Bourbon and Beef
5634 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Bourbon and Beef
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bourbonbeef.com/
- Phone: 5107884821
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch from 11-2:30
Brunch from 10-3
Dinner from 5-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bourbon and Beef
A Latin-inspired, gourmet restaurant..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bourbon and Beef - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Bourbon and Beef reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (64)great for brunch (49)vibrant bar scene (30)great for lunch (24)special occasion (23)good for groups (14)romantic (14)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)notable wine list (5)Show More
- too much beefOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The service was good, the beef ravioli too rich for my taste (although I like rich), mussels appetizer too salty, the place too noisy also. Did not see sparkling water price on the menu, but was a little shocked to see on the bill we were paying $12 for two bottles. My fault, but I have been to other restaurants where the price is clearly spelt out. Cocktails not good, I should have asked what brands of liquor were being used. I had a cocktail I have had many times and can make myself, but on this occasion they gave me a headache. My friend did not like her margarita at all. Not the right restaurant for me, but I should have realized, I'm not into bourbon and I have a small capacity for beef. But great for those who want to eat steak!Special Features:
- Good ChoiceDanSDined on 8/25/2014My partner and I went to Bourbon and Beef for a late brunch, and it was a great choice. When we arrived (at 2:30 PM), there were only a couple of tables occupied, as they closed at 3. We ended up staying well past then, but the wait staff never hurried us. The huevos rancheros were great, as was the sausage and eggs. It was a little pricey--if we did not have a Groupon, it would have been over $50 with drinks, dessert, tax and tip--but it is well worth a visit. Maybe next time we will skip the flourless chocolate cake, but only to save money--it was delicious!Special Features:
- Basics are there but...BerkeleyfoodidVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was very good but the quality of the service really detracted from the experience. For a restaurant in this price range, the service needs to be excellent. Our waitress served the incorrect salads and then got very defensive. The answer to the customer in a high caliber restaurant should always be: "how can I make this food right for you" not "eat this, it's not what you ordered but it's what you get". This especially is true if the diner is paying $140.00 for a party of two.Special Features:
- doesn't live up to the hypeJodiVIPDined on 8/21/2014i sent back my steak. the goat cheese salad was uninspired. french onion soup was delicious. pricey and not that great. also too many tables too close together. very noisy too. nice waitstaff but really not impressed with the food or the space.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014I've eaten here before and always had excellent service. My server on a Sunday afternoon at 3PM, when it wasn't busy, was vacuous and inattentive. 20 minutes after ordering a sandwich, I had to get up and track her down to ask where my lunch was. When she finally brought my food, I emphatically asked her for ketchup, which she never brought to the table. There is nothing worse than lack of customer service, in my opinion. A good server can make or break a restaurant experience.
- Great but LOUDash13Dined on 8/16/2014Awesome food - kind of pricy, but we had a good Groupon. Accommodated a vegan even though it is not very vegan-friendly if you look at the online menu. Great wines by the glass. Extremely helpful staff. Only complaint was that it was VERY loud. The room is extremely reverberant so noise from tables far away was high, causing everyone to talk louder...you can see where this is going.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/16/2014Food was good, but due to poor service, not worth it. Very slow, but also very inattentive. We had to ask for basic things like ketchup and water several times and our actual waiter who we asked first never remembered or said sorry for forgetting for so long that we just went up to the bar to get it.
- Not great for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/16/2014I’ve had dinner at this restaurant several times, and all the meals were very good. So, I was very surprised by how bad the Saturday brunch turned out to be. My dinning companion and I both agreed that the food was cold and tasteless, and the crab was very fishy tasting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin inspired culinary vision lost73agingfoodieDined on 8/15/2014It was surprising that the décor has changed. Why? The lunch menu changed. Why. I was so irritated that I wrote a letter about my dining experience to Chef Massarweh and it is in the mail. Should arrive Monday, August 18th.
- Birthday at B & BDguruVIPDined on 8/14/2014Haven't been here since it was Pearl. Fantastic night out for my birthday. Food was terrific as was the service. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We enjoyed our meals but the service was disappointing. Our server was friendly and enthusiastic but unfortunately did a poor job. Our drinks were left on the bar getting watered down until the bartender finally found someone to bring them to our table. I had mentioned that it was a birthday celebration in my reservation which they acknowledged when we arrived, but no candle or complimentary dessert. The Sazerac was served on the rocks. Perhaps the staff just needs a bit more experience.Special Features:
- Great food!Jan15Dined on 8/8/2014We were here for lunch on a weekday and the good and service were excellent. Sadly, we were the only customers there between 12:20 and 1:15, so I am guessing their lunch service will not be long for this world.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Bar And Some BeefIknowdiningVIPDined on 8/6/2014I really want to like this place. Great concept and location, but it just misses on too many fronts. The location and decor are great, but it is dominated by a large noisy bar. The music is great, but it has to be played too loud to get over the loud bar noise. The wait staff is great, but the kitchen is slow. The restaurant name would suggest great beef dishes, but the menu lurches from some indifferently executed Central American inspired dishes such as tamales, to great chicken, to a couple of OK beef dishes. The wine list is fine. I am not a bourbon drinker, so I cannot comment on the quality of the spirits. My impression is they are still finding their way. Hope they do.Special Features:
- Delicious food combinationsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/3/2014I had two fantastic brunches here. Forget your diet when you come in and just enjoy everything. The bottomless mimosas are tasty, and they are very good about making sure you never get close to the bottom of your glass. I also enjoyed a Bloody Mary which was perfectly spicy and savory. All the food was delicious! We tried some of the savory dishes and some of the sweet, and all of them were favorites. I'm definitely looking forward to going back very often.Special Features:
- Weak Bourbon and Dry BeefStormDined on 7/30/2014With a name like Bourbon and Beef you would expect stellar drinks and steaks. Rather than classic or solidly good bourbon drinks these cocktails tried way too hard and did not satisfy. The medium rare carne asadas both came out overdone and dry, dry, dry. I ate everything but the steak on my skillet and when it was collected I wasn't even questioned about it. Too bad because the ambiance was great and I wanted to like the restaurant.
- food OK, service good...yldprplDined on 7/29/2014A pleasant setting, Chile relleno was different with ground beef filling, mole was a little too spicy for us. Fish special was halibut, it was slightly under cooked, but had good flavor. 3 tamales were dry. The number of gnats and flies were troubling.
- Fresh and savoryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Came for Saturday brunch. Service staff were helpful with recommendations. Both entrees were fresh and savory. We had Chicken Fried Steak and Blue Crab Benedict. Bloody Marys were a bit spicy and I didn't really like the chunks of ingredients in them.Special Features:
- Great PlaceStevenDined on 7/23/2014Friendly wait staff, great food and drink. Also, great place to dine and watch sports. I throughly enjoyed my dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful spot with brunch service!Akira123Dined on 7/19/2014Our visit to beef and bourbon was absolutely fantastic!!! The service was friendly, funny and extremely helpful. The food was to die for generous portions of well prepared, thoughtfully assembled ingredients that were a joy to eat. I can't wait to dine at this spot again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bourbon and BeefOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/18/2014We had a party of 4 with reservations for 8:15; we called ahead to see if we could arrive 1/2 hour later and were told "no problem". We arrived and our table was not ready for another 35 minutes. By the time we were seated, we were very hungry, so we ordered but it took another 35 minutes to get our food. No explanation of why the delay other than the fish takes 20 minutes to cook??? No bread and several times we had to ask to have our water glasses refilled, as they would forget even after being asked. Small restaurant, no real ambience other than a nice bar with a zillion bourbons and nice friendly bartenders; food was okay, but nothing amazing.
- Really enjoyable...annieanderDined on 7/16/2014We were seated and looked after by the host and staff. The food was delicious and unique. When we were sat, I mentioned to the hostess that we were there for my husband's birthday. Everyone that stopped by the table said a happy birthday to him (in a non-obtrusive way), and they added a candle to his dessert. Nice remembering. Nice touch. I would have liked to have stuck with the "Firsts" for my meal as they looked delicious and with sizable portions. I will be back to try them.Special Features:
- MehBayTastebudDined on 7/16/2014I Love bourbon and beef, and the "subtitle" for this place is something like "latin-inspired cuisine," which confounded my expectations. Bourbon and Latin don't really connect in my mind. Short ribs were unremarkable-the meat was tender but too sweet, and the slaw they came with was "off" w/ bleu cheese- a wrong note. BBQ must be crispy on the outside, rich and meaty and salty and smoky, without too much sugar- people always overdo the sugar. My duck was pretty good as domestic duck goes, it was cooked correctly & enjoyable, but not inspiring. I actually liked the kale best- it was cooked just right and was delicious. Dessert was hum-drum, just pretty good. I'm coming up with "just OK" all around here- not enough for the Bay Area.
- Very disappointing return visitdisappointingDined on 7/16/2014We got to the restaurant and it was virtually empty. The food took an hour to be served. The service was poor. Music and TV were loud. I'd had much better experiences there before but this was really a bust.
- ShekiDined on 7/15/2014The food was great, loved the mussels and the tacos they were my favorite, lots of good flavors. Also enjoyed the brussel sprouts, the noise level in the restaurant is high, so it is not too easy for a conversation with a group of 6 people. The service was great, people were friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2014the food was amazing and very creative. would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sunday Morning KickstarterDDSHDined on 7/13/2014Bottomless mimosa is a little pricey but the food is flawless. The service was on par with SF five star restaurants minus the fact that they forgot bread until we reminded them . This was probably due to a new menu starting a couple days ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B&B with Cuban FlareBuckleDined on 7/11/2014Found the service to be very attentive; the food was very tasty with a Cuban flare which was not too spicy; their Bourban Manhattan was very good as well as their appetizers (brussel sprouts and chili's were delicious)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbbyVIPDined on 7/10/2014My friend and I shared several appetizer and a bottle of wine. They were delicious and the wine was excellent ! We will revisit soon. I would not have found this restaurant if not for Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little dissapointingtrigirltri2014VIPDined on 7/9/2014This was our first time and we were pleased with the ambiance. Our server was very good and attentive. Unfortunately, the food took forever to come out of the kitchen. She apologized but it was beyond a reasonable wait time after ordering. Once the food arrived it was just okay. We had high expectations especially after such a long wait.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014Great cocktails! Friendly service. I appreciated that they turned the world cup game on for us.Special Features:
- What changed???InputVIPDined on 7/8/2014This was my 4th visit and I was disappointed with the food. Not sure what happened in the kitchen, but I hope things change. The ribeye wasn't sliced and was served cold. The salt fries were soggy, and the lobster tacos were subpar. My past dining experiences were exceptional, which is why I returned with a new guest. I hope these issues are addressed, so I can return.
- Meh...Specs52Dined on 7/6/2014I dunno. I feel like every time a good-great restaurant rocks a Groupon, the quality of the good goes from good/great to meh. We had brunch. Steak and eggs were fine. Huevos Rancheros are so much better at so many Latin American restaurants for half the price, and what's with a restaurant that--when you ask for a little bread to dip into your jus, they bring you (packaged?) "tostettes" and charge you $3! Okay for a Groupon since there was savings, but I am bummed that I am now totally demotivated to try Bourbon and Beef for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighboor GemjhenieDined on 6/30/2014Were seated right on the spot, the service is very attentive and courteous and friendly. the food that i ordered is very good as well my friend no complain.Special Features:
- Fantastic each timeMaggieBDined on 6/29/2014We go to this restaurant every 3 or 4 months, and each time we've gone it's been absolutely fantastic. The food and service are both fantastic. It's a little expensive, but the quality of the food makes this worth a small splurge.Special Features:
- Good brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/29/2014The food is very good. The name sort of implies it's a steak house but it's really food with a Latin flair.Special Features:
- great brunch!LuLu17Dined on 6/29/2014service excellent, food top notch, my new favorite brunch spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food, not for kidsthegoldenmuleDined on 6/28/2014We came here for a special occasion, four of us plus two kids ~2 years old. The food was absolutely incredible. Probably the best in Rockridge (which is saying a lot as Olivetto is right across the street), but the service was clearly displeased that we had brought our kids. I guess we're expected not to have a nice dinner for the next 18 years? Anyway, I would highly recommend this place for the food, but don't bring anyone that's not old enough to drink.Special Features:
- Severely lacking for the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/27/2014Very overpriced for what they are offering. The dishes were very chaotic and did not make much sense. Some were well executed, and some were just plain sloppy ($8 for woody asparagus?)
- Nice addition to Rockridge diningroxelesmomDined on 6/25/2014Have wanted to try this place since it opened. Finally came for lunch, which is the same as brunch. The menu is intriguing, using duck bacon on many items. My partner ordered a burger deemed excellent. I ordered the fish sandwich, which the waitperson told me was a lightly breaded halibut, which was actually salmon (even better). Both the burger and the fish came on ciabatta. My fish was a little too subtly spiced to be placed on ciabatta. Several options to spice it up. I chose to eat it sans bread. Very tasty. The sweet potato fries were also excellent. May come back for the very interesting looking huevos rancheros.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2014Ordered the pork belly benedict - absolutely delicious! Service was very lacking - when we arrived, there was only one table occupied, yet our server was not very helpful. She was unenthusiastic, uncaring, and unavailable. We asked about the lemonade and she said it was Minute Maid. Um, yum? Only reason I gave a 2nd star for service is that our food was delivered by the bartender, who took it upon himself to ask if we wanted refills for our iced tea. Wish I could have just given him a tip and skipped the server. One star for ambience because of the multiple flies in the restaurant. Yuck.Special Features: