Bourbon and Beef
5634 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Bourbon and Beef
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bourbonbeef.com/
- Phone: (510) 788-4821
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch from 11-2:30
Brunch from 10-3
Dinner from 5-10
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Latin American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bourbon and Beef
A Latin-inspired, gourmet restaurant..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Bourbon and Beef - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Bourbon and Beef reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (48)great for brunch (34)vibrant bar scene (34)great for lunch (18)special occasion (17)hot spot (17)notable wine list (11)good for groups (10)late-night find (9)romantic (8)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Awkwardly served okay foodMhyphenLVIPDined on 11/22/2014Awkward, intrusive and alternately absent service. Steaks were ok, mashed potatoes cried for salt and richness. French fries were the winner. Was an early dinner so maybe that's why hostess was asking how things were seconds in advance of server? Nothing I'd go back for... Especially for the price.
- Good but a little priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014I went because I had a living social deal. $20 per person for bottomless mimosas is pretty expensive. Their dinner menu was also pricey, but the food and atmosphere were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concept is muddy; service is terribleNurseKristiDined on 11/21/2014There's no such thing as a steakhouse in Oakland, and Bourbon and Beef continues to prove it. This place has such a mixed concept. It's called Bourbon and Beef, but it's a Latin-inspired steakhouse? Then why bourbon? The wall decor looks Asian. The food was fine. The menu has a section called "First Course," but nothing is really appetizer-style for sharing. I would eat Brussels sprouts for a first course, but I'm not going to order them for the table. The cocktail list is interesting, but after trying one, everyone seemed to stick to wine or straight bourbon. Overall, I could have forgiven all of this, except that I had so much time to notice it because the service was terrible. I'm pretty forgiving of servers, but this was a mess. The hostess came by a few times and was way, way more attentive to us than our server. Our server tried to take our food order after we'd only had the menu for a few minutes and had barely decided on a drink. When we told her we needed more time, she took it very literally. There were many points during the dinner when more than one person had an empty beverage, and there was no one around to do anything about it for quite awhile. My boyfriend's side dish and a friend's wine he ordered to enjoy with his entree never came, and no one noticed except that my boyfriend told her to make sure they weren't included on the check before she brought it to us. Once we had the check, we sat, credit cards on top of the check at the end of the table, all glasses empty, no food on table, for a long enough time that we ran out of things to talk about except for all of the restaurant's shortcomings before a friend flagged down a different server to please take our check. Overall, I could have forgiven the mixed concept, noise, decor, but the service. The service. Needs serious help. I'd go back maybe just to sit at the bar and have a drink, or if a friend wanted a burger, but not for a special occasion. Not a reservation-worthy place.Special Features:
- DisappointedwagsVIPDined on 11/17/2014If you like your food served cold and in a pile up you can visit this restaurant. We ordered two small plates and a main and a side. Our drinks came pleasantly soon and then came the disaster. Within two minutes of receiving our small plates our main and side arrived. There was no room on the table to put everything! When I reached For a fry it was room temperature and moving this to the side to signal the waiter, my husband tried the rib and it was cold. Even the waiter was surprised into exclaiming it was ice cold! We won't go back.
- Too much garlic!HillmillDined on 11/10/2014Did not like the brussel sprouts as they were smothered in too much garlic. The pork chop was not very tender. My friend had the fried chicken, which she said she enjoyed. The servers were friendly but not very attentive. Our water glasses were frequently left empty for too long.
- Booth for TwoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent, intimate experience. Great combination of casual-chic dress, gourmet dining and attentive service. Try the steak and salmon, creamed spinach, pumpkin creme brulee and espresso chocolate mousse. Ginger beer. Extensive wine list. Second visit; will return.Special Features:
- Great BrunchfitndineVIPDined on 11/7/2014Good neighborhood eatery at Rockridge. Must try the crab cakes...I had two orders!Special Features:
- Nope.AHAHVIPDined on 11/4/2014The second I walked in, I wanted to walk out. I thought I would give it a chance, ugh. The place is extremely bright (lots of bright lights), I thought perhaps they were PGE shareholders. It looks like a diner, big TV over the bar and dining area, weird layout. One of the first things that caught my eye when I walked in (after my eyes adjusted to the lights) was the kitchen.... and three huge bottles of cleaning fluid. Yuck. The crowd was primarily elderly when I was there. The food is decent but some items...like steak are very expensive and poorly prepared. The service was spotty. I would guess the owners are laundering money through the place because it seems like people who are clueless about dining are behind it.
- Menu far too smallJaniceStewartDined on 11/3/2014The food is delicious but servings small and prices very high for the amount served. Additionally there are not very many choices. I went here to meet a friend, I thought there would have been more choices. Manhattans were good.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceHeymikemasonDined on 10/31/2014Really tasty and incredibly attentive and friendly staff!Special Features:
- Fun Neighborhood SpotnamsmomDined on 10/27/2014The B and B bartenders mix a good drink. We started with a scotch drink, even tho they specialize in bourbons. Ordered the delicious brussel sprouts, a nice salad, and the half rack of ribs. The ribs were excellent, especially with a lovely Wine from Spain. No dessert this trip altho we were tempted by a couple of items on the menu. Service was good even tho we were given a rather flimsy excuse for not being seated in one of several empty and quieter booths. Waitstaff was knowledgeable if a tad slow getting to us and getting our first drink. All in all, a very nice meal at a relatively moderate price in a nice neighborhood with easy nighttime parking in the BART lot just steps away. Been there once before and will go againSpecial Features:
- Worth repeatingStephDined on 10/22/2014My friend and I had a great time at Bourbon and Beef. Kimberly, our server, was excellent throughout the evening in every way. The cocktail menu was enticing enough (with the bourbon and rye flights, etc.) that I would come back just on the strength of that. We shared the crab cakes, perfect as a light appetizer. I had the ribeye and creamed spinach; and my only tiny complaint would be that the spinach was a little too "healthy" and not creamy/rich enough for my taste. But all was delicious. I was a little put off by the TV in the bar, but it was the World Series so I understand. Also, I'm not too keen on being shown my dessert choices on a tray- seemed a little tacky :-). But all in all, loved it and would highly recommend it to others.Special Features:
- B&B Back w/ a revised menuMobocracyDined on 10/18/2014Menu revision makes B&B a spot to try again if you had a poor experience in the past. Waitstaff were helpful and responsive. Drink mixing was great. Food was flavorful and decently plated. I'm heading back again.Special Features:
- Price not worth the entire mealArmchaircriticDined on 10/18/2014I don't mind spending for a great meal and I don't mind an average meal. But I do mind and an average meal priced like a great meal. On a whim, we decided to try someplace new. Our usual spots are tried and true and we love them so much we don't stray often. Here are the main issues- server opens by telling us there is a new chef and things are finally getting ironed out, ahi tuna app suggested is over powered by super sweet jam in abundance, hamburger is mediocre, brussels sprouts arrive in pool of brownish sauce with red peppers despite their description and dessert didn't show. When it finally did, the fritters were thick, doughy and lacked the menu identified ice cream. Upon inquiry we were told the new chef had changed the menu.
- MichaelDined on 10/16/2014Excellent onion soup, good steak, xxxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx,Special Features:
- Perfect find!JusgdfoodplsDined on 10/11/2014Fantastic brunch! The best burger my husband ever had. You would not think that you could get another take on tacos, but the flavors of both dishes were impressive. FRESH! FRESH! FRESH! Herb crusted goat cheese salad with beets could not be "beat". Totally attentive, helpful, perceptive service. Delicious bottomless mimosas were made with fresh orange juice. The juice did not overwhelm the champagne making it too sweet. The best I have ever had at a brunch. We will return often and refer all of our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BEEF!!!kennNkevinDined on 10/10/2014on the night we ate, we invited our neighbors to go with us. Once we arrived we were seated and greeted by our server promptly. i forgot my glasses and knew they had a cheese burger so ordered that. AWESOME! the noise level was slightly louder than expected, but tht may have been due to seating location, right next to the bar end. We will all go again.Special Features:
- Great burger, so-so crab cakesGreenieVIPDined on 10/8/2014The bloody mary was delish, the burger very tasty, but the blue crab cakes were blah. Sweet potato fries very good. Very nice server who also had to tend bar, however, at mid-day.Special Features:
- Bottomless mimosa great! Food is okSommDined on 10/5/2014I ordered a seared ahi tuna sandwich, but the bun they used did not soak up the juice n sauce that was on the sandwich that the roll became soggy and fell apart, it was difficult to eat. The burger was okay too. What was annoying was the flies that we constantly had to shoo away!
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2014The food here is so delicious, and unique blends of tastes. My guests were very pleased. So glad you're in the 'hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FeelingsHappyVIPDined on 9/27/2014As first-timers we were greeted/seated promptly/pleasantly by an attentive host. My menu was missing all the food pages.Server was condescending when she pointed out where they would be only to find the pages, indeed, were missing. Later, each item was delivered in a timely way, well presented, and very,very tasty. Dessert: Many plantain fritters with a golf-ball-sized scoop of ice cream.Insufficient serving of ice cream to complement the amount of fritters for one person let alone for two to share! We immediately asked for additional ice cream. After consulting with the "Chef," the young man seemed embarrassed to tell us "the chef nearly took my head off and said NO." Bill was presented during dessert.No further drinks/service offered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place near Rockridge BART2lazy2cookDined on 9/25/2014The French onion soup was excellent and served in a little iron crock. Also had the paella which was also very good. The restaurant has a bar, which was full when we entered, and the crowd was lively. The wait staff was solicitous but sometimes it was hard to catch their eye. We asked for some bread and it was stale. The noise level was a little loud at times.Special Features:
- SharonSharonDined on 9/23/2014The moment that I entered the restaurant, I did not have good feelings about Bourbon and Beef. Our reservations were at 11:45. We never saw anyone eating, but, us. I had the "Steak and Eggs". Steak was dry, tough and no taste... probably, frozen. My companion had the carnitas sandwich. It was tasty. No one came into the restaurant when we left.
- Love the food, hate the noise.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/19/2014Loved the food, hated the noise. Too bad, since otherwise fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and drinksRflrobDined on 9/18/2014We were surprised and disappointed when many items from the online menu weren't offered, but we found a great set of entrees. The risotto in particular was exquisite, and the service was attentive without being too pushy.Special Features:
- Bourbon and BeefAITCHPEEBEDined on 9/15/2014Really enjoyed this restaurant. Three of us had three different entrees and deserts, all excellent, well-thougtout and executed. Deserts are big, enough to share two ways, or even three. The only drawback is the name -- sounds like a sport's bar or a rowdy place, and it is neither. The barman said they hear this a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A happy surprisegoodtimebyallDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed the food, wine (recommended by our server) Excellent choices on the menu and the service was most efficient. We look forward to returning. Our one complaint was the noise level - it was difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnermom4WyattDined on 9/8/2014My hustband's birthday was a Monday when a lot of places are closed. We wanted to try something new, so this B&B looked like it had all the fish and beef options we like. The fried brussel sprouts we had as an appetizer did not disappoint- crisp and tasty, balsamic vinegar sauce tingled in the mouth with a super sweet after taste - YUM. His steak entree - a rib eye was great, but we both noticed that other dishes - gravy on his mashed potatoes, greens and mussels were too salty for our tastes. Our server was attentive and sweet - turned off the vent when we said it was drafty at the table and comped our fried plantain dessert when it came after 20 minutes of waiting ..........I might go back, but not for a birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud!AlainDined on 9/6/2014The food was mostly really good, cocktails were excellent and service was outstanding. However, a group next to us was so loud that I couldn't hear my table mate and vice versa without yelling. It destroyed our experience. I don't know if if acoustics are that bad or if it was just that group. We will not go back because of that which is unfortunate because I'd like to give the rest of the menu a chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu ChangefitndineVIPDined on 9/6/2014I have been to this restaurant numerous times. They have changed the menu and all my favorite bites are no longer on the menu. Still have a great burger and their sundae too must try.Special Features:
- Good food, average serviceoaklandeaterVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was my first time here, as well as my friend's. The brunch food was well executed (I had huevos rancheros) but the service was average. The first round of Bloody Marys came in very small glasses (like short tumblers) - I've never seen such small Bloody Marys - while the second round came in mason jars, which was more generous and much more stylish. Had I not had a Groupon, it would have been way too expensive for what we got.Special Features:
- Superb PaellaJoKoDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I went there for dinner. We had the paella. It was so good. We split it. We had wine. And for dessert we had plantains with ice cream. It was such a yummy dessert. My recommendation when one goes there is to go early since parking can take a while. There are a lot of residences so parking is at a premium.Special Features:
- Great drinks food and vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014Husband and I dined midweek to celebrate our anniversary. It was a great relaxed but fun vibe. The manager and server were attentive, chatty but not pushy. The drinks were tasty - I had one of the best side cars I've had in years. The brussel sprouts and tacos were faves. And we got to watch the football game! Nice spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food,great server- Lauren!TerriDined on 9/1/2014Took our son, his girlfriend, my MIL and my 94 year old mother for our son's birthday on Labor Day. The food was delish, especially the Wagyu Beef risotto - yum!! It was a tad too noisy for my elderly mother, but that's due to her hearing aids. We did have to play musical chairs in order to converse with everyone there. But the best part of the evening, by far, was our delightful server, Lauren. She was terrific and made us feel very special! NOTE TO BOURBON & BEEF: Hold on to her!!!!Special Features:
- Great food but awful serviceMeabDined on 8/31/2014The brunch food was excellent. The potatoes were amazing. But for such good food the service was terrible. Waited almost an hour with one apology and then our waitress hid from us for the rest of the meal. One of our orders didn't have everything on it that was on the menu. The service here has been a challenge from the beginning. The first time I went for dinner I had to wait a half hour and was scolded for using open table for a reservation. At least that time the manager caught what was going on and went out of his way to make our experience enjoyable.
- too much beefEatzRiteDined on 8/29/2014The service was good, the beef ravioli too rich for my taste (although I like rich), mussels appetizer too salty, the place too noisy also. Did not see sparkling water price on the menu, but was a little shocked to see on the bill we were paying $12 for two bottles. My fault, but I have been to other restaurants where the price is clearly spelt out. Cocktails not good, I should have asked what brands of liquor were being used. I had a cocktail I have had many times and can make myself, but on this occasion they gave me a headache. My friend did not like her margarita at all. Not the right restaurant for me, but I should have realized, I'm not into bourbon and I have a small capacity for beef. But great for those who want to eat steak!Special Features:
- Good ChoiceDanSDined on 8/25/2014My partner and I went to Bourbon and Beef for a late brunch, and it was a great choice. When we arrived (at 2:30 PM), there were only a couple of tables occupied, as they closed at 3. We ended up staying well past then, but the wait staff never hurried us. The huevos rancheros were great, as was the sausage and eggs. It was a little pricey--if we did not have a Groupon, it would have been over $50 with drinks, dessert, tax and tip--but it is well worth a visit. Maybe next time we will skip the flourless chocolate cake, but only to save money--it was delicious!Special Features:
- Basics are there but...BerkeleyfoodidVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food was very good but the quality of the service really detracted from the experience. For a restaurant in this price range, the service needs to be excellent. Our waitress served the incorrect salads and then got very defensive. The answer to the customer in a high caliber restaurant should always be: "how can I make this food right for you" not "eat this, it's not what you ordered but it's what you get". This especially is true if the diner is paying $140.00 for a party of two.Special Features:
- doesn't live up to the hypeJodiVIPDined on 8/21/2014i sent back my steak. the goat cheese salad was uninspired. french onion soup was delicious. pricey and not that great. also too many tables too close together. very noisy too. nice waitstaff but really not impressed with the food or the space.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2014I've eaten here before and always had excellent service. My server on a Sunday afternoon at 3PM, when it wasn't busy, was vacuous and inattentive. 20 minutes after ordering a sandwich, I had to get up and track her down to ask where my lunch was. When she finally brought my food, I emphatically asked her for ketchup, which she never brought to the table. There is nothing worse than lack of customer service, in my opinion. A good server can make or break a restaurant experience.