1 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4155436084
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm; Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nancy Oakes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boulevard
Since its opening in 1993, Boulevard restaurant has been hailed as one of the best restaurants in San Francisco. Created in partnership with designer Pat Kuleto, the elegant, yet warm and welcoming interior of Boulevard is the essence of the Belle Époque style. It is a glorious setting for Chef Nancy Oakes hearty, flavorful, beautiful cuisine. American regional flavors, French influenced style, enthralling design, form the entire experience at Boulevard. Located in the heart of the San Francisco's revived waterfront area, the historic Audiffred Building is the ideal home for Boulevard. Among many wards received, Boulevard was proud to announce being granted the James Beard Award for Outstanding Restaurant 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Boulevard reviews from OpenTable diners
486 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (317)fit for foodies (315)romantic (200)notable wine list (184)scenic view (119)great for lunch (119)hot spot (99)neighborhood gem (94)good for groups (60)vibrant bar scene (55)great for brunch (23)late-night find (13)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Good stop but Coulda been better service. Food was good. Not fond of our waiter taking adjacent table order while pouring our wine. Boo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Boulevard is an outstanding restaurant. The food is superbly prepared and presented. We have been coming here to celebrate our anniversary for many years. The restaurant itself is noisy, but that seems to be the norm these days. If you sit towards the back of the restaurant, especially in the evening, there is a very nice view of the illuminated Bay Bridge and whatever public art work is located near the Ferry Building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- joy of lifeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014Boulevard is a wonderful place to spoil yourself. On this particular occasion, a birthday celebration, they achieved the perfect balance between noticing the occasion (a chocolate happy birthday banner and candle on the birthday woman's dessert) and making an embarrassing fuss (we would have gone elsewhere for that).Special Features:
- DisappointingCarolineDined on 8/26/2014Lacked the "wow" factor we were looking for. Two of the three appetizers we ordered were down right bland (Buffalo Mozzarella Ravioli and Porcini Mushrooms). Our dinner guest's Halibut was dry and was ultimately sent back to the kitchen. Only star of the night was the service. Will not be going back.
- excellent foodVictDined on 8/26/2014the Boulevard restaurant consistently prepares outstanding dishes with unique flair. The restaurant is loud - you must be prepared to listen carefully and speak loudly... One negative - please discard that rule about making a customer call to verify an open table reservation...if I wanted to or had time to call I wouldn't use the online service! and when I did try to call back from the car driving to my business appointments that morning, the number was busy and then unavailable - I had to call 5 times to assure that my reservation was safe! bad business!Special Features:
- Has Boulevard Slipped?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014Boulevard sadly was less than average on our last visit from start to end. We waited 20 minutes for our table. No concern had been given for my specific request to accommodate a lactose/gluten free guest. My pork was over cooked and dry. One order was wrong and a guest not served until everyone had finished. Certainly not what we expected.
- Everyone deserves a meal here.distinctivepalateDined on 8/25/2014In our search for a restaurant in San Francisco that pleases everyone, now we have found it. We celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary with our first visit here. This capped off this event. What a universally spectacular place for an extraordinary meal!! We will be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/25/2014It is tradition to celebrate my birthday at Boulevard every year and this year did not let me down. Best Bavette steak ever! Great service! Amazing food! Love! Love! Love!Special Features:
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2014Had some very unique menu items. I'm all for trying new things. Unfortunately none of the flavors were that great. Our waiter highly recommended the tuna. I thought it was okay at best. Ultimately, my last experience at Michael Mina was far better.
- Uneven (2.5 stars)NameVIPDined on 8/24/2014It's about the food here and this night it was somewhat off. The beet salad was excellent - a wonderful mix of flavors and textures. I had the halibut and it was overcooked. I don't think halibut should be dry and stringy. The other non-discernible items on the plate were quite good, however. The mixed berry crisp for dessert was OK: looked nice, a bit static in taste, but nothing particularly exciting or different than any other crisp. Service? Hmm... I think being a single diner has some disadvantageous and in this case, there were periods where I didn't see the primary waiter for a long time. I also found the bus boys/backups intrusive and obtuse. It wasn't a memorable or satisfying dinner. Oh well.
- Wonderful restaurantSuzanneBVIPDined on 8/23/2014Beautiful art deco decor. Our table had a view of the Bay Bridge all lit up. Our waiter was amazing - friendly, funny, attentive, great recommendations. Food and drinks were top notch. Inventive combinations, quality ingredients & beautiful presentation. We would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great flavors, wish there was more!LuvOTVIPDined on 8/23/2014Loved the food at this popular SF hotspot however wished there was a bit more. I'm not one who likes BIG plates of food but found the portions so tiny with prices that were not inline with what you receive. My husband's lamb dish was so delicious but was literally two small pieces for about $38. Loved the pork chop but there too, was quite small for the price tag. Service was good but the most attentive was the busboy. Wait staff was nice but absent most of our dinner. Overall we liked it but it will be quite a while before we return. So may other great restaurants with outstanding food too.Special Features:
- As Good as EverMOSFDined on 8/23/2014This was a special occasion dinner and they did not disappoint. Service was impeccable. They are definitely well trained. Scallop starter rivaled what had been best ever (France). Pork chop was perfectly done, tender juicy and delicious. Halibut tasted fresh and was nicely done. Saved room for dessert. Butterscotch pudding was so yummy. It all reinforces how they continue their high standards and remain one of top restaurants in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a let downJoyBellVIPDined on 8/23/2014I took my parents here for dinner and the service and food was simply amazing. Why is this significant? My dad is the pickiest diner alive. Furthermore, he hates snooty restaurants ( if he hears Michelin star he gets defensive). However, the halibut and scallops were so good he could not complain. I do not remember our waiters name but he was lovely. I look forward to dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dallasdesignerDined on 8/22/2014We dined at Boulevard for our Anniversary last year and came back this year. Food was really good, but not as good as last year. The tuna was excellent though! If we go back to San Francisco again next year, we will return to Boulevard.Special Features:
- It was ok not over the topErockDined on 8/22/2014For a james beard award winner i thought what is the big deal . My table was cramped heard the next table conversation. Noisy place as i had made reservations a month prior and was just placed on a cramped table to side.....:( i live in asheville north carolina and the place i visit for dinner quite often is the admiral. It should get all the acclamation as the boulevard. The admiral exceeds all that i tasted at the boulevard. I give the boulevard a fair to good..... A little overrated.... Sorry:(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Luver0725Dined on 8/22/2014Our server, my apologies, but I can't remember her name. She was professional, friendly, informative and attentive. We were on our honeymoon and loved the two seater! The food was spectacular...Thank you for the wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco ClassicMiniMarniDined on 8/22/2014The Boulevard is a classic San Francisco eatery with great food and excellent ambience. The service is outstanding and we were well looked after by staff who understood as we were there for lunch we needed to be back at work in a reasonable time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014Delicious food at a high but reasonable price. Found excellent value for the quality, glad we tried it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CONSISTENTLY WONDERFULCal2VIPDined on 8/20/2014Great spot. Always hitting the long ball at dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love It - Want MoreThrillmoreVIPDined on 8/20/2014Fantastic food beautifully presented, great service and beautiful ambience. I would always return, despite sometimes finding portions a bit on the small side. In a way, that's a compliment. Just a couple more bites per plate - I want more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CliffVIPDined on 8/19/2014Still one of the best of the Bay Area. Quail was superb, special Porcini dish was amazing texture and flavor and all dishes were perfectly presented.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentSFdinerDined on 8/19/2014Unique is the high standard of experience that Boulevard delivers. Great wait staff, well prepared California cuisine. The special porcini mushroom appetizer is packed with flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East Bay LocalStomachLadyDined on 8/18/2014Since I work in the City and live in the East Bay, I had yet to make it to Boulevard until recently. I took a friend to dinner on a Monday night fairly early. By seven the restaurant was full. The food was delicious, we had the scallops appetizer, beet salad, lamb and swordfish and dessert. The service was prompt and even better solicitous without being overly familiar or cold. We were two women and treated as nicely as the table of four clearly well-heeled business diners entertaining international guests. My friend wanted a certain kind of chocolate desert that was not on the menu and the waiter offered to ask the kitchen to come close to that. Wow! A great evening altogether!Special Features:
- Just ordinaryDutchPeterDined on 8/18/2014Bearing in mind that this restaurant has a Michelin Star, we were a bit disappointed. We visited this restaurant before 2 yrs ago, and the food was much much better. Not that it was bad this time, but it just did not meet the quality you may expect from a Michelin Star restaurant!Special Features:
- VERY GOOD, BUT A LITTLE OFF TONIGHTFoodiesGaloreVIPDined on 8/17/2014This One Star Michelin rated restaurant located within a beautiful landmark building, offers a stunning interior, created by Pat Kuleto. Street parking is not bad, but take advantage of their Valet ! We ordered a fantastic bottle of the Rafanelli Zin, Dry Creek Valley ($68) - what a deal ! The SEA SCALLOPS ($19) included 3 small scallops, but very good * The evening special was Risotto with Truffles = Amazing!!! * The ANGUS FILET MIGNON ($48) was Excellent * My favorite Berkshire Pork Prime Rib Chop ($37) was good, although a little dry tonight . . . so that with a waiter that was also a little off = 4 stars for this evening, not 5. As we know, restaurants can have off nights, as our last experience (earlier this year) was Phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine, Great Appetz, Good foodarunDined on 8/16/2014Busy..even at 10pm in the night. I don't mean the restaurant. Even the bar in which you have to wait for the table. We got a table with a great view..that's a nice experience for first timers. Appetizers were really good (abalone?). Great Pinot Noir Wine. We ordered lamb, beef and pork :). Lamb was the best. Pork/Beef - we thought it was just OK. (This is my second fine dining experiment and i am not an expert on beef/pork. So take this Indian guy's review with a pinch of salt). Dessert menu had ONLY ice cream based items. Ambiance was nice. Service was excellent. Recommended (little overpriced).Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Went with some friends on a friday night, and the food was terrrific (they had lamb, I had halbut - both great). They were also very accomodating when we asked about gluten free options, and when the server heard he'd have to leave the fried tomotoes off of the lamb dish, he checked with the chef, who made them gluten free so my friends were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Food--Great ExperienceJBFIDined on 8/15/2014Reception: I was greeted by name, they noted my request for a booth, the four of us were seated immediately at 6:00pm. Food: Appetizer and Main Course Selection was interesting and varied, the food excellent. East Coast friends enjoyed the local, fresh food. Dessert: Very tasty, but warning--the bon bon is one very small bite on a stick. We had a laugh over it, but it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- touristtouristDined on 8/14/2014Great food, pretty noisy for lunch. definitely would go back, expensive but a fun SF experienceSpecial Features:
- The boulevardGrammandDunnDined on 8/13/2014Great food a staple of san Fransico and the food is always the best in townSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!ShanDined on 8/13/2014I've been here many times before, but took a friend from out of town there for dinner. Great place. You can't have a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!DoctorRVIPDined on 8/13/2014Boulevard remains one of our absolute favorite restaurants. Menu selections and preparation are flawless. Eating here is a gastronomic treat offering innovative dishes beautifully presented and my wife and i always look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Great food, view, service.Mcf96VIPDined on 8/13/2014I've been a fan of Boulevard since it opened 1993. The decor, food, service and overall experience has always been great and consistent throughout the years. Perhaps I'm a bit nostalgic but I'm so happy that Boulevard has stayed it's course in delivery quality food and service.Special Features:
- ThomasDined on 8/11/2014Many people recommended this restaurant for us and we were not disappointed. The food was fantastic and the environment was nice and friendly. We loved dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly good mealsffoodieDined on 8/10/2014No disappointments; on the other hand, no spectacular tastes. We enjoyed the swordfish and salmon entrees; both prepared well, nicely presented, and decent portions. Dessert was excellent, and again, beautifully presented. Our service was generally attentive though it felt somewhat rote--I had to ask the server to explain some things (such as the various ingredients in the dessert) which he did, but without much enthusiasm. Still, a good experience and we would go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Ate at Boulevard our first night in SF. Our expectations were high and we were not disappointed! The service was exceptional. Our server was even able to substitute my request for goat cheese instead of blue cheese in my appetizer. Our entrees were plated beautifully and tasted even better. What a great meal! Atmosphere was great and not too noisy so that we could converse easily.Special Features:
- notinahurrynotinahurryDined on 8/9/2014saturday evening dining at 5:45pm was expecting a hurried meal for second seating but there was no such. waiter was very attentive and accomodating for our first experience. we enjoyed each others company without pressure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bypassDined on 8/8/2014It was a busy night, which helps set the vibe, but the service seemed over whelmed, so probably under manned.Special Features:
- Still one of the best in the CityCowHollowLocalDined on 8/8/2014We took out-of-town guests to dinner at Boulevard after a multiyear absence, and were very pleasantly surprised by how well the meal quality has been maintained and evolved over the years. It is still straight forward high-end American cuisine, but if anything a little lighter, fresher and more unique to keep up with sophistication in tastes. The only objection was that the seating - at least in the booths - is on the tight side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.