754 NE 25th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34470Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 3526209255
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Loring Felix
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering to meet your specific needs!
- Entertainment: Follow us on facebook for any upcoming events and entertainment!
A word from Braised Onion
Welcome to Braised Onion where we serve "comfort food with attitude!" Chef Felix has created a menu of gourmet southern foods with his special twist. Our wonderful desserts are homemade and will tickle your taste buds! We also offer a full-service liquor, wine and beer bar with happy hour from 4:00-6:00 daily. Try out our martini specials! Whether it's a big event or quaint party, you will enjoy our fantastic food, fun and colorful, festive atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Braised Onion - Best Restaurants in Ocala ›
Braised Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (20)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (16)fit for foodies (13)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (5)great for lunch (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Absolutely DeliciousTommyMVIPDined on 9/6/2014A very lucky find for us. We found it on Open Table and it looked interesting, it was much more ! Southern Comfort food is a nice catch phrase but the food was much much more. The Mahi Picatta was outstanding, the Mac & Cheese is worth driving just for that, unique, flavorful, not heavy. Best we have ever had. The Barbeque Shrimp and grits were phenomenal , perfect. Lastly the green beans had that speck a southern cooking flavor that you just don't find. We couldn't even try the dessert, too full. We will be back ( and soon)! The bonus to the meal was live music and dancing . Just a great spot !Special Features:
- Great food!MMnana23Dined on 9/5/2014I can see why this was voted Ocala's best Lobster Bisque! Oh my...so yummy. Loved the atmosphere in this place. Liked the live music with the light jazz in the background while dining. Just an overall great experience. Wonderful "date night" place for dinner. Would definitely want to go again when in the Ocala area. Lovely.Special Features:
- special everythingYummyYummyDined on 8/30/2014best appetizer I have ever had. Would go again just to lick the plate and it doesn't have to be mine (it was that good). Was visited by the own who was very excited to meet new guests and was happy to answer any questions. I love hands on places. Even the gentleman clearing our table could have been our best friend so polite with a kind smile. Just perfect. We were offered the "Special" and didn't hesitate to order it. Yummmm but, next time we will inquire as to what the cost of the "Special" is. :)Special Features:
- LoudNcw1Dined on 8/29/2014The only negative is the noise level. Unfortunately we couldn't be seated in the room on the left due to a private party.Special Features:
- A Summer evening visitTheatreTechDined on 8/23/2014The food is very, very good. On our last visit it was crowded and our server look a long time to greet us and a long time to serve us our meal. However theSpecial Features:
- AnniversaryanniversaryDined on 8/15/2014We celebrated our 33rd anniversary. We were seated between two large parties and between the jazz (which was awesome) and the noice at the two large party tables next to us we could not hear each other. I will only sit in one of the booths from here on out. The two large parties were trying to talk over the jazz which made it difficult to enjoy the jazz and not romantic at all. My husband had the country fried filet which was recommended and did not enjoy it at all. I had the seafood manicotti and it was delicious. We will definitely be back, but will only sit in a booth.Special Features:
- Even better than before.TServiceDined on 8/10/2014Every time I am in Ocala I try to have a meal at Braised Onion. I was able to take my mother with me this time. We had heard me rave about the Chicken Marsala. She was not disappointed. " The best she has ver had" she told me. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Braised onionBethanyDined on 7/30/2014Dined at the braised onion this past Wednesday with my family and what a great experience it was! I used the open table app and was promptly taken to my table in the preferred section we had asked for. Overall it was great experience and the food was really good. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REALLY GOOD FOOD!LolaFalanaDined on 7/17/2014Started off with a cosmo that was really to die for. Not too strong, not too weak. Just right. Had a Caprese salad appetizer. The best in Ocala. Nobody does a balsamic reduction the way they do. Just wish they'd have a little bit more tomato/mozzarella on the plate. For my entree, had a filet mignon, cooked to perfection and tender as can be, sauteed mixed vegetables and mashed potatoes. The vegetables were very tasty and not too soft. The mashed potatoes were, well, mashed potatoes. Didn't have room for dessert. Our server was absolutely fantastic. Service was timely, courteous and very pleasant. The noise level was a little bit high which made it difficult to hear sometimes. That's all I'd change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/11/2014We felt a little rushed by our waiter who kept hounding us to order and we were trying to have a conversation, this continued even after we were done eating and got the bill and paid it. It seemed like the girl had someplace else to go and wanted us out of the booth....not like there was a full house and people waiting to get in the door.Special Features:
- DisspointingcollieVIPDined on 7/2/2014Loved my first visit here, and couldn't wait to return, to my disappointment, the mushroom soup with I had loved, this time was just a salty corn starch broth, and not one mushroom, but they differently used the salt, didn't eat it. I order the country fried filet, again no flavor but old grease and salt, I question if the meat was a filet at all. Potatoes where good, but so white and not one lump, maybe box potatoes, green beans had what looked like ones from the week before mixed in with some fresh, but where good, and the wine....uggg all tasted turned, not sure they are storing the wines right for them all to be so vinegary. I tried 3 different types sent all back. Suggest you bring your own.Special Features:
- great placeKSiz90Dined on 6/21/2014food was great (though the mac n cheese was a little bland), drinks were great (highly recommend the white sangria) and they had live music playing. very fun date restaurantSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedTVfoodiesDined on 6/21/2014The Braised Onion had much more ambiance than expected. The food was good and reasonably priced. Service was good and the music was at just the right volume. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great RestuarantcollieVIPDined on 6/14/2014Service was amazing, food as well the fried green tomatoes where very tasty, we enjoyed the filet, braised ribs, and cream of mushroom soup all are to rave about we will deff go back. The rolls, which starts your meal are amazing so don't fill up on them. We dont live in Ocala, this is a great find, there arnt many good restaurants that offer great food, service and an upscale environment.Special Features:
- JanetDined on 6/14/2014food was great, service by Bob was outstanding, Sat. night live music was fun. A little noisy (Talking & baby crying). Wine list by the glass was minimal,otherwise, OKSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SueHVIPDined on 6/14/2014This was my first visit to Braised Onion. Brought my parents for Father's Day celebration. Fabulous service from Joanie! Great choice of entrees...something for everyone. Dad had prime rib, Mom had filet, I had lemon chicken and my fiancé had braised beef short ribs. Everyone was happy :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place, But...Kahuna32162Dined on 6/14/2014This was our 2nd experience at Braised Onion and unfortunately not half as good as the first. Our server was slow and a bit confused (4 people at our table) 3 out of the 4 ordered the Braised Short ribs for and 3 out of 4 of us became ill later that night. I'm sure we will go back again, but not for a while.Special Features:
- A FavoriteOcalaManDined on 6/11/2014I've been here many times and will continue to return. The food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & entertainmentBAS1Dined on 6/7/2014Great food selection. Excellent house wine. Attentive competent service. Talented jazz and blues entertainer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Michigan07Dined on 6/7/20141st time for my ;husband & I, enjoyed our dinner, food was very good, good portions, not rushed, was able to enjoy conversation with our friends! Our waitress was outstanding, very professional & knew her menu !! Enjoyed our evening, will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteHeidiZDined on 6/6/2014There were 6 in our group and everyone raved about their food. We all agreed we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT TOO PLEASED!!SunshineDined on 5/31/2014I wish I could say we had a good experience at your restaurant this past Saturday evening (May 31st). It was a special occasion, my birthday, and we both ordered the prime rib from the menu. Much to our disappointment we were served a very small, very thin, piece of meat with a lot of fat in it. We even told the waitress, but she did not offer to exchange the meat for a better cut. We did not pursue the issue, which we surely should have done. The portions of the vegetables were very disappointing, also. We, also, ordered the Braised Onion appetizer and received a platter of bread with a half cup of braised onion dip. Needless to say, we left still hungry. Not sure if we will ever return or recommend your restaurant at this time.
- Great FoodastutedinerDined on 5/29/2014Did not get booth as requested. Said they did not get note about a booth. First time this has happened, so we let it go. Sat at table very close to a family. Not as private as a booth. As always, food was great as was service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!sharingfriendship1Dined on 5/25/2014We were celebrating with friends! It was a wonderful experience! Food was superb!Special Features:
- Great FoodpastafagoliDined on 5/24/2014Had the chicken marsala wife had the Maha I dish very flavorful presentation was nice will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 160 reviews are from the Braised Onion reviews archive.
- delightfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2014An unknown gem to me. will definitely go back. 3 in party. We all had a great experience.Special Features:
- The familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We had a nice Mother's Day buffet. Should have went a little earlier though the food was good but had been in the chaffing dishes awhile. But that was my fault not the restaurant. Service was good and attentive. Overall we had a nice family time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day DinnerGingerDined on 5/11/2014I have gone to the Braised Onion several times and have been pleased with the food and service. Recently, I went on Mother's Day for their dinner buffet. It was below the standard that I'm accustomed to. The food was just so-so. When I got the bill for two people...over $70.00 (no alcohol), I was shocked. to have to pay that much for what seemed like cafeteria food. I did go there, for Thanksgiving, 2013 and thought it was delicious and not nearly as expensive. I will go back to choose from their regular menu, which I feel is much better. I don't want to deter anyone from trying the Braised Onion. I will just stick to their regular menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day WeekendMomplus2Dined on 5/10/2014The restaurant was very busy and noisy with large groups and music in the bar, but the service was good in spite of that. The food was excellent for everyone in our party. A great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceocalabaglady27Dined on 5/10/2014First time here, and not at all disappointed............ambiance was soothing, food was extraordinary and everyone was very pleasant and attentive. From the steak, to liver and onions to seafood manicotta, nothing but rave reviews for all. There is so much more we want to try on the menu. We will definitely be returning for more!Special Features:
- Great ambienceoffcampus2goDined on 5/10/2014Friends recommended Braised Onion, and we arrived at 5 pm on Saturday, so not yet crowded. The interior decorations were terrific. Excellent service, and good variety of food choices. A few more healthy selections need to be added (low salt and low fat). Husband loved the mushroom soup and meatloaf, and I liked the grilled salmon atop spinach salad. Fresh rolls were divine. The only bad review is the noise level, especially as the place filled up; we had to practically shout at each other while leaning forward across the table. Easy drive from The Villages, and worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchetingoutDined on 4/20/2014We were seated immediately upon entering as they had the reservation from Open Table waiting. We have eaten brunch here before and the quality and quantity of the food has not changed. Everything was well prepared and very tasty. The variety of food available was outstanding and we could not have been more satisfied. No waiting in long lines to serve yourself and the entrees were replenished very quickly. The service was excellent including removing the dirty dishes quickly as we went to fill another plate. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Local GemKreviewDined on 4/20/2014As always, our experience at The Braised Onion was delightful. The staff is personable, the environment is pleasant, and the food is wonderful! I love that this restaurant is unique - our local gem.Special Features:
- FantasticJamesTDined on 4/20/2014We went for the Easter Brunch and as usual the food and service were excellent. The acoustics are not good so it does get a little noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Ocala,flDisnefileDined on 4/15/2014Had a wonderful dinner last Tuesday. Our party of 3 all had different entrees. Each was out of this world. The braised ribs melted in your mouth, pecan crusted salmon was so delicious and the meat loaf was just like home. The salads were great. You must try the house dressing. Soups were very tasty. Will be there again and again. Made reservations for the Easter buffet. Menu looks so inviting.Special Features:
- A Must!btferrellDined on 4/11/2014My husband & I ate here for our 10 year wedding anniversary. He had the meatloaf, I had the lemon chicken. We LOVED the fried green tomato appetizer. We highly recommend trying them. Both of us were beyond satisfied with our selections. The food was hot, beautifully arranged and the prices were really reasonable. The jazz singer was a huge plus for us. The owner came out and talked to us and wished us well for our special occasion. Overall experience was wonderful! We WILL be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificKBocalaDined on 3/29/2014Prompt seating, great food, great service. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality of food.RandPDined on 3/29/2014The sweet potato fries were cold and stuck in a ball like they were reheated. The chicken dinner was small and appeared to be reheated. Aug. potatoes were too salty. Shrimp Scampi was all mixed together and floating in oil, the few shrimp that were in it had tails left on. The burger was cool. Succatash was just lima beans and corn. The onion soup was good. The lunch special price ended up being more than what was advertised! We will not go back and will not recommend this restaurant to our friends and familySpecial Features:
- Great food, Too NoiseyJeffSDined on 3/28/2014They need to get a sound expert in to do away with the noise factor. Worse than a bar.I would recommend this to a friend.
- martys adventurecooperDined on 3/23/2014Service was great. Bread pudding to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great liver and onions. The pot pie crust was burnt. Only reason food not rated excellent.Special Features: