603 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bouchesf.com/
- Phone: 4159560396x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-1:00am
Sunday 5:30pm 11:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Danny Murcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bouche
Bouche is a California-French restaurant with an oft-changing seasonal menu and a focus on small plates created by Chef Danny Murcia. The beer and wine list is centered on small producers from both California and France.Continued
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bouche reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (73)neighborhood gem (55)romantic (51)notable wine list (40)special occasion (37)late-night find (16)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014excellent ambiance good service very French atmosphere-positive definitely worth the tripSpecial Features:
- Nice atmosphere and good foodanonymousDined on 10/18/2014This is a unique cozy place with a very limited number of tables (I believe 9 x 2 people) on the first floor (and a bar area below) which makes it very intimate. The service was personable and attentive. The food was pretty good, with a limited menu selection (which I consider a good thing), and interesting appetizers. We ordered cod and duck. Both came well prepared, though the duck was especially good. This is definitely recommended for an intimate dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014We were looking for something within walking distance of union square and our hotel and after reviewing open table this place seemed a good fit. We were seated by the window upstairs which was good as it kept us cool. The water recommended a wine to pair with our meals as I was unfamiliar with the wine list selections. My wife got the flat iron steak and I got the sphagetti squash and both were excellent and the wine went well with both. I would say it was a nice little restaurant with excellent quality and a nice rustic ambience. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and pleasedrichardVIPDined on 10/14/2014Being near Union square And wanting something with some high quality I was really pleased. The small 2 level restaurant had good service and food. The bone marrow and scallop crudo were both superb. The duck was good and a little tough though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like being in ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2014What a great little restaurant! I felt like I was in one of those treasured Parisian bistros down an old cobble stone street but no, right off Union Square. The food was terrrific. The lamb crepinette and the rock cod were both wonderful. The crispy pork belly was a close second. The duck was flavorful but a tad bit chewy. The fig leaf ice cream was delicious. The wine list was a little difficult if you do not know your French wines but our server spent the time to take us through and explain what wines went with our meal. And they have a lovely rose champagne by the glass which was a great way to start the evening. I can not wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fine foodstanDined on 10/13/2014Food very interesting and satisfying - I had the pork belly starter, and it was superb; highly recommended. Main course was small but very tasty and imaginatively prepared. My wife had the seared cod, which was also tasty, but watch out for the little bones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG 👍foodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Honestly speachless with excitement and content. Travel the world and this was one of best dining experiences. I actually hugged the inner and both chefs. 39 years of global travel, I'm a foodie snob and I've wrtten almost no reviews, but this was outstanding. Really no fitting words to describe how wonderful this pace is.Special Features:
- surprise on Union squareralphieDined on 10/11/2014charming small restaurant. loved being upstairs, passing the 3 chefs working their magic below. reasonable pricing for the highest quality food. between the 3 of us, sampled 3 of 4 appetizers, and all (pork belly, bone marrow and lamb) were heavenly. Rock cod and duck breast were delicately seasoned, seriously cooked to perfection. wine list was not inspiring, and a little pricey relative to retail. will be back!Special Features:
- AwesomePattyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Small intimate restaurant. When you look at it from the outside, you are thinking, hmmmmm should we go in?? Please do, it was awesome! The service was excellent and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Gabriel12kFreel12VIPDined on 10/6/2014Limited menu, but who cares when the food is this good. 5of us ordered 4 entrees, the steak and the duck being stand out. The appetizer lamb and bacon thing, amazing! Even though our table was not ready for 20 minutes past our reservation time, the seater was much accommodating, explaining the wine menu, and brining a glass promptly, spot on what we wanted. Deserts are ridiculously rich, but worth saving room for.Special Features:
- Met expectationsbigtDined on 10/3/2014Solid reviews and overall good experience. Table was ready when we showed up (on time) and food was very good. Service was solid and unobtrusive, with minor ding for not asking about drink orders / suggesting wine / etc. As others have noted it is a very small space, which I thought made for a nice anniversary or date night dinner.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This is an amazing little gem with inspired food and terrific service. French wines from boutique vineyards. Don't let the facade drive you away. Once upstairs you are transported to France. Will be back often. DianeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitkatDined on 9/26/2014Most excellent dinner. French cuisine, but with a twist. Bone marrow, but deep fried. Poached egg (just the perfect doneness), but in strawberry vinegar sauce... In other words, a new take on familiar things. Oh, and the best ever chocolate ganache cake. This was the best dessert I've had in the past year. But enough about food. Haven't been upstairs, but the downstairs seating is lovely. The space is tight, but you get to meet people. The atmosphere is that of a laid back place. You see some of the preparing done, you see the staff moving swiftly around... and yet the food is so upscale that altogether you feel like you just came over to your friend's place for dinner, and the friend is a professional chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014If you are in San Francisco and are staying anywhere near Bush Street, go meet Danny the Chef and their whole team is amazing!Special Features:
- excellent food, service okayrinxDined on 9/23/2014The food was excellent. We had steak and tomatoes stuffed with risotto. The menu is simple and delectable. However, the noise level is high (sometimes felt like I had to yell across the table), and the waiter forgot our orders the first time. It was unintentional and an honest mistake, though, so I would say that it was overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoucheAITCHPEEBEDined on 9/20/2014SAN FRANSISCO FRENCH,INNOVATIVE EXECUTION, MORE NICE TOUCHES IN THE EXECUTION THAN MOST PLACES. SMALL, COUNTER SPACE AT STREETLEVEL, ABOUT EIGHT TWO-PERSON TABLES AND ONE THREE UPSTAIRS. VERY INTIMATE AMBIENCE, VERY FRENCH. A STEAK QUITE MEDIUM, NOT MEDIUM RARE; WE REFUSED REPLACEMENT AND THEY MADE IT FREE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tight knit groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014I usually think there is room for improvement when I go out, my standards being what they are. Here, I would not have changed a thing....pretty amazing really. I emailed Bouche a couple days before my visit as I wanted to get a menu, my date is allergic to garlic and wheat and I wanted an idea about what her options were going to be. They emailed the menu as well as "safe items" great customer service. When I arrived (early as always) I was greeted warmly at the door and asked if I wanted to have a seat at the bar. The waiter knew about all the wines on the wine list, and I settled on one. From that moment to the last everything was awesome, the food, the service, everything. It is a tiny, but wonderful place with authentic french food.Special Features:
- lovephillyDined on 9/11/2014Our waiter was very helpful with wine choices and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world!!!gourmandgourmetDined on 9/9/2014Our first dinner here was full of Wow! OMG! Unbelievable! You MUST taste this! What a fantastic experience, dish after dish, every bite bursting with wonderful, sophisticated & delicate flavors! 1. Mache salad, goat cheese, poached egg & strawberries: amazing combination, different, tasty & with strawberries finally tasting like real strawberries! 2.Pan seared rock cod (generous portion): fresh, delicious, & melting in my mouth; accompanying veggies: yummy fiesta // Steaks & gratins: to die for! 3.Fig ice-cream: good (but too hard when it arrived) // chocolate ganache cake: un regal! 4.Great French wine. OUTSTANDING QUALITY, UNIQUE SAVOIR-FAIRE, friendly service=BEST French food in SF (& I'm from France). Bring back the beet ice-cream SVP!Special Features:
- Food heaven!FrauDined on 9/8/2014Although the restaurant is extremely small (cozy), it is huge on delivering fabulous meals. Our group tried all of the main offerings of the night, and the stand-out appy was the Bone Marrow (uniquely prepped). We also loved the Duck Breast and the Eggplant & Squash Napoleon for mains. Also recommend the risotto stuffed tomatoes as a side. Well thought out menu in variation, and execution of all the dishes was exceptional, with well adjusted seasonings and flavours. Nicely rounded wine menu to complement the French cuisine. Very good service, not too intrusive but always there.Special Features:
- Bouche always topnotchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014I think this was the third time I have been to Bouche over the past few years. When in SF, I always try for a dinner there. Great atmosphere, knowledgeable service, and just wonderful modern bistro food which combines traditional elements with newer approaches. Really one of my favourite French restos in North America, and I have spent most of my life in Montreal, so that says a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceTXMamaDined on 9/7/2014We loved our visit to Bouche, which we found on Yelp. The food was great from appetizers all the way to desserts. When we needed help the waiter, Charles, was very knowledgeable and very willing to share information. The whole time we were there he was attentive enough to be more than your average waiter without being overly pushy. He was a big part of the whole experience, making us feel welcome. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic and very European, with it's super close quarters. We liked that because we enjoyed a different dining experience than every other restaurant in America. We have told all of our friends about it since our return home and will return the next time we are in San Fran for the superior food and service.Special Features:
- Awesome food, romantic settingEVOODined on 8/31/2014Could not have hoped for a more perfect dining experience - from food, setting to service - to celebrate our anniversary. Magical evening will not be forgotten and always recommended. Don't be fooled by unassuming front door because once inside, a whole new vibe starts. Had the mâché salad to start, delicate favors with the contrasting crunch of sunflower seeds. Perfect lead in to the skirt steak, which was perectly prepared and more than enough for me so I could share with my date! He shared his pork belly appetizer, also perfectly prepared and then the rock cod. Everyone's meal looked wonderful and if I lived closer I'd be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinglikeshomecookingDined on 8/28/2014I'm more of a german cuisine devotee, but the food here was simply outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotdccooksVIPDined on 8/27/2014We wanted a less touristy choice in SF. The charcuterie plate was excellent as was the wine list. Main course choices were a bit predictable but quite good. Goat cheese cake with beet ice cream was very good. Excellent value received for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SubpargoodeatsDined on 8/27/2014Great decor/ambiance. Should have put some of the decorating effort into the food. The mache and sunflower sprout salad came with old, actually wilted greens and there wasn't anything really interesting about the taste. The rock cod was dry, overcooked, and tough. The first wine that was recommended (a sauvignon blanc) was watery/flavorless. The best dish was the dessert--goat cheese cheesecake with candied walnuts, savory beet ice cream, and balsamic. The ice cream could have been creamier--it was kind of dry and grainy--but overall was a tasty and interesting dish. However, overall, the place is subpar. In a city with so many outstanding food options, Bouche really isn't going to make it if this is the best it can offer.
- Surprising find...DinerSFVIPDined on 8/23/2014Daniel was our server and he was excellent. He cared more than most servers that I've encountered over the past year or 2. Overall the food was really nice and the choices were good too. I'll head back for another evening...Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014Lovely neighborhood setting and attention to detail in the preparation and delivery. We had a wonderful anniversary dinner here.Special Features:
- LovelyLaRayDined on 8/22/2014In a city filled with wonderful dining options, Bouche stands out. The warm service and simple yet, impressive menu is just the beginning of what makes this place great. I admire a restaurant where each item it places on the menu is equally as wonderful in presentation and in taste. I watched as other diners received their meals and you could hear the squeals of delight as they tasted the dishes. I had the cheese - amazing - and the vegetarian option, a creation I had never seen on any menu. It was outstanding. My partner had the steak dish and called it a top 10 meal of his lifetime. It is quaint and romantic and simple and delicious. Just lovely.Special Features:
- GeneralVIPDined on 8/19/2014The place is quite small an the food not great. The price is high for the overall dining experience
- A Surprise PackageBasileDined on 8/17/2014we arrived to find a character filled restaurant, greeted at the door by a charming French host. our table was not ready, so we sat at the bar with a complimentary glass of champagne. Whilst waiting we enjoyed watching the chefs doing their stuff. once seated in the cosy upstairs dining area, we enjoyed a wonderful meal and very attentive staff with personality.Special Features:
- Exceptional FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2014Absolutely delicious, will be back next time in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, quaint, w/ outstanding food!SevenaltaDined on 8/16/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary dinner, because we had just come back from Paris and wasn't over the city quite yet. From the pictures I saw of the restaurant on Yelp, I thought it would be a dressier place and my wife and I came in a little over dressed for the place. I would say at the most, business casual for this place. She said it felt like we were in Paris. It was nice being served by friendly French people, just like in France. I have to say though, the food in this place was better than anywhere we ate while we were actually in Paris.Special Features:
- tiny but funMariposashelVIPDined on 8/15/2014Not being from San Francisco made finding Bouche a little tricky because it is very small. However, it was well worth the effort. We had the opportunity to meet the owner who took the time to help us select some wonderful wine. The list is all French since he is from Provence but the selection is excellent. We also had the opportunity to meet the chef Danny, whose enthusiasm showed in everything on the menu. DO NOT MISS THE LAMB AND BACON SAUSAGE! It is killer. Everything on the menu is wonderful and you can't go wrong with anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little neighborhood gemLoveveggiesVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a charming, small restaurant, with delicious food and friendly and efficient service. We enjoyed a wonderful meal, and appreciated the special attention we received from the hostess and waiter, who were very apologetic about how long we needed to wait for our table. That is perhaps the only drawback -- If you're in a hurry, and even though you have a reservation, there's no guarantee that the previous diners will vacate your reserved table in a timely manner. So, in our case, their 5:30 dinner lingered well beyond our 7 p.m. time slot, so that we weren't seated until about 7:45. Our dinner companion had a driver picking her up at 8:30, so we were a bit anxious. Thanks to the kitchen's efficiency, it didn't end up being a problem.Special Features:
- Monday dinnerSaffron75Dined on 8/11/2014We love Bouche but Monday may not be the best day to be there. Dinner for the 3 of us was not quite up to par. The best of what we had included the salad with the pickled egg, the duck, and the chocolate tart, which were all delicious. Two of us had the fish dish, which was Rock Cod with crawfish, and it was just OK. I felt the same about the soup of the day, a pureed English pea soup, though the garnishes were nice. The scallop carpaccio appetizer was not as good as the one we have had with whole scallops. Desserts are always dependably delicious. We would return on a Monday to give it another try, but suspect other days would be safer unless changes are made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly intimate diningKiwifoodyDined on 8/4/2014The dining experience at Bouche was very pleasurable. The waiter was friendly and helped us negotiate the wine list. He understood what we were looking for and recommended accordingly. The food was delicious. There was a slight mix up as he misunderstood entree size and initially charged as main size but this was rectified with a smile. We would definitely recommend dining at Bouche. It is a total cosy heart warming tummy filling experienceSpecial Features:
- Cute little french placeJasmineDined on 8/1/2014We went here for dinner before a play. The food was fantastic. It's a tiny little place, so you'll likely need a reservation to get a table, but is well worth it!Special Features:
- Updated FrenchJerGourDined on 8/1/2014This is one of the few French, in cooking style and ambience, in Downtown San Francisco. There are four main entrees offered, priced at $28. Entry is a small storefront with seating in a small alcove upstairs, small bar seating on street level with open kitchen. Hostess and male server were French. I would describe entrees as updated French with flourishes of modernity and garnishes. Servings are medium sized-no worries of miniscule multi-course tasting menus. Flavors and tastes were fairly good. (No 4% SF health surcharge)Special Features:
- A tiny spot with excellent food.SeattliteDined on 7/29/2014Food was absolutely great and the waiter was fun and engaging. Individuals or couples can sit downstairs at the bar or along the counter, even without a reservation, especially if you get there relatively early.Special Features: