Boulton and Watt
5 Avenue A
New York, NY 10009Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Boulton and Watt
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://boultonandwattnyc.com/
- Phone: 6464906004
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Friday: 3:30pm - 4:00am, Saturday: 10:30am - 4:00am,
Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boulton and Watt
A project forged of the passion of a group of partners working and living in the East Village, Boulton & Watt is based on the notion of providing great food and great drink in a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere. Drawing inspiration from the industrial revolution – of which Matthew Boulton & James Watt were pivotal figures with their perfection of the steam engine, which in turn catapulted two continents into a new era. Our location on the corner of Houston & Avenue A melds raw, industrial accents with warm wood and tall windows; creating an intimate yet open atmosphere fitting for all seasons and all clientele. The kitchen serves a full menu; our revised take on classic American and English comfort food late into the night. We love this neighbourhood, and we wanted to create a bar we were proud of. We hope you enjoy sharing in our passion.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Boulton and Watt reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (39)fit for foodies (26)hot spot (24)great for brunch (23)vibrant bar scene (23)neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (20)great for lunch (15)late-night find (13)special occasion (12)scenic view (5)romantic (4)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- ChefDan10009Dined on 8/25/2014Love the menu and the staff - they understand hospitality!Special Features:
- Great foodCushVIPDined on 8/23/2014Been here several times this year. This is the second time I've been for dinner. Overall, the food was outstanding. Had the guacamole, grilled octopus, blacked Amish brick chicken, and I think one more thing. Everything was great and would highly recommend all of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid spaceCraigL1808Dined on 8/14/2014GREAT SPACE, LOCATION, DRINK MENU AND SERVICE- will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, but wrong crowd for my partyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2014Dined here for a family birthday dinner hoping for a fun atmosphere with good food. It was fun, and the food was good, but it was the wrong place to bring my 78 year old mother and her 80 year old boyfriend, although the waitress was great at trying to accommodate them. Very loud, but fun atmosphere. Great cocktails and starters - we were less impressed with the main courses. I would definitely come again (as will my twenty-somethings nieces and nephews), but with a smaller and younger group of people.Special Features:
- A good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014good location, good setting allowing groups and couples. Spacious and airy with friendly atmosphere. Can go both - dressd up, or extra casual. Comfortable place to be.Special Features:
- Great spot to meet upjcastleDined on 8/2/2014Nice intimate area in a convenient location. Lots of young adults and very vibrant and energetic. Decent beer/wine selection(Most wine same price, which makes it easier to choose). Food is well flavored and with good portions. Good outdoor seating and with the windows open on a nice day, the breeze flows through inside.Special Features:
- good brunchdridrDined on 8/2/2014interestingly decorated restaurant, well prepared meals for brunch with fairly priced bloody mary's and mimosas. space has nothing to absorb noise, so the interior is very loud and it can be difficult to have a conversation with the person next to you, impossible with the far end of the table. Menu is interesting, all entries were good. The pickles to share were tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaxVDined on 7/27/2014One of our favorite brunch places! The ambiance is bright, because of all the large windows letting in sunlight, but the wood decor makes it feel cozy nevertheless. The food is always fantastic, original and comforting (with vegetarian options) and the mimosas and sangria are boozy and delightful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/26/2014I have eaten here once before outside and the food was not great but it was nice to eat outside in this area. I made a late reservation 10pm and I was surprised there were no table outside at that time. We ate inside which was beyond loud. We had to scream to talk to each other. The service was terrible. We had to ask for our waiter anytime we wanted to order anything or needed the check. I will not be back.
- Lower Eastside StandoutclosetfoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014Great for foodies and those who love creative cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchJmanDined on 7/20/2014Innovative and fresh brunch menu. Reasonable price for NYC. Busy and loud atmosphere but place has a good energy. Ate there on a beautiful July early afternoon with windows and doors open to street. Food and service were both good. Young crowd,lots of groups.Special Features:
- Great food and great servicehmm2Dined on 7/20/2014I have been here a few times for dinner and most recently a brunch with a large group. We have always been very happy and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Afternoon relaxingSusanDined on 7/19/2014Great view for people watching on Houston St. Food was good, casual, open and airy. Went for an early dinner before the UCBeast show at 7. Fills up fast so make a reservation if going after 6.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service, fun sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014The menu selection was great, the food was very good, the service was also great and it was a fun bar to stay at afterwards to make a night of it.Special Features:
- Great Vegetarian OptionEmilyDined on 6/24/2014If you're vegetarian, the veggie burger is a must. In the running for best veggie burger in all of NYC. The rosemary fries that come with it are delicious as well. The portions are huge so if you get a burger, definitely don't need appetizers.Special Features:
- Awesome place.Great food,drinks.HHAGDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I randomly walked into Boulton & Watt one Friday night and fell in love with it. It has such a cool look with wall to wall windows that swing out. Mickey the bartender was very friendly and down to earth. His drinks were awesome and all the food he recommended was awesome as well. We went again a few weeks later with a group of my friends to celebrate my bday. They were equally impressed with the look, drinks and food. Such a great find. Its our new favorite spot on the LES. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go with a groupNastDined on 5/31/2014Made reservations at Boulton and Watt for 10 people the night before and they were able to seat no problem. The service was great-- our waiter was constantly checking on is and making sure we had everything we needed. The drinks and food was delicious. It was what I would consider high end bar food. I had the fish and chips and the batter on my fish was cooked perfectly. The noise level was very very high so be prepared to yell. But that ends up happening every place with a big group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, kinda loudmikeVIPDined on 5/31/2014Nice variety of food-- had a hard time choosing. Ordered the chicken pot pie-- it's HUGE. Would have been good to share. Very tasty. Great selection of pickles. Good mack and cheese. Brats in a blanket are a must. It gets kinda loud though-- so if you are going for a nice dinner, go early.Special Features:
