Brandy Ho's - Castro
4068 18th Street
San Francisco, CA 94114Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
Brandy Ho's - Castro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brandyhos.com/
- Phone: 4152528000
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Asian, Chinese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Brandy Ho's - Castro
Serving San Francisco since 1980, Brandy Ho's restaurant is one of the most popular landmarks on the San Francisco dining scene. Acclaimed by numerous Bay Area food critics, it has also been hailed by publications around the world as a "must visit" when in San Francisco. The food at Brandy Ho's is prepared with only the freshest ingredients, using a minimum of oil and sugar. Absolutely no MSG, artificial chemicals or flavor enhancers are used. The cooking at Brandy Ho's is based on the peasant style found in the Hunan region of China. The distinctive dishes are authentically hot and spicy, using traditional Hunan spices and lots of garlic. Brandy Ho's offers a wide selection of tasty hot and spicy vegetarian dishes. To please every palate, any meat or vegetarian dish can be ordered as mild as you like, or not hot at all.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brandy Ho's - Castro reviews from OpenTable diners
- I have to say that after manyOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 4/6/2013I have to say that after many visits to Brandy Ho's Castro location I don't think I will be returning. The last visit the service was horrible and the portion sizes have been getting smaller and smaller. It's a shame since they are in a great location.
- Very quick and fresh food. "Jacky"OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/26/2013Very quick and fresh food. "Jacky" is very HOT!... Hope to see him again soon!!Special Features:
- I really dislike the TV inOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/24/2013I really dislike the TV in the dining room. TV screens really have no place in restaurants. It's distracting and destroys the nice ambience.Special Features:
- Found my Chinese restaurant.SMARCINVIPDined on 2/16/2013I am not a big fan of average Chinese food in general. I am comfortable with average Italian, Indian, Ethiopian, Mexican, Peruvian...you get the picture. But, I do like finding good Chinese restaurants. I was very pleased with Brandy Ho's menu choices and the quality of the food. The seafood was very tasty. The service was decent. The location is hard to beat. I expect I will be returning soon to Brandy Ho and look forward to their delicious sauces.Special Features:
- Dependably good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/25/2012Good, consistent spicy chinese food. Mostly stir fry - their smoked dishes are a house specialty.Special Features:
- Love that peanut sauce!ReginaSFVIPDined on 11/18/2012The green onion pancakes with peanut sauce are the best!
- It's okay and cheap if youOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/7/2012It's okay and cheap if you are in the Castro and happen to want Chinese food. There is nothing bad about it but nothing in particular to recommend it, either.
- it was quiet when were there.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/28/2012it was quiet when were there. Not very busy. Tasty and fast
- Just OK.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/21/2012This place was just okay. Not bad but not exceptional either. I was unhappy with our table being that the restaurant is small and we seemed stuck in a corner but otherwise decent food and clean bathroom!
- The food is always good here.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/29/2012The food is always good here. Nice people watching place as well.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/3/2012We had a wonderful early dinner with the best table and attentive service. We would definitely go again
- The food was great! The onlygrannygooseVIPDined on 1/29/2012The food was great! The only problem was the the main course arrived before we had half of the appetizers gone. Next time I would order the appetizers - eat them - and then order the main course. The wait staff seemed disinterested and did not explain portion sizes etc. Not too helpful. Their literature said "no to go boxes" however, they did box leftovers. We will go back again.Special Features:
- I found the fried shrimp towayneVIPDined on 1/27/2012I found the fried shrimp to be overly battered. The service was not conducive to relaxed dining. The staff was accommodating in giving us a table with some seats having a back.
- The decor is unusual. SomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/23/2012The decor is unusual. Some love it, others don't. Was easy to hold a conversation. The service seemed unfocused, but once we were able to attract the attention of the staff all requests were accommodated. The attitude was neutral - neither hostile nor particularly enthusiastic. The cocktails were very weak. The "classic" martini list had neither gin nor vodka martini - they were all fruit based. I suspect they would have made a vodka martini on request, but gin was not available at the bar at all. Overall the cocktail list felt poor. The food tasted mostly fine, but nothing special. No dish stood out except for the sizzling rice soup, that tasted weird. The dumplings in the dumpling soup were so big that even taking a bite was difficSpecial Features:
- The made-to-order all-you-can-eatDinnerVIPDined on 1/6/2012The made-to-order all-you-can-eat is GREAT! Though make sur eyou go on the days they offer it...Special Features:
- Poor Customer serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/19/2011As a repeat customer I was disappointed with my last visit when the manager/server would not ask an adjacent table to quiet down. It took repeated attempts to get them to say anything until I insisted.
- Been here before, Love eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2011Been here before, Love eating here when in the Castro area.Special Features:
- we were the only people atOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2011we were the only people at the restaurant and the staff was very attentive, to the point that i felt i was being rushed from one course to the next.
- Love that peanut sauce!ReginaSFVIPDined on 8/5/2011Onion pancakes - wow!!!!! The peanut sauce would make anything taste divine....The vegie muhu shu was outstanding....Special Features:
- I guess the word to describeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2011I guess the word to describe this place is "cute" It is small and would be noisy if filled to capacity. The egg rolls were really good. I wished the generals chicken was spicy instead of sweet. I think it's a good place for couples or two friends.Special Features:
- I was a little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/1/2011I was a little disappointed in their Brandy's Diner which included prawns,scallops and beef - the beef was tough and the sauce was bland...
- Great, tasty food as spicyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 2/14/2011Great, tasty food as spicy as you want it and strong drinks. How can you beat that?
- This was our first time eatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2010This was our first time eating here and it was great. Portions were adequate and not over filling. Great place to go for dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- My friends and I had dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2010My friends and I had dinner at Brandy Ho's in the Castro and it was amazing! The food was hot and tasty and the service was awesome. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. It's become a favorite of mine and definitely recommend it to everyone. They have varying levels of spice, so it's appropriate for everyone.Special Features:
- Better food else where butOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/12/2010Better food else where but for the Castro area it is by far the best choice. That said the food and service is solid and I would go back any time for a bite. The difference is this is a good restaurant but not a dinning experience. The food is very American, not the real style you would get in china town.
- Really tasty, well preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/25/2010Really tasty, well prepared Chinese food without MSG. Fun crowd and fast service. Definitely the best Chinese food in the Castro.Special Features:
- I was have dined here severalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/15/2010I was have dined here several times and every time i have a great meal and serviceSpecial Features:
- I read both very positiveHowardVIPDined on 7/10/2010I read both very positive and negative reviews, but our experience was all to the positive. Great food, excellent service, we ordered everything not spicy and that's how it was prepared, nice atmosphere, really no complaints. Will definitely return to order more of the extensive menu.Special Features:
- This place is awesome. I madeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2010This place is awesome. I made my reservation through open table and I asked for a quaint spot since it was my honeymoon. Well I got a call from the restaurant giving me a heads up that it may not be the best kind of place for a quiet romantic dinner because it was friday night at 11pm and the bar crew was in there. They were super courteous and wanted to make sure my meal was enjoyable. My wife and I had an AMAZING dinner, great service and the food was spectacular. We have definitely found our new go to spot for delicious hunan food. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who wants some delicious food with great service and a nice ambiance. By the way.... they are very reasonably priced as well.Special Features:
- I was looking for a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/19/2010I was looking for a restaurant like the long gone Hunan on Haight but was disappointed. The food was fresh and happily lacked the cloy syrups that make so many Chinese meals glycemic nightmares. But I was disappointed with the level of spice. The waiter asked how spicy, so I said "regular" by which I mean the same way the chef eats it. He looked puzzled so I elaborated and said "I want it to make me sweat, but not cry for my mommy." Later, he came by and asked if the food was too spicy, and I emphatically said no. He never asked if it was spicy enough. I was really insulted when I saw the check and every dish had "mild" written next to it. Mild is not regular for Hunan cuisine.Special Features:
- We have been eating at theirOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/4/2010We have been eating at their other locations for years. This was our first time to try this branch. The room is very nice and the service was great. We are used to the 'heat' level being a bit higher and will know next time to adjust our request up a bit. Great food and great place.Special Features:
- Excellent Hunan food for theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/10/2010Excellent Hunan food for the price, and the decor is just nice enough to bring visitors.Special Features:
- I have always walked by theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/27/2010I have always walked by the restaurant and never stopped. I finally did the other night and now I am planning when to go back. Everything was outstanding!
- One of the best Asian CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/27/2010One of the best Asian Cuisine I have had in a long time. Very good service and attentionSpecial Features:
- Service was very friendlyLivesinDCVIPDined on 2/14/2010Service was very friendly and quick, the restaurant was nicely decorated and the food was good. We were attending a show at the Castro Theater and this was a good choice before a show. We'll definitely return.
- I fell in love with BrandyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2010I fell in love with Brandy Ho's in Chinatown. The food was always excellent and the service was friendly quick. The Castro location continues the great food and service. I love the difference in decor between the two, I can get the same great food whether I want to dress up some or just go casual.
- Food was pretty good. AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/28/2010Food was pretty good. Ambiance not so much so... small place, no backs to the chairs. Big TV screen with pictures of food in the front... not what you want to see when you were eating. Servers were very nice but forgot one entree entirely. Probably good for takeout as it is very tasty or a good place to go for a quick bite.Special Features:
- Dining her for Christmas wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/25/2009Dining her for Christmas was a joy. Their reservations were organized and on time. The food we delicious and the service was great.Special Features:
- Brandy Ho's is a great neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/23/2009Brandy Ho's is a great neighborhood late-night spot. The food is fresh, interesting, and very tasty. I often drop in after a late night of working and it is nice to have an unpretentious, delicious meal.Special Features:
- waitperson spoke very littlePatriciaVIPDined on 11/18/2009waitperson spoke very little english....didn't know what to do when I told her it was an "Open Table" reservation. consequently, I didn't get the points. I phoned the mgr. and he said he would take care of it. Not showing up yet...please handle. thanks very muchSpecial Features: