Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
921 Walnut Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chophouse.com/
- Phone: (303) 443-1188
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Joleen Park
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A public parking lot, located directly across the street from the restaurant, is free on Saturdays & Sundays. The ChopHouse will validate up to 2 hours at the St. Julian garage. (No Valet)
Street parking is available on Walnut & is free on Sundays.
A word from Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern
Visiting the Boulder Chophouse is like taking a step back in time to the casual elegance of the 1940's. Located in the heart of downtown Boulder, this classic steakhouse with ever-changing local and organic ingredients offers a comfortable atmosphere, an extensive wine list & your favorite martinis. Join us on our patio, in our bar, for Happy Hour or any night for dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
Boulder ChopHouse & Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)good for groups (32)fit for foodies (32)romantic (30)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (19)great for outdoor dining (18)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (8)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)Show More
- Waited 1 hour after ordering dinnersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Very poor dining experience. We waited almost an hour after ordering our entrees to receive them. Several of the dinners, which were steaks, were not very good. We received not apologies for the significant delay in getting our food. Will not return.
- The steaks were good, not the best, I'm picky.KellyDined on 11/18/2014The steaks were good, but not charged on the outside enough for my picky tastes. Mine was prepared as I oredered it, medium rare +, and that is rarely accomplished well. The food was better than the service, but the service wasn't terribke, but not as good as the best steakhouses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Service in BoulderServicemattersDined on 11/17/2014My wife and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, but we didn't tell them. Our waiter was so genuine and observant. Throughout the dinner he went above and beyond to serve us and I'm not talking about just the normal check-ins. He stopped at our table at just the right times and spoke with a sincerity in his voice. Later, as he was discussing desserts, he notice my wife was opening a card. He asked what we were celebrating and he offered to buy us a couple glasses of champagne. We declined, but as we were leaving the restaurant, he gave us a piece of chocolate cake, in a bag all ready to take home with us. Thankfully I left him a hearty tip (30%) because this took it over the top. I wish all waiters would learn from this guy and perhaps they would see bigger tips. Great job Boulder Chop House.......we were first-timers and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstBite impressionsbillDined on 11/16/2014Chophouse is nice. Firstbite food choices were good. Service was so-so. Waitress brought us cold corn bread, and tried to place us (party of 6) in a table that should only be used for office parties! Pork Chops and Steak were great. Food was very good. Glancing at regular menu though shows quite a big difference in prices. So, CH will stay a Firstbite only restaurant. Too pricey for normal dining, will have to be special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/10/2014I booked a table for 3 for a business meeting/dinner. The heat was out in the center area of the restaurant, which was a one-time thing I assume. That said, the bartender John was great and we sat at the bar for about an hour before moving to our table. Our table was a small booth...a little too small for 3 men. We all ordered the ribeye, and they were quite stringy. I ordered mine with Diane on the side, it was cold. My baked potato was nothing special either. Our bill was around $175.00, not worth it.
- boulder chop house tavernJustFYIDined on 11/9/2014This restaurant overall was very nice and the staff very friendly and excellent service. The steaks were very tender but were not seasoned very much. I was expecting a little more flavorful steaks. Very good restaurant but very pricey. Would only go there for a special occasion. Same for chicken dish that was ordered it came with capers more capers would have made it betterSpecial Features:
- Ooops! Wrong OrderboulderfoodiesVIPDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I have eaten at the ChopHouse several times before and have enjoyed both the food and the service. Since this review seeks our opinion of our latest experience, I have to say that it came up short. I ordered the beef tips and my wife ordered chicken. While the rest of my meal was quite good (the gravy and mashed potatoes were delicious), the beef tips were tough and gristly; I left about a fourth of the meat on my plate. When my wife's order came, it was crab cakes. We learned later that the waiter had mistakenly punched the button next to the chicken entree. The chicken ultimately arrived, but, by then I had finished my meal. Mistakes happen, but higher-end restaurants usually give you some kind of special attention when they make a mistake. We received a perfunctory "I'm sorry" from our waiter and that was it. We were at the restaurant on a Saturday evening and the waitstaff clearly was busy, but we feel that a sincere apology or personal visit by management would have mitigated our not-so-good experience. On a positive note, the ChopHouse does offer a varied and reasonably-priced wine list, unlike some of the restaurants in Boulder. We had an excellent Zinfandel that went well with both our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014We go to the chop house for the simplicity of good fish. The fish was not a good as past, was cooked in a sauce that seemed to be steak sauce. When you get it RIGHT, don't change it. We go 20 X per year but may start to "shop".
- Love the Bar SeatingDateNiteGurlDined on 10/31/2014The food at the Chophouse is fantastic and the service is very good. When my fiance and I dine there, we like to eat at a tall table in the bar area. We find the atmosphere there much better than in the regular seating area; the restaurant is quiet and a little stuffy for a date night. I think this is because it is just the two of us and we like the extra vibe we get in the bar. If we were eating there with a large party, the restaurant area would probably be fine. The wine and beer section is very good. The steaks are delicious. They have very good "small" salads that are quite large and yummy. Not a cheap place, but worth it for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My FavoritePeachesDined on 10/29/2014I always bring out-of-town guests to Boulder Chophouse because I know I can rely on the service and quality of food.Special Features:
- Special steakspaterfamiliaDined on 10/27/2014We had not been here for months, and were feeling like a good steak, but we had Excellent steaks. Service was congenial and efficient, and sound level was acceptable (not common, in our experience). We'll certainly return, the next time the red meat hunger strikes.Special Features:
- Dependable FavoriteoutnotoftenDined on 10/25/2014My family really enjoys this restaurant. The food is always great. The crab cakes are a rare find.....and when I was told they were 92% crab, I didn't find that to be an exaggeration. The service is awesome.....wait person always available but not intrusive. We don't go out much but always consider this one of our top places when we do.Special Features:
- Great steak, poor saladJenniferDined on 10/19/2014Hi, we came in to celebrate on a Sunday night. Nice staff. Lovely place -- we've been coming for years. This visit, however, was not perfect (which is how the night usually is). The caesar salads were limp and over-dressed, and to be honest, looked like something served at a conference hotel group dinner. The French onion soup was super salty. The wait for the steaks was a bit long, too. However, they were delicious and cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- enjoydineoutDined on 10/17/2014Outstanding service and food selection - food cooked to order and correct! - waiter was great always there without being asked - cant say enough you pay for what you get and here you get the bestSpecial Features:
- Great service!DeepsDined on 10/14/2014I wished I could have personally thanked the wait staff! I hope our tip was an indication of how much we appreciated the great service on my daughter's 16th birthday. With all the great resturants in Boulder, one have to do something to stand out and staff is one of the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Train your servers about wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014We arrived early on Saturday evening at 4:55pm. We did not have a glass of wine in front of us until 5:25 because the open bottle we wanted was not in stock, which the server took 10 minutes to find out. When he finally poured our selection it dribbled all over the table, although he had a napkin on his arm he could have used it on the bottle to catch drips. Then there were a couple more spills, salad sauce here, melted butter on a tshirt there.
- filet mignon special was delishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014pork chop was not seasoned. waiter had no personality. it was my husbands birthday and i asked for a candle we got nothing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant evening.MeaduritesDined on 9/27/2014We hadn't been here for a while. It was our wed dining anniversary so we thought it would make a special treat. We really enjoyed it. The food was wonderful and was very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chilled delicious green sauce ...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014did not pair well with lamb chops hot/fresh off grill. Rapidly cooled temp of meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely, relaxed atmosphereJohnAVIPDined on 9/20/2014This was our first visit to the Boulder Chophouse and Tavern and we really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was lovely and relaxed and the service was very attentive. Our food was tasty and well prepared. Recommend.Special Features:
- So-So DinnerCatiraDined on 9/19/2014Friendly service that was overwhelmed by CU Family Weekend. Limited grill space severely delayed food delivery. Food was less than luke warm, but the service tried their best to accomodate.
- TabascoCat14VIPDined on 9/18/2014Love it. Best place in boulder. The atmosphere is relaxing yet funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing porterhouseOmnivoreVIPDined on 9/10/2014My husband and I split the Chophouse's delicious porterhouse steak. It was as tender as butter! the Dianne Sauce was a small disappointment, because there was very little of it (for a $5 up charge). But the steak was so good we hardly noticed.Special Features:
- Good foodgoobersDined on 9/9/2014We were celebrating our nephew's 20th bday. Had a good table & enjoyed ourselves..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treattb77Dined on 9/4/2014Our waiter chris was excellent. Probably the best service I've had in years. Chop house is always my birthday or anniversary choice, and has never let me down on a special occasion. My fiance loved the special new Zealand red, orleans shrimp were awesome. New york strip was perfect, and loved having key lime pie for dessert. Keep up the great work, one of boulder's last unpretentious high end establishments! T.Blom former waiter and bartenderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to eatbearcubbrVIPDined on 8/31/2014Some might find the Chophouse pricey but it is soooooooooo worth it. Best Damn Steaks in town.Special Features:
- I nice surprise.911skibumVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food was very good and promptly served. Wine list is pricey with some good values. Overall very good experience for 5 people.Special Features:
- Ups and DownsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Our service was noteworthy -- in a good way. We dined with friends from out of town and took our sweet time. Our waitress was perfect ... patient, available, but unobtrusive. It's been awhile since we'd eaten at the Chop House. My prime rib was not up to par and my wife's spinach was too salty. Hardly disasters, but disappointing.
- Restaurant weekfood4thoughtDined on 8/29/2014My daughter chose Boulder Chophouse for her birthday dinner and to take advantage of restaurant week. It was very good. The steaks were very tender and had great flavor. We were, however, disappointed in the key lime pie. Overall, we had a nice meal, good service and a nice night.Special Features:
- cprincessDined on 8/29/2014Good food, nice atmosphere and great service. We enjoyed our dinner and drinks and would recommend it as a nice place to have a quiet dinner followed by drinks in the bar where there is more action.Special Features:
- SO DISAPPOINTEDluveatingoutDined on 8/28/2014We went with another couple and we all ordered the 16 oz prime rib which we split as couples. The piece we each received was not 8 ozs by any means unless you consider the fact that half of the meat was fat. We each received about a tablespoon of mashed potatoes. My friend asked for raw horseradish with hers and was served it when she was done with her meal. The service was slow and the waiter was sarcastic and rude. We all eat out a lot and we all decided we would never go back to this restaurant. We will be sure to spread the word that it is a waste of money and a nice evening out!!!
- Upscale steak house....not reallygreenie420Dined on 8/28/2014The ambience and the menu would make you feel that this is an upscale dining experience. The steaks were tough and not aged. When you spend over $30 on a steak you expect it not to be served with over 10% of fat. I would never serve steaks in that fashion when I was working as a chef. trout was bland and tasteless; that is prob reason that most diners in land-locked states don't enjoy eating fish. Trout was not fresh, presentation was alright but the fish had no flavor. I mentioned this to the waitress and she told me that that is how trout tastes, in a hospital maybe but not when you are spending over $20 on a piece of fish. The waitress thought that the Key-lime pie for dessert was the best ever, but I guess she has never been to Florida.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014In town for a conference and had a group of people attend. Service was great and the food was outstanding!Special Features:
- Denver Restaurant Week gembardnutDined on 8/25/2014We visited the Boulder Chophouse and Tavern for Denver Restaurant Week. The menu for the occasion was a bit limited (2 options for courses 1 and 3), but everything we ordered off the menu was incredibly delicious, and there were some tasty options for steak preparation for the main course. All of us succumbed to the filet, and found them to be perfectly prepared. Our service was impeccable: efficient, friendly, knowledgeable, and fun. We had a great time and will inevitably be back. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent MealZellDined on 8/25/2014We decided to have a special dinner out during Denver's Restaurant week. And chose the Boulder Chop House. My husband & I each chose one of the 3-course Restaurant Week menus. The steaks were grilled to perfection, the corn bread was moist and delicious, and the peach sorbet was the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loveland80537Dined on 8/25/2014My strip steak was poor in quality--great preparation. It was the lowest grade of meat Iv'e encountered in my total dining experiences. The manager (Nate) was apologetic and comped my meal. The only good thing on the plate was the mashed potatoes. As the evening progressed the prime rib was taken off the menu due to its low quality and didin't meet the restaurant standards. I still maintain it was the select grade meat.
- steak8Dined on 8/25/2014We had an excellent meal at a reasonable price -- during Denver Restaurant Week. Delicious and perfectly prepared steak, tasty cheddar mashed potatoes and good key lime pie. Featured wine was reasonable ($28/bottle)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denver Restaurant Week DealPickyEaterDined on 8/24/2014Our group chose Boukder Chop House for Denver Restaurant Week because of the menu options. Unlike many of the restaurants participating in DRW, the Boulder Chop House had full size portions and a wide variety to meet all of our personal tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerMaryeatsDined on 8/24/2014Server very attentive. Manager came by to make sure everything was taken care of. Food was perfectly prepared!Special Features:
- Boulder Chop HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Outstanding service! The filet mignon melted in our mouths!! Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.