3333 Virginia Beach Blvd
Virginia Beach, VA 23452Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.braisevab.com/
- Phone: (757) 961-8131
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm-10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David Frohlich
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dining rooms with the Fishbowl seating up to 16 and the Aquarium seating up to 40. Rooms have large glass windows which can easily be covered for more privacy.
- Private Party Contact: Mei Ling Perkins 7589618131
A word from Braise
Braise is an eclectic American restaurant specializing in slow-cooked meats and seasonal accompaniments. We serve brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 11-3. Prime rib Sunday and Monday nights. We have Happy Time in the bar from 4-6:30 daily (no reservations, first come first served).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Braise - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Braise reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (14)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (8)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (8)notable wine list (6)romantic (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- dinner with friendsjakeVIPDined on 11/15/2014service was spotty - one appetizer never arrived, while one meal was "fair" and not hot when served. previous meals there have been good, not sure what happened Saturday as the restaurant was not at all crowded.
- Amazing foodjcowDined on 11/8/2014The food at Braise was just amazing. The service was first class and the wine/beverage list was fabulous. It is very close to our neighborhood and will definitely become our local favorite!Special Features:
- ExceptionalIcorvusDined on 11/7/2014We had a great meal at this venue. Our meals were perfectly cooked and served in a timely manner. With Very helpful wait staff,. We will definitely return to try their prime rib dinner and their Brunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, will be backCharlieWalkerDined on 9/26/2014Service was great, food was great - highly recommend the braised short ribs. Do wish they had more than lumpia as non-seafood apetizers but they were fine. Salads with smoked pears, entrees, and desserts were all great. Solid wine and beer list for pairing. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NativeFoodie757Dined on 8/31/2014BRAISE is always outstanding and offers a wonderfully prepared seasonal menu to satisfy the most ardent "foodie" around town! We continue to be delighted by the specials and the ambience no matter the meal...brunch, lunch and dinner!Special Features:
- Braise never disappoints!tibby2Dined on 8/30/2014Wanted to take a good friend from California to a dining spot that not only offered great food, but also a varied menu, with fine service, and great ambiance - Braise never disappoints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodCyndyBDined on 8/30/2014Nice meal: we had the raw/fried oysters, the tuna/crabcake entrees, and gelato for dessert. All beautifully presented. Crabcake was spectacular--no filler, large lumps.Only downside was the tuna: properly cooked but bland. Needed something: a rub, drizzle, sauce... Superb service, alert but not hovering, professional & kept conversation to the meal, not personal chat. Excellent wine list--not ridiculously extensive but very well chosen wines such as Molly Dooker. Prices reasonable too. We do wish they'd put up some screens to break up the wide-open dining room and make it a bit more intimate. Seeing the expanse of tables, hostess station, and the glassed-in private room from the banquette is more than openness than we care for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was subparHeartsofhavocDined on 8/30/2014The menu looked good, but there weren't a lot of small plates, we had the tuna appetizer and it was alright but the seaweed salad was watery. I ordered a soft shell crab special which was good, but my boyfriends chicken tasted like it had been cooked in the microwave - it didn't taste right. The gravy on it was watery and very thing seemed over salted (and I love salt). I wouldn't eat there again
- pretty goodCyndyBDined on 8/25/2014At lunch, no bread offered. Fried oysters were good. No coleslaw as listed on menu. Served with russian dressing instead of tartar. All sides are $ extra. The side of corn fritters, aka hush puppies, were hard & dry. No butter. Companion had the burger with mashed potatoes & gravy, offered no sauce, catsup, mustard. She tasted her she crab soup. Dessert was profiteroles by another name & bananas foster cheesecake. Bizarrely, they left the skins on the banana halves; server had no idea why. No mistake as they were carefully placed on whipped cream. Profiteroles were drizzled with Hershey's instead of an actual chocolate sauce. Will coach them if we return; I'm pretty sure Bobby Huber didn't train the kitchen this way.
- New chef…great food!roxyvbVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had been here 2 times before with a previous chef. This dinner experience was even better! I had the same dish I had before and it was even better this time! The desserts are wonderful and I loved the french press coffee! A really nice touch. The owner noted they are now serving lunch so will definitely try that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope they make it...WineabitDined on 8/22/2014We were at Braise on a Friday at 7:00 -- had a reservation, but didn't need it -- hardly anyone in the dining room (though the bar area was busier). The food was great and so was the service, but I worry with so few diners whether they will continue to make a go of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last optionCopperQuailDined on 8/20/2014Unfortunately, when you wait too long to make a reservation at the great high end restaurants in Virginia Beach, you end up with a less than stellar experience. We tried this restaurant and hoped it would impress two corporate physician guests who were visiting our physician group. An empty dining room is not a good sign! The decor is dated--serious updating to wall art is in need. We asked our waiter to just select a variety of appetizers for our table. While we had variety, none were tasty. The beet salad, and wedge salads were fine. My braised ribs with cheese grits was good, but all the other seafood entrees were greeted with poor review. The fish odor was strong. The food was not seasoned and generally lacked taste. Extemely mediocre.
- Very Accessable Wine ListMayoplanVIPDined on 8/20/2014Met a friend for lunch and ate appetizers and wine. The soup of the day was excellent and a "must" is the phillipino rolls. But the "star" of the meeting was the French, Vin de Pays De Vaucluse. At $25, this was a bargain. Great nose and a nice spicy finish Give it a trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was excellent quality but the presentation of the food on the "plate" was less than average. The crab cakes were outstanding. The braised short ribs were crowded with cheesy grits which had spinach splashed on top and a heavy helping of gravy on the beef and half of the grits. I expected better quality overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy camper!PattyleeDined on 8/16/2014The food was really good...a bit over priced...maybe give bigger portions???? I ordered the smoked pork chop....the flavor was great but it was so tough I couldn't chew it. The she crab soup was different from any I've had before but I thought it was good...my husband.. not so much. Would I go back...you betcha! Our server was terrific. She was very knowledgeable, attentive and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft Shell Crab ClubMayoplanVIPDined on 8/13/2014The above may have been one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. The service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super DinnerLuvGreatFoodDined on 8/12/2014After meeting up with an old friend that was in town, I decided we would try Braise for dinner. I had the seared tuna and mashers, my friend had Étouffée. To say it was a delicious dinner would not do Braise justice. My friend and I both agreed we cannot remember a dinner that tasted so good. I have had really good lunch and brunch at Braise, but their dinners are beyond belief. The service was great, really good atmosphere and superb food. Braise is definitely on my list of restaurants to visit for dinner often.Special Features:
- fishcriticfromVaBchDined on 8/7/2014Started with fried oyster appetizer. Oysters were excellent. Order Braised short ribs and tuna. Received Salmon not tuna. Short ribs were good. The salmon was so so at best. Dined on a Thursday at 7:00. The place was almost empty. The dining area has no windows or view. Did not enjoy the ambience. I was facing into a wall.Special Features:
- Not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014There was a group of 6 of us going to the theatre after dinner. Our server was fine but not overly impressive or fast. The bar took a long time to make our drinks, the food was just fair and for the price I wouldn't go back.
- The following 4 reviews are from the Braise reviews archive.
- Wonderful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We enjoyed a pleasant lunch meeting here. The service was beyond wonderful and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Bon appetiteRealFoodieDined on 7/14/2014The waitress was very accommodating. My companion and I chatted a lot and took extra time before looking at the menu. We needed more croutons for the gazpacho, but there were no more, so the waitress got us a plate of crisp bread slices.Special Features:
- Great local spotVbnativeDined on 7/2/2014Braise was a great stop for an early dinner. They happily accommodated our picky child with several kid's options which they brought out while hubby and I started with appetizers of sautéed clams and arugula salad. We followed that with a wonderful dinner of lamb shank and étouffée. Both were delicious. The lamb was huge and came with the best polenta I've had in a long time. We were glad that the main dining room was very much separated from the bar as our early dinner coincided with a busy happy hour, but we only saw them as we were leaving. Definitely a place we will be returning to!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food but needs workwaterguyVIPDined on 6/27/2014We went back to Braise for the third time. We thought that the food was good but not much different from the previous chef. The server was polite and tried but seemed poorly trained. The main thing we did not like about Braise is the dining room. Bright hot lights and wide open room. It does not have a warm or inviting feeling.