Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
921 Walnut Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chophouse.com/
- Phone: 3034431188x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Joleen Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A public parking lot, located directly across the street from the restaurant, is free on Saturdays & Sundays. The ChopHouse will validate up to 2 hours at the St. Julian garage. (No Valet)
Street parking is available on Walnut & is free on Sundays.
A word from Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
Visiting the Boulder Chophouse is like taking a step back in time to the casual elegance of the 1940's. Located in the heart of downtown Boulder, this classic steakhouse with ever-changing local and organic ingredients offers a comfortable atmosphere, an extensive wine list & your favorite martinis. Join us on our patio, in our bar, for Happy Hour or any night for dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (53)good for groups (29)fit for foodies (25)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (20)romantic (20)neighborhood gem (18)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Lovely, relaxed atmosphereJohnAVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to the Boulder Chophouse and Tavern and we really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was lovely and relaxed and the service was very attentive. Our food was tasty and well prepared. Recommend.Special Features:
- Amazing porterhouseOmnivoreDined on 9/10/2014My husband and I split the Chophouse's delicious porterhouse steak. It was as tender as butter! the Dianne Sauce was a small disappointment, because there was very little of it (for a $5 up charge). But the steak was so good we hardly noticed.Special Features:
- always a treattb77Dined on 9/4/2014Our waiter chris was excellent. Probably the best service I've had in years. Chop house is always my birthday or anniversary choice, and has never let me down on a special occasion. My fiance loved the special new Zealand red, orleans shrimp were awesome. New york strip was perfect, and loved having key lime pie for dessert. Keep up the great work, one of boulder's last unpretentious high end establishments! T.Blom former waiter and bartenderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to eatbearcubbrVIPDined on 8/31/2014Some might find the Chophouse pricey but it is soooooooooo worth it. Best Damn Steaks in town.Special Features:
- I nice surprise.911skibumVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and promptly served. Wine list is pricey with some good values. Overall very good experience for 5 people.Special Features:
- Ups and DownsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Our service was noteworthy -- in a good way. We dined with friends from out of town and took our sweet time. Our waitress was perfect ... patient, available, but unobtrusive. It's been awhile since we'd eaten at the Chop House. My prime rib was not up to par and my wife's spinach was too salty. Hardly disasters, but disappointing.
- Restaurant weekfood4thoughtDined on 8/29/2014My daughter chose Boulder Chophouse for her birthday dinner and to take advantage of restaurant week. It was very good. The steaks were very tender and had great flavor. We were, however, disappointed in the key lime pie. Overall, we had a nice meal, good service and a nice night.Special Features:
- cprincessDined on 8/29/2014Good food, nice atmosphere and great service. We enjoyed our dinner and drinks and would recommend it as a nice place to have a quiet dinner followed by drinks in the bar where there is more action.Special Features:
- SO DISAPPOINTEDluveatingoutDined on 8/28/2014We went with another couple and we all ordered the 16 oz prime rib which we split as couples. The piece we each received was not 8 ozs by any means unless you consider the fact that half of the meat was fat. We each received about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. My friend asked for raw horseradish with hers and was served it when she was done with her meal. The service was slow and the waiter was sarcastic and rude. We all eat out a lot and we all decided we would never go back to this restaurant. We will be sure to spread the word that it is a waste of money and a nice evening out!!!
- Upscale steak house....not reallygreenie420Dined on 8/28/2014The ambience and the menu would make you feel that this is an upscale dining experience. The steaks were tough and not aged. When you spend over $30 on a steak you expect it not to be served with over 10% of fat. I would never serve steaks in that fashion when I was working as a chef. trout was bland and tasteless; that is prob reason that most diners in land-locked states don't enjoy eating fish. Trout was not fresh, presentation was alright but the fish had no flavor. I mentioned this to the waitress and she told me that that is how trout tastes, in a hospital maybe but not when you are spending over $20 on a piece of fish. The waitress thought that the Key-lime pie for dessert was the best ever, but I guess she has never been to Florida.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014In town for a conference and had a group of people attend. Service was great and the food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Denver Restaurant Week gembardnutDined on 8/25/2014We visited the Boulder Chophouse and Tavern for Denver Restaurant Week. The menu for the occasion was a bit limited (2 options for courses 1 and 3), but everything we ordered off the menu was incredibly delicious, and there were some tasty options for steak preparation for the main course. All of us succumbed to the filet, and found them to be perfectly prepared. Our service was impeccable: efficient, friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. We had a great time and will inevitably be back. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent MealZellDined on 8/25/2014We decided to have a special dinner out during Denver's Restaurant week. And chose the Boulder Chop House. My husband & I each chose one of the 3-course Restaurant Week menus. The steaks were grilled to perfection, the corn bread was moist and delicious, and the peach sorbet was the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loveland80537Dined on 8/25/2014My strip steak was poor in quality--great preparation. It was the lowest grade of meat Iv'e encountered in my total dining experiences. The manager (Nate) was apologetic and comped my meal. The only good thing on the plate was the mashed potatoes. As the evening progressed the prime rib was taken off the menu due to its low quality and didin't meet the restaurant standards. I still maintain it was the select grade meat.
- steak8Dined on 8/25/2014We had an excellent meal at a reasonable price -- during Denver Restaurant Week. Delicious and perfectly prepared steak, tasty cheddar mashed potatoes and good key lime pie. Featured wine was reasonable ($28/bottle)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver Restaurant Week DealPickyEaterDined on 8/24/2014Our group chose Boukder Chop House for Denver Restaurant Week because of the menu options. Unlike many of the restaurants participating in DRW, the Boulder Chop House had full size portions and a wide variety to meet all of our personal tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerMaryeatsDined on 8/24/2014Server very attentive. Manager came by to make sure everything was taken care of. Food was perfectly prepared!Special Features:
- Boulder Chop HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Outstanding service! The filet mignon melted in our mouths!! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChopHouseJ4abrahamDined on 8/23/2014Not our first time at this restaurant but the food and service are always good and consistent, great to enjoy Restaurant Week here!Special Features:
- Nice placevinceANDgeriDined on 8/20/2014nice place, just request your table is not near the restroom hall. Service is exceptional.Special Features:
- Boulder ChophouseTonyDDined on 8/18/2014The food and service was very good. Everyone in our party ordered some type of steak - all very tasty and cooked to our liking. The appetizers and wine list were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteKatieMVIPDined on 8/17/2014We can always count on a great meal at Boulder Chophouse. Excellent service. Would love to see them lighten the menu up a bit for summer, but we had a great meal. Most of us had steaks and one delicious roasted chicken.Special Features:
- Love patio timeBrouigu1VIPDined on 8/16/2014Spent the entire evening on the patio all by ourselves, it was great! Good food, good wine and watching the world go by.Special Features:
- Food was averagePattyDined on 8/15/2014Ordered prime rib and it was very "chewy". Also a pretty thin cut.
- fell shortboulderiteDined on 8/15/2014For a steak place it definitely fell short, the steak wasn't cooked to what was ordered and had to be sent back. The appetizer was cold, and shouldn't have been. Did love the seafood though. Needs a larger wine list. Now I know why we don't go there often.Special Features:
- Great dinner with friends.BrewDined on 8/8/2014We sat in a covered open air area with a group of 10 and the food was fantastic. Everyone was happy with their meal, even the kids with their kid filets! The steaks were perfectly cooked and the Cesar salad was amazing! Will be back next time in Boulder.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Food was wonderful and so was the service. We were so happy to find the place as out-of-town travelers. Loved the wine list. Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in a great steak and good wine.Special Features:
- Great anniversary meal!SDpairDined on 8/2/2014My husband had been here before, but it was my first visit. At first, I worried that it might be too noisy; there was a 40th b-day celebration happening outside. But inside, the noise level was fine. Lovely decor, nice booths. The only thing I would've changed is to not have been seated so close to the traffic to the restroom. But once the food started coming, it didn't matter. We're pretty picky, and I honestly can't find one thing to comment on that could've been better. Everything was perfectly prepared and delicious! Fab wine, Caesar salad, cornbread, filet mignon, prime rib, white cheddar mashed potatoes and asparagus. And an amazing complimentary chocolate/salted caramel dessert. And leftovers! I heartily recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014The birthday dessert menu was great -- we chose anything off of the regular dessert menu!Special Features:
- Tough chickenfoodieDined on 8/1/2014Free range,expensive Chicken was tough. Rest of dinner was very goodSpecial Features:
- Not the Chop House I been beforeMikeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Last time I dined at the Boulder Chop house I was impressed with their food, service and price. This last time the food was just okay. I have had better tasting steaks at Outback. For the price I was disappointed in what was served. If you skip this restaurant, you won't miss much in dinning experiences. The service was slow, although the waiter did try to please our party as best as he could. What a disappointment.
- PickyFoodieDined on 7/20/2014This was my second experience with the Boulder Chophouse. I enjoyed it the first time. This time, the food and our server, Joseph, were exceptional. My only comment was the noise level - TOO noisy. One of the persons in our party has a hearing disability. Bless Joseph, we asked him to turn down the volume and he promptly got it done. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night DinnerFoodieFanVIPDined on 7/18/2014We were a party of seven - three of us from out-of-town having a late-night dinner. Our server was attentive and good-natured. We ordered an assortment of items including appetizers and entrees. We very much appreciated the birthday recognition of one of the members of our party!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!WendyDined on 7/17/2014The nice thing about the Chop a House is that my meat-loving and seafood-loving children can all have a wonderful meal at the same restaurant. The Chop House has never failed to please all of us with the variety of entrees they offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly goodcarolfbirdDined on 7/15/2014I had not been to Boulder Chop House in 7 years because my last meal there was not memorable. So I was delighted to find out that the food was outstanding - from my salad to my delectable filet. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great experience!zezallineDined on 7/12/2014Excellent in all respects. Very attentive wait staff.
- Outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014We dined here with a larger group of 12 people (reunion of old friends) on Friday July 11, and the restaurant was so friendly and accommodating. It was easy to make the reservation online, and someone called in person the day before to confirm our visit. Our server that evening was wonderful! She was a very efficient, knowledgeable about the menu, and was very patient with our big table. Beverages were refreshed at just the perfect time, she didn't miss a beat. The food was excellent - everyone enjoyed their meals. The Tenderloin Tips & Mushrooms was the "fan favorite" dish at our table, but others enjoyed the trout, crab cakes, and other steaks. The salads and sides were also delicious. We'll definitely come back again!Special Features:
- Disappointing this timebouldermomDined on 7/11/2014This last experience was disappointing. Both of our steaks were charred, as was the bread and dessert. It almost seemed as though the oven/cooktop was turned up too high. The steaks were bland and even after we tried the sauces, they still weren't very yummy. Perhaps just an off night? I also thought it was silly that the happy hour wine prices were only good in the bar/lounge. I could've easily just ordered my drink there and walked to my table with my glass, so what's the point of not making the prices available to everyone? On a positive note, our waitress, Alison, was a gem! She was very polite and brought us a free dessert to help us celebrate our anniversary. She's the reason I didn't give this past trip a more negative review.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal heresbrown3081Dined on 7/7/2014My wife and celebrated our anniversary here and enjoyed the experience. We split the cheese plate appetizer and the bleu cheese and tomato salad. I had the 8 oz. filet cooked Diane and she had the Colorado Trout and both were very good. We split the bread pudding for dessert and it was excellent. Our server Joe did a great job. We will go back for sure. We want to try the small plates at happy hour.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceHonestNoshDined on 6/28/2014Crab cakes, prime rib, and lobster/asparagus mac & cheese were very good. "Mixed salad," though, is really iceberg lettuce with a few other greens. Staff recommended a great bottle of wine. Waitress, however, was really slow (restaurant half full). She also brought salads and entrees while we were still eating our appetizer - a big pet peeve of ours. And while eating our main dish, she asked if we wanted to order dessert. Assembly line dining? Yeah. Our waitress also didn't seem to care that it was our anniversary. Oh well - plenty of other options in Boulder.Special Features: