1729 Maryland Ave
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bottega1729.com/
- Phone: 4437085709
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Private dinners are welcome.
They are served family style, and the entire restaurant is yours.
- Private Party Contact: Adrien 2013031854x
A word from Bottega
BOTTEGA BYOB's daily changing menu is based on the Tuscan philosophy of fresh, seasonal and simple cuisine. Two or three ingredients for each dish. All our flour based pasta such as tortelli and tagliatelle are hand made in house. We only use the best locally sourced meats and freshest fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Bottega - Best Restaurants in Station North ›
Bottega reviews from OpenTable diners
173 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (152)neighborhood gem (112)special occasion (69)romantic (66)hot spot (43)late-night find (18)good for groups (9)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- A real gem!xinaruthVIPDined on 8/8/2014Bottega is a diamond in the rough on their block - but it's worth the trip! If you eat NOTHING ELSE, by all means, get the Malfatti. It should be required eating, as once you have that dish, you just know you'll be back for more. Service and ambience are both equally charming. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Such a different place!AnonymousVIPDined on 8/7/2014The most important thing, of course, is that the food is outstanding. Add the fact that it's BYOB and you have a marvelous restaurant that's well-worth the cost, which is quite fair for the quality of food. To get all that, you must be able to deal with a certain level of quirkiness. You, the customer, must follow Bottega's rules for the privilege of dining: difficult reservation times, polite but indifferent service, and dining on a schedule (this is not the kind of place you can linger between courses or eat your first course and then decide what to eat next). Some may find the pace too quick. But, don't eat here as a prelude to something else; it is the main event for the evening, even if your reservation is for 6:00. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Peculiar menu on chalk boarddvikibDined on 8/6/2014I literally could not find an entree that appealed to me for dinner on their very limited chalk board menu. I had chocolate caramel pie only which was good but odd for dinner. My friend liked her small portion of beef cheek pasta (no bread was offered). She was told no pie was available for her after she finished her meal. The pies still needed to sit for another half hour. This was a little over an hour after the restaurant opened. Why would the pies not be ready when you only carry 2 desserts? It is BYOB but I did not know that and we were only offered water to drink. I fixed myself dinner when I got home. I eat out at least twice a week but I will not be returning. The high ratings on open table mystify me.
- Incredibly deliciousFeedMeDined on 8/2/2014This was our second time to Bottega and it was as great as the first visit. We had a larger group, 8 of us. I like that the menu changes because it sort of makes you order something new and not fall back on something you tried and enjoyed during a previous visit. We had the tomato panzenella, beef cheeks, pappardelle with rabbit, shrimp with polenta, and of course the salted caramel pie. Our server was great--we all felt like we were at his house. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ValueJackVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our first time at Bottega, and we will definitely be returning soon. Terrific quality food and a very inventive menu. We highly recommend this dining experience. And the fact that it is BYO makes it an even greater value.Special Features:
- Great FoodClarksburgNJDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant is all about serving what is fresh at the market today. Wonderful tastes and preparation. Very inexpensive, BYOB. We had a 4 course outstanding dinner for $60 a person. Do not come here for the ambiance, it is very rustic and small. 8 small wooden tables and chairs. It is like eating in someone's old kitchen. This is just to let you know it is all about the food, we quite enjoyed the casual setting. Be on time, it is so small they have it timed perfectly for your arrival. Would definitely come back. Off the beaten path neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Bottega is not to be missedDondiDined on 8/1/2014An extraordinary find--intimate, unpretentious setting, small but wonderful selection of appetizers and entrees, fresh, creative. Felt like I was traveling in Europe and came upon a treasure. Omnivores and vegetarians are treated to a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little GemWorthTheDineDined on 8/1/2014By far, best food had for the price in quite a long time. Often a restaurant's reputation or recommendations from a variety of sources have caused me to have high expectations for a chef/restaurant and at minimum an expectation of walking away satisfied - and often, I am left disappointed. That was certainly not the case with Bottega and I will be looking for the next opportunity to return... if I can get a reservation! The fact that the restaurant is BYOB is icing on the cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 7/31/2014Spectacular food. Comically rude service. The waiter ignored us for the first 15 minutes, which is very hard to do in such a small restaurant! It almost felt like a skit from Saturday Night Live. On the other hand, the owner was lovely.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014Finding a parking space on the street directly in front of Bottega was the beginning of a good evening. The blackboards list the evening's options, several small plates and a few entrees. We chose an eggplant appetizer and one featuring beets. Both delicious. Entrees of a rabbit stew and pappardelle, followed by a dessert of ricotta and blueberries completed a tasty dinner. It's BYOB, so bring beer or wine. Service was terrific and friendly. There are eight tables, well spaced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummieBaltimoronDined on 7/29/20142nd timer here, superlative words cannot begin to characterize the food at Bottega. Best short ribs I've ever had. Do yourself a favor and come with an empty stomach, and plan to feast. Order several pre-entrees to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner In BaltimoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014We have dined here several times and it just keeps getting better. And the first time we went was perfection! A must try when in Baltimore, and it's BYOB so bring a white and a red and get ready for a melt-in-your mouth evening. Order one of everything and share, if you can!
- No salt and pepper required!FoodiesonabudgetDined on 7/25/2014My husband had wanted to try this place since they opened... It's quaint 8 table restaurant and open kitchen make it a casual, yet extremely personal experience. Our meal was in every way perfect! Every aspect was delicious and most importantly, perfectly seasoned. No salt and pepper required! We would definitely recommend a reservation, since it is limited seating. My husband and I witnessed numerous people being turned away due to lack of reservation and Bottega being booked solid for the night. We can't wait to eat there again, over, and over again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great resturant, poor execution.StienburgDined on 7/23/2014Had heard great things about Bottega and was very excited to go. Ambience is awesome, everything seemed great. Ordered Paperdella with duck as a starter. It looked amazing. My first bite of pasta was still fairly underdone, subsequent bites got better. Thought it was still a buy under seasoned. We got two entrees - a shrimp and clam risotto and braised rabbit legs. The risotto was cooked very well. If I had a complaint about that dish was that there were 4 shrimp in it...not big ones either. At $26.00 I would expect a touch more. The rabbit legs were over done and lacked seasoning. I really wanted to like this place and it wasn't terrible but I expected more for a $64.00 tab.
- Love love loveRobTrombleyDined on 7/23/2014You won't find any better food in Baltimore. I'm looking at you Woodberry. The price, the farm to table menu, the staff, I wouldn't change a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer ComfortForageAheadDined on 7/17/2014We started with an anchovies crostini that was well balanced with a pickled onion. This was paired with a smoked bluefish salad that was spot on with simplicity, just butter lettuce and the fish. While my date was powdering her nose, I took the liberty of ordering the duck and the short rib. We birth appreciated the smokie and clove flavor that peeked through the duck. The collards appeared to be flash fried. It was a cute trick that worked and didn't annoy. The short rib was quite fork tender. The show stopper for us was the "runner beans" that reminded me of fresh beans in Jamaica. A true Italian rustic meal with Yardie appeal. Truly comforting food that was hearty and right, not too light.Special Features:
- Service was surprising ....TGLIBDined on 7/10/2014The first time at bottega was outstanding.... Food, ambience and enthusiastic service; a gem. This last time both the food and ambience were the same, outstanding, but the service was such a disappointment. Not a word of greeting, slow, lack of attention, took a break in the middle of service to take a break outside.... So disappointing. I certainly will go back but am hopeful the service will be back up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shows promiseEdnorDinerDined on 7/9/2014Great small space-felt like I was in a coastal town on one of the bays. The duck entree was bland & might as well have been a steak. HOWEVER the oven roasted fish was killer. I'd go back for that alone. Had a salad that was delicious, and a fava bean and new garlic crostini type thing which I could have eaten a million of. I felt a little rushed to get out after being there an hour...don't really know the etiquette there but it seemed appropriate for the type of spot it is. I just think the price point needs to be a bit lower if they want to move tables faster. Well used space. I think it just needs some kinks worked out and it will be a bright neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic Charm, Savory FoodGastroDudeDined on 7/5/2014We were two, la femme et le homme, and we started with a dense, garlic-infused bruschetta, a very good start, and we then each picked an entree, la femme selecting a pasta dish which turned out to have flavorful, full-width, flat noodles and a smoky tomato based sauce and le homme selecting the sausage entree that came with a sweetly pickled cabbage accompaniment; both dishes proved excellent and just the ticket to lead to our sharing an extremely dense and flavorful chocolate torte for dessert. We brought our own wine--a must in my opinion. The tab was reasonable and the ambiance a perfect antidote to the seductions of glamour--one can imagine, at Bottega, having tumbled into an intimate, out of the way bistro headed by a very good chef.Special Features:
- Still greatBillVIPDined on 7/2/2014When Bottega first opened it received rave reviews which made it very difficult to get in the door. We have been there three times now and each time have had great food (vaguely Italian) and a funky, fun experience. You can find menus on their Facebook page -- each night is a little different. It's BYOB, which saves a ton of money and guarantees wine you like. The place is really intimate.Special Features:
- FANTASTIC!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014This is our second time there. The food is fabulous. Make sure you leave room for the salted caramel pie. The waitress (I'm sorry I forgot her name) is great and will give you great tips on what to order.Special Features:
- hype is rightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014Bottega had delicious food! We had heard so much about it and were very eager to try it out. We had to wait a week and a half for a reservation but it was totally worth it! From the apps to the dinner to the dessert...food was fresh and very full of flavor.Special Features:
- What's all the praise about?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/1/2014I id not find that this restaurant met the high expectations set by friends who have already eaten there. The food was not inspiring, rather bland, very expensive. Ambience? More like an old row house that was not renovated before it became a restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious!mjp1Dined on 6/28/2014This was our first visit to Bottega and we were very impressed. The food was exceptional! The atmosphere could be a little better but is worth the trade off for the great food.Special Features:
- EatingwellEatingwellDined on 6/28/2014Great food, great service. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a creative dishes and a restaurant that appreciates good food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/27/2014Excellent food in a casual setting! The eggant parmigiana was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy To Have Bottega in BaltimoreOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/26/2014Moved from SF back when B'more had little more to recommend it foodwise, than a few good crab cake joints. So much change since then. Many more choices, and Bottega ranks among the best of them. Love Bottega's scale. There is an intimacy here that is hard to find anywhere else. Don't know if its size is sustainable, but I certainly hope so. We have dined at Bottega 4 times, so far. Will go again and again. The flavors coming out of this kitchen are without peer among Baltimore restaurants. Thoughtful, sophisticated flavor and texture combinations. Aromas start you salivating well before your food arrives at table. They have yet to serve me a meal I was not thoroughly satisfied with. Service perfectly attentive. Dessert, delish. Go!Special Features:
- try some joie de cookingchatandchewDined on 6/24/2014Situated somewhere between hipster and foodie haven Bottega delivers the goods. A small place, be forewarned that the noise level is better described as loud than, ummm, 'energetic'. Take advantage of the BYOB (i.e., bring 2 bottles of wine) and let the meal unfold while you wait and get caught up with friends and the wee details of life therein. The food is good on all counts and these are folks who not only care about what they serve, they make interesting choices. The love and care taken is also reflected in the healthy prices for moderate portions. The portion control aspect is ultimately healthier in these days of supersizing, but it makes it much harder to share with others which is the result when you start to taste things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely recommend BottegaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014We came for our anniversary so small and intimate was perfect for the occasion. We liked the candlelight and distressed wood decor The food was superb but because of the size of the place, the menu was limited. Also had to make reservations months in advance because of limited seating. The cost was reasonable and BYOB made the meal even more affordable.Special Features:
- BottegaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Great if you bring your own wine. The food was excellent but having not realized we needed to bring our own wine it was kind of bland just sitting and waiting for the main course to come- no bread was served and the service was noticeably quiet.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014Make your reservations way in advance. This is a fabulous but tiny place. Food is definitely made with love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!Suz7Dined on 6/19/2014I had to make the reservation two weeks in advance but I am so glad we tried it! The menu is only on the chalk board so you have to get up to check it out but everything we had was lovely. Butter lettuce salad with anchovies (nice little slabs), my boyfriend had the pork shank and I have veal ravioli (althought it was called something more exotic on the board) with Demi glaze sauce. Sooooo tasty. Definitely worth the wait for the reservation.Special Features:
- Holland5Dined on 6/19/2014Duck breast had good flavor but was over-cooked even after sending it back, lamb shank over-cooked as well. Beet crostini excellent. Like bringing own wine! Appetizers good over-all.
- Hidden TreasureChuckFoodCriticVIPDined on 6/18/2014Bottega has only 14 tables so getting a reservation before 9:00pm can be difficult even weeks in advance. But, it's well worth it! Delicious farm to table menu that changes seasonally as one would expect. BYOB makes it a very inexpensive evening with great food!Special Features:
- BottegaOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/18/2014Perfect neighborhood gem that I hope survives. We need more places like this. Love the fact that it is BYOB. Food was amazing and I will definitely be going back. Staff also very pleasant. Love the fact that it is a small place, which means you need to plan in advance if you want to go and make reservations. Well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasureLive2eatDined on 6/18/2014We planned ahead - a must for this tiny restaurant. The food is Italian, carefully and thoughtfully prepared. It's utterly unpretentious and the food is sensational. We had spinach malfatti that were fabulous. And crostini made with a sharp, creamy cheese, cucumbers and smoked mussels. This is a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014This was our third time at Bottega and each time the food has been very fresh, tasty and special. It is a nice low key place, a pleasant change from some other eating establishments that seem to create a big deal vibe!Special Features:
- Cool spotItaliangirl2VIPDined on 6/11/2014After trying a few times to get a reservation we finally were able to experience Bottega. The food was delicious and Ruth out serving was great. We did forget to BYOB but we were able to find a place close by to buy some wine. We look forward to our next meal at Bottega. Definitely a cool spot !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food! Worth the wait!bmorefoodieDined on 6/7/2014I have been trying to get a reservation at Bottega for months and months and months. I finally booked a reservation for last week and it was well-worth the wait. The food was absolutely amazing. My husband and I shared the oxtail crostini; burrata with roasted tomatoes; and pasta with lamb bolognese. I had the pork shank and he had the lamb neck. Everything was superb.Special Features:
- Superb, againfan4foodVIPDined on 6/6/2014My husband and love Bottega. The food is exceptional. The pasta is among the best we have had. The vegetarian option - roasted asparagus with polenta was outstanding - as was my husband's rabbit leg. It is certainly one of our favorite restaurants in Baltimore. The server are attentive but not overbearing as we have found service to be in some of the newer restaurants. One of my pet peeves is to be asked too often how I am enjoying the meal. At a previous restaurant, we were asked so many times that we hardly had a chance to enjoy the dinner. That doesn't happen at Bottega though the server is always there when needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.