603 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bouchesf.com/
- Phone: 4159560396x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-1:00am
Sunday 5:30pm 11:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Danny Murcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bouche
Bouche is a California-French restaurant with an oft-changing seasonal menu and a focus on small plates created by Chef Danny Murcia. The beer and wine list is centered on small producers from both California and France.Continued
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Bouche reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (32)special occasion (30)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A Surprise PackageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014we arrived to find a character filled restaurant, greeted at the door by a charming French host. our table was not ready, so we sat at the bar with a complimentary glass of champagne. Whilst waiting we enjoyed watching the chefs doing their stuff. once seated in the cosy upstairs dining area, we enjoyed a wonderful meal and very attentive staff with personality.Special Features:
- Exceptional FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2014Absolutely delicious, will be back next time in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny but funMariposashelVIPDined on 8/15/2014Not being from San Francisco made finding Bouche a little tricky because it is very small. However, it was well worth the effort. We had the opportunity to meet the owner who took the time to help us select some wonderful wine. The list is all French since he is from Provence but the selection is excellent. We also had the opportunity to meet the chef Danny, whose enthusiasm showed in everything on the menu. DO NOT MISS THE LAMB AND BACON SAUSAGE! It is killer. Everything on the menu is wonderful and you can't go wrong with anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little neighborhood gemLoveveggiesVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a charming, small restaurant, with delicious food and friendly and efficient service. We enjoyed a wonderful meal, and appreciated the special attention we received from the hostess and waiter, who were very apologetic about how long we needed to wait for our table. That is perhaps the only drawback -- If you're in a hurry, and even though you have a reservation, there's no guarantee that the previous diners will vacate your reserved table in a timely manner. So, in our case, their 5:30 dinner lingered well beyond our 7 p.m. time slot, so that we weren't seated until about 7:45. Our dinner companion had a driver picking her up at 8:30, so we were a bit anxious. Thanks to the kitchen's efficiency, it didn't end up being a problem.Special Features:
- Monday dinnerSaffron75Dined on 8/11/2014We love Bouche but Monday may not be the best day to be there. Dinner for the 3 of us was not quite up to par. The best of what we had included the salad with the pickled egg, the duck, and the chocolate tart, which were all delicious. Two of us had the fish dish, which was Rock Cod with crawfish, and it was just OK. I felt the same about the soup of the day, a pureed English pea soup, though the garnishes were nice. The scallop carpaccio appetizer was not as good as the one we have had with whole scallops. Desserts are always dependably delicious. We would return on a Monday to give it another try, but suspect other days would be safer unless changes are made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly intimate diningKiwifoodyDined on 8/4/2014The dining experience at Bouche was very pleasurable. The waiter was friendly and helped us negotiate the wine list. He understood what we were looking for and recommended accordingly. The food was delicious. There was a slight mix up as he misunderstood entree size and initially charged as main size but this was rectified with a smile. We would definitely recommend dining at Bouche. It is a total cosy heart warming tummy filling experienceSpecial Features:
- Cute little french placeJasmineDined on 8/1/2014We went here for dinner before a play. The food was fantastic. It's a tiny little place, so you'll likely need a reservation to get a table, but is well worth it!Special Features:
- Updated FrenchJerGourDined on 8/1/2014This is one of the few French, in cooking style and ambience, in Downtown San Francisco. There are four main entrees offered, priced at $28. Entry is a small storefront with seating in a small alcove upstairs, small bar seating on street level with open kitchen. Hostess and male server were French. I would describe entrees as updated French with flourishes of modernity and garnishes. Servings are medium sized-no worries of miniscule multi-course tasting menus. Flavors and tastes were fairly good. (No 4% SF health surcharge)Special Features:
- A tiny spot with excellent food.SeattliteDined on 7/29/2014Food was absolutely great and the waiter was fun and engaging. Individuals or couples can sit downstairs at the bar or along the counter, even without a reservation, especially if you get there relatively early.Special Features:
- French hideaway on Bush!denopotterVIPDined on 7/27/2014A casual French restaurant, the kind you would find on a side street of Paris-nothing pretentious, just good food. From the tin plated walls to the energetic chef whose kitchen you see as you walk through the door, you instantly feel you've travelled 12 hours and landed in France. Judy, our hostess, leads you to an upstairs loft where maybe a dozen tables are there for your dining pleasure. We started with an order of bacon bread, an appetizer of bone marrow acorn tapenade followed by my main selection of butternut squash and eggplant Napoleon-my only disappointment was they were out of the signature dessert- strawberry tart--my suggestion--claim your piece before you start your appetizer to be sure the kitchen saves you a piece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rngypsy03Dined on 7/24/2014Love this little French restaurant. What a find, and almost all locals! Which says a great deal.Special Features:
- Great, but too toastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014We had a great time at Bouche, but don't go there when SF is having a heat wave. The upstairs was at least 90 degrees and the fans and open windows didn't help. The wait staff were great and the food good, but it is a small space with no room for heat waves. The heat made it hard to enjoy.Special Features:
- Tourist restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2014Bouche is an appealing space - cute and intimate - but both the menu and the quality of the food were very disappointing. Seasoning was bland - even the duck.
- Memorable mealtastytimeDined on 7/22/2014A unique dining experience with a warm and friendly atmosphere. The wine list was varied and presented many options for pleasant course selections. The food had a lovely presentation and a wonderful variety of delightful selections. Service was personal and attentive, but dinner was a relaxed and engaging time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Kuzmab1Dined on 7/21/2014Bouche always delivers! A new item this time was the chick pea fries...divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDuvel78Dined on 7/19/2014After a long day of site seeing and travel bouche was a welcome gem. Through open table, we pushed our reservation back to 11:30. They were accommodating and we had a lovely dinner. Highly Reccomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingBobGDined on 7/18/2014You don't know what to expect based on the unassuming entrance, but it is tiny and amazing. The French menu is small but everything we ate from appetizer to dessert was terrific. The portions are well-sized and the wine menu is deep. The hostess/waitress was incredibly knowledgable and chatty, adding to an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Consistently stellarGoreyGirlVIPDined on 7/14/2014The menu is always different, inspiring, and delicious...I have no idea how they consistently turn out such high-quality food in a kitchen the size of a steamer trunk. On this visit, service was typically outstanding and they brought glasses of bubbly to everyone in the restaurant gratis, to celebrate Bastille Day. Three words: Duck confit croquettes....my bouche was very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We have been here a few times and have never been let down. The food and service are always amazing. Guillame really knows wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place!HollLcDined on 7/10/2014Bouche is a wonderful restaurant, not only for its food but for the couple who own and run Bouche. Their presence creates a family-like feel that also embodies a chic and romantic climate. My friend and I shared most of our orders so we tasted quite a bit and everything was interesting and yummy. I wasn't keen on the Scallop Carpaccio, mainly because its texture freaked me out. My friend loved it. She also was wild about the mashed potatoes with king crab - I don't eat crab so I did not taste it. The Mache salad seemed small at first but once we were finished it was the perfect size, filling because of the poached egg which made the dressing thick and creamy. The cod was delightful as was the cheese plate. An experience to remember!Special Features:
- Nice little restaurant. Intimate.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Great little restaurant living up to a good French restaurant reputation. Small selections, but high quality, of dishes. Could improve on desert choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantsveneDined on 6/26/2014Went to a restaurant with my friend. It is small yet cute and full of character. The food was delicious. Really well cooked. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the wine selection. We chose to have the whites that day. The Vognier was thick and extremely sweet like a dessert wine. I couldn't finish my glass. Then we order another bottle of white. It was so so too. Perhaps the reds are better.Special Features:
- Yummy hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014What a great find...we took a chance on this not having it been recommended. Apps and entree's were both delicious and the wait staff was awesome. Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found this restaurant!GladsDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food,great service and cozy ambiance! Intimate restaurant that delivers great food!The duck confit and pork belly - a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint dinner spotHarmonyanimalvet1Dined on 6/19/2014Very good experience at this restaurant, staff friendly and good with our two children, very cute loft like atmosphere upstairs for dinner, we enjoyed good wines in the $50 price range, all the food was enjoyable and well prepared, would certainly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placekostyaDined on 6/6/2014Very satisfied with food and atmosphere, one minor con - waited for our entree for 10-15 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2014Glad I went once but I'd probably never return. Lovely ambiance with a friendly and accommodating staff. Lot's of ideas on the plate but a lack of execution. Flavors weren't well balanced and there wasn't enough attention to detail.Special Features:
- Everything was wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/31/2014The food, service, and ambience was outstanding. This is the epitome of a neighborhood gem, and it is simply fantastic that a dining experience of this caliber can be had past midnight. Bravo, we will be back often.Special Features:
- Great, as Usual!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014Bouche never fails to amaze me! Great Food, Great Vibe.....I will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Hidden gemluv2eatDined on 5/25/2014Behind an unassuming store front is an amazing french restaurant fit for foodies. Great food. Great service. Full of charm and a perfect restaurant for a date or to rekindle the romance in any relationship.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, glad we went!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014Entrees were most enjoyable! Sweetbread appetizer so disappointing - despite listing sweetbread as the first ingredient, it was almost entirely mushrooms, which quite overtook the flavor of the few teensy pieces of sweetbread. Enjoyed the wines! The cafe americain was a true one - excellent! Creme fraiche custard - amazing! We had a miscommunication as we had requested as quiet a table as possible (because of a hearing issue). When we were being seated, I asked for the empty table against the wall in the middle right, saying we needed as quiet table as possible;we were told that that table had been 'requested' already. That table sat empty the full hour and ten minutes we were there, with a couple arriving just before we left.Special Features:
- A real neighborhood restaurantgregDined on 5/24/2014We found Bouche via the internet. What we didn't know was how quaint this "find" of a restaurant was going to be. It is quite small in a physical sense, but quite large in a culinary sense. Our table was located upstairs in an attic like room with windows that opened out into the street so that we could observe the street scene. The guests who sat at the small tables on either side of us where friendly and easily engaged in conversation without becoming invasive. The food was prepared simply, but elegantly. We so enjoyed the comfort that Bouche provides. The wait staff also deserves kudos for their assistance and advice. All in all, this was an unexpectedly wonderful experience in a city known for its fine restaurants.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a small, crowded restuarant, but that only adds to the "authentic" atmosphere. The service was excellent. The waitstaff were pleasant, knowledgeable and attentive, but we were not rushed and had the time to enjoy the experience. The food was first class and the wines unusual (at least for me) but interesting. We will return.Special Features:
- well conceived dishesBruceDined on 5/24/2014The dishes were creative, complex yet harmonius. It's was truly delicious.Special Features:
- "Hidden" gemTTSFVIPDined on 5/20/2014Tucked away from the Union Square crowd, Bouche is a gem atop the Stockton Street Tunnel. Super cute and cozy restaurant with delicious food. The service is slightly slow, so this isn't the place to come if you're on a tight timeline, but if you have the time for a leisurely meal, it's lovely. Be sure to save room for dessert!Special Features:
- wrong night, but great foodSaffron75Dined on 5/18/2014Our dinner was delicious and the service was terrific as always. 4 stars for BOUCHE. No stars for OPEN TABLE. Open Table WRONGLY had us down for a res. on 5-18 We are two hours away from home and would never make an 8:30 reservation. We had made one for May 19th and OT did not get that info to Bouche. We were listed as a no-show on the 18th and no reservation on the 19th, yet Bouche was kind enough to seat us when we arrived on the 19th. Our dinner was delicious and the service was terrific as always. 4 stars for BOUCHE. No stars for OPEN TABLE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming FindseattlefoodgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is one of the most charming restaurants in San Francisco and the food is delicious, too. Although small, this restaurant is efficiently run. Our waiter was outstanding and friendly. He chose the perfect wines to go with our entrees. On this recent visit, our favorite items were the Duck Confit Croquants for the appetizer and the Citrus & Honey Confit Lamb Shank and the Pan Seared Petrale Sole for entrees. We travel to San Francisco 3-4 times a year and eat at many restaurants but this is the one I dream about when I am home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent treatsjboneDined on 5/14/2014Many unique menu items all were exquisite. Had the real feeling of being in a french country inn. Not their fault but the night we were there was a real scorcher (unusual for SF) and they are not air conditioned . Staff made the best of it with plenty of ice. Will return.Special Features:
- memorable brunchMiswuVIPDined on 5/11/2014Good brunch menu with friendly services. Entrees was delicious and well presented. Great setting and atmosphere. Will definitely return...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience with lacking servicemeilinnnDined on 5/11/2014I had wanted to go to Bouche for a while now, so I made reservations for brunch on Mother's Day. Especially after hearing May 11th would be the last Sunday Brunch Bouche would have. Our food was great. However, I won't bother writing what we ordered because Bouche will no longer have brunch and because our dining experience lacked service. I said that I'll recommend Bouche to a friend, only because the food was great and I want to give Bouche a second change.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.