Boxwoods - The Mason Inn
4352 Mason Pond Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Boxwoods - The Mason Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.themasoninnva.com/
- Phone: 7038654638x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 6:30am – 10:30am
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Dinner: Served Daily in The Well
The Well Bar and Lounge: Bar Menu offered Daily during designated hours
Monday – Friday 4:00 pm – 11:00 pm*
Saturday & Sunday 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm*
*Hours subject to change
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Nguyen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Mason Inn offers a variety of unique event venues for weddings, social events, receptions, celebratory occasions, formal dinners, and holiday parties in Fairfax, Virginia.
The surroundings are aesthetically pleasing and conducive for creating lasting memories for not just weddings and special events, but for any special occasion.
The hotel will offer many options to highlight social events: Chef’s table, Themed events, Specialty teas and luncheons, Cocktail receptions, Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah, Company outings, Anniversaries, Reunions.
- Entertainment: Join us at our lounge, The Well, to root on your favorite sports team! FOUR flat screen televisions. Try our Cheesy Bacon Fries, Mason Wings with three different sauces, and hand pressed Angus Burger. 5 draft beers and over 15 bottled selections.
- Special Events: Valentine's Day 4 course dinner with Champagne $114 per couple
Easter Sunday Brunch --- call for detail
Mother's Day Brunch --- call for detail
A word from Boxwoods - The Mason Inn
Boxwoods offers a superb dining experience, including the highest level of service, seasonally changing food and drink menus, and a wine list featuring local Virginia wines. Based on our core belief, we utilize sustainable, eco-friendly, and organic foods and beverages. It is our pleasure each day to offer our guests innovative and imaginative cuisine, presented with traditional values and unsurpassed care. In addition to our daily features, our menu highlights signature dishes such as New York strip steak, sea bass, and jumbo lump crab cakes. We believe in using the freshest ingredients, sourced locally, and presented tastefully, while retaining the natural flavors and character that nature has instilled. Open daily to the public for breakfast and lunch. Dinner served daily in The Well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boxwoods - The Mason Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Very niceUnforgettableDined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed it. They were open in spite of being off season just for usSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 103 reviews are from the Boxwoods - The Mason Inn reviews archive.
- Excellent brunchHankDined on 5/11/2014Love eating at Boxwoods for special Easter and Mother's Day brunches.Special Features:
- Mothers Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day Brunch was perfect! The weather was beautiful so we were able to eat on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THANK you.DD20VIPDined on 5/5/2014Such a great asset to the Mason campus. Convenient, consistent and a pleasurable experience.Special Features:
- Easter2x2kidsDined on 4/20/2014My family and I came here for Easter Brunch and was disappointed. the food on the buffet was good but it was not described, since we picked this place based on their "activities" and "food" for children. There was no children's buffet nor EasterBunny as in their advertisement. The food was good, the 2 omelet stations only had 1 station working at any given time. That said - we would probably never go again. Our first waitress ignored us when I asked a question - she kept walking away mid sentence, our second waitress (college student) super nice and helpful.Special Features:
- it was OKChrisDined on 3/29/2014Just a hotel restaurant. Over priced just like they all are. Very poor wait staff. Nice enough just not trained :-/
- A Pleasant SurpriseTEP1VIPDined on 3/22/2014I was looking on Open Table for a place to dine before attending an event at the Patriot Center. This restaurant received good reviews so we decided to give it a try. Usually I'm leery of "hotel" restaurants. Boxwoods was a pleasant surprise. The menu was reasonably priced and they had a nice dinner buffet that offered great value for $18. I had the crabcake sandwich, which was very delicious with a side of mixed fruit. One person in my party ate from the buffet and enjoyed his food and the other person had a burger. This restaurant is out of my usual neighborhood and a little far to just stop by. But I would not hesitate to return the next time I'm going to the Patriot Center.Special Features:
- VCP Business Breakfast MeetingFoodandFunDined on 3/22/2014Great restaurant, wonderful staff and the campus is absolutely perfect for a professional, but, relaxing working meal and fellowship! Food was excellent, wait staff attentive and gracious, price is perfect and with free parking and easy access, a true gem for business and fun related activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and serveTigerseyeDined on 2/21/2014We came in for lunch before walking over to the Patriots Center for the Lady A concert. Service was fast and the food was wonderful. Portions were huge. Everything was fresh and presented lovely. Would eat here and stay here again!Special Features:
- BoxwoodsHisprofDined on 2/15/2014Convenient for events at GMU, but that is all. I had shrimp with grits which were not well done at all. My husband had crab cakes and said ones out of a box tasted better. Caesar salad was very good. Only one other table had diners; we ate our entrees in an empty restaurant. Apparently, the word is out on Boxwoods' mediocrity.
- Best on Campus RestaurantRickGVIPDined on 2/15/2014With the exception of schools in an urban environment, Boxwoods is by far the best restaurant on a university campus where I have dined.I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was ok...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I went on a Valentine's date…it was okay but I the menu to be limiting. The waitstaff was very professional and friendly and didn't do anything wrong, but they came to our table a lot and it made it awkward, too many check-ins. The food was okay but not worth what we paid. I had the lobster and you could tell that it had been frozen before cooking. The chicken skewers had a little bit of a strange flavor, and the caesar salad had too much dressing. I liked the tiramisu for dessert. The wine list was also ok but had a lot of wines that you typically find at the grocery store. I would be fine with that if I wasn't expecting an upscale dinner!Special Features:
- Been Here, Done This. Still GoodLateOTableUserVIPDined on 2/9/2014We only had some sandwiches before a George Mason Performance, but Boxwoods didn't keep our reservation. We had a 1:45pm and were late for it, so Boxwoods sent everybody home. When we arrived, the lady at the bar rushed to get us something to eat prior to the performance. I give her a lot of credit for her hussle and they made great sandwiches. Have been here many times with family and friends, but didn't expect them to shut down on me. In either event, I'd come back because when they are open, the food is pretty good and the service is quite good.
- overpricedDJG2Dined on 2/7/2014Good food, very good service, but there was only one other group the entire night in the restaurant. They're closing in June, and the air of defeat pervades.
- Go here only if trapped at lodgeJimbo20124Dined on 2/1/20147:00 reservation; found the place EMPTY except one other table. Service was very attentive and polite, but the "dead" ambiance really detracted from the experience. About halfway through the meal our sole neighbors departed and a couple with two very loud and demanding toddlers came in. Ambiance was completely shot from there, as the parents inconsiderately let their young ones carry on in the otherwise dead-quiet large dining room. At around 8 the staff started scurrying around the too-brightly-lit room reconfiguring tables for the morning breakfast service. Sorry, but this was tacky, and dashed all illusion that this is anything more than a conference/lodge amenity.... I trust the breakfast buffet in the morning is lovely. Avoid.
- Great place to brunch...isOldTownerDined on 1/12/2014Great place to brunch...is closing in June so go there while you can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The buffet lunch was nicelyLennyVIPDined on 1/10/2014The buffet lunch was nicely displayed. The salad bar and dessert bar had a very good variety of food which were tasty. But the main dishes were average.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013The food was delicious. The staff was good, young, but pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Turkey Day Meal AssessmentFoodandFunDined on 11/28/2013Excellent dining location for a Thanksgiving Brunch. Food variety was quite good offering both the brunch and menu option for diners. The semi-casual atmosphere provided for comfortable dining for all, service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Thanksgiving BrunchVAnativeDined on 11/28/2013First time to Boxwoods. Will likely return to try Sunday Brunch. Service was excellent and staff made you feel welcome. Food was good, not outstanding. Enjoyed that it wasn't overtly crowded at the time we were there so we could talk, visit the buffet, and just relax. Parking was easy and restaurant was open and bright.Special Features:
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2013We went on a night when there was a Keith Urban concert at the Patriot Center and a huge Paul IX fundraiser at the Mason Inn and we were able to find parking quite easily. Try that in DC! Alexandria, or Arlington. The restaurant has a contemporary decor and the menu and wine list are comprehensive. My wife and I had the very tasty Creole Salmon. A large portion of salmon sat atop of Louisana grits and spinach. I am not a huge fan of Virginia wines, but I always wanted to try an offering from Prince Michel vineyards. Their Cabernet Franc was outstanding. The Open Table reservation system worked as advertised. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Brunch placeM1stressDined on 11/17/2013This restaurant is located in George Mason Univ. Away from busy street, easy parking. Natural lighting from large windows. Great place for brunch. Champagne is included. I wish dessert cakes are smaller slices so I could try all of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boxwoods is a nice surpriseIllusionVIPDined on 11/10/2013Lots of choices, lots of outstanding set-up both for breakfast and lunch eaters during the Sunday Brunch offering. The service is good and unassuming and the location - inside Mason Inn is quite nice. There are too many hectic brunch places around and this is not one of them - as the restaurant sits right off Rt.123 and is easily accessible from Route 66.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the ticket!RedheadDined on 11/3/2013I was meeting a friend, she suggested brunch, I had been treated to lunch there for my birthday in April during the week, but had never been there for brunch. With fingers crossed I told my friend about Boxwoods. What a varied selection of both breakfast and lunch items, hot and cold. The fresh fruit was displayed nicely. You couldn't possibly go wrong! Then there were the desserts which all looked very tempting! We tried the peach dish which had something crunchy which looked like tapioca, not sure, but it was touched with a cinnamon flavor and pretty good. My friend had the white cake with a white mousse filling and I settled for the carrot cake. We were not disappointed in our selections at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!WeEatOutVIPDined on 10/29/2013Boxwoods has stepped up its game -- at least when ordering off of the menu (didn't try the salad bar or lunch buffet.) Fresh, grilled salmon was tasty, nicely seasoned and nicely served over a bed of steamed fresh spinach. Servers, mostly GMU students, are cheerful if not quite 4-star polished; you forgive them as you're not paying 4-star prices and they're clearly doing their best. In the past, it's been not worth the price, the effort or the time to bother with Boxwoods. I've been told that their Sunday brunch is now quite good, and, at least lunch mid-week, their kitchen has worked out its issues (both food turnover and preparation.) I'm looking forward to going back soon...
- So Much Good FoodHungryManDined on 10/13/2013We've been to brunch before at Boxwood, so we knew to expect a good time. The brunch menu is amazing. From made to order eggs to salmon, steak, chicken and Mac n cheese. And then there's the deserts. It all tastes great. Service is good. Staff is pleasant. The restaurant like the hotel has a modern flair. It's well lit. The brunch buffet is a bit pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good find on college campusJB2020VIPDined on 10/5/2013the four of us enjoyed our meal prior to the concert - was great to find a place so close and convenient to the hall. everyone was able to select something that appealed to them - two steaks - cooked perfectly and happily so for the guys, crab cakes for the women. I would have preferred more vegetables with the crabcakes so I nabbed some of my steak eater's #I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of the Box at BoxwoodsparkerDined on 9/25/2013Boxwoods is one of my favorite places for lunch with friends. The menu is healthy, varied and just right for lunch. While a buffet is available, I prefer to order off the menu. A wine list of modest priced wines offers a good selection along with beer and non-alcoholic drinks. Service is exceptional and goes about their tasks efficiently and caring. Staff have been trained not to hover over you and indeed allow patrons to dine leisurely and at their own pace. There have been occasions when my guests and I have lingered over coffee, wine or soft drinks and like Europeans, enjoyed fine conversation and the ambience of the dining room for over three hours while not feeling hurried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/11/2013Greatly enjoyed our brunch. Look forward to going back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebration dinnerAllisonPDined on 8/10/2013The food was excellent. The restaurant wasn't busy so the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/10/2013I found this restaurant as a substitute for another one that was booked up and we were pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is located in the Mason Inn Hotel and Conference Center on the George Mason University Fairfax campus. The hotel had low occupancy due to the time of year (Summer), so we had the restaurant to ourselves. Our party of 12 was seated quickly and the food was served in a timely manner. The waiter was attentive and the food was wonderful. I would highly recommend this location for large parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate here twice for breakfast.jemfourDined on 8/8/2013Ate here twice for breakfast. Both times food was blah. Second morning, we kept having to ask for things such as creamer, sugar, satt and pepper which should have been made available automatically. On second morning, we had to wait for buffet to be replenished, almost all the basics - such as eggs, bacon and pancakes were out. Eggs were overcooked and getting cold on the first morning. Staff was pleasant and we were seated promptly. Restaurant was in hotel we were staying at so the biggest plus was the convenience.
- George Mason U. SleeperparkerDined on 7/2/2013Boxwoods is a GMU sleeper near the heart of Fairfax. An excellent place for lunch with a seasonal menu, great service and very pleasant decor. I lunch there regularly and always find the cuisine good and the service of the highest quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Patriot Center Events!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2013We booked our reservation with the Mason Inn for dinner before my daughters high school graduation. The staff did a great job - seated us quickly, put us in a lovely private room, and were very attentive. We explained that we needed to be at the Patriot Center by a certain time, and they managed our meal to schedule. Presentation of the food was lovely, and everyone at our table was pleased with their selections. Well done!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2013We booked a table for a party of eight before our son's graduation at the Patriot Center. We thought the location would be ideal and didn't expect much from the food. We were pleasantly surprised! Everyone ordered a different food item and the dishes were terrific! Our server was okay, friendly but not extremely attentive. It didn't matter. We had a great dinner before a special occasion so we would return. The outdoor patio seating seemed especially appealing. We will return for sure!Special Features:
- We sat at tables outside inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2013We sat at tables outside in the courtyard (we waited a few minutes for them to set them up) but it was a beautiful setting and the food choices were great for our mixed group of adults and teenagers at a graduation lunch. Everyone really enjoyed it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Group ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/18/2013Nine of us had exceptionally good service. We had four or five different menu items, all of which were acceptable or better. Given that we enjoyed a fair numbe of items from the bar, prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a Review for Outdoor DiningCharleighDined on 5/17/2013I probably wouldn't like the inside as it was very "hotel-looking," -- It is an Inn after all, but the small outdoor patio was absolutely perfect. My parents were in town for graduation at GMU, and I wanted a nice place to introduce them to my boyfriend. This place was perfect as my graduation was at the Art Center, and we had an early dinner at Boxwoods. The outdoor seating was comfortable with trees and except for a little noise from the road, it was pretty quiet. Perfect for all the introductory conversation. Service was alright, food was quite good, and overall it was just a very nice, outdoors early dinner (5pm) place. If you have stuff to do on campus, this is a good option, otherwise I can see why people might choose elsewhere..Special Features:
- Great Sunday Brunch BuffetOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/12/2013Quality of food and ambience are very high. Good variety. Great place to bring guests with different tastes. Egg dishes were particularly good as were the "appetizer" foods (smoked salmon, tomato & mozarella, olives, etc.). Good variety of desserts. For us, it has become a Mothers' Day tradition (book early).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/12/2013Went here for Mother's Day brunch. It is in a hotel / convention center so I was hoping that it wouldn't be bad. I was pleasantly surprisef. The food was great, it was clean and the service was good. I will definitely try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.