Bourbon and Beef
5634 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Bourbon and Beef
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bourbonbeef.com/
- Phone: 5107884821
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch from 11-2:30
Brunch from 10-3
Dinner from 5-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bourbon and Beef
A Latin-inspired, gourmet restaurant..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bourbon and Beef - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Bourbon and Beef reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (59)great for brunch (41)vibrant bar scene (29)special occasion (24)great for lunch (23)romantic (13)hot spot (13)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014The food here is so delicious, and unique blends of tastes. My guests were very pleased. So glad you're in the 'hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsHappyVIPDined on 9/27/2014As first-timers we were greeted/seated promptly/pleasantly by an attentive host. My menu was missing all the food pages.Server was condescending when she pointed out where they would be only to find the pages, indeed, were missing. Later, each item was delivered in a timely way, well presented, and very,very tasty. Dessert: Many plantain fritters with a golf-ball-sized scoop of ice cream.Insufficient serving of ice cream to complement the amount of fritters for one person let alone for two to share! We immediately asked for additional ice cream. After consulting with the "Chef," the young man seemed embarrassed to tell us "the chef nearly took my head off and said NO." Bill was presented during dessert.No further drinks/service offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place near Rockridge BART2lazy2cookDined on 9/25/2014The French onion soup was excellent and served in a little iron crock. Also had the paella which was also very good. The restaurant has a bar, which was full when we entered, and the crowd was lively. The wait staff was solicitous but sometimes it was hard to catch their eye. We asked for some bread and it was stale. The noise level was a little loud at times.Special Features:
- SharonSharonDined on 9/23/2014The moment that I entered the restaurant, I did not have good feelings about Bourbon and Beef. Our reservations were at 11:45. We never saw anyone eating, but, us. I had the "Steak and Eggs". Steak was dry, tough and no taste... probably, frozen. My companion had the carnitas sandwich. It was tasty. No one came into the restaurant when we left.
- Love the food, hate the noise.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Loved the food, hated the noise. Too bad, since otherwise fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and drinksRflrobDined on 9/18/2014We were surprised and disappointed when many items from the online menu weren't offered, but we found a great set of entrees. The risotto in particular was exquisite, and the service was attentive without being too pushy.Special Features:
- Bourbon and BeefAITCHPEEBEDined on 9/15/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant. Three of us had three different entrees and deserts, all excellent, well-thougtout and executed. Deserts are big, enough to share two ways, or even three. The only drawback is the name -- sounds like a sport's bar or a rowdy place, and it is neither. The barman said they hear this a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy surprisegoodtimebyallDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed the food, wine (recommended by our server) Excellent choices on the menu and the service was most efficient. We look forward to returning. Our one complaint was the noise level - it was difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnermom4WyattDined on 9/8/2014My hustband's birthday was a Monday when a lot of places are closed. We wanted to try something new, so this B&B looked like it had all the fish and beef options we like. The fried brussel sprouts we had as an appetizer did not disappoint- crisp and tasty, balsamic vinegar sauce tingled in the mouth with a super sweet after taste - YUM. His steak entree - a rib eye was great, but we both noticed that other dishes - gravy on his mashed potatoes, greens and mussels were too salty for our tastes. Our server was attentive and sweet - turned off the vent when we said it was drafty at the table and comped our fried plantain dessert when it came after 20 minutes of waiting ..........I might go back, but not for a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud!AlainDined on 9/6/2014The food was mostly really good, cocktails were excellent and service was outstanding. However, a group next to us was so loud that I couldn't hear my table mate and vice versa without yelling. It destroyed our experience. I don't know if if acoustics are that bad or if it was just that group. We will not go back because of that which is unfortunate because I'd like to give the rest of the menu a chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu ChangefitndineVIPDined on 9/6/2014I have been to this restaurant numerous times. They have changed the menu and all my favorite bites are no longer on the menu. Still have a great burger and their sundae too must try.Special Features:
- Good food, average serviceoaklandeaterVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was my first time here, as well as my friend's. The brunch food was well executed (I had huevos rancheros) but the service was average. The first round of Bloody Marys came in very small glasses (like short tumblers) - I've never seen such small Bloody Marys - while the second round came in mason jars, which was more generous and much more stylish. Had I not had a Groupon, it would have been way too expensive for what we got.Special Features:
- Superb PaellaJoKoDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I went there for dinner. We had the paella. It was so good. We split it. We had wine. And for dessert we had plantains with ice cream. It was such a yummy dessert. My recommendation when one goes there is to go early since parking can take a while. There are a lot of residences so parking is at a premium.Special Features:
- Great drinks food and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014Husband and I dined midweek to celebrate our anniversary. It was a great relaxed but fun vibe. The manager and server were attentive, chatty but not pushy. The drinks were tasty - I had one of the best side cars I've had in years. The brussel sprouts and tacos were faves. And we got to watch the football game! Nice spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food,great server- Lauren!TerriDined on 9/1/2014Took our son, his girlfriend, my MIL and my 94 year old mother for our son's birthday on Labor Day. The food was delish, especially the Wagyu Beef risotto - yum!! It was a tad too noisy for my elderly mother, but that's due to her hearing aids. We did have to play musical chairs in order to converse with everyone there. But the best part of the evening, by far, was our delightful server, Lauren. She was terrific and made us feel very special! NOTE TO BOURBON & BEEF: Hold on to her!!!!Special Features:
- Great food but awful serviceMeabDined on 8/31/2014The brunch food was excellent. The potatoes were amazing. But for such good food the service was terrible. Waited almost an hour with one apology and then our waitress hid from us for the rest of the meal. One of our orders didn't have everything on it that was on the menu. The service here has been a challenge from the beginning. The first time I went for dinner I had to wait a half hour and was scolded for using open table for a reservation. At least that time the manager caught what was going on and went out of his way to make our experience enjoyable.
- too much beefEatzRiteDined on 8/29/2014The service was good, the beef ravioli too rich for my taste (although I like rich), mussels appetizer too salty, the place too noisy also. Did not see sparkling water price on the menu, but was a little shocked to see on the bill we were paying $12 for two bottles. My fault, but I have been to other restaurants where the price is clearly spelt out. Cocktails not good, I should have asked what brands of liquor were being used. I had a cocktail I have had many times and can make myself, but on this occasion they gave me a headache. My friend did not like her margarita at all. Not the right restaurant for me, but I should have realized, I'm not into bourbon and I have a small capacity for beef. But great for those who want to eat steak!Special Features:
- Good ChoiceDanSDined on 8/25/2014My partner and I went to Bourbon and Beef for a late brunch, and it was a great choice. When we arrived (at 2:30 PM), there were only a couple of tables occupied, as they closed at 3. We ended up staying well past then, but the wait staff never hurried us. The huevos rancheros were great, as was the sausage and eggs. It was a little pricey--if we did not have a Groupon, it would have been over $50 with drinks, dessert, tax and tip--but it is well worth a visit. Maybe next time we will skip the flourless chocolate cake, but only to save money--it was delicious!Special Features:
- Basics are there but...BerkeleyfoodidVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was very good but the quality of the service really detracted from the experience. For a restaurant in this price range, the service needs to be excellent. Our waitress served the incorrect salads and then got very defensive. The answer to the customer in a high caliber restaurant should always be: "how can I make this food right for you" not "eat this, it's not what you ordered but it's what you get". This especially is true if the diner is paying $140.00 for a party of two.Special Features:
- doesn't live up to the hypeJodiVIPDined on 8/21/2014i sent back my steak. the goat cheese salad was uninspired. french onion soup was delicious. pricey and not that great. also too many tables too close together. very noisy too. nice waitstaff but really not impressed with the food or the space.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014I've eaten here before and always had excellent service. My server on a Sunday afternoon at 3PM, when it wasn't busy, was vacuous and inattentive. 20 minutes after ordering a sandwich, I had to get up and track her down to ask where my lunch was. When she finally brought my food, I emphatically asked her for ketchup, which she never brought to the table. There is nothing worse than lack of customer service, in my opinion. A good server can make or break a restaurant experience.
- Great but LOUDash13Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome food - kind of pricy, but we had a good Groupon. Accommodated a vegan even though it is not very vegan-friendly if you look at the online menu. Great wines by the glass. Extremely helpful staff. Only complaint was that it was VERY loud. The room is extremely reverberant so noise from tables far away was high, causing everyone to talk louder...you can see where this is going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was good, but due to poor service, not worth it. Very slow, but also very inattentive. We had to ask for basic things like ketchup and water several times and our actual waiter who we asked first never remembered or said sorry for forgetting for so long that we just went up to the bar to get it.
- Not great for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014I’ve had dinner at this restaurant several times, and all the meals were very good. So, I was very surprised by how bad the Saturday brunch turned out to be. My dinning companion and I both agreed that the food was cold and tasteless, and the crab was very fishy tasting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin inspired culinary vision lost73agingfoodieDined on 8/15/2014It was surprising that the décor has changed. Why? The lunch menu changed. Why. I was so irritated that I wrote a letter about my dining experience to Chef Massarweh and it is in the mail. Should arrive Monday, August 18th.
- Birthday at B & BDguruVIPDined on 8/14/2014Haven't been here since it was Pearl. Fantastic night out for my birthday. Food was terrific as was the service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed our meals but the service was disappointing. Our server was friendly and enthusiastic but unfortunately did a poor job. Our drinks were left on the bar getting watered down until the bartender finally found someone to bring them to our table. I had mentioned that it was a birthday celebration in my reservation which they acknowledged when we arrived, but no candle or complimentary dessert. The Sazerac was served on the rocks. Perhaps the staff just needs a bit more experience.Special Features:
- Great food!Jan15Dined on 8/8/2014We were here for lunch on a weekday and the good and service were excellent. Sadly, we were the only customers there between 12:20 and 1:15, so I am guessing their lunch service will not be long for this world.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food combinationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/3/2014I had two fantastic brunches here. Forget your diet when you come in and just enjoy everything. The bottomless mimosas are tasty, and they are very good about making sure you never get close to the bottom of your glass. I also enjoyed a Bloody Mary which was perfectly spicy and savory. All the food was delicious! We tried some of the savory dishes and some of the sweet, and all of them were favorites. I'm definitely looking forward to going back very often.Special Features:
- Weak Bourbon and Dry BeefStormDined on 7/30/2014With a name like Bourbon and Beef you would expect stellar drinks and steaks. Rather than classic or solidly good bourbon drinks these cocktails tried way too hard and did not satisfy. The medium rare carne asadas both came out overdone and dry, dry, dry. I ate everything but the steak on my skillet and when it was collected I wasn't even questioned about it. Too bad because the ambiance was great and I wanted to like the restaurant.
- food OK, service good...yldprplDined on 7/29/2014A pleasant setting, Chile relleno was different with ground beef filling, mole was a little too spicy for us. Fish special was halibut, it was slightly under cooked, but had good flavor. 3 tamales were dry. The number of gnats and flies were troubling.
- Fresh and savoryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Came for Saturday brunch. Service staff were helpful with recommendations. Both entrees were fresh and savory. We had Chicken Fried Steak and Blue Crab Benedict. Bloody Marys were a bit spicy and I didn't really like the chunks of ingredients in them.Special Features:
- Great PlaceStevenDined on 7/23/2014Friendly wait staff, great food and drink. Also, great place to dine and watch sports. I throughly enjoyed my dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot with brunch service!Akira123Dined on 7/19/2014Our visit to beef and bourbon was absolutely fantastic!!! The service was friendly, funny and extremely helpful. The food was to die for generous portions of well prepared, thoughtfully assembled ingredients that were a joy to eat. I can't wait to dine at this spot again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bourbon and BeefOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014We had a party of 4 with reservations for 8:15; we called ahead to see if we could arrive 1/2 hour later and were told "no problem". We arrived and our table was not ready for another 35 minutes. By the time we were seated, we were very hungry, so we ordered but it took another 35 minutes to get our food. No explanation of why the delay other than the fish takes 20 minutes to cook??? No bread and several times we had to ask to have our water glasses refilled, as they would forget even after being asked. Small restaurant, no real ambience other than a nice bar with a zillion bourbons and nice friendly bartenders; food was okay, but nothing amazing.
- Really enjoyable...annieanderDined on 7/16/2014We were seated and looked after by the host and staff. The food was delicious and unique. When we were sat, I mentioned to the hostess that we were there for my husband's birthday. Everyone that stopped by the table said a happy birthday to him (in a non-obtrusive way), and they added a candle to his dessert. Nice remembering. Nice touch. I would have liked to have stuck with the "Firsts" for my meal as they looked delicious and with sizable portions. I will be back to try them.Special Features:
- MehBayTastebudDined on 7/16/2014I Love bourbon and beef, and the "subtitle" for this place is something like "latin-inspired cuisine," which confounded my expectations. Bourbon and Latin don't really connect in my mind. Short ribs were unremarkable-the meat was tender but too sweet, and the slaw they came with was "off" w/ bleu cheese- a wrong note. BBQ must be crispy on the outside, rich and meaty and salty and smoky, without too much sugar- people always overdo the sugar. My duck was pretty good as domestic duck goes, it was cooked correctly & enjoyable, but not inspiring. I actually liked the kale best- it was cooked just right and was delicious. Dessert was hum-drum, just pretty good. I'm coming up with "just OK" all around here- not enough for the Bay Area.
- Very disappointing return visitdisappointingDined on 7/16/2014We got to the restaurant and it was virtually empty. The food took an hour to be served. The service was poor. Music and TV were loud. I'd had much better experiences there before but this was really a bust.
- ShekiDined on 7/15/2014The food was great, loved the mussels and the tacos they were my favorite, lots of good flavors. Also enjoyed the brussel sprouts, the noise level in the restaurant is high, so it is not too easy for a conversation with a group of 6 people. The service was great, people were friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014the food was amazing and very creative. would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.