- MaxVDined on 5/31/2014This time, our waiter was mediocre t best and kept ignoring us, but the other servers kept picking up his slack. The food was amazing and so were the drinks. Will return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceMegGDined on 5/30/2014Hosted party of 15- staff was super accommodating. Cocktails weren't all that strong, but tasted good. Kale fondue is amazing!Special Features:
- Way OverpricedDaKidJoeyDined on 5/30/2014Way overpriced. The pickles were good and the meat in the burger was good but the positives sort of end there. Too much rosemary on the fries, the toppings on the burger were solid but nothing special. Basically, it was just far too much of a price tag for something so thoroughly average in quality. A 20 dollar burger should be more than adequate.Special Features:
- Great but LoudRyanDined on 5/24/2014Went here with my mom to celebrate hers and my birthdays. Food was great, beer and cocktail selection was great, service was great, but holy hell was it loud at 7:30. I'm a weekend bar-goer so I'm used to loud bars but this was even loud for me. I think it was a combination of loudish music forcing people to talk over the music, and poor acoustics due to sound bounding off of a metal plated ceiling. Overall, I would say it would be a great bar to go to on the weekends and may be great for dinner during the week, but if you want to have dinner at a gastropub in the city on the weekend, choose somewhere else.Special Features:
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We selected this spot for a celebratory group dinner. It was fantastic. The food was delicious (selections included from the pickled menu: beets, cherry peppers & granny smith apples; entrees: the vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs, the chicken, the mahi tacos, mussel pot, burgers, and deserts: the brownie batter and cast iron cookie). The manager and wait staff were very kind and helpful. We would all come back in a heartbeat. Prices were great for the City!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerAnnieVIPDined on 5/14/2014Had dinner on a Wednesday night with my friends, good atmosphere and good food! I like the interior and feel of this place!
- Good VibesNYCKATEDined on 5/14/2014If the Wren & The Smith conceived a love child it would be Boulton and Watt. Great scene- however, wish the bar area was a little larger. Also, felt like our tables were a bit too close together.Special Features:
- BrunchGingerDined on 5/10/2014Came here for brunch with a group of 7. I had Eggs Benedict with pork sausages, very filling. The sangria was a bit watered down but the mimosas were good. Plus $5 for brunch drinks is very reasonable. The French Toast was also good. The one problem one of my friends and I had was the table is a bit old and sharp, we both ended up with not so pretty cuts on our arms but nothing a bandage cant fix. It is very loud and busy but would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Very noisy and inattentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/9/2014Right when we walked in we were sat in the middle of chaos! I couldn't even hear my friend when he was sitting across from me. When I asked to move, the hostess had to ask me to repeat that twice because it was so loud. Then when they sat us in the back of the restaurant next to the bathroom, it took a waitress a very long time to come over and offer drinks. Once we got the drinks it was about 20 Minutes before they took our food order. Still unable to have a conversation with my friend. Then the food was served cold. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience
- The following 43 reviews are from the Boulton and Watt reviews archive.
- Neighborhood Gastro PubChefDan10009Dined on 5/4/2014I love Boulton and Watt. Terrific ambience, inventive comfort food and amazing service. The bartenders have more than a few tricks up their sleeves. And there are usually appealing specials. Great brunch - but make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dinner spot!MontrealHeatherDined on 5/3/2014Really fun dinner spot in the east village with great food and great cocktails! I keep going back for a reason!Special Features:
- Quaint east village eaterySuzerDined on 5/3/2014Great food.... Amazing sangria! Delicious food options and perfect for people watching inside and out. Look forward to my return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeTat011Dined on 5/1/2014Would definitely go back and would like to try other items on the menu. Good/ fun atmosphere... Was wondering where the waitress was a few times, but no big deal. The kale artichoke dip was delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notchdschampionDined on 4/29/2014Absolutely perfect dinner experience with a few friends, good beer, delicious and filling courses and friendly staff. There's not much in the area like this so check it outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2014I left before even sitting because it was so loud! Good bar scene but not for dinner, way too loud to have a conversation!
- My 2nd time at Boulton andOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 4/13/2014My 2nd time at Boulton and Watt. Fabulous food. Inventive very interesting menu. Very reasonably priced. All in all a great experience. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Freshest guac!KDNYCVIPDined on 4/1/2014I have been many times and their guacamole is consistently delicious. Another good appetizer is the pumpkin hummus - the warm bread is to die for!
- was a touch too crowded andDNNYCVIPDined on 3/16/2014was a touch too crowded and loud for a casual brunch. But still a good spot and I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B&WCloeyDined on 3/9/2014Really happy I decided to stop here for brunch. We had a table of 7. They were a little late on the reservation but very accommodating in the mean time. The food surpassed my expectations and the staff was on point. Very friendly and knowledgeable. They did not rush us when we were done eating, and more people came to join towards the end. It was an excellent experience. I will definitely be back and I recommend highly to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch!delishDined on 3/9/2014HAD THE BEST BRUNCH EVER. Best brunch food I've had in the city and I've lived here 3 years (and I'm an avid bruncher!) Everyone was drooling over their dishes - Cannot wait to go back! 5 dollar bloody mary's (which were amazing) My friends had mimosas which were also amazing. Service was great. We made a reservation and they were extremely accommodating when a couple extra people showed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our regular spotsMWEVDined on 3/8/2014B&W has great food and drinks. The only complaint I have is there's nothing shading/covering the windows. So when the sun is out and you sit facing the windows the sun beams directly into your eyes. It's hard to see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome brunchKw535Dined on 3/8/2014The mimosas are amazing and are also only $5! My frittata was nothing special but my friend's Mac and cheese was amazingly delicious. So many dishes I'd like to try on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.