Box and Bells
5912 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Box and Bells
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.boxandbells.com/
- Phone: (510) 923-2000
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 10pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Happy Hour: Wednesday-Sunday 4:30pm-6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Ben Coe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Box and Bells
Box and Bells is an eating and drinking house located in the Rockridge neighborhood of Oakland California. Our cooking is spirited and always intended to be accompanied by a well made cocktail, glass of wine or a shot and a beer. As Ernest Hemingway said "I drink to make people more interesting". Welcome to Box and Bells.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Box and Bells reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (32)good for groups (22)special occasion (20)vibrant bar scene (17)hot spot (15)romantic (12)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Cappuccino != MacchiatoGastronautVIPDined on 11/23/2014It's a bad sign when the bartender says that to you during brunch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AWDogVIPDined on 11/21/2014Llmited menu, extremely noisy, food fair And expensive for what it is.
- I will returnbwaksDined on 11/20/2014great: devil eggs, smoked almonds, pork belly salad, burger with super fries, succulent whey brined roast chicken..quite nice fish stew, all desserts especially pear tart tatin sumptuous...only flaw which our group of 8 concurred on was a way too salty poutine (fries with gravy and cheese curds) very nice to have the 1 year anniversary prices (like Happy Hour) attractive spot & a competent waiter manSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limited menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014It took 20 minutes after we were seated to order drinks. There were only 5 entrees on the menu and a not very robust appetizer selection either. The quality of the burger was very good but the fries were thin and more like potato sticks.Special Features:
- OtownyolksterDined on 10/31/2014Not worth it. $17 hamburger? Too many other great places to eat in Oakland.
- B&B rocks, again!!!MotownJoeVIPDined on 10/30/2014Jason, General Manager, and his fantastic team (chefs, waiters and bartenders) continue to amaze and delight! Dinner was exceptional and their attention to detail was outstanding! Simply amazing!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/24/2014Decent overall but hardly inventive. Three or four main course options - one of which was a hamburger.
- Expensive and small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2014We went with friends and we thought the portion size compared to the price was not so good. The food was great but we needed snacks when we got home. The wine was expensive also. We thought it was a pretty atmosphere.Special Features:
- DisappointingLRoadsVIPDined on 10/17/2014We have been here several times. This visit was not even close to prior experiences. Both food and service were lacking. Not sure if we'll go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/15/2014Nice new flavors. Enjoyed dinner with the family. Good cocktail.Special Features:
- Slow service on a slow nightGastronomer1VIPDined on 10/15/2014We went there for dinner during the week on a slow night (5 or 6 other tables). Yet after ordering and waiting for 10 minutes, we were told that one of the dish that was in a menu was an error and was not available; after another 10 minutes we were informed that one of the dish would take another 25 minutes and had to change our orders since we had some time constraints. The food was good but the portion small for the main course (fish).
- Wow factordisappointedVIPDined on 10/10/2014The food is sublime: pork belly in grits can not be missed. The roast chicken is insanely moist and flavorful. The thyme creme brule is a destination item unto itself.Special Features:
- Will Be Back.....hard2plsDined on 10/5/2014Last minute choice for two couples....Seating outside was a blessing since the weather has been warm. Very pleasant and quieter than inside. All of our menu choices were delicious! Especially loved the warm squash salad and we ordered extras on the deviled eggs! Our waiter was well informed on all of the menu choices when we asked for further description and the food presentation was pleasing.Special Features:
- So disappointedAmelieVIPDined on 10/4/2014I was so excited to visit this year-old restaurant in the heart of Rockridge's gourmet ghetto, and it couldn't have been worse. From the weak, trying too hard to be couture drink menu, wines from god knows where with no taste, beers in cool looking containers yet unsatisfactory..To the appetizers our table of 6 tried, fried chicken with oyster sauce, caprese with just a few tomatoes and a sprig of basil and the hushpuppies with sorrano ham were sad. The main courses actually were the tipping point. Greasy duck breast, tasteless sole, hamburger no lettuce, tomato or onion (too ordinary?) the pomme frites looked like they were the remnants of another order, overall, poor. Thank god for the good company at the table...
- Great food but slow serviceGBearVIPDined on 10/3/2014Will probably try the place again but first shot wasn't impressive on the service. Our waitress was polite and checked in on us appropriately after being pretty slow to check if we wanted drinks initially. The food delivery times were quite long though and it was really a long time from appetizers to main courses. The burger is highly recommended as it's excellent on the pretzel bun and the medium rare was also perfectly medium rare. So good! The duck was also really good.
- Solid Rockridge OptionOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/2/2014I had been here once before and just had the burger in the bar area. This time we made a reservation, and still ended up in a corner table in the bar area. Service was fine, though not terribly attentive. Good options on the menu. The three of us split a bunch of small plates (the ham of the day, fried chicken, a couple of salads) and then split the hangar steak and potato frites. All quite tasty, though the steak was quite rare, considering we'd ordered it medium rare. Good cocktails. We skipped dessert since they were out of chocolate mousse.Special Features:
- We will be back !DawnDined on 9/30/2014Fried chicken was delicious ! ditto the pommes frites ! The portions were perfect - not overwhelming, but not tiny. the huckelberry crisp with horchata gelato was yummy too ! this place has a very nice ambience - and good beer and spirits list ! prob wine also - but didn't look at thatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehLunaDined on 9/26/2014The restaurant is beautiful, the service is good but the food isn't. Overall you get dishes that are nicely presented but something's always off. We ordered fries and the texture was amazing but they were so salty we had to send them back. Then we ordered the steak tartare which had thicker lumps of meat... Honestly that was kind of gross. I've been eating steak tartare my entire life and it's never had chunks of meat in it. Then we ordered the halibut and we were disappointed. It was bland, there was no sauce with it just some beans and capers.Special Features:
- roobrewDined on 9/25/2014The best thing about the restaurant was the waitress who was warm and present. Mixed experience. Loved the interesting combinations of ingredients but somehow they felt like a scientific combo rather than inspired. Each dish was very good but something felt missng. How can a cauliflower salad with wonderful ingredients seem so bland? I wanted to love the restaurant but left a bit disappointed-a bit overpriced, small portions and no perfect dish. I love his other restaurants so may try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun place!SpectorVIPDined on 9/24/2014We ate again (fourth time since opening) at Box & Bells the other night and were very pleased with both food and service. What a nice casual restaurant! We had oysters (which were very fat, fresh and tasty, with a nice garnish), deviled eggs (tasty as well and the look of them was surprisingly high-end), cauliflower salad (very light and subtly flavored), squid (nicely cooked (tender not rubbery) with a fine spicy overlay, which all went well with a nice bottle of french burgundy, and a dessert with huckleberries and a couple of interesting digestifs. All told a nice, well-paced meal at a decent price. Only drawback for me was that is is LOUD inside. Will go back.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestlunchieDined on 9/23/2014We went for dinner: the drinks were blah, the deviled eggs tasteless, the oysters warmish with far too much granita piled on them and shell crumbs in the oyester shell. The sand dabs were beautifully cooked but had not been properly trimemd for cooking and the bean and chantarelle accompaniment was ill thought out. The hamburger was not very good and Denny's on a bad day would be ashamed of the fries.. A creme brulee had ill thought out figs lumpily in the custard. Expensive,; service so-so; food, well one can do better and within 50 feet!Special Features:
- Unfortunate servicerocky0Dined on 9/19/2014This place is nice, good food and menu, current, and killed by untrained, unresponsive, service. You hate it when your server checks in too often, but when they are consistently not there when you want them, and every single item, from drinks, to ordering, to food your wondering where your server is. To make it worse, the manager and host were around us constantly and did not respond to our craning our necks to find some help. We'd like this place but they clearly don't have their act together on service and I hope they realize this and fix it.Special Features:
- fish bad, hamburger goodPaulDined on 9/14/2014fillet of sole - very bad, undercooked, not filleted. Hamburger excellent. Other food medium. Not worth the cost. Eating in the outdoor area was very pleasant on a fall evening.Special Features:
- Cute and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014Came here for brunch and food was delicious although there weren't a lot of choices for brunch what we got was good. Sat in the patio area which was really cute and cozy. Will definitely come back to try dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and a ShotAFungVIPDined on 9/13/2014This was my 2nd time at Box and Bells and its only improved. The menu seems expanded and more choices for those less meat adventurous eaters. Oysters, Deviled Eggs, Heirloom Tomato Salad, Steak. All great. It has a really nice neighborhood vibe.Special Features:
- horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/6/2014went with a group of gals, we were appalled by the service- our server was SO rude. we payed the tab after one drink and appetizer and left
- what's up?OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014we arrived on time, early for a Saturday and were seated at a tiny table by the window despite lots of empty tables. maybe our wait person had a bad day but she was perfunctory at best. no intro, no sense of place established at all. opportunity missed. we most likely won't return.Special Features:
- Great spot!BerkeleyFoodloverVIPDined on 9/5/2014We really enjoyed our first visit to Box & Bells. The menu is small but very well thought out, and everything was executed perfectly. The flavors were distinct and intense, and the combinations worked very well indeed. We particularly liked the Monterey squid, the deviled eggs, the burger, and the ribs. Looking forward very much to a return visit soon!Special Features:
- Box and Bells happinessOdieDined on 9/4/2014Best service we have had in Berkeley/Okaland in a long time. Drinks were great, food was unexpeted and good, but service was superb! We will go back just to be taken care of in such a thoughtful and generous way.Special Features:
- Box & BellsElsieDined on 9/4/2014Although the food was very good. The service was spotty. No one ever offered to take a drink order and I don't think the same person came to our table twice. The music was too loud and annoying for dinner.Special Features:
- Food DisappointsesippelDined on 9/2/2014This is my third time at the restaurant. The first time we visited, the menu was outstanding with bold interesting flavors and ingredients. The last two times, the menu has been more pedestrian.
- Don't rush melynandersenDined on 8/30/2014I thought that the service was quite rushed. We didn't even get out cocktails when they delivered the appetizers and then wanted to bring on the salad before the appetizers were completed and we had only one sip of the drink! We told them to slow way down - we were dining not wolfing. Food was great, however.Special Features:
- Box and Bells yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014We loved it. We ordered a lot of different dishes and shared - everything we had was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodluverVIPDined on 8/29/2014Nice buzz without being so noisy you have to raise your voice. Specialty drinks were great. All our food was well-prepared and tasty. The hamburger and fries were fanatastic - the burger was very light and flavorful.Special Features:
- Box & BellsAITCHPEEBEDined on 8/29/2014WE ATE IN BACK, OUTSIDE, SO THIS REVIEW IS LIMITED TO THAT EXPERIENCE. NO VIEW, URBAN YARD, BUT EXCELLENT DESIGN, VERY ROOMY, OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE. INSIDE WAS MORE CROWDED, WARM FOR US, AND RATHER NOISY. OUR EXPERIENCE WAS TRULY OUTSTANDING, BUT EXPENSIVE; LITTLE PLATES ADD UP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well-crafted dinnerLindaDDined on 8/29/2014The food is a bit pricey but exceptionally well prepared so worth it. The sparkling white pinot noir was great. Very tasty deviled eggs. The petrale sole was absolutely delicious. It was a whole fish (sans head) and they offered to bone it for me but it was very easy to do myself. My husband had the hanger steak which was also delicious. We split the plumcot strudel with vanilla gelato. Very crispy and tart perfectly blended with the gelato. The restaurant is quite noisy when busy, which it was when we were there on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/29/2014Great drinks, waitress, grilled squid, spot prawns, pork chop. Frites were so so, hanger steak OK. Patio was wonderful place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RJ44VIPDined on 8/28/2014This time around couldn't ask for anything more! oysters with frozen tabasco sauce and calamari were fresh and well prepared, ribs and burger tasty and delicious. Raspberry strudel more a tart than strudel but good.Special Features:
- Sunday eve and chef ?awayPollyVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten here several times but sun eve food was not nearly as good as I. The past. Maybe chefs. Ite off heirloom salad so small and not best tomatoes . Fried chicken , fair, ribs ok, not great. Wine list expensive We will go again and see if we just hit a bad niteSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014The halibut was cooked to perfection. My Brother enjoyed his skirt steak and side of fries. Dessert & drinks also amazing. Staff very helpful with recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.