2350 M St. NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.boveda-dc.com/
- Phone: (202) 448-1000x
- Hours of Operation:
MON-FRI 6:30 am - 10:45 am
SAT-SUN 7:00 am - 10:45 am
MON-FRI 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
MON-FRI 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
MON-THU 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
FRI 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Our limited menu is available at BOVEDA
SAT-SUN 11:00 am - 3:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please contact Cristina Cravedi at (202) 393 -3223 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an inquiries.
A word from Boveda
Properly chaotic, casual, and affordable, this speakeasy-style restaurant and bar is the clandestine venue for eclectic music, unique cocktails, and inspired modern South American and Latin-American dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boveda reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- MercDined on 10/18/2014Strange menu, but the food was very good. The chips and guacamole cost $15, which irked me. The large guacamole was about enough for 8 chips. And the server told us they didn't have salsa, which is so strange, especially considering he brought some out after a round of pleading.Special Features:
- The following 44 reviews are from the Boveda reviews archive.
- convenient locationBenGDined on 5/6/2014service was polite; food was mediocre. There are much better restaurants in the immediate area.
- Great PlaceWineEnthusiastDined on 4/26/2014Great food, good service (though the waiter may have been slightly new/enthusiastic/nervous), we received a complementary taste of Stella's new beer. The atmosphere is really cool. Great bar, gorgeous bathrooms.Special Features:
- Good mealFoodieDined on 4/19/2014Was quiet but not out of choice. In westin hotel. Went because of convenience as we were staying at westin. Needed more veggie choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchCapHillDudeVIPDined on 3/29/2014Love the food here, but the service could be a bit quicker, since it's bottomless and endless. The restaurant was empty, but I still was having to look around for our server for additional items and drinks. The dishes are worth the wait tho! Love the food, and will be back!Special Features:
- Brunch is tapas!NGrandVIPDined on 3/22/2014I went to brunch with 4 people when there were only 3 other tables in the restaurant. The service was not very attentive. Also, when we were contemplating the all you can eat option along with the all you drink the server failed to mention that the entrees al la carte were all tapas. Definitely worth doing the all you can eat since the tapas may leave you unsatisfied. However, they run an all or nothing deal. Everyone has to order all you can eat. Everyone has to order all you can drink. Food was tasty though.
- Disappointing experienceRSP0VIPDined on 3/17/2014The food was disappointing. Steak tacos came cold with hardly any toppings on them. My husband and a friend ordered medium steaks - both came rare. Overall the quality of food was not very good, especially considering the prices. The ceviche tuna appetizers was quite good. Recommend pisco sour.
- Solid food, solid drinksAJinVADined on 3/15/2014The food was delicious, and the drinks were spectacular (though the sangria blanca is very very sweet). It's nothing too fancy, and a bit overpriced, but tasty nonetheless. It's a good place to enjoy a meal before a movie at West End CinemaI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceCandiDined on 3/15/2014Met friends here...quiet enough so we could talk, good food and attentive service.Special Features:
- would return!KellerDined on 2/16/2014We choose Boveda because it was close to our hotel and while it was not very crowded, our meal was excellent. I had the pork carnitas and they were delicious and I would order them again. Also had the tomatoe salad which was awesome. The restaurant is beautiful with stone and wood decor. Looking forward to another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced for the portion sizeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014My wife and I went here on a Saturday night the day after valentines day. We arrived around 7:45 to find out they were out of there white sangria, so I ordered the red after my first glass my wife and I ordered a half pitcher. The waiter then told us that was the last if the red sangria as well (not sure why a restaurant rumba out if one of there staple drink on a Saturday at 8:00pm). We then ordered 2 entres off the menu thinking we were going to share them but when they were brought out they were smaller than expected and WAY OVERPRICED, although the food was delicious you would have to spend a fortune to get a complete meal.
- The pollo en mole was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014The pollo en mole was excellent. The meat melts in your mouth and the plantain were very tasty. The seafood also was very good. Friendly staff and prompt service. I recommend the pisco sours too.Special Features:
- Valentine's Daykevster01Dined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I went to Boveda for Valentine's Day. There wasn't too much of a crowd and got our table right away. Our server was very nice, but given the occasion, I'm not sure he is usually waiting tables. There was some confusion and my girlfriend and I both got the same entree, despite ordering different items. We didn't mention anything since we were starving and not too picky. The food was excellent, especially the tuna ceviche and the arroz con leche. The sangria was very good and the best drink I've had in a while was a complimentary creamy, white concoction. Overall, I'd recommend Boveda for a weekly dinner night out or for drinks and some lite food. I was hoping for something a little more for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reason it's a 1,000 point tableItsallaboutdauDined on 2/9/2014Location was great however the food was laughable (even the waitress giggled in embarrassment when she set out order on the table). Our bill came to over $80 and I we had to go to another restaurant for an actual meal. Portions were extremely small and not even good. Mixed drinks were also very weak. Overall, a huge waste of money and I'm surprised it's attached to the Westin.
- OutstandingGirlsBrunchDined on 2/1/2014The food and service was phenomena. Definitely recommend the brunch special -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AtmospherePatrickVIPDined on 1/24/2014We tried several menu items and liked them all. The carnitas were particularly good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A corporate restaurant tries hardKikiDined on 1/17/2014Food was pretty good, but absolutely unremarkable. Presentations were nice, but the implementation didn't quite match the ambition. Sauce on one of the dishes was oversalted, fingerling potatoes on another - on the cusp of being underdone, tomatoes in tomato salad were hard and without flavor. One dessert was a very strange arroz con leche. Tables too small - bar size. Service pretty good, but a little intrusively over-eager. Very noisy: they seem to be trying to be a latin night club with good food aiming at the younger World Bank and embassy crowd. Had a pleasant enough meal but somewhat disappointed. For restaurant week, we expect to eat really, really well. If this is Boveda's best shot, it needs to try harder.
- Southwestern brunchTahiaVIPDined on 12/8/2013Good brunch. Inexpensive for the area. Nice waitress.Special Features:
- Small setting with small platesDebinSTLVIPDined on 10/27/2013While I do think their menu items are rather over priced, we did enjoy everything we ordered. The service was very good with the staff being very attentive. It was very nice to order a variety of times for our table to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchDCDinerVIPDined on 10/27/2013Went for brunch, we were relatively early and there were only 2 other diners there but they had already run out of some entrees. The bartender wasn't able to make some of the drinks on the menu either. Overall disappointing but not horrible. We tried nearly everything available on the menu and there were only 2 or 3 dishes that were quite good, otherwise the food was fair.
- Great Latin food and musicRyanDined on 10/18/2013I've spent the last year in Miami and back and forth from various Latin American countries. I was so happy with this place. First the knew how to make a Pisco Sour which I could not even find in Miami. Second they had a new twist on Chicharon that I had never had that my wife and I loved and man I love all this pork and bacon like. It really is a great blend of foods from various countries in Latin America. As an added perk the salsa is old school, my wife and I dislike more modern salsa. They also have a great mix of other latin music. We will come back to this place fairly often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013The restaurant space is comfortable and trendy. The bar predominates but the chef is first rate. The smoked salmon ceviche is outstanding but could have benefitted by offering bread or pitas with it. The two specialty "tacos"we tried were also perfect tastes and unique..we especially liked the pork belly one. Disappointed that there was no red sangria that night. Very odd. They brought us the white variety instead but not really a good substitute for us. There was a large wedding party nearby so there were some over taxed wait staff who still manged to handle our meal service well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2013I went for dinner, the menu did not have very many items. The place was a little empty on a saturday night. I loved the decoration. We ordered halibut ceviche which was pretty good. Arroz con mariscos which was my favorite, calamari that was good too and the pescado which I really didnt care much for it. The service was very good. Not sure if I would go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for tapasJLo77VIPDined on 5/11/2013We went there for dinner on Saturday before mother day with friends (party of 9). I have to say that we loved the ambiance as well as the décor. Have to say that the service was excellent. We had almost every plate on the menu – from the different ceviches to the many taco options… food was good. Our only comment on food was that being a tapas place, the options were quite limited. We had a great time and never felt rushed. Price was a bit on the high side. All in all, it is a nice restaurant to share tapas with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour menu, thoughOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/26/2013Great happy hour menu, though I wouldn't consider it great value (plates are moderately priced, yes, but you need to order ~3 to get a good meal).Special Features:
- Came here with a large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2013Came here with a large group for a pre-bachlorette dinner. Food menu was very limited, small plates/small tacos. The food was pretty good however, although a bit overpriced. Sangria was nothing special. Might come back again if in the area...Special Features:
- This place was empty on ajillntVIPDined on 4/5/2013This place was empty on a friday night. The menu is very limited. Two of the 4 drinks we ordered we returned (bad bar tender). Would not go back.
- The food was quite good, especiallycmarieDined on 3/30/2013The food was quite good, especially the carnitas tacos. There was some music blasting when we got there and I asked if the hostess could turn it down, but she said she didn't think so. My companion didn't like the food (scallop tacos, hard shell tuna tacos) nearly as much as I did. The margaritas were good but verged on being too sweet. Parking is always a challenge in that part of town.
- Decent Food; Service VERY SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/29/2013Decent food, when we went it wasn't very crowded at all yet the services was INCREDIBLY SLOW. Waited 10-15 minutes for a server to even bother stopping by, then much longer before someone even brought us a glass of water, and then finally our drinks showed up.
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013Got together on a Sunday with a few friends to try something new. I had only been once before for a quick happy hour drink. (Ps. Great happy hour) This time I thought we would try dinner. The four of us had a cozy booth with room to spare. Our server was friendly and filled with great suggestions. It was a perfect night for sharing and that is what we did. We started with a pitcher of margaritas, ceviche, and smoked salmon. YUM! After that we moved on to tacos. Everyone loved the Carnitas, but my favorite was the pork belly. They look simple, but the flavor is far from it. From there we did the chicken mole, short rib, and braised lamb. I cant remember everything because they just kept coming. Long story short, two thumbs up. Try it!Special Features:
- New favorite in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/22/2013Our experience at Boveda was incredible! I went with three girlfriends for a night out. We started with margaritas and they were perfect. Clearly not made from a mix, they had the perfect semi-sweet tartness we were looking for...2 pitchers later, we were all much more relaxed! We shared several courses including the oysters, one of each of the tacos, and then the ceviche, snapper, and smoked salmon. The scallop oysters were so perfectly done that we had to get another order, and our friend from the west coast said the smoked salmon was the best she's had since leaving Seattle. Dessert was also on a whole other level. We loved the chocolate filled macaroon that literally melted in your mouth and jalapeño ice cream with homemade pop rocks!Special Features:
- Worst Peruvian food everKarineVIPDined on 2/22/2013We expected to have good Peruvian food. It was really mediocre and forgettable, not at all like you would find in Peru. Very expensive, tiny plates. But the worst of the worst was the Pisco Sour: I guess they made it the day before, or maybe they just used very low quality (old/artificial lime juice) and stale ingredients. It was tiny, and they charged $12 for that horrible concoction. The tacos were OK, though.
- Trendy but not yet happening bistroOmnivoreDined on 2/15/2013Cocktails (caipirinhas) were outstanding, as was the service, but the food, although tasty, amounts to bar snacks rather than a full meal. The abundance of hard surfaces (stone and glass) makes the noise of even one loud group hard to escape.Special Features:
- Noise rating doesn't count...theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2013Noise rating doesn't count...the place was empty. Definitely not for Restaurant week. It wasn't a dinner, and cost more than a la carte which wasn't an option. We wouldn't have ordered dessert if we had been able to order a la carte. We did ask. The food was okay....there was a definite odor of fishiness with the seviche though it didn't taste old. The scallops were not juicy though not overdone. It looks like a great place for a drink and a snack, but it isn't dinner.
- The food was at best adequate.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/10/2013The food was at best adequate. The prices were too high for the quality of food and the caipirinha was a little less than adequate. It was a disappointing night
- We went to Boveda for restaurantwalkmuchDined on 2/10/2013We went to Boveda for restaurant week (review is a bit late) and had a great time. Pork tacos and margaritas were our favorite items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only go when you are not HUNGRYOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013I selected this restaurant for a birthday dinner. It happened to be restaurant week which was unfortunate. The establishment was empty, and we were given a strict selected menu. Out of less than 20 dishes, only one was chicken. There was no table toppings to munch on as you wait, we had to request bread for the table. The tacos were tapas style and were quite tasty. The shor rib was delicious and tender. The dessert select was interesting, very ecletic jalepeno pepper ice cream, which definitely should be eating with all the plate toppings and not by itself. As a service I felt a bit rushed, because its adjacent to the Caucus room and it seemed as though Boveda was a after thought becuase of utilizing one kitchen. Very akward.Special Features:
- Great, refined Latino/MexicannovaFoodieDined on 2/9/2013Great, refined Latino/Mexican small plates. Very cool space, delicious food and excellent cocktails. Not too crowded yet either.Special Features:
- Still needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/9/2013We were there for Restaurant Week, and the menu was good. Don't know if it was a smaller menu than usual, but the selection was a bit limited. Food was very good. Server was nice, well-intentioned, but not knowledgeable about the menu. Also, he messed the tab up, and the credit card form I was given to sign had $20 more than the itemized receipt I'd seen.
- Restaurant Week not the best time?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/7/2013The flounder used in the cevice was old and smelt fishy, and the flan was overcooked and had rough texture. Probably it was because during the restaurant week and the restaurant did not pay too much attention to the quality of food. I was impressed by their attentive service, though.Special Features: