329 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.braainyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 315-3315
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun: 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Armando Martinez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Brandy/Private room available for bookings up to 12 and main dining floor accommodates private functions and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Tarita 2123153315
A word from Braai
Braai (South African for barbeque) is Manhattans only contemporary South African restaurant and brandy bar. Showcasing game meats and a diverse spectrum of culinary influences (Malay, Portuguese, French, Dutch & German) that create the fabric of our rainbow cuisine. Set under a vaulted thatch ceiling and tree trunk lined walls, it brings a little piece of the bush & "braaivleis" to the concrete jungle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Braai reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (16)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (8)good for groups (7)romantic (7)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Hamba gahleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014I fear Braai is not long for this world, which is a pity because I used to live in South Africa and would like someplace lekker to eat Seffrican occasionally. It looks like it's going broke. The ceiling decor (straw thatch) was removed and not replaced (fire regs?) so it's a patched construction site. Not quite enough light to read the menus. And the heat seems not to work. Was really cold inside the night I went -- my date froze. The staff was very nice, although it would have been nice to feel that someone actually South African worked there. And they brought the main courses while we were still eating the appetizers, just piling the plates onto the table. Felt like a factory line. And the food was really only OK. Big piles on the plate, no presentation. Pity.
- FANTASTIC Theatre dinnner spotHopeDined on 11/13/2014Braai! is only a few steps from the Theatre District, but not mobbed like it should be. The service is attentive from a South African staff, and prices are reasonable, and the food is fantastic! On this trip (not my first), I had the ostrich steak -- absolutely great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not recommendedsageDined on 11/6/2014The wine was really good and the server very nice and quick service. We were disappointed with the food. One person in our party liked the lamb they ordered but the rest was average or below. The website is very nice but the restaurant did not look anything like the images on their website. I would not recommend it.
- Great Drinks, ok FoodChrisDined on 11/2/2014The drinks were great at brunch. The food was OK. Not bad, but also not anything special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding find!GogocatDined on 10/29/2014A lovely evening of South African foods and wines. Our friends loved our choice and have already recommended Braai to their friends! There is a tapas menu and an a la carte menu. We mixed and matched! The "Roadrunner" (ostrich fillet) was outstanding, the salmon and roti, a big hit! I had the bobotie, a fantastic blend of spices, flavorful but not hot. All in all, an exceptional dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!BronxDined on 10/23/2014My mom and I shared 5 tapas for $42 and we were very full afterwards. Good was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turn Down the MusiclovenewyorkDined on 10/19/2014Had a very disappointing brunch last weekend. We were a table of 5 and when we arrived were the only table. I had been to this restaurant many times when I visit NYC. I have had many great experiences there. One waitress in particular always has been so friendly and attentive. Unfortunately this time the man who waited on us made us feel he was bothered to have to wait on us and I am thinking Really, with only one table. And the music was so loud and nightclub like on a Sunday at noon that we could not hear ourselves talk and had to ask several times if they could please turn it down. Finally the volume was reduced enough so that we could hear. On the bright side, the food was good and the bottomless peach mimosas are great.Special Features:
- Just averageNYEaterDined on 10/11/2014We came here expecting some unique foods, this being the only South African restaurant around. But for the most part, only the names of the dishes were unusual; the food itself was nothing special.
- disappointedAziNVIPDined on 10/11/2014Braai has been on my restaurant list for months and I was so excited to finally have dinner here. Sadly it was quite the disappointment. The restaurant has a very run down feel and look, not sure if they are under renovations. We were there early on a Saturday for dinner before a show and the service was mediocre at best, the restaurant was very clearly understaffed, while our server herself was pleasant, we had almost no interaction with her throughout our dinner. They forgot our silverware, we didn't get to put in a drink order for a solid 30mins after arrival and food order a little later. The food was ok, nothing spectacular. there are so many better dining options, I wouldn't come back.Special Features:
- redfrommichredfrommichDined on 10/11/2014The food was great, the choices unusual. My friend loved the venison stew, which he got in a square bread bowl. The mango, spinach, goat cheese salad was a wonderful combination. The babotie was as good as ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excited then sadly disappointed!BustAtBraaiDined on 10/11/2014As a South African family, we were very much looking forward to going to braai during our holiday in NYC. The excitement quickly dissipated once the food arrived. Dry, tough boerwors and pap, overly spicy ostrich steak and those were the highlights. We left disappointed with no plans to return on our next trip to The Big Apple.
- AmazingSaraVIPDined on 9/20/2014Delighted to share the wonderful experience of this restaurant with my nieces. Each dish was delicious and a wonderful memory of my trip to South Africa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchJW09022014Dined on 8/31/2014The food was authentic, mimosas flowed continuously and it took me back to the times I had visited South Africa. The vibe was also appealing as the crowd was diverse and the our waitress was attentive. The only downside was that the restaurant is currently under renovation and it lacks the ambiance it previously had with the thatch. I look forward to seeing it when its done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Braai Never MissesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Back to Braai again with my two sons - ages 25 and 28. We had a brilliant pre-theatre meal with lovely South African wines (we had an exceptional pinotage and a really lovely chardonnay). One son had ribs which were succulent and amazing - my other son and I shared the 9 tapas platter complete with ostrich sliders. sausage and polenta, an amazing eggplant with goat cheese and more. Terrific dessert - and then off to the theatre. I am going out to dinner with a friend this week - can't see any reason not to go to Braai. One of the best values in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a great meal!onthetownDined on 8/11/2014The food was prepared perfectly. We had the lamb chops and grilled octopus as starters and both were excellent. Prawns in a periperi sauce and the Ostrich filet served as our entrees were incredible. Flavors were well melded, textures exquisite. Not expecting much, were more than pleasantly surprised at how top-notch the meal turned out to be. Service was friendly, attentive and spot-on. Will recommend this restaurant to many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't look like the websiteGaryPDined on 8/2/2014The Braai website had a photo gallery that did not match the actual restaurant. THe website site showed a brightly decorate cozy dining room. Now everything has been painted white, and it looks dingy and dirty. The Prawns Piri Piri ended up being three overcooked shrimp with a scoop of rice. The staff was very friendly and service was good
- Uneven qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014We arrived early for a quick bite before a show. We were the first table to be seated. The appetizers were very good. The entrees were not. The ribs were so overcooked as to be almost inedible. The glaze on them was good. The only thing that explains it is that the ribs were from one or two nights prior and were just reheated for us. They were absolutely terrible. I believe that had they been properly cooked they would have been good. The other entree we tried was the red snapper. Very mediocre. The skin was a little undercooked and the flesh was a bit overcooked. The flavor was a bit too fishy and the whole dish was lacking flavor. Perhaps that is the style of that preparation, but I would not order it again. The deserts were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 750 reviews are from the Braai reviews archive.
- Great Brunch ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Our server was outstanding. She kept the mimosa's flowing and accommodated our need to be by the air conditioner. The food was reasonably priced. The menu offered a few unique options as well.Special Features:
- Step up your game!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014As a South African, my expectations might have been a little too high. Here's a list of issues that I had: 1. They ran out of brandy. 2. The boerewors was overcooked and very dry. 3. The biltong on the bruschetta was dry and they gave you a very small portion. 4. The lamb on the bunny chow was great but they could have taken the time to remove the fat off the meat. Once I did that it was great. It is supposed to be a spicy dish but wasnt spicy at all. 5. Slap chips were just regular french fries. 6. The milk tart tasted like chalk. 7. The koeksisters were embarrassing. They were dry pieces of warm dough. Hands down the worse I've had. The prawns and malva pudding were amazing but they rest were very below average.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Amazing restaurant! Contemporary South African cuisine, so the food was interesting but not too exotic as to be intimidating. The food was great, the $12 unlimited mimosas were wonderful, and the actual restaurant was chic in that exposed-brick-NYC style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfoodVIPDined on 6/25/2014The Restuarant which was formerly decorated like an African hut is in the process of being remodeled looks quite bare. The 3 course dinner which according to the web site was $15 which included a glass of wine was inaccurate. Needs to be updated but was told this last year as well and it still has not happened. The food however was quite good and so was the service. Cost was still reasonable, $13 and $5 for a glass of wine. Would return when remodeling is completed.Special Features:
- Great Change of PacejipsVIPDined on 6/23/2014South African cuisine, different..... but not too different. Thoroughly enjoyable, the staff is extremely attentive and prompt. Food is delicious. Love the place when they can open to outdoor. Great place to take clients or to watch the Worl CupSpecial Features:
- Where was Braai??OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We were drawn to the restaurant by their website, which showed a beautiful place. It in fact looked like a bomb shelter. We went as far as water and excused ourselves. Of note also is the fact that this website told us we had to take a 12:30 reservation - none available at Noon as we would have liked. We arrived at 12:15 and the place was DESERTED!!
- Braai - South Africa in NYCManorvilleTstopDined on 6/14/2014Food was authentic and very well prepared. Wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable. Wines were regional and outstanding. Most definitely worth a great visit for somewhat adventurous foodies. We will most definitely be heading back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- virtuesqDined on 6/14/2014Really great place, very cozy with a sleek bar and nice ambiance. The biryani had a few too many mushrooms, but other than that everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I made a reservation at Braai on Friday June 13th. We were seated at a table quickly. When the food came it wasn't ours. The table was shaky so the waitress placed paper under the leg of the table to balance it. I ordered a delicious vegetable biryani, my date ordered a lamb dish. When we got the bill it took awhile for our waitress to return. We had been double charged for dinner which came out to $160!! It was a horrible experience which changed our plans for the night. Our waitress apologized and said the money would return to his card in 3-5 days. I wish we would have been offered something for our inconvenience but we were not. We will not return even though the food and ambience was great.Special Features:
- DisappointingAnonymous1Dined on 6/10/2014Dishes somehow manage to be both dry and fatty. Overpriced. Unauthentic. The ostrich is okay, but all else fails to be good, let alone authentic. Paid, and went to another restaurant to have dinner.
- BonbonDined on 6/8/2014Pictures of the restaurant on its web-site don't match the reality at all - everything is old, not clean and strongly requires repair. Food is so-so, but price is quite high for such level and 18% tips were automatically included in the bill without even asking whether i would like to give them
- Do try ostrichCherpVIPDined on 6/7/2014My husband and I tried ostrich, which was delicious and tasted like beef. The spicy vegetable side dish was also noteworthy. We will return to this establishment when we are in the vicinity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great interior, okay foodmisheeleeDined on 6/6/2014First time I ever tried S.African food was amazing. This place, a bit disappointing. Food: ordered 5 tapas for $42. Honestly, the "special South African meatballs" were just meatballs and the truffle mac & cheese reeked of too much truffle. The ostrich sliders were pretty good, though, and I felt like the sauce that came with the calamari & the empanadas were the only thing worthwhile. Wine: I'm not a wine drinker but if you are, check this place out for their huge back wall of South African wines. Service: A bit slow, but I didn't mind. Very friendly and accommodating. Interior: Super rustic & cute. Careful if you seat by the air conditioning, though, my unit was dripping the whole time. Overall, not bad, but wouldn't necessarily go back.Special Features:
- Different and EnjoyableALSnycVIPDined on 5/31/2014A very authentic South African restaurant with great people working there. We went after theatre and it was not rushed, great Sourh African wines, dark and quiet. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everytime I am in NYCRyanDined on 5/30/2014I come to Braai. It's been 6-7 visits now and it is wonderful every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014When I noted their specialty of South African, I felt it an interesting change of pace. Where else can one get Ostrich Sliders, a very tasty alternative to other foods appealing to carnivores.Special Features:
- Usually reliably goodAdinerDined on 5/22/2014This particular visit my husband ordered the red snapper and hated it. It looked pretty dry. In the past, he has ordered shrimp or their version of barbecue chicken and has enjoyed it. I always order "African Road Runner" (Ostrich) and love it. We shared the grilled octopus appetizer and he didn't like the presentation and thought it chewy. The malva pudding (sponge cake soaked in rum, with ice cream) is a delicious dessert. The service was fine -- timely and responsive. There is a friendly waitress who used to work there who wasn't there that night and we missed seeing her. The atmosphere is really nice. We'll probably go back again but not for a little while.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great wine listvinapunimDined on 5/17/2014great place to try many excellent South African winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServiceSamuelDined on 5/11/2014The Service was great and our server was diligent, our food however was not worth reccommending. Some of the meals and drinks were tremendously over priced. I was very very let down.Special Features:
- Wonderful!LaurenDined on 5/10/2014Braai never ceases to please. The waiters are always on point and the food is delicious. We came here for brunch to celebrate a birthday and had a great time. When we ordered dessert, the waitress said she overhead us wish our friend happy birthday and brought out extra dessert with a candle in it. Very lovely experience. Will dine here again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!WeezieVIPDined on 5/9/2014I really like that there is a decent restaurant in the theater district. I never had salmon that tasted this good. I will order that again when I return.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food from HomeSubsaharanTrendDined on 5/9/2014Being from S. Africa, I jumped at the opportunity to eat at Braai. The food was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who miss home. I was, however, really disappointed with the poor service and hope people can overlook it and enjoy the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch againlovethemeatDined on 5/4/2014It was two of us and I had the vetkoek and mince which was EXCELLENT. So delicious! The side of bacon was a mound and delicious. I only had a lovely beer, but I've had the unlimited drink special in the past and it was always flowing.Special Features: