Boulton and Watt
5 Avenue A
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Boulton and Watt
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://boultonandwattnyc.com/
- Phone: (646) 490-6004
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Friday: 3:30pm - 4:00am, Saturday: 10:30am - 4:00am,
Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boulton and Watt
A project forged of the passion of a group of partners working and living in the East Village, Boulton & Watt is based on the notion of providing great food and great drink in a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere. Drawing inspiration from the industrial revolution – of which Matthew Boulton & James Watt were pivotal figures with their perfection of the steam engine, which in turn catapulted two continents into a new era. Our location on the corner of Houston & Avenue A melds raw, industrial accents with warm wood and tall windows; creating an intimate yet open atmosphere fitting for all seasons and all clientele. The kitchen serves a full menu; our revised take on classic American and English comfort food late into the night. We love this neighbourhood, and we wanted to create a bar we were proud of. We hope you enjoy sharing in our passion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boulton and Watt reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (30)vibrant bar scene (25)fit for foodies (24)hot spot (22)great for brunch (22)neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (12)great for lunch (10)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Good Management Trumped Bad ServiceHarryBDined on 11/22/2014For unknown reasons, our food was much delayed (adjacent people, who arrived after us, were served, ate, paid and left before our food arrived). The floor Manager apologized and, without our asking, comped the entire meal (and beer). Without that gesture, we would not have returned. With it, we'll talk up Boulton & Watt every chance we take. Mistakes can happen; a good Manager knows what to do about them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!CVF2013Dined on 11/9/2014We had a big group for brunch on a Sunday and the service was great. Drinks were well priced and the portions were huge! Great atmosphere. We loved everything about B&W.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & ambiance.CheesepleaseDined on 11/1/2014Came here with my husband & another couple and it was a good time. The food was good & very reasonably priced but the drinks were just okay. I love craft cocktails & the menu looked great but the actual drinks were just okay. I had the mushroom toasts & kale/artichoke dip as my meal. Both were excellent. The biggest downside was the service. We waited forever for the check & had to track down the waitress for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunchBexie1018Dined on 10/18/2014This was my second visit for brunch but I've also been on an evening! The food is good value and delicious and the cocktails are amazing! Nice relaxed atmosphere! Perfect for a fun start to an evening or weekend fun times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual brunchAli123Dined on 10/5/2014Great to go for a laid-back Sunday brunch to watch football and hang out with friends/watch football. Good deal for brunch cocktails.Special Features:
- Amazing food all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014From appetizers to desserts we all loved everything. The space was very cool and incredible bar scene. Also great for groups - there were 6 of us. We will be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT food!SriKDined on 9/21/2014Went here for brunch on Sunday and the food was pretty incredible! This is definitely a fun space with a fresh/different menu, and our server was on point. I would definitely eat here again..and again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud & CrampedVeggieEaterVIPDined on 9/13/2014I went for dinner recently thinking it was a restaurant but it is not.... this is a bar that happens to serve food. It was so cloud, I had to lean in every time I wanted to say something. The food was decent and had big portions but the noise and table layout really ruin the experience. The tables are so close together you are literally eating right on top of other tables. A couple seated right next to us, looked at each other when the hostess walked away and then went straight for the door. The next couple hated the table too and asked to move but were told no. Tables farthest from the wall are the worst off because they constantly get bumped by the waiters and bar customers hanging out
- All's Well That Ends WellJimMVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not sure how I picked this place, but am glad I did. When we first arrived, I thought it was very noisy - there was a large group celebrating a birthday or something right in the middle of the restaurant - but once their food came, it quieted down :-) Our server was great, the wine was excellent and the food delicious. We had a really nice lunch.Special Features:
- ChefDan10009Dined on 8/25/2014Love the menu and the staff - they understand hospitality!Special Features:
- Great foodCushVIPDined on 8/23/2014Been here several times this year. This is the second time I've been for dinner. Overall, the food was outstanding. Had the guacamole, grilled octopus, blacked Amish brick chicken, and I think one more thing. Everything was great and would highly recommend all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid spaceCraigL1808Dined on 8/14/2014GREAT SPACE, LOCATION, DRINK MENU AND SERVICE- will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, but wrong crowd for my partyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014Dined here for a family birthday dinner hoping for a fun atmosphere with good food. It was fun, and the food was good, but it was the wrong place to bring my 78 year old mother and her 80 year old boyfriend, although the waitress was great at trying to accommodate them. Very loud, but fun atmosphere. Great cocktails and starters - we were less impressed with the main courses. I would definitely come again (as will my twenty-somethings nieces and nephews), but with a smaller and younger group of people.Special Features:
- A good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014good location, good setting allowing groups and couples. Spacious and airy with friendly atmosphere. Can go both - dressd up, or extra casual. Comfortable place to be.Special Features:
- Great spot to meet upjcastleDined on 8/2/2014Nice intimate area in a convenient location. Lots of young adults and very vibrant and energetic. Decent beer/wine selection(Most wine same price, which makes it easier to choose). Food is well flavored and with good portions. Good outdoor seating and with the windows open on a nice day, the breeze flows through inside.Special Features:
- good brunchdridrVIPDined on 8/2/2014interestingly decorated restaurant, well prepared meals for brunch with fairly priced bloody mary's and mimosas. space has nothing to absorb noise, so the interior is very loud and it can be difficult to have a conversation with the person next to you, impossible with the far end of the table. Menu is interesting, all entries were good. The pickles to share were tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Boulton and Watt reviews archive.
- MaxVDined on 7/27/2014One of our favorite brunch places! The ambiance is bright, because of all the large windows letting in sunlight, but the wood decor makes it feel cozy nevertheless. The food is always fantastic, original and comforting (with vegetarian options) and the mimosas and sangria are boozy and delightful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014I have eaten here once before outside and the food was not great but it was nice to eat outside in this area. I made a late reservation 10pm and I was surprised there were no table outside at that time. We ate inside which was beyond loud. We had to scream to talk to each other. The service was terrible. We had to ask for our waiter anytime we wanted to order anything or needed the check. I will not be back.
- Lower Eastside StandoutclosetfoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great for foodies and those who love creative cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchJmanDined on 7/20/2014Innovative and fresh brunch menu. Reasonable price for NYC. Busy and loud atmosphere but place has a good energy. Ate there on a beautiful July early afternoon with windows and doors open to street. Food and service were both good. Young crowd,lots of groups.Special Features:
- Great food and great servicehmm2Dined on 7/20/2014I have been here a few times for dinner and most recently a brunch with a large group. We have always been very happy and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Afternoon relaxingSusanDined on 7/19/2014Great view for people watching on Houston St. Food was good, casual, open and airy. Went for an early dinner before the UCBeast show at 7. Fills up fast so make a reservation if going after 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service, fun sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014The menu selection was great, the food was very good, the service was also great and it was a fun bar to stay at afterwards to make a night of it.Special Features:
- Great Vegetarian OptionEmilyDined on 6/24/2014If you're vegetarian, the veggie burger is a must. In the running for best veggie burger in all of NYC. The rosemary fries that come with it are delicious as well. The portions are huge so if you get a burger, definitely don't need appetizers.Special Features:
- Awesome place.Great food,drinks.HHAGDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I randomly walked into Boulton & Watt one Friday night and fell in love with it. It has such a cool look with wall to wall windows that swing out. Mickey the bartender was very friendly and down to earth. His drinks were awesome and all the food he recommended was awesome as well. We went again a few weeks later with a group of my friends to celebrate my bday. They were equally impressed with the look, drinks and food. Such a great find. Its our new favorite spot on the LES. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go with a groupNastDined on 5/31/2014Made reservations at Boulton and Watt for 10 people the night before and they were able to seat no problem. The service was great-- our waiter was constantly checking on is and making sure we had everything we needed. The drinks and food was delicious. It was what I would consider high end bar food. I had the fish and chips and the batter on my fish was cooked perfectly. The noise level was very very high so be prepared to yell. But that ends up happening every place with a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, kinda loudmikeVIPDined on 5/31/2014Nice variety of food-- had a hard time choosing. Ordered the chicken pot pie-- it's HUGE. Would have been good to share. Very tasty. Great selection of pickles. Good mack and cheese. Brats in a blanket are a must. It gets kinda loud though-- so if you are going for a nice dinner, go early.Special Features:
- MaxVDined on 5/31/2014This time, our waiter was mediocre t best and kept ignoring us, but the other servers kept picking up his slack. The food was amazing and so were the drinks. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMegGDined on 5/30/2014Hosted party of 15- staff was super accommodating. Cocktails weren't all that strong, but tasted good. Kale fondue is amazing!Special Features:
- Way OverpricedDaKidJoeyDined on 5/30/2014Way overpriced. The pickles were good and the meat in the burger was good but the positives sort of end there. Too much rosemary on the fries, the toppings on the burger were solid but nothing special. Basically, it was just far too much of a price tag for something so thoroughly average in quality. A 20 dollar burger should be more than adequate.Special Features:
- Great but LoudRyanDined on 5/24/2014Went here with my mom to celebrate hers and my birthdays. Food was great, beer and cocktail selection was great, service was great, but holy hell was it loud at 7:30. I'm a weekend bar-goer so I'm used to loud bars but this was even loud for me. I think it was a combination of loudish music forcing people to talk over the music, and poor acoustics due to sound bounding off of a metal plated ceiling. Overall, I would say it would be a great bar to go to on the weekends and may be great for dinner during the week, but if you want to have dinner at a gastropub in the city on the weekend, choose somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We selected this spot for a celebratory group dinner. It was fantastic. The food was delicious (selections included from the pickled menu: beets, cherry peppers & granny smith apples; entrees: the vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs, the chicken, the mahi tacos, mussel pot, burgers, and deserts: the brownie batter and cast iron cookie). The manager and wait staff were very kind and helpful. We would all come back in a heartbeat. Prices were great for the City!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerAnnieVIPDined on 5/14/2014Had dinner on a Wednesday night with my friends, good atmosphere and good food! I like the interior and feel of this place!
- Good VibesNYCKATEDined on 5/14/2014If the Wren & The Smith conceived a love child it would be Boulton and Watt. Great scene- however, wish the bar area was a little larger. Also, felt like our tables were a bit too close together.Special Features:
- BrunchGingerDined on 5/10/2014Came here for brunch with a group of 7. I had Eggs Benedict with pork sausages, very filling. The sangria was a bit watered down but the mimosas were good. Plus $5 for brunch drinks is very reasonable. The French Toast was also good. The one problem one of my friends and I had was the table is a bit old and sharp, we both ended up with not so pretty cuts on our arms but nothing a bandage cant fix. It is very loud and busy but would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Very noisy and inattentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/9/2014Right when we walked in we were sat in the middle of chaos! I couldn't even hear my friend when he was sitting across from me. When I asked to move, the hostess had to ask me to repeat that twice because it was so loud. Then when they sat us in the back of the restaurant next to the bathroom, it took a waitress a very long time to come over and offer drinks. Once we got the drinks it was about 20 Minutes before they took our food order. Still unable to have a conversation with my friend. Then the food was served cold. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience
- Neighborhood Gastro PubChefDan10009Dined on 5/4/2014I love Boulton and Watt. Terrific ambience, inventive comfort food and amazing service. The bartenders have more than a few tricks up their sleeves. And there are usually appealing specials. Great brunch - but make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dinner spot!MontrealHeatherDined on 5/3/2014Really fun dinner spot in the east village with great food and great cocktails! I keep going back for a reason!Special Features:
- Quaint east village eaterySuzerDined on 5/3/2014Great food.... Amazing sangria! Delicious food options and perfect for people watching inside and out. Look forward to my return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeTat011Dined on 5/1/2014Would definitely go back and would like to try other items on the menu. Good/ fun atmosphere... Was wondering where the waitress was a few times, but no big deal. The kale artichoke dip was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.