate everything on my plate (which I never normally have to) then went home and ate more - so definitely not filling. I would not return, but I apparently have to in order to use the voucher I purchased (sigh..) The service was ok..this place is just blah.
- It was not as good as I wasNDfoodmistakeDined on 11/25/2011It was not as good as I was expecting. Ordered what I thought was chow mein and got lo mein. Maybe it's a regional thing. Hot and spicy soup had overdone vegetables-mushy. I would not return. People were nice and attentive, but I've had better Chinese food in a strip mall in Orlando.
- The usual fare is clearlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/19/2011The usual fare is clearly Chinese-American, designed for tourists, but if you ask, they can prepare some authentic Hunan dishes.
- Delicious Hunan specialties.curtis628Dined on 10/25/2011Delicious Hunan specialties. And no MSG..cannot wait to dine there again !!!Special Features:
- Good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2011The food was good and quite tasty. Prices reasonable. A bit grimy and floors felt greasy but what do you expect with an open kitchen.
- Great Hunan food! If youOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/7/2011Great Hunan food! If you like it spicy, tell them and they can ramp up (or dial down) the hot factor. Three Delicacies is excellent, and love the Moo Shu chicken. Sit at the bar if you want to see how the food it prepared.Special Features: