Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
921 Walnut Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chophouse.com/
- Phone: 3034431188x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Joleen Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A public parking lot, located directly across the street from the restaurant, is free on Saturdays & Sundays. The ChopHouse will validate up to 2 hours at the St. Julian garage. (No Valet)
Street parking is available on Walnut & is free on Sundays.
A word from Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
Visiting the Boulder Chophouse is like taking a step back in time to the casual elegance of the 1940's. Located in the heart of downtown Boulder, this classic steakhouse with ever-changing local and organic ingredients offers a comfortable atmosphere, an extensive wine list & your favorite martinis. Join us on our patio, in our bar, for Happy Hour or any night for dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)good for groups (34)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (26)notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (16)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- SO DISAPPOINTEDOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014We went with another couple and we all ordered the 16 oz prime rib which we split as couples. The piece we each received was not 8 ozs by any means unless you consider the fact that half of the meat was fat. We each received about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. My friend asked for raw horseradish with hers and was served it when she was done with her meal. The service was slow and the waiter was sarcastic and rude. We all eat out a lot and we all decided we would never go back to this restaurant. We will be sure to spread the word that it is a waste of money and a nice evening out!!!
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014In town for a conference and had a group of people attend. Service was great and the food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Denver Restaurant Week gembardnutDined on 8/25/2014We visited the Boulder Chophouse and Tavern for Denver Restaurant Week. The menu for the occasion was a bit limited (2 options for courses 1 and 3), but everything we ordered off the menu was incredibly delicious, and there were some tasty options for steak preparation for the main course. All of us succumbed to the filet, and found them to be perfectly prepared. Our service was impeccable: efficient, friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. We had a great time and will inevitably be back. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014We decided to have a special dinner out during Denver's Restaurant week. And chose the Boulder Chop House. My husband & I each chose one of the 3-course Restaurant Week menus. The steaks were grilled to perfection, the corn bread was moist and delicious, and the peach sorbet was the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/25/2014My strip steak was poor in quality--great preparation. It was the lowest grade of meat Iv'e encountered in my total dining experiences. The manager (Nate) was apologetic and comped my meal. The only good thing on the plate was the mashed potatoes. As the evening progressed the prime rib was taken off the menu due to its low quality and didin't meet the restaurant standards. I still maintain it was the select grade meat.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014We had an excellent meal at a reasonable price -- during Denver Restaurant Week. Delicious and perfectly prepared steak, tasty cheddar mashed potatoes and good key lime pie. Featured wine was reasonable ($28/bottle)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver Restaurant Week DealPickyEaterDined on 8/24/2014Our group chose Boukder Chop House for Denver Restaurant Week because of the menu options. Unlike many of the restaurants participating in DRW, the Boulder Chop House had full size portions and a wide variety to meet all of our personal tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Server very attentive. Manager came by to make sure everything was taken care of. Food was perfectly prepared!Special Features:
- Boulder Chop HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Outstanding service! The filet mignon melted in our mouths!! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChopHouseJ4abrahamDined on 8/23/2014Not our first time at this restaurant but the food and service are always good and consistent, great to enjoy Restaurant Week here!Special Features:
- Nice placevinceANDgeriDined on 8/20/2014nice place, just request your table is not near the restroom hall. Service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Boulder ChophouseTonyDDined on 8/18/2014The food and service was very good. Everyone in our party ordered some type of steak - all very tasty and cooked to our liking. The appetizers and wine list were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteKatieMVIPDined on 8/17/2014We can always count on a great meal at Boulder Chophouse. Excellent service. Would love to see them lighten the menu up a bit for summer, but we had a great meal. Most of us had steaks and one delicious roasted chicken.Special Features:
- Love patio timeBrouigu1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Spent the entire evening on the patio all by ourselves, it was great! Good food, good wine and watching the world go by.Special Features:
- Food was averagePattyDined on 8/15/2014Ordered prime rib and it was very "chewy". Also a pretty thin cut.
- fell shortboulderiteDined on 8/15/2014For a steak place it definitely fell short, the steak wasn't cooked to what was ordered and had to be sent back. The appetizer was cold, and shouldn't have been. Did love the seafood though. Needs a larger wine list. Now I know why we don't go there often.Special Features:
- Great dinner with friends.BrewDined on 8/8/2014We sat in a covered open air area with a group of 10 and the food was fantastic. Everyone was happy with their meal, even the kids with their kid filets! The steaks were perfectly cooked and the Cesar salad was amazing! Will be back next time in Boulder.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Food was wonderful and so was the service. We were so happy to find the place as out-of-town travelers. Loved the wine list. Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in a great steak and good wine.Special Features:
- Great anniversary meal!SDpairDined on 8/2/2014My husband had been here before, but it was my first visit. At first, I worried that it might be too noisy; there was a 40th b-day celebration happening outside. But inside, the noise level was fine. Lovely decor, nice booths. The only thing I would've changed is to not have been seated so close to the traffic to the restroom. But once the food started coming, it didn't matter. We're pretty picky, and I honestly can't find one thing to comment on that could've been better. Everything was perfectly prepared and delicious! Fab wine, Caesar salad, cornbread, filet mignon, prime rib, white cheddar mashed potatoes and asparagus. And an amazing complimentary chocolate/salted caramel dessert. And leftovers! I heartily recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The birthday dessert menu was great -- we chose anything off of the regular dessert menu!Special Features:
- Tough chickenfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Free range,expensive Chicken was tough. Rest of dinner was very goodSpecial Features:
- Not the Chop House I been beforeMikeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Last time I dined at the Boulder Chop house I was impressed with their food, service and price. This last time the food was just okay. I have had better tasting steaks at Outback. For the price I was disappointed in what was served. If you skip this restaurant, you won't miss much in dinning experiences. The service was slow, although the waiter did try to please our party as best as he could. What a disappointment.
- PickyFoodieDined on 7/20/2014This was my second experience with the Boulder Chophouse. I enjoyed it the first time. This time, the food and our server, Joseph, were exceptional. My only comment was the noise level - TOO noisy. One of the persons in our party has a hearing disability. Bless Joseph, we asked him to turn down the volume and he promptly got it done. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night DinnerFoodieFanVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were a party of seven - three of us from out-of-town having a late-night dinner. Our server was attentive and good-natured. We ordered an assortment of items including appetizers and entrees. We very much appreciated the birthday recognition of one of the members of our party!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!WendyDined on 7/17/2014The nice thing about the Chop a House is that my meat-loving and seafood-loving children can all have a wonderful meal at the same restaurant. The Chop House has never failed to please all of us with the variety of entrees they offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodcarolfbirdDined on 7/15/2014I had not been to Boulder Chop House in 7 years because my last meal there was not memorable. So I was delighted to find out that the food was outstanding - from my salad to my delectable filet. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great experience!zezallineDined on 7/12/2014Excellent in all respects. Very attentive wait staff.
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014We dined here with a larger group of 12 people (reunion of old friends) on Friday July 11, and the restaurant was so friendly and accommodating. It was easy to make the reservation online, and someone called in person the day before to confirm our visit. Our server that evening was wonderful! She was a very efficient, knowledgeable about the menu, and was very patient with our big table. Beverages were refreshed at just the perfect time, she didn't miss a beat. The food was excellent - everyone enjoyed their meals. The Tenderloin Tips & Mushrooms was the "fan favorite" dish at our table, but others enjoyed the trout, crab cakes, and other steaks. The salads and sides were also delicious. We'll definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Disappointing this timebouldermomDined on 7/11/2014This last experience was disappointing. Both of our steaks were charred, as was the bread and dessert. It almost seemed as though the oven/cooktop was turned up too high. The steaks were bland and even after we tried the sauces, they still weren't very yummy. Perhaps just an off night? I also thought it was silly that the happy hour wine prices were only good in the bar/lounge. I could've easily just ordered my drink there and walked to my table with my glass, so what's the point of not making the prices available to everyone? On a positive note, our waitress, Alison, was a gem! She was very polite and brought us a free dessert to help us celebrate our anniversary. She's the reason I didn't give this past trip a more negative review.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal heresbrown3081Dined on 7/7/2014My wife and celebrated our anniversary here and enjoyed the experience. We split the cheese plate appetizer and the bleu cheese and tomato salad. I had the 8 oz. filet cooked Diane and she had the Colorado Trout and both were very good. We split the bread pudding for dessert and it was excellent. Our server Joe did a great job. We will go back for sure. We want to try the small plates at happy hour.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceHonestNoshDined on 6/28/2014Crab cakes, prime rib, and lobster/asparagus mac & cheese were very good. "Mixed salad," though, is really iceberg lettuce with a few other greens. Staff recommended a great bottle of wine. Waitress, however, was really slow (restaurant half full). She also brought salads and entrees while we were still eating our appetizer - a big pet peeve of ours. And while eating our main dish, she asked if we wanted to order dessert. Assembly line dining? Yeah. Our waitress also didn't seem to care that it was our anniversary. Oh well - plenty of other options in Boulder.Special Features:
- hipdayDined on 6/28/2014Our waitress Melissa was great. Very friendly and entertaining too! She knew the menu and what to recommend. The food was very good. I just thought the cocktails could have been bigger for the price. Overall it was a nice evening to celebrate with our friends.Special Features:
- Good service, OK food. Great beer.jackgtVIPDined on 6/23/2014Went with a group of 8, and I was not terribly impressed with anything except the beer. Our server was very nice and accommodating but a few things came out wrong and a couple of steaks were dropped on the floor. They did the right thing by comping us appropriately, but no one raved about the food. My Manhattan was very good, my seared tuna was very good, but the Caesar salad tasted like mayo. Lastly, the local beers are great. I would definitely come back for happy hour and probably give dinner another shot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014Your wait staff was working way too hard, had too many people to serve in the bar area and no one was stepping in to pick up the slack. I honestly felt horrible for our server as he was crushed and couldnt come up for air for the entire 2 hours that we were there. We finally placed our order at 7:00 after sitting there for 30 minutes, we left the place at 8:30 with uneaten food because the guests werent hungry any longer because it took way too long. Drinks were forgotten about consistently during the evening and my second beer finally came to the table as I was paying the bill. Not a very good evening and my sons birthday at that.
- great father's day dinnerLikestohikeDined on 6/15/2014Six of us came here for Father's Day dinner. One person had steak, which was great. Other dishes included buffalo burger (good), mountain trout (excellent, cooked beautifully, but literally swimming in butter!). The chicken fingers on the kids' menu has a spicy smoked pepper undertone to it which our child didn't care for. And the mac and cheese looked goopy and the other child didn't care for it too much. So the kids menu was not so great and I think the best items were the steak and the mountain trout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LeeYDined on 6/15/2014Unfamiliar with their beer selection, the waitress brought me samples until I found what I wanted (a red rye). We had the ahi tuna appetizer - absolutely delicious with an amazing sauce drizzled over it. We split a house salad, which was plenty big for each. I ordered the filet mignon special medium rare and my son had the Delmonico steak medium rare and they were both cooked perfectly to our liking. The timing of when we were served each dish was quick (just right), and our waitress was knowledgeable, friendly, attentive, but not overkill. The only critiques I have are that they have paper over the tablecloths (I don't like that crinkly feel), and the table next to us seemed close in proximity. Expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Delicious!sarahgDined on 6/13/2014Always amazing. I've never had a bad dish here! You especially can't beat the desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not GoodMMWTCFDined on 6/13/2014The dinner was not good. I had a Delmonico steak and my wife had a NY Strip. My wife and I have had better steaks from Costco. Our waitress never even asked how the food was or if we enjoyed our dinner. We went to the Chophouse to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary and the wait staff knew this. No big deal for them. Big mistake! We will probably never dine at another Chophouse again.
- Great steakRewpaDined on 6/7/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Boulder Chop House, and had a very enjoyable experience. Most notable was the service: the host was very gracious, and gave us our appetizer compliments of the house because our reservation was delayed, even though we did not express any dissatisfaction. Our server found that difficult balance point between being personable without intrusion, and anticipated many of our requests. The steaks were cooked to perfection. My only complaint would be the stuffed pork chop: I asked the chef to determine the best done-ness for that cut, and it arrived with a beautifully juicy center. However, the outside was cooked to a toughness that I found difficult to cut and to swallow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VG Steaks and Chops in BoulderJayZeeVIPDined on 6/4/2014The Boulder Chophouse did not disappoint. They have good steaks which are cooked properly to order. The lamb and pork chops are also quite good. Like most steakhouses, they have a decent wine list with lots of red wine choices, many of them reasonably priced. They also have a good selection of local beers available. I had a duo of small beef filets, one prepared "Diane" style and the other with a Gorgonzola topping. Both were tender, cooked correctly, and very tasty. The Chophouse and Mixed Green salads were both of good size and made with fresh ingredients. The cornbread is plentiful and served in a small cast iron skillet. All in all, a very good dinner and we didn't even have reservations.Special Features: