80 Wagaraw Road
Hawthorne, NJ 07506Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bottagra.com/
- Phone: 9734234433
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Carlo Carbonaro/Robert Vicari John Chomenko pastry
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bottagra offers a full off-site and on premise. Catering menu available anytime.
- Private Party Facilities: For a Private dining experience, Bottagra Restaurant offers three separate and very distinct rooms. Perfectly suited for corporate events, intimate weddings, or even just a casual dinner with friends our facilities can cater to all you needs. Our Private Dining Room, with seating for up to twenty, features french doors and separate butlers entrance. Our Lounge, with space for fifteen, has an inviting fireplace as well as flat screen television with state-of-the-art audio visual capabilities. Lastly our Wine Room is large enough to accommodate forty quests and is accented with another fireplace and also showcases Bottagra"s extensive collection of fine wines from around the world.
- Private Party Contact: David Arsenault 9734234433
- Entertainment: Bottagra Features live music every Friday night as well as special engagements throughout the year. Please check our website for date listings.
A word from Bottagra
Located in Hawthorne"s historic Degray house, Bottagra Restaurant opened its doors in early 2008. What was once used as an encampment for General Lafayette's troops during the Revolutionary War has been transformed into a modern, elegant restaurant with the feel and charm of a Tuscan villa. Chef-Owners Robert Vicari and Carlo Carbonara have fused their extensive restaurant experience together to offer a variety of dishes hailing from both the northern and southern regions of Italy. Offering a full bar and extensive wine list, as well as private rooms, Bottagra is a diners' dream for gatherings both large and small.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bottagra reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (34)special occasion (30)romantic (22)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (18)notable wine list (13)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Another good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Pay attention to the specials....had a pecan crusted tile fish---wow. These reviews get boring because the food is always so good.Special Features:
- Romantic Date NightWillbeback23Dined on 8/16/2014Was given a great, quiet table that provided a great chance to have a conversation with my date. The service was outstanding and very attentive but also did not rush us thru dinner ( which is a big thing for me). The food was amazing and we both enjoyed each course tremendously !Special Features:
- Return Visit - Still Very GoodTravelerJohnDined on 8/16/2014Not much to say. Been here before and not disappointed. Food is exceptional, especially the specials. Service is good, even the busboys. Wine list is adequate and seems reasonably priced. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014Terrific service and wonderful food, I would definitely come back to this restaurant . A gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlo is the bestsuchafoodieVIPDined on 8/2/2014Carlo has been serving up great Italian food, both traditional and modern, for many years. He just keeps getting better. Every course for each of our four diners was great and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delightful experienceMoviemanDined on 8/2/2014This is a delightful place for dinner. The staff could not be nicer or more accommodating. The food is delicious and prepared exactly the way you like it. The atmosphere is lovely. The room temperature tends to be on the coolish side but management is working on making it more comfortable. Would recommend it to anyone.
- Expensive but wonderfulepicuriouserinDined on 7/19/2014My boyfriend and I went here for my birthday. I ordered the carpaccio and oysters. Oysters were delicious & carpaccio was good, although not the best I've had. It was difficult to eat & stuck to the plate, though the arugula salad that went along with it was very good. My boyfriend ordered one of the specials, a strawberry, peach, gorgonzola salad. He liked it very much. We both ordered specials for the entrees. He ordered the hanger steak with potato gratin & broccoli rabe. The steak had a great char & was cooked very well. The potato gratin was to die for, and was a fan of the broccoli rabe. I got the grouper with polenta crust on seafood risotto. EXCELLENT! Can't speak more highly...as a special occasion spot, I definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindFoodloverDined on 7/19/2014Excellent service, Martini and wine. The menu is very creative and we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. It wasn't a special occasion but our waiter made it feel like one.Special Features:
- A wonderful eveningMoviemanDined on 7/18/2014The staff at Bottagra was friendly and accommodating and went out of their way to make us comfortable. They were willing to make food in any way we wanted and were concerned that it was to our liking. We had a wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLuluDined on 7/17/2014Better than the last time!!! My now "go to" spot for any occasion!!!Special Features:
- LuluDined on 7/2/2014Food is very good. However, the specials were a bit overpriced. Stick to the regular menu.Special Features:
- Good FindReviewmanVIPDined on 6/22/2014First time at restaurant. Very odd location -- next to a place that sells giant (and I mean GIANT) tires. My meal -- chicken parm was very good. Wife thought the special spinach fettuccine had too much pancetta and some of it was under cooked. I tried it and liked it however. Service is good. One odd thing -- I asked the woman who sat us if there was a wine list and the request seemed to throw her. Unsure if most people just buy by the glass or if she was new. Not a big deal, our waiter brought the list. It's just never happened before. I plan on going back to try a second time!Special Features:
- LOVE!YeehawDined on 6/20/2014We frequent Bottogra and they never disappoint. They know what it means to make an amazing dish and their service is unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014It was our first time at Bottagra, after hearing wonderful things we decided to give it a try. I had specifically requested to be sat away from the main dining area, upon our arrival they had our table set up in our own private room. It was perfect. The service was impeccable. We never once looked around for our waiter. There was always somebody around to fill up our glasses. The food was great and they did a nice job creating a vegan dish for my father. Like others have noted, the zeppoles were phenomenal! Also, very family friendly. We brought our 2 year old daughter with us and they made us feel very welcomed. We are planning on going back for another wonderful meal.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/6/2014We LOVE this place! I never open my menu bc there IS always something on the specials that I get!!! It's a MUST TRY!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarmalitaDined on 6/6/2014The restaurant is trying to be an upscale establishment with their valet parking and higher menu prices, but the interior does not carry that feeling. The drapes that are used to separate the bar from the restaurant give an "unclean" feeling as does the ugly brown carpeting. If they are trying to promote this place as an upscale establishment, they need to upgrade their decor. Aside from the decor, the food was good. The service could have been a little more attentive. The waiter was right there as soon as we sat down to take our order but once the food came out, we never saw him again until it was time to deliver the check.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Great FoodDrewDined on 5/24/2014Just about everything I ordered at Bottagra was great, and the portions were generous for a higher end establishment like this. Only reason I didn't rate it five-stars is because the dessert was lackluster -- I was hoping for the molten chocolate brownie advertised on the website, and had to settle for a chocolate panna cotta that had recently replaced the brownie; it just wasn't that great, and the other dessert options seemed pretty pointless as well.Special Features:
- GOOD ITALIAN FOODJUDYDined on 5/23/2014While there were few surprises on the menu, our experience was delightful. I had a pasta dish that I would order again and they were very accommodating in allowing me to change the type of pasta in this dish. I would definitely dine here again. Service was superb - faultless.Special Features:
- Good Food, but Not Sure I'd ReturnvabeachgirlinNJDined on 5/22/2014We tried this place for a family dinner based on reviews here and by co-workers. It's a strange place. Food and service were strictly fine dining, and excellent. Very good selection of wines by the glass. Cavernous room and enormous table -- very loud and hard to talk. White tablecloths but ugly old brown carpet and no candles. Sports on the TV and no music playing. Casually dressed local neighborhood crowd. I came away thinking that the place just doesn't know what it wants to be -- is it fine dining or a neighborhood bar? Might go back for the food, but definitely not for the ambiance. A bit of a let down...Special Features:
- MuzzyVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have eaten at Bottagra many times for dinner. The food is alway enjoyable although our server was lacking a personality. Overall a nice place to dine with friends.
- ALWAYS GOODOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2014as usual a great meal. been here more times than I can count and the reviews always the same.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAM122399Dined on 5/15/2014Everything about this restaurant is excellent; the food, decor, staff, service and ambiance! Pricing is reasonable based on the quality of food and portion size! Cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Reliable - Quality FoodGourmet007VIPDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day buffet had two rooms of food. Something to please every palette! Nice friendly service also for drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- davinciDined on 5/7/2014This was the first time at this restaurant - I was pleasantly surprised. Food was very good as was the service. The hosted greeted us with big "hello" and was very friendly.Special Features:
- The following 315 reviews are from the Bottagra reviews archive.
- Nice changeRandDined on 5/3/2014First time at bogratta and it did not disappoint. Food was very good and a nice upbeat atmosphere. Excellent bar! Delicious desserts! A bit pricey but not over the top. I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience....ChallyDined on 4/26/2014The service was excellent, from the valet parking thru desert. The appetizers, and desert outshined the main course although, but very good as well. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting an evening out at a high energy spot. The bar was lively and well stocked. It is a louder crowd in my opinion. I prefer a quieter place personally, but had a very good experience at do recommend it.......Bottargra!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!BarbieDined on 4/25/2014The food, ambiance and service at Bottagra are always fabulous. It's no wonder it is always so busy!Special Features:
- FantasticKymbelinaDined on 4/19/2014I used to live a few blocks away from here but never went b/c the place that was there before was just terrible. After a few good reviews from friends, we decided to try it for our anniversary dinner. It's beautiful, the food was amazing, the service was top notch, first class. There's valet parking, an extensive wine list and we for a little while it felt like we were back in Italy having a fantastic meal. I'd highly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningengineroVIPDined on 4/4/2014Had a great time and wonderful food! Went while visiting friends from Hawthorne and everyone enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- Great night out!LindaDined on 4/4/2014We were a group of 4 ladies and wished to sit and enjoy a cocktail prior to dinner. The waiter never rushed us. The food was very good from the appetizers through desserts, especially the biscotti. We plan on going back with a larger group to enjoy the private room. A very nice location for a Friday night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high energy atmosphere, aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014high energy atmosphere, a bit loud so know that it is not the right seting for a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Having never been there before,jadamusDined on 3/21/2014Having never been there before, and seeing the area where the building is, I wasn't sure what to make of it. The valet service was nice, and everything inside is dark, moody and spacious - like a cave where food makes up for how much brown there is. The food IS the reason you're there. With over a dozen specials on a Friday night, and a menu that just begs to be explored, it's a great romantic and slightly dressy date night. Counting appetizer, entrees, dessert and coffee, the price makes this not a regular dinner spot, but we were never rushed over the three hours we dined. This is absolutely a place to go back to.Special Features:
- Keeps you coming back for more!bulldog70VIPDined on 3/15/2014We discovered this place a few years back and can't stop coming back week after week. The food is spectacular and the staff is like family. Don't bother looking at the menu, as their specials list is just as long and, in my opinion, has the best options. Although if you like the traditional Italian dishes with a twist, then you'll find them on the menu. And at the end, get the zeppolis!! Out of control delicious! The restaurant has private rooms for parties, intimate booths for a romantic gathering, or a broad dining room where you have room to move and not feel like you are having dinner with the couples next to you. The staff is phenomenal; they are great at steering you to their best dishes if you are undecided. Enjoy this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Cowboy Steakkc1201Dined on 3/15/2014Were seated at table outside the kitchen area, asked for a change it seems the area is saved for the Maitre D to wait . Our waiter did not come to the table. The Bus boy did ask us about water the Danny/Maitre finally got us a drink menu and recited specials did an amazing job. I split a salad with my wife, came undresed. cowboy steak sounded amazing we had to order it. explained it is so big plenty for 2 it was such a large piece of meat for $70.00. The bus boy brought us appetizer plates for it. Well we could have actually used them since the steak was awful, not enough for one no less 2. Fatty. Requested the MaitreD and when my wife went off on him he walked away and did not try to rectify the problem. Avoided us as we left. Unacceptable
- Another great meal at Bottagra....JoeRockVIPDined on 3/15/201436 oz Cowboy Ribeye was off the charts! Service as always was top notch. Great job guys!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect night out!MarmosergirlDined on 3/15/2014We had an excellent dinner experience! Service was excellent. Food was superb! I've told all my friends and certainly plan on going back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingStacysimmsDined on 3/14/2014Fun night with great food great service will be back very soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestFinediningDined on 3/7/2014Better then capital grill, food was hands down the best I've ever had in 40 years on this ball of dirt. Took my wife out for a new beginning, and didn't even get drinks but the prices are reasonable for the class of people there. Valet parking, easy to find and they make you feel like you are the only people there. Staff was top notch. It was a little noisy but as groups left it was much more relaxing. Wasn't annoying loud in there as you can hold a low conversation. Plenty of room around the tables. Little over 100 for two specials. Swordfish was mouth watering, even the salad was amazing, fresh and great texture. The dressing was perfect compliment to the apple slices and chick peas and lettuce greens.Just in awe how well the food tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Dinner againpaullagsDined on 2/28/2014Very good. I'll be back in a month or so. I enjoyed the wines by glass and the meal was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nightkc1201Dined on 2/22/2014Reservation was for 7:45 and we were seated at that exact time. We were not asked to go to the bar just so they could make some extra money like most restaurants do. We had 4 courses and all were amazing. Our waiter and rest of the staff was extremely knowledgeable and polite and not overbearing. Only thing out of a special Appetizer by 8:00. Not a place for kids, this is an adult only.Special Features: