Bourbon & Tunns Tavern
221 N Broadway Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
Bourbon & Tunns Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.palmsbistrobar.com/
- Phone: 414-298-3000
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Dean Brazaitis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The second floor is available for private events suited to almost any style. Menus, drinks and entertainment is fully customizable. Full bar, private bathrooms and charming old world decor with contemporary accents.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle McCue 8777249343
A word from Bourbon & Tunns Tavern
The recent renaissance of Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward has introduced the city to a new era of stylish metropolitan dining. Historically significant buildings are serving as the foundation for the many downtown restaurants that have surfaced in recent years. Following suit, Bourbon & Tunns Tavern opened its doors in the beautifully restored Queen Anne style building located at 221 N Broadway Avenue in 2002. Since the time of our inception, Bourbon & Tunns Tavern introduced an entirely new category of cuisine to Milwaukee’s contemporary culinary scene. Palm’s has spent years developing and fine tuning what today has become known as Global Fusion. Simply stated, Global Fusion begins with a classical French foundation and seamlessly fuses exotic worldly flavors to create distinctively enticing cuisine. Our chefs have established a reputation for crafting creative and exciting cuisine, and are continuously committed to keeping our customers equally enthusiastic about our food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bourbon & Tunns Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
- We made the reservations forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/15/2012We made the reservations for Palms and were surprised they made a switch to a new format just days earlier, now called Bourbon and Tunns Tavern. Not to fear...still an excellent choice! Very good food, though the menu is a bit heavier than before, more emphasis on heavier meat dishes and spicier foods, and an emphasis on local foods. Still an excellent choice of small plates. Food was excellent - an interesting fusion of flavors and inviting presentation. Service just a tad slow, but timing was not too bad. Actually a nice relaxing dinner. As for the food, the duck breast was excellent and done to perfection, the lobster mac and cheese was spicier than expected but very good. The shared root vegetable salad was superb!Special Features:
- Wait staff was very helpfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Wait staff was very helpful in suggesting a wonderful Pinot Gris that went well with both of our dishes.She was fun, responsive, and added to a great night out.
- the soup was served luke warm.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012the soup was served luke warm. the waitress took care of it with an apology. the rest of the food was very good. service was good. a little noisy for talking at lunch.Special Features:
- We were disappointed in theCkressinDined on 11/17/2012We were disappointed in the service. We made reservations for a group of 8 at 7 on a saturday for a birthday celebration. The waitress was almost never around. While the food was ok, the service was so nonexistent we would not go back.
- The service was the worstMaryDined on 11/17/2012The service was the worst I have ever had. I've held work events at the Palms Bistro before and have had lunch there many times and was pleased. However, the dinner we had there recently was atrocious. The food itself and atmosphere of the restaurant was great, but the service was the worst I have ever had. To start, the waitress didn't come to our table until 20 minutes after we were seated. She didn't bring us a drink menu, though it was requested, and wouldn't accommodate us when she brought a drink that my cousin didn't like. She said, "Stir it and try again." At that point she became combative, and the dinner went further down hill. She didn't offer us a dessert menu and lied about a manager not being on duty. It was a Saturday!
- Two Thumbs Up for Palms!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012Great fusion of ethnic dishes. Ideal menu, not too little or too many selections, just right. Atmosphere was excellent, lighting was perfect. I dined with my grandmother that night, so the seperation of the bar and dining area was ideal; it kept noise to a minimum for her. Our server was very pleasant. A delightful restaurant; it gave a cozy feeling, but large enough to accommodate several party sizes. When looking around the restaurant it was filled by all different age groups and demographics which included a family of four with two younger children, an obvious business meeting between two men in sharp suits, a "girls night" party of five and two couples my grandmother's age obviously on a double date. We would definitely return!Special Features:
- I took my wife here for aOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012I took my wife here for a special night. There are alot of great places nearby to go after your dinner ( We cheeked out Splash Studios down the street) .Made a good date night. I also noticed they had a few bigger table for groups. The Palms has a very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2012I ordered the calamari "steaks" thinking that they would be medallions, like the calamari steaks I've had at good restaurants. Nope! Just some breaded, yet not very crispy thin sticks in a bowl. Presentation was boring. They were tender, I'll give them that. My friend got the bruschetta and it was slathered with overcooked cheese and so many other ingredients it was unrecognizable. Lightings too bright which ruins the ambiance. I won't be back. If you are a 'foodie' you will not like this place. It is run of the mill.
- Very nice! Great atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2012Very nice! Great atmosphere and great staff! We had a nice night out thanks to Palms bistro!Special Features:
- Will be back again soon!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/13/2012I really liked the atmosphere as soon as we walked in. The art they have on the walls right now is exquisite! The staff was super friendly and informative. I had the Blistered Corn and Cranberry salad to start. I was pleasantly surprised at how large it was. It was so tasty;I would recommend that for sure! I also had the Petit Filet Mignon entree. I ordered mine medium-well and it arrived just as I ordered it. The potatoes were yummy,although I thought there could have been slightly more cheese sauce. The tempura asparagus rounded out the meal quite nice. The two wines I tried were both excellent. The service was good,yet I expected my salad to come before the meal-it came out at the same time. I am pretty sure our server was new though.Special Features:
- The food was great. The serverOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/6/2012The food was great. The server had no idea how to serve wine. There was a wedding upstairs that was so loud we could barely hear each other and the dining room wasn't full.
- After many visits, I had aBreguetVIPDined on 9/20/2012After many visits, I had a burger for the first time - people, get the burger!!!
- Our table server was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/8/2012Our table server was wonderful - no "You guys"or Sweeties"or anything like that. Reception was cordial and was never just standing around doing nothing. But I don't like your practice of keeping my credit card at the bar until I close out my tab to go into dinner. Twice before at other places my card was given to the wrong patron and cost me alot in replacement.Special Features:
- We went there based on a friendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/1/2012We went there based on a friend recommendation. Our appetizers were good. However, our entrees did not meet our expectations. We had the spanish paella and a perch fish dinners. The sauce on the fish was a bit gummy in texture and a bit too tart tasting. The fish piece itself was nice though. The paella was disappointing. And not much seafood and meat provided. My husband ate alot of my fish to supplement. Third Ward distract is a really nice and appealing area with many restaurants. We will try out the other restaurants before going back to Palms.Special Features:
- Our party of four had a 6:30OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Our party of four had a 6:30 reservation and were seated at that time. We ordered two apps along with cocktails for all followed by salads. Delivery times were spaced perfectly as were our entrees. Our waitress---Amanda?--was very good. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- HAVE DINED HERE MANY TIMESOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/16/2012HAVE DINED HERE MANY TIMES AND ARE NEVER DISAPPOINTED....THE CALAMARI IS BEST IN THE WORLD....SERVICE AND PERSONNEL ARE FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL.Special Features:
- We were a group of 8. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/10/2012We were a group of 8. Service was slow we had to remind the waiter for drinks, appetizers and silverware
- Great food great waitress,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/31/2012Great food great waitress, however, we were there for lunch and it took at least 50 Minutes to get our food. Too long for the lunch hour.Special Features:
- We all had great dishes!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012We all had great dishes! Everyone cleaned their plates! The downtown atmosphere was fun and entertaining. We will definitely be back for some outdoor dining this summer!Special Features:
- beef empanada small plateOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2012beef empanada small plate order was delicious; missed trying the pork belly small plate because it was unavailable--must be good because the other time we were there it was the same story main meals of lobster macaroni, paella, grouper and ahi tuna were tasty but portions are a little small; would be nice if some bread/butter were also offered; nicely decorated restaurant and enough room between tables for privacy;Special Features:
- Would NOT give it another try....OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2012The Palm came highly recommended but I was highly diissappointed. It was downtown dining week with the opt in of a set menu. They wet out of an appetizer option and a dessert option and did not offer another option. The food seemed to be banquet prepared and an inflated price for the portion size and quality. We had an 830 reservation so it was not busy at all. However, there was a party upstairs that may have be taking up their efforts! OVER PRICED!!!!
- The downtown dining menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2012The downtown dining menu was one of the best offered!Special Features:
- I normally love Palms, butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2012I normally love Palms, but they were unfortunately out of both the appetizer and dessert I was interested in ordering on Tuesday night. I am hopeful that won't happen again as they are a favorite of mine in Milwaukee.
- on prefixed menu ran out ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2012on prefixed menu ran out of one of 3 choices of appetizer. told waiter that he should put aside 3 of the specific desserts and could in fact bring them to the table right then rather than running out . an hour and a half later he said they had no more of the dessert we wanted and instead brought out a sliver of cake.
- Food was very good; the serverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/9/2012Food was very good; the server was ok. Not super solicitous. It was very loud. As always, the location and vibe make it worthwhile.Special Features:
- All badDiegoDined on 6/9/2012Bad service was almost 1 hr before we got served our first course.would never go back.
- My wife & I went to this restaurantSnarfDined on 6/8/2012My wife & I went to this restaurant as part of Milwaukee Downtown Dining week. We received a very friendly greeting & were immediately shown to our table. The service throughout was friendly, professional & inobtrusive. The decor was modern, well maintained, clean & with some very interesting artwork on the walls. Overall the food was good. My wife would say excellent for her meal. Unfortunately I can't say that. My entree was mahi-mahi which they overcooked. It was nicely seared on the outside, nicely spiced too but it had been in the pan too long & so the fish had dried out a bit. Other than that the food was excellent & I would definitely go back. Normal prices, though, are high for what you get due to location in the 3rd wardSpecial Features:
- We came in at 12:30, muchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012We came in at 12:30, much of the rush had past. Our service was very, very slow. Food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Good food, service, etc.jo10Dined on 5/23/2012Good food, service, etc. Great location for pre-theater dinner.
- Excellent! Portions wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2012Excellent! Portions were a bit small (Filet). I also had scallops and shrimp as appetizers. Both of those portions were small as well. Great place to go.Special Features:
- GREAT ExperienceMilwaukeeFoodieDined on 4/28/2012The new menu is outstanding, with additional seafood choices. Always great service.Special Features:
- The Palms accomodated ourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2012The Palms accomodated our group of 11 well. The food was excellent, especially the asian pasta dish-I wish I had ordered that! With a group, we got to sample several dishes :)The atmposphere was nice.Special Features:
- Nice place for a businessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2012Nice place for a business lunch. Quick service, classy, and great food.Special Features:
- We have been to Palms severalfoodymeDined on 4/13/2012We have been to Palms several times, but this last was the worse service I have ever had. It appeared there were only two servers for an entire filled room. Just not enough. Out waiter was very nice, but not very good. He completely forgot that we ordered an appetizer, we waited over 20 minutes for our drinks that we ordered 15 minutes after we sat down. It took a very long time for our food to get to the table and like I say I had to tell him our appetizer never came. All he did was say he was sorry, what I think he should have done was bring it anyway, on the house but that didn't happen. The food was great though.
- WE ARE NEVER DISAPPOINTEDOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/12/2012WE ARE NEVER DISAPPOINTED IN THE PALMS. WE ARE TREATED LIKE FAMILY. EVERYTHING IS WONDERFUL ESPECIALLY THE CALAMARI.Special Features:
- A Great Encore MealDelishDined on 4/5/2012Agatering of friends prompted this latest visit to The Palms Bistro. Being a weekday evening, the mood was quieter, but the service was attentive and the food was spot on. All six of our dinner companions enjoyed and raved over their chosen items. We selected both small plates, regular entres, and one of the special entrees. The beef empanadas were fabulous, the grouper had a wonderful accompanying sauce, the scallops were perfectly grilled, and on and on. We also shared the ganache fondue plate which was more than enough for the 6 of us. A toast to the chef and staff at Palms.Special Features:
- Glad we tried it ONCEMrBeauDined on 3/31/2012The couple that we were mtg arrived a few minutes before our 6:30 reservation and told the hostess that they would wait in the bar for us. At that time, the hostess advised them we only had the table until 8:00. So, we felt as if there was not "time" for too many courses and found ourselves eating much more quickly than we should have had to for our $225 dinner (4 people). When we asked what brands of chardonnay they had, we were advised they were out of all but one..when we asked what the specials were we were advised they were out of ALL 12 specials!!! Timeliness of the service was just so-so making it difficult to meet our "8pm DEADLINE" of which we didn't and left at 8:15...very disappointing experience.
- Excellent meal...all of uswoodmanDined on 3/31/2012Excellent meal...all of us really enjoyed the food we ordered.
- Great place for a casual date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012The small plates at the Palms were exceptionally good (we had duck confit, calamari, and Danish brie - all were delicious), and perfect for a couple looking to get a bite to eat and a glass of wine. The service was timely and friendly, and with a window seat, we almost felt like we were on a sidewalk cafe on the east coast somewhere. All in all we were pleasantly surprised at the experience, and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- poor service :(OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2012Our party of 7 was looking for a nice place with friendly people, great food, and good wine to celebrate a birthday. Having been to the Palms before and having enjoyed myself, I thought this would be the place. How disappointing! The food was over cooked, the wine list was lackluster and our waitress was a nightmare! She was rude, disrespectful, and not at all personable. Unfortunately, gratuity was already included because of our party size (we normally like to tip very well when the job warrants it) but she clearly knew that tip was already included and she didn't need to do anything to earn it. We will not be going back and will not be recommending The Palms to anyone.