316 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
BelgianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.brabantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125108588
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch/Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 11:00pm;Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Belgian
- Executive Chef: Armand Vanderstigchel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Brabant is Belgian restaurant and will be the largest in NYC at 120 seats. Brabant is an accurate and detailed recreation of a typical Belgian brasserie in New York’s Mid/Upper East Side. With our antique bar and furniture, beers and cuisine, guests will enjoy a true Belgian dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: the Brabant Team 8882760422
A word from Brabant
Named after the historic province located in the heart of Belgium until it was divided in 1995. Brabant seeks to revitalize and reunite this culturally-rich region in the heart of New York City. At Brabant, there is no division between the French-speaking Wallonia and the Dutch-speaking Flanders—all are welcome to come together in an old-world brasserie setting and enjoy the finest cuisine and beer that Belgium has to offer. More specifically, as you wash down a hearty bite of our Carbonnade Flamande with a dark Belgian ale, like Chimay Blue, dip the last of your frites in one of our special Belgian sauces or indulge in a Brussels-style waffle topped with warm Belgian chocolate and homemade whipped cream, you will at the same time be captivated by the warmth that emanates from Brabant's cozy and charming interior and the endearing service provided by our staff, which includes the passionate and innovative Belgian chef Armand Vanderstigchel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brabant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great FoodTeresaVIPDined on 10/14/2013Its very quiet and peaceful. Great dinner,dessert and service.
- I like this place, Beer selectionnewyorker101Dined on 10/8/2013I like this place, Beer selection is amazing. no noise on weekdays usually. I little overpriced for food. food is simple but good. People are very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchUncleBernieVIPDined on 9/29/2013Great choices, very fair price, easy-going atmosphere.Special Features:
- Brabant revieweliweliDined on 9/18/2013The restaurant was nice and the food was good, except the fries which were not crisp. The staf was nice and friendly but the service was slow. Overall a 3 1/2 stars.Special Features:
- Beer list was goodBigMacVIPDined on 8/16/2013They shouldn't let dogs in and just let then roam around from table to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and authentic Belgian!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2013Excellent and authentic Belgian cuisine. The many Belgian beers are served in their authentic logo glassware. Attentive and enthusiastic waitstaff. Owner on premises and very connected with entire operation, from kitchen to front-of-house. Excellent selection of specials. Solid daily menu of many Belgian specialties: moules, frites, ragouts, etc.. Delicious desserts! Would certainly return to this new and worthy dining establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not busy, but service wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2013Not busy, but service was very bad. Primary waiter seemed to be very inexperienced and struggled.
- bad all aroundstephieVIPDined on 7/20/2013we were party of 4 and reservation was at 6PM, were only clients at that time. Matre'd was very pleasant and tried hard.....that is where it ended....wine/beer/ bread very nice....took a long time for food to come and when it did, we were all disappointed....expensive and ridiculous small portions and not great taste. Ended up leaving and only had appetizers of muscles and salads. Will not return.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/24/2013I was tasked to find a place for my family to meet in Manhattan after work near where I was staying in midtown. I used open table reviews to help me pick this place. Right off 2nd avenue, where there are many busy, loud, hip restaurants, i was hopeful about Brabant because previous reviews mentioned wonderful food and surprise it wasn't more busy. This is exactly what we found. There were few other people there at 7:30 and we had amazing food and service. Their wild boar stew was one of the best things I ate during my week long stay in nyc. And I loved their fries with sauce other than ketchup! Plus, they have an extensive Belgian beer list. A neighborhood gem around the corner from the busy, hustle and bustle of 2nd avenue.Special Features:
- Very good, always dependable!VibrantVIPDined on 6/23/2013What you're looking for is here if you want a restaurant that checks all the boxes positively for food, service, ambiance and noise level. Our son, who is a beer aficionado enjoyed the selection and service of their Belgium beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great time was had by all.foodieVIPDined on 6/21/2013A great time was had by all. Good food well served. Would certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spot!MarkDined on 6/15/2013Great value with delicious selection of Belgian beers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belgian Goodness in east MidtownOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/14/2013It's a lovely place and has a great beer selection. Terrific Belgian fries and food overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beer selectionSJR1VIPDined on 6/11/2013Took my dad and wife here while they were visiting from FL. I've been here a few times and don't understand why it is never busy. Maybe it's the location. Great food, good service so I guess it's just a secret to the select few that have had the opportunity to go here. We had the fish & chips and 2 different versions of their seafood platters and all the fish was fresh and cooked properly. Terrific beer selection. Really like this place and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll Be BackOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/4/2013I found this place looking for something different than all the typical Italian, French...etc places that would be fun for a team dinner and drinks for 11. This was exactly what we got. Great beers, fun and good food and casual enough for a relax feeling and great conversation. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/1/2013This was my first trip to Brabant. The food was excellent, and the service attentive w/o being clingy. I will definitely eat here again.Special Features:
- The wait staff and the barKMat158Dined on 5/30/2013The wait staff and the bar tender were immediately welcoming, professional, and understated. The lightening and noise level are perfect for a cozy old world feel. Our meals were beautiful prepared (steak tartar, seafood gratin, and Mussels piquante). The selection of beer was quite extensive. As good as the other Belgian restaurant I frequent (Markt in NYC, Belga Cafe in Washington DC, and Belgo in London. The staff attitude would bring me back soon so well-versed on the menu and unpretentious (a rare quality ion many NYC establishments).Special Features:
- Notable beer selectionSJR1VIPDined on 5/18/2013Excellent service and outstanding beer selection. Terrine de Foies de Volaille (chicken liver pate) was delicious and I don't usually care for things like that. Mac and Cheese was excellent and very filling. As expected, Stoemp was tasty and the Ali & Creme Moules (Mussels) were excellent with a large portion size. Actually, all the options for Mussels looked really good and they come with good frites, too. Server really knew the items on the menu and even steered me to a lower priced entree which surprised me but boy was it good! While not crispy as advertised the Limburgse Wild Berry Strudel tasted good. I wanted to try one of the waffles for dessert but I was too full. Prices seem fair for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops to die for!LandSDined on 5/17/2013The scallop dish is ridiculously good. Just right ... seared on the outside but not over done. The flavor is awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belgian beautyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2013Went to dinner here with my wife. Years ago we had been to a great Belgian restaurant in London that had great mussels and Belgian beer. So we went with the mussels at Brabant and they did not disappoint. The Belgian beer list was very good too. The staff was super friendly. Our waiter was Matthew, he was great and so were all the others sorry I don't remember all of their names otherwise I would recognize them too. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neigbourhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2013We went here to a theater after party, which featured passed snacks and a buffet. Everyone was raving how good the food was and the coziness of this rather large mid town restaurant. We decided to go back for dinner and were very pleased how gracious the host was and how good the food was. We had the mussels and frites, steak tartare, carbonnade of beef and banana foster waffles. Just well prepared food served with a big beer selection. will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, no rushharrirDined on 5/10/2013I was between Brabant and a place in the West Village for a birthday dinner with friends and am so glad I ended up choosing Brabant. I had been there a number if times already so I knew the food to be delicious. For the birthday dinner they set up a really nice table for us and let us proceed through dinner in a leisurely fashion without rushing us. The chef sent over a complimentary appetizer and the bar tender offered us a complimentary port after dinner, so a nice recognition of the fact that we chose their restaurant for our celebration. One of my friends called to make sure it was ok if she brought a special cake and they were very nice about it (stored for us, brought it out with candles, sliced it for us, etc.). Great place!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Literally the worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/8/2013I went here with a small group of colleagues for a workday lunch. We arrived at 11:45 and it took 15 minutes to get 4 Diet Cokes. They messed up half of the orders...an order of mussels came out 30 minutes after other entrees. The waiter acknowledged he is new, but still: this is New York...you can't operate such a terrible way. What was meant to be a nice office getaway lunch turned into a nightmare.
- Belgian fare at its best!BrassensGeorgesVIPDined on 4/27/2013How do you fit a genuine Belgian treat into the box-checking above? I couldn't. The Belgian beer list, both on tap and in bottles, was spectacular. The menu was classic Belgian bistro--moules frites, carbonnade...and what great frites! Can't wait to go back!
- Food was much better thanCaptainMike46VIPDined on 4/23/2013Food was much better than the service, which was a bit spotty. But overall quite nice. We were a party of 8... they gave us a long table, 4 seats on each side.... A round table would have been better, but the only ones were in the back, which was seemingly not being used. But I'd go back.........
- The food was not as good thisBrunchReviewVIPDined on 4/13/2013The food was not as good this time as previous occasions that I have dined at Brabant.
- Excellent and authentic Belgian!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/7/2013Excellent and authentic Belgian cuisine. The many Belgian beers are served in their authentic logo glassware. Attentive and enthusiastic waitstaff. Owner on premises and very connected with entire operation, from kitchen to front-of-house. Excellent selection of specials. Solid daily menu of many Belgian specialties: moules, frites, ragouts, etc.. Delicious desserts! Would certainly return to this new and worthy dining establishment.Special Features:
- Bring your appetite for brunch!momof2greatcatsVIPDined on 4/7/2013Bring your appetite for brunch! Portions are very generous - quite tasty food. We almost could have shared one brunch entree. Bitterballen as an appetizer were AMAZING! They are a classic Dutch/Belgian bar food snack and Brabant does them justice. We'll definitely be coming back!
- We had a most enjoyable brunch.MaxiDined on 4/7/2013We had a most enjoyable brunch. The service and food were great. Everyone was friendly.Special Features:
- A delicious meal, with excellentDaveDined on 4/6/2013A delicious meal, with excellent service and a creative, fun menu! Take the time to visit, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Good Food Inonsistent ServiceLloydDined on 4/5/2013I visited Brabant twice. Food is pricey, but was very good both times. Service was excellent on the first visit. The waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable about the beers and menu items. On the second visit, we had a different wait staff and the service was inconsistent. The chef came out to greet some of the customers which was nice. The hostess and bus buy worked very hard to clear the tables and accommodate customers' requests, but the rest of the wait staff disappeared for long period of time without checking on the customers.Special Features:
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Easter dinner at Brabant. Excellent selection of Belgian beers. Had two of their Easter specials; braised lamb shank and roasted pork loin, both of which were well prepared, beautifully presented, and excellent. The desserts, a Belgian rice pudding and a hazelnut & chocolate crepe, were huge, artery-clogging, and delicious. The service staff were very friendly, very knowledgeable, and very attentive. An overall memorable and pleaseant experience. We will go there again!Special Features:
- Great service and food. LargeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/31/2013Great service and food. Large beer selection. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Thought that the ambianceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Thought that the ambiance was great, I would love to go back to the resturant if the food was any better . Everything wa s reallu bland the best thing was the applewood smoked bacon, something that you don't go to a Belgium resturant to have. The waffles were nice but didn't taste like anything a waffle should taste like.
- Tig says:MarkDined on 3/28/2013Outstanding food and service; incredible beer selections; Brabant has become one of my favorite restaurants in Midtown East!Special Features:
- We did a search for BelgianArmaniDined on 3/23/2013We did a search for Belgian Restaurants, and this one came up highly recommended. We were greeted warmly by the hostess and sat in the bar area. I like the warm romantic lighting and the overall atmospherics.We ordered some different exotic Belgian beers from the extensive list-what a treat. As appetizer, we ordered the bitterballen, a meat filled croquette that melts in your mouth. They were very similar to the ones we had while traveling thru Europe in Amsterdam and Brussels.The Belgium endive salad was very good, while the tuna tartar was typical, but tasty. We ordered the 5-spice short rib special which was fork tender and in a delicious sauce/ the mussels came in a beautiful black mussel pot and the frites were very good. Excellent!!Special Features:
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013Discovered this hidden gem after a recommendation from a colleague. I was very impressed. When I walked in everyone was very warm from the hostess to the bar staff. The first time I came here my friend and I sat at the bar and drank their classic Belgian beer on tap. We ordered the calamari and something else I can't remember off hand but we loved it lol. She basically stole the both plates from me. Guess she liked it. The bartenders are fun and friendly the food is great. Very authentic Belgian bar/restaurant if I have to say so myself.
- A Belgian beautyonefishtwofishDined on 3/20/2013We love good beer and good Belgian food and Brabant delivers on both counts. The beer list may not be as large as at other places, but the selections are wonderful: Malheur12 (bottle) and Leffe Bruno on tap. The wine list is also nicely chosen and priced with several good choices under $10 per glass. To start the meal we had the bitterballen and truffle croquettes. Both had a crunchy, oil free coating. The truffle croquettes had a light, smooth filing; the bitterballen a tender beef filing. We also had escargot, served on individual puff pastry shells with a tomato concasse, and duck breast, served with cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. The duck was perfectly cooked (medium rare) , tender and flavorful. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- The service was very good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013The service was very good. Our waiter was accommodating and available. The food was good. Not over the top and probably more of a 3 1/2 star than a full 4 stars. I don't think I would go back again.
- The menu on their websiteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013The menu on their website did not accurately portray what was available at the restaurant.