1 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 543-6084
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm; Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nancy Oakes
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Boulevard
Since its opening in 1993, Boulevard restaurant has been hailed as one of the best restaurants in San Francisco. Created in partnership with designer Pat Kuleto, the elegant, yet warm and welcoming interior of Boulevard is the essence of the Belle Époque style. It is a glorious setting for Chef Nancy Oakes hearty, flavorful, beautiful cuisine. American regional flavors, French influenced style, enthralling design, form the entire experience at Boulevard. Located in the heart of the San Francisco's revived waterfront area, the historic Audiffred Building is the ideal home for Boulevard. Among many wards received, Boulevard was proud to announce being granted the James Beard Award for Outstanding Restaurant 2012.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Boulevard reviews from OpenTable diners
502 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (362)special occasion (340)notable wine list (213)romantic (208)hot spot (127)scenic view (120)neighborhood gem (110)great for lunch (106)good for groups (74)vibrant bar scene (70)great for brunch (16)late-night find (16)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- TyBebeSharkVIPDined on 11/22/2014he food is always excellent...the filet mignon is the best in the city by far. A great location near the embarcadero...a must go to when in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husband says fine dining. Wife says yummy food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Overall, a top notch experience. It offers everything you'd hope to find and experience in a fine-dining establishment. You can't go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The risotto w/ truffels & the quail were amazingDebraCDined on 11/19/2014The food was excellent, the wine was chosen for us and it was perfect with the quail and risotto. The service could not have been any better and best of all we could have a conversation without yelling at each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointing.EBFoodieVIPDined on 11/16/2014I've already proclaimed to family and friends that this is my favorite restaurant in the Bay Area. It would have garnered six stars or more than a perfect score from me if the reception/hostess was friendlier or more welcoming. Luckily, she didn't have anything to do with the service by the wait staff or the preparation of the food by the chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BD dinner at BoulevardSunCityAlDined on 11/15/2014As usual, the food at Boulevard was outstanding. Granted, it was on a Saturday night, but the wait times between water, drinks, order, first course, entree, desert was very, very slow. Our server stayed in touch, but evidently the kitchen could not keep up. I would continue to recommend Boulevard for it's food, but would suggest going on a weeknight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/15/2014I took my husband there for his birthday a few days ago, our first time to Boulevard and something we were excited about based on the reviews from friends. From the moment we were seated, however, it felt like we were being shoved out. For an event that was to be pleasant, they were flitting all over, trying to get us in and out of there as quickly as possible. Unpleasant - nearly to the point of our canceling the whole thing and leaving. We felt like we were being forced to choose appetizers, wine, and entrees all within five minutes of having been seated (no joke. Five minutes... and our waiter was getting visibly impatient with us at even that.) It wasn't until our waiter took a break (we guess? he didn't say anything to us) and another waiter substituted that we started receiving treatment appropriate to an establishment of this calibre. Our second waiter was very attentive and patient, he chatted with us and was extremely personable. He learned that it was my partner's birthday (something I did note in my OpenTable reservation but which didn't seem to make it to the restaurant's attention) and, on behalf of the restaurant, gave my husband a little birthday treat. We were both very touched. While the food was certainly good (the pork chop is deservedly famous) and they were eventually kind to my husband (once they found out it was his birthday - our first waiter didn't seem to care why we were there, our substitute waiter did) - I can't say I'll go out of my way to go there again.Special Features:
- Honestly, my favorite restaurant in the world.HorsePowerDined on 11/15/2014The setting and view are superb. The building is beautiful, inside and out. The employees are friendly, helpful, quick, and unobtrusive. The wine list and cocktails are top notch. The servers are the very best. The choices of dishes and courses are unparalleled; the presentation is gorgeous, and every morsel is delicious. Every aspect of this restaurant and its exceptional staff is better than every other restaurant I have dined in. Simply: the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience for our AnniversaryjagmackVIPDined on 11/12/2014When we arrived at the Maitre d' podium we were offered our choice of several seating options with our favorite server. From then on it just got better and better. Our favorite starting beverage, glasses of champagne, soon arrived along with suggestions for our meals. As we made our appetizer and entree choices our server, Ethan, chose wines which would pair perfectly. We really enjoyed the food presentation and interesting flavors. When our desserts arrived we were pleased to see the decorations wishing us a happy anniversary. We could not have imagined a more delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice lunch spotsherylenVIPDined on 11/12/2014Client lunch here, hadn't been in quite some time. The quality of the food was still very good, beautiful surroundings. Service was good, not overly attentive, but there when you needed them. All in all, a good place to conduct business and eat delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old HatzucchinitimeDined on 11/9/2014Boulevard was voted Best Restaurant in the Bay Area in 1998. The menu is fresh, although not particularly inventive. The crowd is well-heeled and older, and the entire experience is certainly quite elegant. However, with so many other hotspots in SF, the food came across as a bit uninteresting. Perhaps that's my bias as a twentysomething, but I took my mom here and she agreed it wasn't up to the Bay Area standard. If you're looking for an old-fashioned, expensive fine dining experience (possibly with your older relatives), Boulevard is your place.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014Terrific food with generous portions, wonderful service and a delightful ambience. Some tables have a view of the bridge to Oakland. We'll be back when we are next in San Francisco. We just loved it!Special Features:
- noneDined on 11/8/2014Food was very good, my wife had the grilled Lamb and I the swordfish with crab risotto, which was excellent.
- Don't bother.TawnyaLDined on 11/8/2014We were the youngest people here by a generation. Got shoved into a tiny corner table and had a wall beam between us - it was our anniversary and the restaurant knew this! Also tables were not ready for our 5:30 reservation and no one in the bar area bothered to say hello or serve drinks while we were waiting - completely ignorned. Food tasted fine but was served barely warm. Small portions, very limited menu.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!sfnative17VIPDined on 11/7/2014I've been to Boulevard a number of times over the years and it remains one of my all time favorites! We came for lunch and were seated at a window booth and both my business associate and I commented on how much we enjoy the decor and overall atmosphere at Boulevard! We each started with salads--I had the goat cheese and pear and it was delicious. We then shared several of the starters including the butternut squash ravioli and scallops and a dessert. We loved all of it and recommend the walnut cake! Service was perfect-- attentive, but not intrusive which was great for a business lunch. I feel like I'm treating myself to something special every time I visit Boulevard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boulevard Impresses AgainRobWDined on 11/7/2014Boulevard has long been one of my favorite San Francisco restaurants. Recent lunch reinforced that view. Excellent service, great food, nice ambiance. Hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodgoodfoodDined on 11/6/2014One of the best in the city. Love it!!! We visit the city twice a year, and we always dine at Boulevard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/6/2014Every time we are in San Francisco we go to Boulevard. We have celebrated anniversaries and birthdays there. Always a great experience. Ed and PeggySpecial Features:
- AmazingOptimusDinerVIPDined on 11/6/2014Have been to Boulevard several times but this time it was for my birthday (I made the reservation but a friend picked up the tab for 4 of us! The food and service are ALWAYS amazing! During the 2 bottle of wine dinner there was one small incident which demonstrates their high professionalism: the noise level is high and our waiter didn't hear one appetizer we ordered; when we let him know he immediately rushed to have it served while we were still eating ours - and it was cooked perfectly - we were very impressed at how smoothly and magnificently it was handled. Plus they even had a Happy BD card on the table for me and a special dessert - we all talked about how wonderful the evening was and all thanks to the stafff!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/5/2014Had a good friend in from Canada who I haven't seen in quite some time and this was the perfect place to hang and have some great food and 3 hour conversation. We'd probably be classified as 'campers' but I don't care. Curtis did a fantastic job describing the menu and helping us choose some wines to go with the 3 courses we chose. Tuna Tartare, Beef Carpaccio, Tagliatelle with Alba Truffles, Alaskan Halibut and local Wild Salmon. Truffles may have been a little early in the season but at $28 a fair price! So thank you Curtis, and to all the creative cooks in the BOH!Special Features:
- longtimefan123Dined on 11/5/2014I have always loved to dine at Boulevard. It is one of my favorite places to visit when I am in the Bay AreaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints !seascapefoxDined on 11/5/2014Consistently superb in food quality, presentation, service, location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrigitteBardotDined on 11/4/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Boulevard and look forward to our next visit.....the service was excellent and the food was delicious ....... a passage of pure pleasure.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014The Restaurant Manager, I believe his name was Erick, was superb! So helpful and kind. We loved the food and atmosphere. Our waiter Ryan was very well versed on the menu and offered great selections. We enjoyed our dining experience to the fullest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experience At BoulevardOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Could not ask for more enjoyable place. Pricy but worth it. Boulevard still has the quality touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyHappyDinerDined on 10/31/2014When we visit San Francisco we always go to Boulevard. One of our most favorite. Whether it is a special occasion or not. We are natives of San Francisco and know we have a lot of choices, but we do really like this one the best. Especially when we are celebrating a birthday, which we were.Special Features:
- Boulevardgnts9rsDined on 10/30/2014Boulevard was excellent, as always. You wil be quite happy with your experience there.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/30/2014The reputation of this storied restaurant is not deserved. Half hearted service with major attitude that rushed us and was absent when needed. The turkey salad came out about 1 minute after we ordered it. Not even a pretense of it being custom prepared. Inedible!
- Brilliant boulevard evening...Dae2000Dined on 10/29/2014our visits to San Francisco are never frequent enough, but each trip includes dinner at Boulevard. The food, staff, and atmosphere never disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014IT IS RARE TO FIND A PLACE THAT PROVIDES WONDERFUL FOOD AND OUTSTANDING SERVICE. I MET A FRIEND I HAD NOT SEEN IN 30 YEARS, AND OUR WAITER WAS EXTREMELY ACCOMMODATING AND SENSITIVE TO THIS MEETING--NO RUSH, CHECKING IN, NEVER HAD TO WAIT FOR WATER OR ANYTHING.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingStinkyVIPDined on 10/28/2014I find At times when I use OpenTable to make a reservation we get placed at one of the not so appealing tables! This was a definite at the Boulevard. It was probably the worst table in the entire restaurant. Which I don't understand when we got there that restaurant was pretty much empty.Special Features:
- Fall favouriteJakefromVanDined on 10/28/2014It was a pleasure to dine at this San Francisco institute. Service a food were outstanding. Every employee we met was warm, genuine, knowledgeable and friendly. Our food choices were excellent, well executed, appealing, and delicious. Looking forward to coming back in the Spring, thanks Boulevard for another memorable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!judkaDined on 10/27/2014I love Boulevard. It has been consistently excellent over the many years I have dined there. Looking forward to my next dining experience at Boulevard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry to disappoint!LeftToBeDesiredDined on 10/26/2014Our experience on Sunday night, 10/26, was standard at best. Even with all the accolades we didn't think it lived up to its reputation. Our server was nice but seemed very overwhelmed. We had to ask for waters to be refilled twice (only one busser in our section and he was continually fighting with the MOD). We expected much better service with all the awards and white table cloth settings. The food was just OK. My halibut was overcooked and the pork chop wasn't memorable. The swordfish had the best flavor and was cooked perfectly. The carpaccio was insanely salty it was hard to eat. In brief, over-priced and would not recommend over so many other great places to go in SF. Need to step up service if they want to maintain their reputation.Special Features:
- Special nightHannahDined on 10/26/2014We had a great dinner on a special occasion. The view of the bridge was terrific.Special Features:
- DinerDinerlbVIPDined on 10/26/2014Boulevard never disappoints. I try to go each time I'm in San Francisco. great food, great service. a real find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boulevard Restaurant, San FranciscoRickDined on 10/24/2014By far, the best pork chop I have ever had. This is a wonderful restaurant with an attentive staff. Dining here was a pleasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Servers a bit pompous, unfriendly.YancyVIPDined on 10/24/2014Boulevard is beautiful. The food was delicious. The wine list was extensive. All in all, a good experience. I can't say "great" experience because the staff was, to a person, uptight and unfriendly. It's too bad because I would go back otherwise. But I will probably choose, instead, to go somewhere with equally good atmosphere and food -- and with a more friendly and welcoming vibe.Special Features:
- A SF OriginalthombuiDined on 10/24/2014Always consistent with a changing and diverse menuSpecial Features:
- Service slowlacabezitaDined on 10/24/2014We ordered our food and between starters and mains was a huge lap, my main dish vegies were cold and the chicken hot, very disturbing, wine selection good and service very niceSpecial Features:
- Boulevard LunchdanielleDined on 10/24/2014My lunch was okay. The appetizers - tuna tartar and heirloom salad were good. My fish entree was just warm, not a good cut of swordfish - while my client's salmon was severely overcooked. Staff and service was very accommodating and wine was delicious.Special Features: