1 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4155436084
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm; Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nancy Oakes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boulevard
Since its opening in 1993, Boulevard restaurant has been hailed as one of the best restaurants in San Francisco. Created in partnership with designer Pat Kuleto, the elegant, yet warm and welcoming interior of Boulevard is the essence of the Belle Époque style. It is a glorious setting for Chef Nancy Oakes hearty, flavorful, beautiful cuisine. American regional flavors, French influenced style, enthralling design, form the entire experience at Boulevard. Located in the heart of the San Francisco's revived waterfront area, the historic Audiffred Building is the ideal home for Boulevard. Among many wards received, Boulevard was proud to announce being granted the James Beard Award for Outstanding Restaurant 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Boulevard reviews from OpenTable diners
511 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (348)special occasion (341)romantic (207)notable wine list (205)hot spot (120)scenic view (115)neighborhood gem (111)great for lunch (111)good for groups (78)vibrant bar scene (70)great for brunch (18)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- Boulevard Restaurant, San FranciscoRickDined on 10/24/2014By far, the best pork chop I have ever had. This is a wonderful restaurant with an attentive staff. Dining here was a pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers a bit pompous, unfriendly.YancyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Boulevard is beautiful. The food was delicious. The wine list was extensive. All in all, a good experience. I can't say "great" experience because the staff was, to a person, uptight and unfriendly. It's too bad because I would go back otherwise. But I will probably choose, instead, to go somewhere with equally good atmosphere and food -- and with a more friendly and welcoming vibe.Special Features:
- A SF OriginalthombuiDined on 10/24/2014Always consistent with a changing and diverse menuSpecial Features:
- Service slowlacabezitaDined on 10/24/2014We ordered our food and between starters and mains was a huge lap, my main dish vegies were cold and the chicken hot, very disturbing, wine selection good and service very niceSpecial Features:
- Boulevard LunchdanielleDined on 10/24/2014My lunch was okay. The appetizers - tuna tartar and heirloom salad were good. My fish entree was just warm, not a good cut of swordfish - while my client's salmon was severely overcooked. Staff and service was very accommodating and wine was delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Wonderful service. A little noisy for us (we have hearing issues), but excellent service, food and quality made it a great night out.Special Features:
- HandDined on 10/23/2014Over the years Boulevard is consistently good in all respects. Whenever there is a dilemma about where to eat, we almost always chose Boulevard and we are never disappointed. The service is always attentive without being overly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boulevard is the BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Once again, Boulevard proved to offer a fabulous dining experience even during the World Series (they have no TV in the bar) since I was getting together with an old friend and wanted to catch up. We had a lovely meal and a lovely talk, an oasis of peace amide the craziness of the Series!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/22/2014I've been going to Boulevard for many years, and this time was just as great as the first. Food is excellent, service is on the spot, and the menu keeps getting better and more interesting every time I'm there.Special Features:
- Spectacular food and serviceTallPhilVIPDined on 10/21/2014I had the porcini mushroom and gnocchi to start and the swordfish as entre. Both prepared perfectly. Service attentive and friendly. Wines by the glass excellent too. Great dining experience!Special Features:
- Boulevard, just okayLoLoDined on 10/20/2014Took my boyfriend here for his birthday. The valet service was nice, but I was a little upset they left the window in my car down & the keys in the car when it was parked. Anyone could've gotten in and driven away. It also smelled horrible near the valet, like rotting food. Inside we were seated promptly and they took my coat to hang up. Our waitress was pleasant and got our drink orders fairly quickly. We had scallops as a starter - those were okay, barely warm. The bread and butter were cold. Our main dishes took SO LONG to get to us. My salmon was way way on the raw side for me and wasn't that flavorful. My boyfriend said his lamb was very good though and both our desserts (sherbet & creme brulee) were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing SpotThonor1Dined on 10/18/2014This restaurant has amazing food and a great drink list. We had a reservation booked well in advance, as we knew this was supposed to be a busy spot. Well worth the effort. Best meal we've had in a very long time.Special Features:
- DisappointingBarrettVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have been dining at Boulevard for over 15 years. Our most recent experience was less than stellar. It just felt like something was off. Our party of four had a shared starter before we each had an individual one. The four starters were brought out before the first starter plates had been cleared. It was crowded and sloppy. But the main problem was the temperature of the food. I think the expediting may have been off and perhaps the plates sat too long before they were brought to our table. Both the Ravioli and the Spot Prawn starters were barely warm. The same for the Lamb Main course; it was tepid. Usually we have an exceptional dining experience at Boulevard. For our most recent experience there this was not the case.Special Features:
- Wonderful every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/17/2014Boulevard is our favorite restaurant in San Francisco - it's always a special dining experience at all levels, beautiful food; many excellent wines to choose from; upbeat, knowledgeable servers who are appropriate attentive; and a lively, bustling atmosphere that makes you feel as if you are at a special occasion. There is nothing pretentious about Boulevard - it knows its craft and delivers it superbly.Special Features:
- Loveit2VIPDined on 10/17/2014We loved if. Can't wait to go back the food, the service ,everything about was greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- AWESOME!!!BENIHOOTADined on 10/17/2014A must for a great dining experience in SFO. Great atmosphere, food was delicious with very nice presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gemfoodie2Dined on 10/17/2014I enjoyed my lunch, table was a bit small to conduct business lunch. I would definitely come back for a more leisure lunch to enjoy. loved the flavored lemonades. portions were small, next time I want to try the burger it looked delicious. Lobster bisque was amazing.Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodieTravelerDined on 10/16/2014Did not live up to hype. Service was marginal (apps delivered before any drinks) and delivery pace hurried. Don't sit anywhere near kitchen, as restaurant AC is ancient and doesn't work well. Restaurant is extremely noisy. Items recommended by server were not good. Lobster ravioli was doughy and tasteless. Tenderloin entree was completely unseasoned, bland. On the other hand, the porchini and polenta app was excellent. The spiced lamb entree was exceptional. Overall 50/50 on items we tried. What a shame. Service was typical of an Olive Garden. Slanted Door and Coqueta were much better choices.
- SuperbBarbaraDined on 10/16/2014One of the most elegant restaurants in SF. The waiters are knowledgeable and attentive. Every dish was a treat. Especially the swordfish served on a bed of risotto. Perfectly complemented the fish. The desserts are a delightful surprise. Totally wackadoo and fun. A wasabi merengue? with the best carmeled apple slices and caked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annual Special DinnerDianDined on 10/14/2014We look forward to coming to San Francisco and dinner at The Boulevard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysMollyVIPDined on 10/13/2014Since its beginning Boulevard has stuck with its original concept and it works! Call me old fashioned but there's something to be said about no thrills, no frills and no bizarre presentation food and drinks. Good food and good service in my opinion is their recipe for success! For starters we shared the goat cheese and medjool date salad along with the spicy sesame ahi tuna tartare and the seared sea scallops. All three were great! Again no thrills, no frills, no weird presentation, just good tasting food with fresh ingredients. For the entrees my wife had the salmon and I had the burger, both were perfectly cooked! For dessert we shared the butter scotch pudding and it was fantastic! We will most definitely return and recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014We heard this restaurant was a San Fran icon so we went for lunch. We had TERRIBLE service, waiter treated us like we were children. Didn't even check on us while we were eating or ask if we wanted a second drink. When he gave us the bill he didn't come back for the credit card, instead another waitress had to come over and help us close the tab. He didn't thank us or say goodbye when we left. Food was cooked by line cooks not chefs. Ambience was dark and depressing - I'd never recommend it.
- Fancy but meh foodRyanVIPDined on 10/13/2014I was really disappointed with my salmon during lunch. It wasnt flaky at all- I had to use a knife to eat it. My kale ceaser was good however.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/11/2014I am still dreaming of my vege main course!! It was just so good!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We only had one night in San Francisco and wanted to make it memorable. Boulevard was recommended by a local person as the place that put San Fran on the map for dining. We started with cocktails and they were perfect. I had the stuffed calamari for appetizer and the pork chop for entree. It was all terrific. I highly recommend this restaurant if you enjoy fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Anniversary!TheMTQDined on 10/11/2014My husband had visited Boulevard several times while in San Francisco on business, always coming home and rubbing it in. We happened to be in SF together on our anniversary so naturally chose Boulevard. It was wonderful!Special Features:
- DisappointedNoway4usDined on 10/11/2014We have dinned at this restaurant many times, but this time we were very disappointed overall. Our waiter was below average with his service. For example I mentioned that I didn't want a cream based meal so please remove cheese from salad. He brought the salad with cheese and also forgot to mention that the greens sat on a swirl of creamy dressing. Also the salad was so small that it was unbelievable. I have eaten there many times but never had a salad quite so skimpy. It was the beet salad. Hard to find a beet in there because they were the size of a 1/4 peanut if that. The dessert was also very disappointing, but the waiter was the worst. I expect more from a high cost restaurant like Blvd. We will not likely go back.Special Features:
- Inspired Flavor CombinationsdrsarahcDined on 10/11/2014One of the best meals of my life! Flavors and textures are combined in unexpected, inspired, inspirING ways. For example, the simply-named "avocado salad" consisted of (and I may be getting some of this wrong): shaved truffles, a quartered avocado, housemade ricotta, arugala, a few chopped nuts (walnuts?), and a bit of fruit (currants?). A single bite was earthy-creamy-salty-bitter-crunchy-sweet! The lamb "steak" was seasoned with the perfect amount of cumin and garlic; it came with a small keema samosa and vegetable(s) I've forgotten, all on a thin bed of mashed potatoes. Dessert included butterscotch pudding: another simply-named dish done to I-can-die-happy-right-now perfection. Service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still GreatPRloverDined on 10/11/2014Thank you Boulevard for the great seats at my wife and son's birthday celebrations. The food is still outstanding, although the flavor and texture of the lobster ravioli was fair. The swordfish was fresh and tasty and the filet was cooked perfectly (pink and juicy as I had ordered). Our server was ok and did not engage very well but all in all, still a wonderful venue.Special Features:
- latenightdinnerDined on 10/9/2014What more can one say? The food was excellent, the service was superior and the atmosphere was just right. We were celebrating our fiftieth anniversary and it was memorable in every respect.Special Features:
- quite good but not greatDiscriminatingDinerDined on 10/9/2014Friendly service in an extremely lively environment. As others note,food is generally well-prepared though there is not much choice. Appetizers,truffle/avocado salad and raviolo with mushrooms imaginative and good. Quail was delicious. No effort at all on sides-a smear of potato,a flower,totally undercooked squash. One in our party had sole,a tiny raft of fish on pilings of fingerling potatoes. It seemed meager for a man. Dessert of butterscotch pudding was good-sized but lacked strong flavors/a side of chocolate pudding,whipped cream,nuts. Accompanying shortbread was stale. Desserts may be a weak spot. Still,it is a fun place for pricey but good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the BEST!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/7/2014Boulevard is the best restaurant in San Francisco. Timing on everything is always perfect. They always make you feel like you are a special guest. I will always boast that this is the best place to eat in SF.Special Features:
- Dinner at BoulevardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Although we had a business dinner, it was very relaxed and comfortable. The meals were fabulous, the wine was notable and we enjoyed every morsel.Special Features:
- Boulevard continues to astoundKlkkVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've been privileged to dine at Boulevard many times. Each and every one has been a truly outstanding experience - food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special MealMikMackMomDined on 10/6/2014We booked a reservation at Boulevard as the last meal of our 4-day college visits in CA. We had a few hours before our flight left and this seemed like the perfect place to end our time. We loved everything from the welcome we received to the server and his personal attention to the little details in the room that were so amazing (architecture, decorations). Our food was phenomenal and we enjoyed every single bite. We did have trouble getting there, only because the Giants game let out as we were driving there and it took 45 minutes to go the last 2 miles. But it was worth every minute in traffic. Don't miss this if you're in San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AussieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014We enjoyed Boulevard as it was a real San Francisco experience. I particularly enjoyed my quail and the wine[s] were great. The service was efficient enough without being over the top. Unfortunately it will be sometime before we are back given the tyranny of distance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Restaurent/Highly recommendedCas1203Dined on 10/5/2014Its just really nice and comfortable and great traditional service. The building is amazing, very attractive and inviting. It has good ambiance, lovely food, great service and a great bar for cocktails while waiting table (always arrive early to enjoy!!). I visited this restaurent twice during my stay. Be sure to book as there are not always tables available. However, you can eat at the bar which I think it great for those people wanting to eat out by themselves and do not want to be conspicuous sitting alone at a table. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerMAC415Dined on 10/4/2014One of the best dinners I've had in San Francisco. Service was top notch, food was delicious and the ambience is old school SF- the picturesque "romantic dinner in the city".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special night outKenandMargiePDined on 10/4/2014Class act. Great for special celebration. We all enjoyed all our dishes and appreciated the no corkage fee if we purchased one of their winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!DaniDined on 10/4/2014Unique decor and delicious food - loved this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.