Bowery Bar and Grill
40 East 4th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bowery Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bbarandgrill.com/
- Phone: (212) 475-2220
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 4:30pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:30pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 4:30pm - 12am;
Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, American
- Executive Chef: Mr Chef Ross Gill III
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering Options are available
A word from Bowery Bar and Grill
New York's landmark East Village American bistro, open air garden and brunch favorite is now on Open Table!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bowery Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (23)great for brunch (17)great for lunch (13)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (8)fit for foodies (8)romantic (7)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Went for Saturday lunch. Restaurant has a good buzz. Food was great. Especially the warm banana bread they bring to start. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch was tastyHappylocalDined on 11/16/2014All the food was really good but this doesn't get 5stars because the Bloody Mary was really weak. For the price the size should have been a pint glass with more flavor and zip vs a small watered down version. The frittata and breakfast pizza were both awesome and our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we needed before the show at the PublicjaccoDined on 11/12/2014Quiet, good food, good selection of beers on tap, staff satisfactory.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFabulousFoodie19VIPDined on 10/29/2014We had a pre-theater dinner before going to a show at The Public last night. I was so disappointed. Cannot remember when I last had such a bad meal in NY and it was my birthday. Really boring smoked salmon pizza with soggy dough and I think slices of something green on the top. I had tuna sashimi which was fine but unimaginatively served and with grated carrot and a side of spinach which was over cooked and nothing special. Place is pretty and fun and atmospheric. Service fine. And wine average. Probably best as a late night bar spot but food really poor.
- Interesting space, good foodMarcusDined on 10/23/2014This space always strikes me as contemporary designer having gone wild in a huge abandoned old New York mechanics' garage (I appreciate the exposed old wooden rafters). The food is usually good to very good, and if you get there early the sound level is moderate or better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood GemhashtagfooderpDined on 10/10/2014I've walked by this restaurant so many times during the day and night and I became more inclined to try it out. From the outside, their enclosed garden dining area looks so quaint but as you actually enter the terrace it feels like you're entering a new world. The lanterns hanging about the trees, the small yet cute bar area, and lounge area definitely make this the place to be for a night of casual drinks with friends. Although I am not yet 21, it was still just as nice to be having some tasty food under these trees and glowing hanging lights. Their burgers are fantastic and I highly recommend them. The lamb burger may not sound that interesting but trust, me as someone who is not a huge fan of lamb, it was definitely worth getting.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceJP1980Dined on 9/20/2014I've been to the Bowery Bar several times and usually had a good experience. This time, I went with a friend for an 8:30 reservation (even though there were plenty of seats). We both ordered food and my friend ordered a glass of wine. The waitress was checking in frequently, clearly wanting us to order more drinks. Our plan was to order dessert and perhaps more drinks after we finished our food, but when I asked for my leftovers to be wrapped up, the waitress seemed annoyed and literally dropped the box back on our table along with the bill. While we could have added to our bill, we decided it was clear we were being asked to move on so we went to get dessert and drinks at another restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cshap3Dined on 8/30/2014We were unexpectedly and pleasantly surprised. I needed a restaurant close to LaMama on 4th Street and this was a perfect location. We were able to find parking nearby and felt very welcomed. We sat in the garden.....perfect setting to be outdoors, but not on the street....and were surprised when we walked inside to find a whole other beautiful restaurant that we would love to come back to in colder weather. Very good experience.Special Features:
- Fun and TastyTKS1VIPDined on 8/28/2014Food was very good. Atmosphere was lively but still okay for kids. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great outdoor diningEstherDDined on 8/16/2014Great place to go if you have a small dog as you can eat outside. The food was good, waiting service was also good but the front of house guy let it down by being a bit vacant and inattentive.Special Features:
- really chilljrm9010Dined on 8/1/2014went with friends, we all enjoyed our meals and the fact that it's open was very relaxing. Bar is also good for late night sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBarKYinDCVIPDined on 7/26/2014I recently had my 23rd birthday here. BBar was very accommodating for my group of 15. The food was good, the drinks were great, and the prices were pretty good considering the neighborhood and the popularity of this bar on a Saturday night. The staff kept up with all of us very well.Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Bowery Bar and Grill reviews archive.
- Nice spot. Bland foodVincentDined on 7/26/2014Went for brunch. The food is bland.pancakes were overly fried, tasted like oil. Just got 2 bites and abandoned. My boyfriend got the burger: nothing special and disappointing fries. Won t go again
- Great spot for a dateGS225Dined on 7/18/2014This is a great spot to bring a date. It has a casual but upbeat atmosphere. The food was good and moderately priced and I had no issues at all with the staff. It was well lit but not to bright and the noise level was about average. They have both outdoor and indoor seating, however on a warm spring/summer night you better get there early as it gets packed. We arrived about 20 minutes early for a reservation so we grabbed a drink at the bar to hang out while they got set up.Special Features:
- Amazing food but too loud...sylbakersDined on 7/11/2014The veggie and lamb burgers and the chickpea fries were unbelievably good and the outdoor space is unique. Though, it was hard to have a normal conversation at a table with two other friends because it was very loud (we were even sitting outside for dinner). Good experience over all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good timesMercedesMDined on 6/26/2014I went to watch a World Cup game and it was the perfect place because it was indoor/outdoor so it never felt too packed. If I had been at an indoor bar/restaurant only it might have felt overcrowded and claustrophobic. I really enjoyed the food and LOVED the margaritas!!! After my first I had to have a couple more. It's probably one of the best margaritas I've ever had. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014Some friends and I chose this place recently to be able to sit outside and eat, but unfortunately it started storming when we got there. The food was good - nothing special. We got the roasted beet salad, the grilled salmon salad (even though we actually ordered the tuna nicoise salad), an asparagus pizza, and key lime pie for dessert (probably the best part). The service was pretty bad, because it took forever to get our food (the waiter didn't check in much or give us an update) and we didn't even get the right food. I'd be willing to give this place another chance on a sunny day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for brunchmgeeDined on 6/14/2014Finding a brunch place in the village that takes reservations is impossible- the ambience was great, the service was exceptional, they had a smoking section! overall, extremely pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarryDined on 5/18/2014It was my first time there and its a really nice place.Special Features:
- Used to be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014First of all the service is so bad. Our waitress came by after a minute of us sitting asking if we want drinks and are we ready to order. We weren't ready and asked if she could come back in a few minutes. Well, she completely disappeared and twenty minutes goes by and no one came. We had to flag someone down. The food is mediocore. I've been coming here since '96 and definitely used to be much better all around.Special Features:
- Great girls night outLiz1Dined on 4/24/2014My girlfriends and I have a monthly GNO and like to find unique restaurants and this one fit the bill. It's open and airy, has a working fireplace and makes you feel like you're far away from the stress of NYC but is still in a great part of NYC. Definitely a place for friends to get together. The food was delicious!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, terrible serviceKiraDined on 4/19/2014My friends and I came here on a Saturday night, and it was not overly busy. We sat in the outdoor area and the mix of indoor and outdoor elements was lovely. It was animated but not overly noisy, fresh but very comfortable. We ordered guacamole which was fresh and tasty, and we all received burger which were juicy and cooked to our specifications. The service, however, soured the whole experience. After we ordered the guacamole, our server disappeared for 25 minutes, and I had to walk around the whole restaurant before I found him and asked him to take our order. My friend was very thirsty and it was very difficult to order more drinks. Our server was very nice to us when he was there, but his elusiveness made our experience frustrating.Special Features:
- My food was unfortunatelysm86VIPDined on 4/13/2014My food was unfortunately kind of cold, however my friends didn't have any problems with their food. The complementary banana bread provided with our brunch was delicious. A great spot to eat outdoors, but just know that a reservation doesn't guarantee you outdoor seating - once you check in for your reservation you will then be put on a waitlist if you want to eat outside.Special Features:
- Great decorKateDined on 3/21/2014Did not love my food (truffle fries; caesar salad) however my boyfriend got the mussels and they were phenomenal. Would go back for the environment (fireplace in the middle of the room) and to sit outside in the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome for our big groupfishorangesDined on 3/8/2014I only made a reservation for 5 and they accommodated all 7 of us with a smile. The space is huge, the service was great (even with our large party), the menu is eclectic, and the food was great! My choice for brunch always!Special Features:
- Merchant's House Munchie SpotdrrhondaDined on 1/30/2014Needed a place nearby the Merchant's House Museum so we checked OpenTable and found the B Bar. We had a great time. The food was good and the service was wonderful. The other room had a fireplace which looked like a great place to spend some time on a chilly NYC evening. They didn't rush us out either and were happy to pack up the leftovers for us to take home. We will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful garden, sparkling lightsJeanneVIPDined on 1/19/2014This is a perennial favorite spot for me. For any meal, lunch, brunch, dinner. Special occasions. Food is reliably good, and the setting, with comfortable booths, a garden for any weather, and sparkling fairy lights at night, is fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well past it's primeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/17/2014The formerly chic spot was great even few years ago, but seems to have fallen inky neglect. There are so many better places nearby with good service and food. Very disappointing.
- Wonderful dinner, great locationLanafoodieVIPDined on 1/17/2014Great ambiance delicious food and drinks. But slow service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great DrinksBryNycVIPDined on 1/5/2014Nothing overly special to mention... Prices would make you believe you should have a "finer" presentation...but don't expect that. Food is great, Drinks are great...Gin,Gin,Mule is my favorite!Special Features:
- SO disappointedkaypurVIPDined on 12/8/2013We joined friends for a birthday brunch, and this has been one of their favorite spots in their neighborhood. The restaurant itself is in a refurbished garage and is a very neat space. The food sounded better than it was, when it finally came. We were served almost an hour after we arrived, and about 1/2 hour after people who came in much later than us. I think our waiter somehow forgot to put in our order. The rest of the staff seemed to be trying to cover his ineptness, but at this point, they should have comped our meals. I ordered a brunch dish with eggs, salmon and spinach that came in a small ramekin and poured out as much as half of what the ramekin held because there was so much water in the dish.
- A Great LocalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013In the grand tradition of "The Local" as we find them in the UK and Europe. A neighborhood meeting place for friends where one can always claim a certain table as one's own and rely on the moderately priced fare and wine list. Lively without being overwhelmingly noisy. Dine among a mix of downtown intellectuals, aspiring actors and models, the famous, families, and old friends. Expansive, high ceiling interior, leading to a conservatory-like section with a two way central fireplace and a large, plant-filled terrace beyond. On the edge of East 4th Street Theater Row, a great spot for pre or post performance dining. Come for the atmosphere and stay for the food which is always reliably good and service that is friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick Bite Before Blue MenOTReviewsDined on 11/23/2013This reservation was for a quick bite to eat before we headed to see the Blue Men at Astor Place at 2:00pm. It's a little hard to find the door into this restaurant, but once we were in everything went swimmingly. Two adults and two young teens for lunch, and everyone raved about their food. Service was prompt and accurate; no problems whatsoever. I imagine this place is great in the summertime; it has a very open layout. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodConnieDined on 11/16/2013I have dined here several times. Very good food and service and reasonable prices. Very convenient to the Public Theatre. We had reservations for a party of 4 and , after appetizers, two friends joined us. The staff was very accommodating and added a table to ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think the place is a victimOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/16/2013I think the place is a victim of its own success. It is quite popular and so they think they can be lousy. This is very disappointing as I used to like the place. Went there for a brunch on Saturday and as I suggested everything was a bit lousy - lousy service (they prefer to chat to each other rather than serving people, not bringing forks and knives with dishes...), lousy drinks (can you really spoil Bloody Mary? They were able), lousy food (ok, you failed and burned a muffin so it is hard and black, why don't you do another one - it is so simple, just do not bring it to your customer like that).
- Lovely setting for brunch in SohoJschreibVIPDined on 10/27/2013Our friends who live in the neighborhood recommended the Bowery Bar and Grill for brunch. The outdoor setting was lovely. I liked the menu and was not disappointed in my order of huevos rancheros. Everyone else was pleased with their order. The only downside was the coffee--flavorless and a bit bitter. A member of our group sent back her specialty coffee as not what was ordered. Actually, she may have been confused in what the drink was supposed to look like. The wait staff tried to be accommodating but you could sense her displeasure. Call it a draw. I would recommend this as a nice place to get together with friends. Request the outside seating on a nice day as preferable to the indoor bar.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingBrandiDined on 10/20/2013I've been wanting to try this place for a long time. Unfortunately we were all disappointed. The service was pretty slow and the server actually brought someone in the group the wrong dish and by the time he came back to check he had decided just to eat what was given to him. The food was ok and cocktails are expensive. I had a 9$ Bloody Mary which I did like. What I did like was the outdoor space (it's an open space with an open ceiling). It was also a large space and not too crowded which is rare in tr city. Overall we were disappointed.Special Features:
- Nice place - pity about the serviceFrankieDined on 9/29/2013Great opportunity to dine outdoors. Brunch classics are tasty. Service is inattentive...a pity.Special Features:
- Fabulous find in the city!kdawnDined on 9/21/2013We were do happy with our choice! The atmosphere is great. Open air seating - walls, but no roof. (There is a section under cover in case of rain.) Plenty of trees to keep you shady in the day and cozy at night when they light the lanterns. Service was very warm and attentive. Food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2013I've been here a ton of times. Its a great go to spot for any sort of large group. As long as you give them a bit of notice, they're almost always accommodating. Service can be a little slow, and the food is nothing spectacular, but its always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.