603 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bouchesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 956-0396
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-1:00am
Sunday 5:30pm 11:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Danny Murcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bouche
Bouche is a California-French restaurant with an oft-changing seasonal menu and a focus on small plates created by Chef Danny Murcia. The beer and wine list is centered on small producers from both California and France.Continued
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bouche reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (74)neighborhood gem (57)romantic (50)notable wine list (36)special occasion (29)late-night find (16)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014We had scallop carpaccio, salmon and duck. All of them were fine but forgettable. The carpaccio was probably the best - very fresh and tart with the radishes. Perhaps my palate is unsophisticated, but the duck was too bland for me and so rare as to be chewy. My wife liked the salmon but said she liked Chapeau! better overall. Service was fine even if the kitchen was a tad slow but then again we arrived right at 5:30. I guess the decor is going for a rustic bistro/bar feel, but I would expect heartier (e.g. bigger portions, richer flavor) given that. So yeah, I don't understand all the rave reviews.
- Not consistentDahoVIPDined on 11/14/2014I have been to this restaurant a few times now. Highly recommend making a reservation as it is very small. I think it depends which chef is working. Sometimes it's terrific, sometimes it's mediocre.Special Features:
- small gemvfromstlVIPDined on 11/9/2014Tiny french place with superb food. Only seats about 15 up stairs. Pork belly appetizer was amazing.Special Features:
- A hole in the wallFleurdecourgetteDined on 11/5/2014Very small and noisy 8 upstairs tables for two are close to each other, quite expensive even though the food is good ,and the serving are very large , the service is fine . It looks like eating at the bar downstairs will be fun for lunch
- Hidden GemPegTxExDined on 11/3/2014Love this tiny French restaurant on Bush Street! Still dreaming about the roasted bone marrow, seared duck breast and braised pork shoulder. All were prepared to perfection. Charming wait staff and attentive service, and very helpful with wine pairings. Highly recommend. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mehhh.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Great ambience, mediocre food at best. Very disappointed in both apps and entrées.Special Features:
- Outstanding food!DelightfulDined on 10/27/2014Gracious hosts, excellent service. Delicious food, ambiance and and an overall delightful restaurant. Perfect for entertaining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not classic frenchleetaylor242Dined on 10/27/2014Food was very good, but menu was not what I had expected.
- An unexpected pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/26/2014Only problem was that they didn't seat us until 25 minutes after reservation timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent wine list090579Dined on 10/26/2014My husband and I were very pleased with the selection of wines this restaurant has. The menu had an option for every one.Special Features:
- Good Things Come in Small PackagesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Beautifully prepared and presented food. Scallop crudo with diced melon and avocado; perfectly cooked duck breast with honeyed faro; creme freche custard with caramel were standouts. Attentive, efficient service. French-dominant wine list, but our server steered us to a delightful Claypool Cellars Pachyderm Pinot from Russian River in lieu of a Burgundy. The restaurant is tiny with maybe 6 or 7 tables on upstairs loft overlooking Bush Street - where most reservations are seated. Downstairs has counter seating and a small bar for walk-ins. Restaurant serves fairly late. I would not recommend restaurant for large groups. Ideal for couples. Overall, one of our best dining experiences in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall great but duck was badbritchickdanDined on 10/24/2014We love this place and have been several times. It is a French gem but the last two visits we've been disappointed by one of the dishes. This time it was the duck which tasted tough & bland. But they very kindly took this off the check without us requesting that. Everything else was great the wine, the lamb and pork starters and the salmon special was the best salmon I've ever had. So overall it was still really good and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday funBrandyLeeDined on 10/21/2014I made reservations here for my best friends birthday. We showed up an hour early and a person short, it wasn't a problem at all. I didn't catch our servers name, but he was very knowledgeable and he was excellent. The food is amazing, every single dish was out of this world. We ordered the majority of what was on the menu and nothing let me down. My favorites, the pork belly was perfection. The steak, I kept going back to this dish it was so good. Lastly, the creme fraiche custard with salted carmel on the side. We devoured this one and ordered a second one. We all agreed it was the best dessert we had. All together an amazing meal, amazing service and there is a cute bar next door to go to after dinner. We will definitely be here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny GemGoldenJoeVIPDined on 10/19/2014This little place draws me back every time I visit SF. I love the food. The atmosphere is comfortable and very informal. The service is always very good or outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mickmontanaDined on 10/18/2014excellent ambiance good service very French atmosphere-positive definitely worth the tripSpecial Features:
- Nice atmosphere and good foodanonymousDined on 10/18/2014This is a unique cozy place with a very limited number of tables (I believe 9 x 2 people) on the first floor (and a bar area below) which makes it very intimate. The service was personable and attentive. The food was pretty good, with a limited menu selection (which I consider a good thing), and interesting appetizers. We ordered cod and duck. Both came well prepared, though the duck was especially good. This is definitely recommended for an intimate dining experience.Special Features:
- Worst experience everMvr0519VIPDined on 10/17/2014The service was so bad we left at our appetizers. It's also very small crowded and hot
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014We were looking for something within walking distance of union square and our hotel and after reviewing open table this place seemed a good fit. We were seated by the window upstairs which was good as it kept us cool. The water recommended a wine to pair with our meals as I was unfamiliar with the wine list selections. My wife got the flat iron steak and I got the sphagetti squash and both were excellent and the wine went well with both. I would say it was a nice little restaurant with excellent quality and a nice rustic ambience. Would recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and pleasedrichardVIPDined on 10/14/2014Being near Union square And wanting something with some high quality I was really pleased. The small 2 level restaurant had good service and food. The bone marrow and scallop crudo were both superb. The duck was good and a little tough though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt like being in ParisOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/14/2014What a great little restaurant! I felt like I was in one of those treasured Parisian bistros down an old cobble stone street but no, right off Union Square. The food was terrrific. The lamb crepinette and the rock cod were both wonderful. The crispy pork belly was a close second. The duck was flavorful but a tad bit chewy. The fig leaf ice cream was delicious. The wine list was a little difficult if you do not know your French wines but our server spent the time to take us through and explain what wines went with our meal. And they have a lovely rose champagne by the glass which was a great way to start the evening. I can not wait to go back!Special Features:
- Fine foodstanDined on 10/13/2014Food very interesting and satisfying - I had the pork belly starter, and it was superb; highly recommended. Main course was small but very tasty and imaginatively prepared. My wife had the seared cod, which was also tasty, but watch out for the little bones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG 👍foodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Honestly speachless with excitement and content. Travel the world and this was one of best dining experiences. I actually hugged the inner and both chefs. 39 years of global travel, I'm a foodie snob and I've wrtten almost no reviews, but this was outstanding. Really no fitting words to describe how wonderful this pace is.Special Features:
- surprise on Union squareralphieDined on 10/11/2014charming small restaurant. loved being upstairs, passing the 3 chefs working their magic below. reasonable pricing for the highest quality food. between the 3 of us, sampled 3 of 4 appetizers, and all (pork belly, bone marrow and lamb) were heavenly. Rock cod and duck breast were delicately seasoned, seriously cooked to perfection. wine list was not inspiring, and a little pricey relative to retail. will be back!Special Features:
- AwesomePattyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Small intimate restaurant. When you look at it from the outside, you are thinking, hmmmmm should we go in?? Please do, it was awesome! The service was excellent and the food delicious.Special Features:
- Gabriel12kFreel12VIPDined on 10/6/2014Limited menu, but who cares when the food is this good. 5of us ordered 4 entrees, the steak and the duck being stand out. The appetizer lamb and bacon thing, amazing! Even though our table was not ready for 20 minutes past our reservation time, the seater was much accommodating, explaining the wine menu, and brining a glass promptly, spot on what we wanted. Deserts are ridiculously rich, but worth saving room for.Special Features:
- Met expectationsbigtDined on 10/3/2014Solid reviews and overall good experience. Table was ready when we showed up (on time) and food was very good. Service was solid and unobtrusive, with minor ding for not asking about drink orders / suggesting wine / etc. As others have noted it is a very small space, which I thought made for a nice anniversary or date night dinner.Special Features:
- Fabulous FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014This is an amazing little gem with inspired food and terrific service. French wines from boutique vineyards. Don't let the facade drive you away. Once upstairs you are transported to France. Will be back often. DianeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kitkatDined on 9/26/2014Most excellent dinner. French cuisine, but with a twist. Bone marrow, but deep fried. Poached egg (just the perfect doneness), but in strawberry vinegar sauce... In other words, a new take on familiar things. Oh, and the best ever chocolate ganache cake. This was the best dessert I've had in the past year. But enough about food. Haven't been upstairs, but the downstairs seating is lovely. The space is tight, but you get to meet people. The atmosphere is that of a laid back place. You see some of the preparing done, you see the staff moving swiftly around... and yet the food is so upscale that altogether you feel like you just came over to your friend's place for dinner, and the friend is a professional chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014If you are in San Francisco and are staying anywhere near Bush Street, go meet Danny the Chef and their whole team is amazing!Special Features:
- excellent food, service okayrinxDined on 9/23/2014The food was excellent. We had steak and tomatoes stuffed with risotto. The menu is simple and delectable. However, the noise level is high (sometimes felt like I had to yell across the table), and the waiter forgot our orders the first time. It was unintentional and an honest mistake, though, so I would say that it was overall a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BoucheAITCHPEEBEDined on 9/20/2014SAN FRANSISCO FRENCH,INNOVATIVE EXECUTION, MORE NICE TOUCHES IN THE EXECUTION THAN MOST PLACES. SMALL, COUNTER SPACE AT STREETLEVEL, ABOUT EIGHT TWO-PERSON TABLES AND ONE THREE UPSTAIRS. VERY INTIMATE AMBIENCE, VERY FRENCH. A STEAK QUITE MEDIUM, NOT MEDIUM RARE; WE REFUSED REPLACEMENT AND THEY MADE IT FREE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tight knit groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014I usually think there is room for improvement when I go out, my standards being what they are. Here, I would not have changed a thing....pretty amazing really. I emailed Bouche a couple days before my visit as I wanted to get a menu, my date is allergic to garlic and wheat and I wanted an idea about what her options were going to be. They emailed the menu as well as "safe items" great customer service. When I arrived (early as always) I was greeted warmly at the door and asked if I wanted to have a seat at the bar. The waiter knew about all the wines on the wine list, and I settled on one. From that moment to the last everything was awesome, the food, the service, everything. It is a tiny, but wonderful place with authentic french food.Special Features:
- lovephillyDined on 9/11/2014Our waiter was very helpful with wine choices and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world!!!gourmandgourmetDined on 9/9/2014Our first dinner here was full of Wow! OMG! Unbelievable! You MUST taste this! What a fantastic experience, dish after dish, every bite bursting with wonderful, sophisticated & delicate flavors! 1. Mache salad, goat cheese, poached egg & strawberries: amazing combination, different, tasty & with strawberries finally tasting like real strawberries! 2.Pan seared rock cod (generous portion): fresh, delicious, & melting in my mouth; accompanying veggies: yummy fiesta // Steaks & gratins: to die for! 3.Fig ice-cream: good (but too hard when it arrived) // chocolate ganache cake: un regal! 4.Great French wine. OUTSTANDING QUALITY, UNIQUE SAVOIR-FAIRE, friendly service=BEST French food in SF (& I'm from France). Bring back the beet ice-cream SVP!Special Features:
- Food heaven!FrauDined on 9/8/2014Although the restaurant is extremely small (cozy), it is huge on delivering fabulous meals. Our group tried all of the main offerings of the night, and the stand-out appy was the Bone Marrow (uniquely prepped). We also loved the Duck Breast and the Eggplant & Squash Napoleon for mains. Also recommend the risotto stuffed tomatoes as a side. Well thought out menu in variation, and execution of all the dishes was exceptional, with well adjusted seasonings and flavours. Nicely rounded wine menu to complement the French cuisine. Very good service, not too intrusive but always there.Special Features:
- Bouche always topnotchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014I think this was the third time I have been to Bouche over the past few years. When in SF, I always try for a dinner there. Great atmosphere, knowledgeable service, and just wonderful modern bistro food which combines traditional elements with newer approaches. Really one of my favourite French restos in North America, and I have spent most of my life in Montreal, so that says a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceTXMamaDined on 9/7/2014We loved our visit to Bouche, which we found on Yelp. The food was great from appetizers all the way to desserts. When we needed help the waiter, Charles, was very knowledgeable and very willing to share information. The whole time we were there he was attentive enough to be more than your average waiter without being overly pushy. He was a big part of the whole experience, making us feel welcome. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic and very European, with it's super close quarters. We liked that because we enjoyed a different dining experience than every other restaurant in America. We have told all of our friends about it since our return home and will return the next time we are in San Fran for the superior food and service.Special Features:
- Awesome food, romantic settingEVOODined on 8/31/2014Could not have hoped for a more perfect dining experience - from food, setting to service - to celebrate our anniversary. Magical evening will not be forgotten and always recommended. Don't be fooled by unassuming front door because once inside, a whole new vibe starts. Had the mâché salad to start, delicate favors with the contrasting crunch of sunflower seeds. Perfect lead in to the skirt steak, which was perectly prepared and more than enough for me so I could share with my date! He shared his pork belly appetizer, also perfectly prepared and then the rock cod. Everyone's meal looked wonderful and if I lived closer I'd be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinglikeshomecookingDined on 8/28/2014I'm more of a german cuisine devotee, but the food here was simply outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotdccooksVIPDined on 8/27/2014We wanted a less touristy choice in SF. The charcuterie plate was excellent as was the wine list. Main course choices were a bit predictable but quite good. Goat cheese cake with beet ice cream was very good. Excellent value received for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.