329 West 51st Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AfricanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.braainyc.com/
- Phone: 2123153315
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sat-Sun: 11:00am-4:00pm
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Armando Martinez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Brandy/Private room available for bookings up to 12 and main dining floor accommodates private functions and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Tarita 2123153315
A word from Braai
Braai (South African for barbeque) is Manhattans only contemporary South African restaurant and brandy bar. Showcasing game meats and a diverse spectrum of culinary influences (Malay, Portuguese, French, Dutch & German) that create the fabric of our rainbow cuisine. Set under a vaulted thatch ceiling and tree trunk lined walls, it brings a little piece of the bush & "braaivleis" to the concrete jungle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Braai reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (19)notable wine list (14)good for groups (8)romantic (8)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Braai Never MissesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/23/2014Back to Braai again with my two sons - ages 25 and 28. We had a brilliant pre-theatre meal with lovely South African wines (we had an exceptional pinotage and a really lovely chardonnay). One son had ribs which were succulent and amazing - my other son and I shared the 9 tapas platter complete with ostrich sliders. sausage and polenta, an amazing eggplant with goat cheese and more. Terrific dessert - and then off to the theatre. I am going out to dinner with a friend this week - can't see any reason not to go to Braai. One of the best values in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what a great meal!onthetownDined on 8/11/2014The food was prepared perfectly. We had the lamb chops and grilled octopus as starters and both were excellent. Prawns in a periperi sauce and the Ostrich filet served as our entrees were incredible. Flavors were well melded, textures exquisite. Not expecting much, were more than pleasantly surprised at how top-notch the meal turned out to be. Service was friendly, attentive and spot-on. Will recommend this restaurant to many.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't look like the websiteGaryPDined on 8/2/2014The Braai website had a photo gallery that did not match the actual restaurant. THe website site showed a brightly decorate cozy dining room. Now everything has been painted white, and it looks dingy and dirty. The Prawns Piri Piri ended up being three overcooked shrimp with a scoop of rice. The staff was very friendly and service was good
- Uneven qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014We arrived early for a quick bite before a show. We were the first table to be seated. The appetizers were very good. The entrees were not. The ribs were so overcooked as to be almost inedible. The glaze on them was good. The only thing that explains it is that the ribs were from one or two nights prior and were just reheated for us. They were absolutely terrible. I believe that had they been properly cooked they would have been good. The other entree we tried was the red snapper. Very mediocre. The skin was a little undercooked and the flesh was a bit overcooked. The flavor was a bit too fishy and the whole dish was lacking flavor. Perhaps that is the style of that preparation, but I would not order it again. The deserts were very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Our server was outstanding. She kept the mimosa's flowing and accommodated our need to be by the air conditioner. The food was reasonably priced. The menu offered a few unique options as well.Special Features:
- Step up your game!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014As a South African, my expectations might have been a little too high. Here's a list of issues that I had: 1. They ran out of brandy. 2. The boerewors was overcooked and very dry. 3. The biltong on the bruschetta was dry and they gave you a very small portion. 4. The lamb on the bunny chow was great but they could have taken the time to remove the fat off the meat. Once I did that it was great. It is supposed to be a spicy dish but wasnt spicy at all. 5. Slap chips were just regular french fries. 6. The milk tart tasted like chalk. 7. The koeksisters were embarrassing. They were dry pieces of warm dough. Hands down the worse I've had. The prawns and malva pudding were amazing but they rest were very below average.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Amazing restaurant! Contemporary South African cuisine, so the food was interesting but not too exotic as to be intimidating. The food was great, the $12 unlimited mimosas were wonderful, and the actual restaurant was chic in that exposed-brick-NYC style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvfoodVIPDined on 6/25/2014The Restuarant which was formerly decorated like an African hut is in the process of being remodeled looks quite bare. The 3 course dinner which according to the web site was $15 which included a glass of wine was inaccurate. Needs to be updated but was told this last year as well and it still has not happened. The food however was quite good and so was the service. Cost was still reasonable, $13 and $5 for a glass of wine. Would return when remodeling is completed.Special Features:
- Great Change of PacejipsVIPDined on 6/23/2014South African cuisine, different..... but not too different. Thoroughly enjoyable, the staff is extremely attentive and prompt. Food is delicious. Love the place when they can open to outdoor. Great place to take clients or to watch the Worl CupSpecial Features:
- Where was Braai??OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We were drawn to the restaurant by their website, which showed a beautiful place. It in fact looked like a bomb shelter. We went as far as water and excused ourselves. Of note also is the fact that this website told us we had to take a 12:30 reservation - none available at Noon as we would have liked. We arrived at 12:15 and the place was DESERTED!!
- Braai - South Africa in NYCManorvilleTstopDined on 6/14/2014Food was authentic and very well prepared. Wait staff was attentive and knowledgeable. Wines were regional and outstanding. Most definitely worth a great visit for somewhat adventurous foodies. We will most definitely be heading back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- virtuesqDined on 6/14/2014Really great place, very cozy with a sleek bar and nice ambiance. The biryani had a few too many mushrooms, but other than that everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I made a reservation at Braai on Friday June 13th. We were seated at a table quickly. When the food came it wasn't ours. The table was shaky so the waitress placed paper under the leg of the table to balance it. I ordered a delicious vegetable biryani, my date ordered a lamb dish. When we got the bill it took awhile for our waitress to return. We had been double charged for dinner which came out to $160!! It was a horrible experience which changed our plans for the night. Our waitress apologized and said the money would return to his card in 3-5 days. I wish we would have been offered something for our inconvenience but we were not. We will not return even though the food and ambience was great.Special Features:
- DisappointingAnonymous1Dined on 6/10/2014Dishes somehow manage to be both dry and fatty. Overpriced. Unauthentic. The ostrich is okay, but all else fails to be good, let alone authentic. Paid, and went to another restaurant to have dinner.
- BonbonDined on 6/8/2014Pictures of the restaurant on its web-site don't match the reality at all - everything is old, not clean and strongly requires repair. Food is so-so, but price is quite high for such level and 18% tips were automatically included in the bill without even asking whether i would like to give them
- Do try ostrichCherpDined on 6/7/2014My husband and I tried ostrich, which was delicious and tasted like beef. The spicy vegetable side dish was also noteworthy. We will return to this establishment when we are in the vicinity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great interior, okay foodmisheeleeDined on 6/6/2014First time I ever tried S.African food was amazing. This place, a bit disappointing. Food: ordered 5 tapas for $42. Honestly, the "special South African meatballs" were just meatballs and the truffle mac & cheese reeked of too much truffle. The ostrich sliders were pretty good, though, and I felt like the sauce that came with the calamari & the empanadas were the only thing worthwhile. Wine: I'm not a wine drinker but if you are, check this place out for their huge back wall of South African wines. Service: A bit slow, but I didn't mind. Very friendly and accommodating. Interior: Super rustic & cute. Careful if you seat by the air conditioning, though, my unit was dripping the whole time. Overall, not bad, but wouldn't necessarily go back.Special Features:
- Different and EnjoyableALSnycVIPDined on 5/31/2014A very authentic South African restaurant with great people working there. We went after theatre and it was not rushed, great Sourh African wines, dark and quiet. Had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everytime I am in NYCRyanDined on 5/30/2014I come to Braai. It's been 6-7 visits now and it is wonderful every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change of paceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014When I noted their specialty of South African, I felt it an interesting change of pace. Where else can one get Ostrich Sliders, a very tasty alternative to other foods appealing to carnivores.Special Features:
- Usually reliably goodAdinerDined on 5/22/2014This particular visit my husband ordered the red snapper and hated it. It looked pretty dry. In the past, he has ordered shrimp or their version of barbecue chicken and has enjoyed it. I always order "African Road Runner" (Ostrich) and love it. We shared the grilled octopus appetizer and he didn't like the presentation and thought it chewy. The malva pudding (sponge cake soaked in rum, with ice cream) is a delicious dessert. The service was fine -- timely and responsive. There is a friendly waitress who used to work there who wasn't there that night and we missed seeing her. The atmosphere is really nice. We'll probably go back again but not for a little while.I would recommend this to a friend.
- great wine listvinapunimDined on 5/17/2014great place to try many excellent South African winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and ServiceSamuelDined on 5/11/2014The Service was great and our server was diligent, our food however was not worth reccommending. Some of the meals and drinks were tremendously over priced. I was very very let down.Special Features:
- Wonderful!LaurenDined on 5/10/2014Braai never ceases to please. The waiters are always on point and the food is delicious. We came here for brunch to celebrate a birthday and had a great time. When we ordered dessert, the waitress said she overhead us wish our friend happy birthday and brought out extra dessert with a candle in it. Very lovely experience. Will dine here again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!WeezieVIPDined on 5/9/2014I really like that there is a decent restaurant in the theater district. I never had salmon that tasted this good. I will order that again when I return.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food from HomeSubsaharanTrendDined on 5/9/2014Being from S. Africa, I jumped at the opportunity to eat at Braai. The food was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially those who miss home. I was, however, really disappointed with the poor service and hope people can overlook it and enjoy the food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch againlovethemeatDined on 5/4/2014It was two of us and I had the vetkoek and mince which was EXCELLENT. So delicious! The side of bacon was a mound and delicious. I only had a lovely beer, but I've had the unlimited drink special in the past and it was always flowing.Special Features:
- SC1111VIPDined on 5/3/2014Food was mediocre, but service was terrible! Went here for drunch and had to ask them maybe 3-4 times to refill even though waitresses noticed our glasses were empty for 15-20. Would not recommend for bottomless brunch because service is so bad.
- The following 725 reviews are from the Braai reviews archive.
- Good food and serviceBajanBoiDined on 5/2/2014I've been to Braai a few times and was never disappointed by the food or the friendly service. Try to Bobotie or the Lamb Bunny Chow and a glass of Pinotage. Heaven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decor took a hit since prior visitsSammDined on 4/30/2014The restaurant is open while undergoing renovations. The ambiance isn't unpleasant, but it's not nearly the same African-Hut feel that it used to have.Special Features:
- South African approvedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/30/2014My husband & I tried this place since he was missing South African food. He just moved in Oct. 2013. We ate so many things on the menu and loved it all. I loved the ambiance -- it looks like a farmhouse in South Africa. I loved seeing ALL South African wines on the menu including all of my favorites. He loved his lamb (most of the lamb on the West Coast tends to be gamey and not as good as East Coast). We both loved it! The staff was attentive and courteous. The price was great too.Special Features:
- BrunchJennifernycDined on 4/26/2014Loved this place! Crab cake eggs Benedict was amazing and they kept refilling our exotic fruit mimosa non stop! Will definitely be going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Variety, Great Foodcms898Dined on 4/19/2014Went here for dinner before a show in the area. Service was very fast and both of the seafood dishes we ordered were great. The coconut dessert was fantastic. Would definitely go back.
- Braai - GREAT pre-theater choiceDinerJ26VIPDined on 4/18/2014Intimate atmosphere, marvelous TAPAS, and a South African wine list, we always choose BRAAI for a wonderful pre-theater dinner.Special Features:
- DisapointingRRiosLDined on 4/17/2014Not even able to enjoy! They call me to cancel my reservation because it was "too late".
- great placeEvega214Dined on 4/13/2014I went here Saturday. Once my food arrived, after a few bites my first thoughts were "I'm coming back soon and can't imagine not ordering this (octopus, lamb chops, green beans) again. I came back the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't pass it byOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014It's easy to walk by this lower level hideout on 51st street - but don't. I went for the first time this past weekend and plan to bring back friends and a date. The brunch was a fantastic deal: 10-15 bucks for a unique South African twist on brunch and lunch classics and 12 bucks for a LEGIT bottomless mimosa - with more than equal parts champagne. The server was efficient, helpful, and quick to refill our glasses within the allotted two hour window. She even gave us one big final pour when the check came. My friend and I lingered with our drinks for a good 45 minutes after our meal and never felt rushed - even with a full house. NOTE: the place may be undergoing some cosmetic changes. It no longer matches earlier photos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinningDinnerDined on 4/4/2014Was a good experience. Great service. Although place was under construction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OxtailLoveSAfoodDined on 4/4/2014Might be the best thing on the menu! Second time coming here and love it more everytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good south african foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/30/2014The Food is good and beyond the usual. You find interesting South African dishes with game meet and spices. As other reviewers have already noted, the interior of the Restaurant Looks definitly not as it is on the Website. The Service can not claim to be among the fastest.I would recommend this to a friend.