603 Bush Street
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bouchesf.com/
- Phone: 4159560396x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M-Sa 5:30pm-1:00am
Sunday 5:30pm 11:pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Provencal, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Danny Murcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bouche
Bouche is a California-French restaurant with an oft-changing seasonal menu and a focus on small plates created by Chef Danny Murcia. The beer and wine list is centered on small producers from both California and France.Continued
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Counter seating is available on a first come first serve basis.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Bouche reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (36)notable wine list (34)late-night find (19)hot spot (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- A tight knit groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2014I usually think there is room for improvement when I go out, my standards being what they are. Here, I would not have changed a thing....pretty amazing really. I emailed Bouche a couple days before my visit as I wanted to get a menu, my date is allergic to garlic and wheat and I wanted an idea about what her options were going to be. They emailed the menu as well as "safe items" great customer service. When I arrived (early as always) I was greeted warmly at the door and asked if I wanted to have a seat at the bar. The waiter knew about all the wines on the wine list, and I settled on one. From that moment to the last everything was awesome, the food, the service, everything. It is a tiny, but wonderful place with authentic french food.Special Features:
- lovephillyDined on 9/11/2014Our waiter was very helpful with wine choices and attentive without being intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world!!!gourmandgourmetDined on 9/9/2014Our first dinner here was full of Wow! OMG! Unbelievable! You MUST taste this! What a fantastic experience, dish after dish, every bite bursting with wonderful, sophisticated & delicate flavors! 1. Mache salad, goat cheese, poached egg & strawberries: amazing combination, different, tasty & with strawberries finally tasting like real strawberries! 2.Pan seared rock cod (generous portion): fresh, delicious, & melting in my mouth; accompanying veggies: yummy fiesta // Steaks & gratins: to die for! 3.Fig ice-cream: good (but too hard when it arrived) // chocolate ganache cake: un regal! 4.Great French wine. OUTSTANDING QUALITY, UNIQUE SAVOIR-FAIRE, friendly service=BEST French food in SF (& I'm from France). Bring back the beet ice-cream SVP!Special Features:
- Food heaven!FrauDined on 9/8/2014Although the restaurant is extremely small (cozy), it is huge on delivering fabulous meals. Our group tried all of the main offerings of the night, and the stand-out appy was the Bone Marrow (uniquely prepped). We also loved the Duck Breast and the Eggplant & Squash Napoleon for mains. Also recommend the risotto stuffed tomatoes as a side. Well thought out menu in variation, and execution of all the dishes was exceptional, with well adjusted seasonings and flavours. Nicely rounded wine menu to complement the French cuisine. Very good service, not too intrusive but always there.Special Features:
- Bouche always topnotchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2014I think this was the third time I have been to Bouche over the past few years. When in SF, I always try for a dinner there. Great atmosphere, knowledgeable service, and just wonderful modern bistro food which combines traditional elements with newer approaches. Really one of my favourite French restos in North America, and I have spent most of my life in Montreal, so that says a lot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceTXMamaDined on 9/7/2014We loved our visit to Bouche, which we found on Yelp. The food was great from appetizers all the way to desserts. When we needed help the waiter, Charles, was very knowledgeable and very willing to share information. The whole time we were there he was attentive enough to be more than your average waiter without being overly pushy. He was a big part of the whole experience, making us feel welcome. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic and very European, with it's super close quarters. We liked that because we enjoyed a different dining experience than every other restaurant in America. We have told all of our friends about it since our return home and will return the next time we are in San Fran for the superior food and service.Special Features:
- Awesome food, romantic settingEVOODined on 8/31/2014Could not have hoped for a more perfect dining experience - from food, setting to service - to celebrate our anniversary. Magical evening will not be forgotten and always recommended. Don't be fooled by unassuming front door because once inside, a whole new vibe starts. Had the mâché salad to start, delicate favors with the contrasting crunch of sunflower seeds. Perfect lead in to the skirt steak, which was perectly prepared and more than enough for me so I could share with my date! He shared his pork belly appetizer, also perfectly prepared and then the rock cod. Everyone's meal looked wonderful and if I lived closer I'd be back very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandinglikeshomecookingDined on 8/28/2014I'm more of a german cuisine devotee, but the food here was simply outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spotdccooksVIPDined on 8/27/2014We wanted a less touristy choice in SF. The charcuterie plate was excellent as was the wine list. Main course choices were a bit predictable but quite good. Goat cheese cake with beet ice cream was very good. Excellent value received for moneySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SubpargoodeatsDined on 8/27/2014Great decor/ambiance. Should have put some of the decorating effort into the food. The mache and sunflower sprout salad came with old, actually wilted greens and there wasn't anything really interesting about the taste. The rock cod was dry, overcooked, and tough. The first wine that was recommended (a sauvignon blanc) was watery/flavorless. The best dish was the dessert--goat cheese cheesecake with candied walnuts, savory beet ice cream, and balsamic. The ice cream could have been creamier--it was kind of dry and grainy--but overall was a tasty and interesting dish. However, overall, the place is subpar. In a city with so many outstanding food options, Bouche really isn't going to make it if this is the best it can offer.
- Surprising find...DinerSFVIPDined on 8/23/2014Daniel was our server and he was excellent. He cared more than most servers that I've encountered over the past year or 2. Overall the food was really nice and the choices were good too. I'll head back for another evening...Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/22/2014Lovely neighborhood setting and attention to detail in the preparation and delivery. We had a wonderful anniversary dinner here.Special Features:
- LovelyLaRayDined on 8/22/2014In a city filled with wonderful dining options, Bouche stands out. The warm service and simple yet, impressive menu is just the beginning of what makes this place great. I admire a restaurant where each item it places on the menu is equally as wonderful in presentation and in taste. I watched as other diners received their meals and you could hear the squeals of delight as they tasted the dishes. I had the cheese - amazing - and the vegetarian option, a creation I had never seen on any menu. It was outstanding. My partner had the steak dish and called it a top 10 meal of his lifetime. It is quaint and romantic and simple and delicious. Just lovely.Special Features:
- GeneralVIPDined on 8/19/2014The place is quite small an the food not great. The price is high for the overall dining experience
- A Surprise PackageBasileDined on 8/17/2014we arrived to find a character filled restaurant, greeted at the door by a charming French host. our table was not ready, so we sat at the bar with a complimentary glass of champagne. Whilst waiting we enjoyed watching the chefs doing their stuff. once seated in the cosy upstairs dining area, we enjoyed a wonderful meal and very attentive staff with personality.Special Features:
- Exceptional FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2014Absolutely delicious, will be back next time in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm, quaint, w/ outstanding food!SevenaltaDined on 8/16/2014I took my wife here for our anniversary dinner, because we had just come back from Paris and wasn't over the city quite yet. From the pictures I saw of the restaurant on Yelp, I thought it would be a dressier place and my wife and I came in a little over dressed for the place. I would say at the most, business casual for this place. She said it felt like we were in Paris. It was nice being served by friendly French people, just like in France. I have to say though, the food in this place was better than anywhere we ate while we were actually in Paris.Special Features:
- tiny but funMariposashelVIPDined on 8/15/2014Not being from San Francisco made finding Bouche a little tricky because it is very small. However, it was well worth the effort. We had the opportunity to meet the owner who took the time to help us select some wonderful wine. The list is all French since he is from Provence but the selection is excellent. We also had the opportunity to meet the chef Danny, whose enthusiasm showed in everything on the menu. DO NOT MISS THE LAMB AND BACON SAUSAGE! It is killer. Everything on the menu is wonderful and you can't go wrong with anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little neighborhood gemLoveveggiesVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a charming, small restaurant, with delicious food and friendly and efficient service. We enjoyed a wonderful meal, and appreciated the special attention we received from the hostess and waiter, who were very apologetic about how long we needed to wait for our table. That is perhaps the only drawback -- If you're in a hurry, and even though you have a reservation, there's no guarantee that the previous diners will vacate your reserved table in a timely manner. So, in our case, their 5:30 dinner lingered well beyond our 7 p.m. time slot, so that we weren't seated until about 7:45. Our dinner companion had a driver picking her up at 8:30, so we were a bit anxious. Thanks to the kitchen's efficiency, it didn't end up being a problem.Special Features:
- Monday dinnerSaffron75Dined on 8/11/2014We love Bouche but Monday may not be the best day to be there. Dinner for the 3 of us was not quite up to par. The best of what we had included the salad with the pickled egg, the duck, and the chocolate tart, which were all delicious. Two of us had the fish dish, which was Rock Cod with crawfish, and it was just OK. I felt the same about the soup of the day, a pureed English pea soup, though the garnishes were nice. The scallop carpaccio appetizer was not as good as the one we have had with whole scallops. Desserts are always dependably delicious. We would return on a Monday to give it another try, but suspect other days would be safer unless changes are made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly intimate diningKiwifoodyDined on 8/4/2014The dining experience at Bouche was very pleasurable. The waiter was friendly and helped us negotiate the wine list. He understood what we were looking for and recommended accordingly. The food was delicious. There was a slight mix up as he misunderstood entree size and initially charged as main size but this was rectified with a smile. We would definitely recommend dining at Bouche. It is a total cosy heart warming tummy filling experienceSpecial Features:
- Cute little french placeJasmineDined on 8/1/2014We went here for dinner before a play. The food was fantastic. It's a tiny little place, so you'll likely need a reservation to get a table, but is well worth it!Special Features:
- Updated FrenchJerGourDined on 8/1/2014This is one of the few French, in cooking style and ambience, in Downtown San Francisco. There are four main entrees offered, priced at $28. Entry is a small storefront with seating in a small alcove upstairs, small bar seating on street level with open kitchen. Hostess and male server were French. I would describe entrees as updated French with flourishes of modernity and garnishes. Servings are medium sized-no worries of miniscule multi-course tasting menus. Flavors and tastes were fairly good. (No 4% SF health surcharge)Special Features:
- A tiny spot with excellent food.SeattliteDined on 7/29/2014Food was absolutely great and the waiter was fun and engaging. Individuals or couples can sit downstairs at the bar or along the counter, even without a reservation, especially if you get there relatively early.Special Features:
- French hideaway on Bush!denopotterVIPDined on 7/27/2014A casual French restaurant, the kind you would find on a side street of Paris-nothing pretentious, just good food. From the tin plated walls to the energetic chef whose kitchen you see as you walk through the door, you instantly feel you've travelled 12 hours and landed in France. Judy, our hostess, leads you to an upstairs loft where maybe a dozen tables are there for your dining pleasure. We started with an order of bacon bread, an appetizer of bone marrow acorn tapenade followed by my main selection of butternut squash and eggplant Napoleon-my only disappointment was they were out of the signature dessert- strawberry tart--my suggestion--claim your piece before you start your appetizer to be sure the kitchen saves you a piece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rngypsy03Dined on 7/24/2014Love this little French restaurant. What a find, and almost all locals! Which says a great deal.Special Features:
- Great, but too toastyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014We had a great time at Bouche, but don't go there when SF is having a heat wave. The upstairs was at least 90 degrees and the fans and open windows didn't help. The wait staff were great and the food good, but it is a small space with no room for heat waves. The heat made it hard to enjoy.Special Features:
- Tourist restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/23/2014Bouche is an appealing space - cute and intimate - but both the menu and the quality of the food were very disappointing. Seasoning was bland - even the duck.
- Memorable mealtastytimeDined on 7/22/2014A unique dining experience with a warm and friendly atmosphere. The wine list was varied and presented many options for pleasant course selections. The food had a lovely presentation and a wonderful variety of delightful selections. Service was personal and attentive, but dinner was a relaxed and engaging time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!Kuzmab1Dined on 7/21/2014Bouche always delivers! A new item this time was the chick pea fries...divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDuvel78Dined on 7/19/2014After a long day of site seeing and travel bouche was a welcome gem. Through open table, we pushed our reservation back to 11:30. They were accommodating and we had a lovely dinner. Highly Reccomended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingBobGDined on 7/18/2014You don't know what to expect based on the unassuming entrance, but it is tiny and amazing. The French menu is small but everything we ate from appetizer to dessert was terrific. The portions are well-sized and the wine menu is deep. The hostess/waitress was incredibly knowledgable and chatty, adding to an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Consistently stellarGoreyGirlVIPDined on 7/14/2014The menu is always different, inspiring, and delicious...I have no idea how they consistently turn out such high-quality food in a kitchen the size of a steamer trunk. On this visit, service was typically outstanding and they brought glasses of bubbly to everyone in the restaurant gratis, to celebrate Bastille Day. Three words: Duck confit croquettes....my bouche was very happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014We have been here a few times and have never been let down. The food and service are always amazing. Guillame really knows wines!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place!HollLcDined on 7/10/2014Bouche is a wonderful restaurant, not only for its food but for the couple who own and run Bouche. Their presence creates a family-like feel that also embodies a chic and romantic climate. My friend and I shared most of our orders so we tasted quite a bit and everything was interesting and yummy. I wasn't keen on the Scallop Carpaccio, mainly because its texture freaked me out. My friend loved it. She also was wild about the mashed potatoes with king crab - I don't eat crab so I did not taste it. The Mache salad seemed small at first but once we were finished it was the perfect size, filling because of the poached egg which made the dressing thick and creamy. The cod was delightful as was the cheese plate. An experience to remember!Special Features:
- Nice little restaurant. Intimate.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014Great little restaurant living up to a good French restaurant reputation. Small selections, but high quality, of dishes. Could improve on desert choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small & hard to find but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/2/2014It took us a bit to find it, but it is worth it. It is small, with most tables upstairs, but the servers are quite good & the food was excellent. The wine list was quite good & was paired well with the food by the server.Special Features:
- Great restaurantsveneDined on 6/26/2014Went to a restaurant with my friend. It is small yet cute and full of character. The food was delicious. Really well cooked. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the wine selection. We chose to have the whites that day. The Vognier was thick and extremely sweet like a dessert wine. I couldn't finish my glass. Then we order another bottle of white. It was so so too. Perhaps the reds are better.Special Features:
- Yummy hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014What a great find...we took a chance on this not having it been recommended. Apps and entree's were both delicious and the wait staff was awesome. Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we found this restaurant!GladsDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food,great service and cozy ambiance! Intimate restaurant that delivers great food!The duck confit and pork belly - a must have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.