754 NE 25th Avenue
Ocala, FL 34470Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: (352) 620-9255
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Southern
- Executive Chef: Loring Felix
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering to meet your specific needs!
- Entertainment: Follow us on facebook for any upcoming events and entertainment!
A word from Braised Onion
Welcome to Braised Onion where we serve "comfort food with attitude!" Chef Felix has created a menu of gourmet southern foods with his special twist. Our wonderful desserts are homemade and will tickle your taste buds! We also offer a full-service liquor, wine and beer bar with happy hour from 4:00-6:00 daily. Try out our martini specials! Whether it's a big event or quaint party, you will enjoy our fantastic food, fun and colorful, festive atmosphere!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Braised Onion - Best Restaurants in Ocala ›
Braised Onion reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (20)special occasion (17)fit for foodies (16)romantic (11)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The salmon dish was a bitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013The salmon dish was a bit skimpy on the fish. Very small piece, although it was very good. One in our party of six ordered filet mignon medium and received it rare. Other dishes were just as ordered and expected. A definite quality restaurant.Special Features:
- Outstanding in all respects.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2013Outstanding in all respects. If I am want to criticize, I would like a cocktail napkin to absdorb the condensation from the glasses. The entertainer was GREAT. My liver and onions were the best I've ever had in a restaurant the other 3 diners in my party were very pleased with theirs as well.Special Features:
- Not Up to Its Usual StandardsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/20/2013I have been in this restaurant on several occasions and always enjoyed my meal. This night was a bit different, although I must say that my meal, a petite salad was excellent and certainly worth the money. However, I was with a party of six this time. Two people in the party found the food to be too salty (a meatloaf and a lemon chicken). I had ordered sweet potato fries to go with my salad; these came only after reminding the waiter.Special Features:
- Service could have been better,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013Service could have been better, we went almost the whole meal without even getting a drink refill. No excuse for it really it wasn't busy at all. Food was very good.Special Features:
- Food wasShowjumperDined on 2/14/2013Made a reservation for valentines day. Showed up a few minutes prior to booked time, only to be told it would still be a 30-40 minute wait. Why did I make a reservation?! There were 15-20 other people sitting waiting for tables. When the hostess took our name she put us at the bottom of the waiting list. I asked if all the people ahead also made reservations...she said yes. She either lied to me or they overbooked their restaurant by 10 tables on valentines day. She promised to "make our inconvenience right", but there was no acknowledgement after that. It's a good thing the food was quite good, otherwise it would have been a less than stellar evening. I will not be going back, as there are other options in Ocala for my date night $$$.
- You'll love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2013We were there on Valentine's Day. There was a more limited menu than their usual dinner menu but it included some of their best choices. We split a bowl of the lobster bisque, which was delicious, & was nice to split. It's so rich a full bowl for 1 might be too much. I was told that Chef Felix makes his own lobster stock from scratch & you can tell by the flavor. The shrimp & grits appetizer was so good that I'll probably get it as a main course next time. The filet mignon & prime rib entrees were excellent & cooked to perfection. As for their service, even though they were PACKED when we were there, it was outstanding. Our waiter, Jason, was friendly, & never made us feel rushed.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the Valentine dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Enjoyed the Valentine dinner immensely. Our first time at the Braised Onion and we will return. The only thing I can think of in any negative way was the noise level, but that would not dampen the enjoyable evening of great/delicious food, delightful and professional service, and being with my favorite girl.Special Features:
- LovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013This was a perfect pick for a lovely St. Valentine's Day dinner. Our server was amazing, appropriately attentive. The prime rib was perfection!Special Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/13/2013This was our second visit to Braised Onion, and we are hooked! Great food, attentive and courteous staff, and no tummy ache on the way home. Lots of fresh ingredients. Just a great place to eat!Special Features:
- Other than booking throughOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/12/2013Other than booking through open table for a 645 dinner date and not actually being seated until 725, the food and service was superbly excellent.Special Features:
- A group of four for a birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/8/2013A group of four for a birthday celebration dinner. Had drinks, appetizers and good conversation among an energetic atmosphere. Server was very attentive to our needs. Entrees were served with three looking and tasting great. Unfortunately, my entree was unfinished and not realizing at the time, I had it wrapped to take home for dog (a chicken fried filet). Because all at our table were having a great time, I did not complain about my entree's most unappealing taste. Everyone else enjoyed their meals (mahi mahi picata, bourbon glazed NY strip and braised short ribs). It was not till our group left and while driving home someone made a comment how unappetizing my entree looked. I realized the chef had forgot to place gravy over entreeSpecial Features:
- This was our second visitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/22/2013This was our second visit to The Braised Onion and that's why we came back. We brought our friends there for her birthday and we really had a delightful evening. Joe our waiter was pleasant and very helpful and the food was delicious. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- We had a reservation for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/19/2013We had a reservation for 4 and ran into two friends who had already been seated. The hostess gladly moved all of us to a beautiful round table for 6 and we had a wonderful time. Food was delicious all around and Sherry gave us great service. We love being able to make a reservation and have it honored.
- Our party of four thoroughlyTheatreTechDined on 1/2/2013Our party of four thoroughly enjoyed the food and Service. Everything was very good.Special Features:
- First time. Excellent diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2012First time. Excellent dining experience. Only complaint....small child continuously looking over booth. Love children [raised 6 - 9 grandchildren] but there is a time and place. When going out to eat....like to relax without children's need for center of attention. I will definitely be coming back again frequently.Special Features:
- Not worth the tripOcalaNancDined on 12/15/2012There were 4 of us diningt. We were seated well away from the bar BUT the noise was ridiculous. The group that was playing near the bar should not have been miked. Diners were talking louder and louder just to be heard by each other so there was this din of noise; conversations were hard to hear. It was a relief when they took a break. The service was slow and the waitress more concerned about what she had done that day than getting our order placed or tending to us. My friend's martini was awful (way too much vermouth - he had asked for NONE); the prime rib was tough and two of the entrees were lukewarm. The salad was browning. The only good thing was my short ribs and my husband did like his chicken. This was our 2nd visit. No more.
- Following our daughter's graduationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2012Following our daughter's graduation ceremony from UF we decided to get out of the hustle of Gainesville and head south towards home. Using Open Table we found The Braised Onion and were so pleased with everything about the meal. The service, the bar service, the food...all added to our spirit of celebration. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- It was great!!! All four ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012It was great!!! All four of us enjoyed it and our dinners were excellent. We will be back.Special Features:
- Everything was fine. Didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Everything was fine. Didn't know it was buffet for the holiday. I have been here before for other occassions & just out with friendsSpecial Features:
- everything was super. spokeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012everything was super. spoke to Felix, who seemed interested, Thanksgiving Buffet was awsome, regards, Helen MillerSpecial Features:
- The Thanksgiving Day buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012The Thanksgiving Day buffet was phenomenal! Some of the food was the best we've ever had for Thanksgiving dinner (much of it was even better than our relatives' home cooking!). The turkey, ham, dressing etc were perfectly cooked, some of the best I've had in years, and the side selection was above and beyond the usual restaurant holiday buffet. All in all a great experience and we hope to bring friends and relatives next year.Special Features:
- Just good cooking. EnjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012Just good cooking. Enjoyed our dinner, room was 3/4 filled, but quiet. Yes we will go back. Service was excellant.Special Features:
- Been to Braised Onion severalastutedinerDined on 11/8/2012Been to Braised Onion several times as a couple, foursome and neighborhood dining. Each and every time food has been of the highest quality. Especially enjoy the salmon w/hollandaise sauce. Is becoming our place to eat before the Ocala Civic Theater. Because they don't offer martinis 2 for 1 because they contain vermouth (a wine) (they say they are a 2 liquor drink), we have cocktails at home or stop at one of the many restaurants that include them in happy hour on our way to the Braised Onion.Special Features:
- Food and atmosphere were veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2012Food and atmosphere were very good. Service was a little slow, especially for a Wednesday night. We will return.Special Features:
- CRH: Got Me Cravin' Some Braisin'OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2012Service was pleasant. The hostess was very friendly and accommodating. Bob, the bartender/server was very professional and knowledgeable. Of course, I tried the braised onion and flatbread appetizer. It was a bit messy, but that is to be expected when eating comfort food. The Tempura Fried White Fish was hot coming out of the kitchen, but when it cooled down it was pretty tasty. The best part was the apple pie. You can definitely tell that it is homemade. It wasn't oversweetened or overspiced. It was perfect. You could really taste the apples, and with the pecans, mmm. They were telling me about their happy hour from 4-7, and it sounded interesting, especially with the bar set-up that they have. But I had to get back on the road. Thanks.Special Features:
- This was a great experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012This was a great experience. A great find. Have already recommended it to friends and neighbors.Special Features:
- Never too late for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2012We arrived a little late however they had a table ready for us right away. The server was excellent. He knew his wines and his menu very well. He was very friendly and sociable. I will go back there again and will bring friends with me. Ocala is doing well to have such eating establishments.Special Features:
- Chef Felix has a hit....HonestDinerDined on 10/12/2012Food was excellent. Meat loaf delicious, Lemon chicken perfectly prepared. Pot pie crust flaky and generous portion. Mahi Mahi portion was a little small, but delicious. Would rather not have the mustard sauce on it. Mac n cheese fabulous, green beans tasty. Lobster bisque ok, nothing special would not have again. Rolls hot and butter soft. Yum...overall great. Decor is nice. So tastefully done. Service was great. Prices are middle of the road. Such a nice change from the "chains". Love the neighborhood feel and that a chef prepared the meals.Special Features:
- We spent out 32nd AnnivarsyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012We spent out 32nd Annivarsy with friends at the Braised Onion and found it to be the right choice for our special night. Another note is it was the first time for all of us but will not be the last. We appreciate good food, service and a friendly place to eat. Thank youSpecial Features:
- This is the third time we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2012This is the third time we've been to the Braised Onion. One of Ocala's Best! Always enjoyed our food selections. Great service, very reasonable prices for the quality of food. What we love the most about this place is the menu variety. It's a one page entree menu but the selections are all unique to their own style and flavor. You definitely can't get bored or tired of this menu. We're very thankful that Felix decided to open this great place.Special Features:
- The food was excellent. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012The food was excellent. My girlfriend and I had 2 different types of fish cooked as ordered. The onion loaf was outstanding, and was so large took some home. Salad's excellent and different. Dessert was not ordered, as too much food already, but the list of them sounded really great. Will do that separate another time. The waiter Jeremy was upbeat and just fantastic in every way. We had the best meal in a long time. Thanks.Special Features:
- This has become my our "favorite"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012This has become my our "favorite" restaurant and especially our "favored" place to take friends. We took friends there Sat evening - was their first time - and they are still raving about it. Can't wait to go again and highly recommend it!!!
- Dining Group's Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/5/2012A group of eight who will dine together for the next 4 months chose Braised Onion based on past experience of some of the diners. Chef Felix did not disappoint. Favorites of the evening were prime rib and a specialty dish, salmon oscar. Wine list is not extensive, but adequate. Desserts were creative, including a prize-winning Princess Diana bread pudding. Overall, a memorable evening. Service could have been a tad snappier.Special Features:
- I was overall dissapointed,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012I was overall dissapointed, as it was very average. Food was ok,service was rushed and it was noisy and loud.
- Good food cooked well!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/21/2012This is a great little place for good homestyle food cooked well. Chef Felix definitely deserves the Culinary Combat Champion title! We had the braised onion flat bread for an appetizer which was different but good; we also had the filet mignon & the grilled salmon. Both were prepared to perfection. Our server was great and I'm sure we'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- Prime Rib HappyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2012The Prime Rib was the best that I have had anywhere. The decor is pleasent and the restaurant is quiet enough to share conversation. The service was exellent.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2012We raved about the restaurants to friends and brought three couples with us. We were embarrassed . The prime rib was tough and chewy, The pot pies were so so- Maybe the chef was off that Sat. Night. This was our third trip within six months to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Do not be deterred by theirOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2012Do not be deterred by their slogan, "Comfort food with attitude." This is not Grandma's comfort food. Everythng we have had there has been delightful, imaginative and delicious. Recently I was served fresh, wild Columbia River salmon, perfectly prepared, with a sweet potato lasagna. My husband had meat loaf and loved it. The service was very good, even though the restaurant was nearly full, and the food arrived in a very reasonable of amount of time. We recommend this restaurant with no hesitation.Special Features:
- Chicken Fried Delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2012The restaurant was beautiful - rich colors - artsy decor. The rolls they brought to the table were toasty and warm and yummy! The chicken fried Filet Mignon was indescribably delicious!!! Loved the mashed potatoes and mac-n-cheese. My husband had the New York Strip. It was a little overkill with the aus ju sauce. So much so that his side dishes were soupy. It was our first visit - but we will definitely be back.
- If we pay for a great mealLynnBDined on 6/30/2012If we pay for a great meal & tip well, I think restaurant staff should box our food and not plop down the containers for us & then I have to asked for a bag too. Very in professional.Special Features: